Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

hanyolo posted:

This could be a NAT issue. I see the blinking when I find players and then usually 1-2 people drop. Then of course it doesn't find other players and times out :smith:

Edit: Ok getting a few good games in a row now, the MP is still buggy as poo poo though, how could they have not patched in a return to menu, especially after the preview weekend?

I ended up fixing the problem by hard resetting my xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I can't get enough of this game. It's just crisp. The ledge boost is really smooth too.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Booties posted:

From the home screen you can highlight Halo 5 Beta, press start, then quit game. This works in place of starting a different game then starting Halo up again. I don't think this replaces instances requiring a hard reset.

Yeah I quit all the time. Seems like a hard reset is more effective. I haven't tried the game idea since I don't have one.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

WDA info:

quote:

((k+1/3 a) - d)/ games. Not comparable to players with different CSRs though (eg gold vs onyx)

https://twitter.com/joshua_menke/status/546825972847099904

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Happy to hear that bumper jump still lives. I was going to be cranked if you had to mash a bunch of buttons to do anything. Excited to use clamber, jumping around maps should be fun.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
ahaha

http://xboxclips.com/ChadDaniel/ec4f7600-1124-4693-b679-cc091352cc65

Texibus
May 18, 2008
that's pretty funny.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Booties posted:

From the home screen you can highlight Halo 5 Beta, press start, then quit game. This works in place of starting a different game then starting Halo up again. I don't think this replaces instances requiring a hard reset.

It doesn't and the fact that you have to unplug the Xbone to hard reset it drives me mental.

Its like they're trying to make it worse than the 360 on purpose.

:allears: that's some fun physics right there.

Don't really care for the look of the new energy sword though. Why you gotta gently caress with everything, 343? It was fine!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
There is a setting I think in the power options that makes it boot every time you shut it off, maybe that's your option.

They really need to add an escape hatch for these lobbies that go no where.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

That's hilarious

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

It doesn't and the fact that you have to unplug the Xbone to hard reset it drives me mental.

Its like they're trying to make it worse than the 360 on purpose.

Hold the power button, like any other device you want to hard reset since like 2002?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Laserface posted:

Hold the power button, like any other device you want to hard reset since like 2002?

Still requires me to get up off my couch and access the xbox physically when I have a perfectly good wireless controller in my hands. Not really much different.

Whats the thought there anyways? Players may not be smart enough to hard reset their own machines... so we make it even harder to do for those times when they have to?

I mean clearly the intent is for a device which is on 24/7 and never has to be hard reset, but the Xbone is so far from a server machine its not even funny.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
If you get stuck in a lobby I heard that snapping a party, starting a party and selecting "Leave multiplayer" can get you back to the main menu.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah, I figured that out. I'm playing right now if anyone wants to join up. GT: Texibus

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Well after sinking some time into this game, I can confirm, it is in fact another halo game. I don't really know what I expected, it doesn't do anything exceptionally well that halo hasn't done before. It is basically as bland, if not blander, than CoD at this point.

Fantastic innovation, 9/10.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Just played with an onyx that went 1-13. Good lord

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
For a secret Easter egg press the X button really really fast at the main menu!

it crashes the game and your console

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

You can ADS with the sword.

And it increases your lunge range.

There's not enough what in my body to describe how confused I am by this revelation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

There's not enough what in my body to describe how confused I am by this revelation.

:psyduck: 343 noooooo.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

I want the loving lore reason for this hahaha It makes no sense!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

well you see when you are wielding a sword made of pure energy you want to focus all your vision down the sights on the sword (btw the sword has ironsights) and when you aim down sights on guns you shoot better so therefore the sights on the sword make you sword better.

it makes perfect sense, immersion, perspective, lore, reasons, Halo, e-sports, MLG.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Laserface posted:

well you see when you are wielding a sword made of pure energy you want to focus all your vision down the sights on the sword (btw the sword has ironsights) and when you aim down sights on guns you shoot better so therefore the sights on the sword make you sword better.

it makes perfect sense, immersion, perspective, lore, reasons, Halo, e-sports, MLG.

Makes sense, swords need scopes to work at distances beyond normal swording ranges.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Everybody knows if a spartan is swinging a sword and they get shot, they flinch.

Yeah those spartans sure are known for their hesitation.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
So that cutscene, after you click on the Beta for the first time, is pretty cool. I'm a sucker for some Keith David.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

That`s loving retarded

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I mean to be fair there's no literal sights on it or anything. Holding the ADS button makes you hold the sword slightly forward and straigther, like you're menacing someone with a dagger or something. But it does have a slight zoom and definitely increases the lunge range.

And yeah, it's dumb.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 31, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BabyMauler posted:

So that cutscene, after you click on the Beta for the first time, is pretty cool. I'm a sucker for some Keith David.

With Cortana dead and Chief on his way out, Arbiter is the most interesting character left.

Never thought I'd say it, but bring on the Arbiter.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I mean to be fair there's no literal sights on it or anything. Holding the ADS button makes you hold the sword slightly forward and straigther, like you're menacing someone with a dagger or something. But it does have a slight zoom and definitely increases the lunge range.

And yeah, it's dumb.

I suck with the sword enough as it is. Did they really need to add another layer of depth onto it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Finally managed to get into a game :toot:

Still took me getting booted like 8 times first. Need to fix the servers, but its a beta so I can ignore that pretty much.

Controls feel pretty responsive and the game does feel pretty Halo, given that there's only the one map and team slayer.
Aim down sights feels just like Destiny and for the pistol, DMR, sniper, etc. it feels GREAT. But for the AR and a few others... it feels awkward. I hate that I feel like I have to use it since there's an accuracy bonus, but if you get shot with the AR you flinch... what the gently caress? :v:

The voices... I actually like the idea of having callouts in-game like Left4Dead, "reloading!" and "Med kit here!" or "Shotgun over here!", that's all pretty great and informative.
But the voices themselves... are just way too bro-y. And too happy! Chief was always pretty grim, he was fulfilling a duty, but he wasn't having a blast. (We the players were :shobon:) The Spartans in Reach were even worse, they kinda knew it was turning into a suicide mission, but they did their jobs. These new guys are just like a bunch of basketball players, high fiving each other.

They've turned Halo into literally Unreal Tournament. I don't know why they felt they had to do that. Nobody needed a lore explanation for multiplayer. It was just fun times for Halo dudes to shoot each other. You don't need to give it a loving setting in the canon, 343! :argh:

I do like the new SMG model, they did a thing with the ammo clip like a P90 and its pretty cool and different.
I have no problem with the dodge, and the mantling is actually very good and comfortable.

Mostly this looks good, but I wish they didn't feel they had to change so much just... to be different or something.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I love getting a big win streak with the most kills on my team only to get a performance increase bonus of +3 or +7

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Zaphod42 posted:

They've turned Halo into literally Unreal Tournament. I don't know why they felt they had to do that. Nobody needed a lore explanation for multiplayer. It was just fun times for Halo dudes to shoot each other. You don't need to give it a loving setting in the canon, 343! :argh:

As a pure viewer, I wish they had done that because it's kind of bland to watch. In previous ones you had alien weapons so there was some visual flash going on in matches. But right now it's just like Titanfall where you're in a future setting but it's still just pistol, sniper rifle, shotgun without anything added to them to leverage the "future" setting. And I begin to wonder the point of having a health and shield bar in MP when there isn't a different set of damage classes for energy and bullet weapons. Is there some later reveal of energy weapons for the MP or is the health bar just a vestigial tail from when they had creative weapon types?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ape Agitator posted:

As a pure viewer, I wish they had done that because it's kind of bland to watch. In previous ones you had alien weapons so there was some visual flash going on in matches. But right now it's just like Titanfall where you're in a future setting but it's still just pistol, sniper rifle, shotgun without anything added to them to leverage the "future" setting. And I begin to wonder the point of having a health and shield bar in MP when there isn't a different set of damage classes for energy and bullet weapons. Is there some later reveal of energy weapons for the MP or is the health bar just a vestigial tail from when they had creative weapon types?

They're not going to not have alien weapon in Halo, dude. That's just the beta.

At least... they'd be crazy not to.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just prioritized a given list of weapons for the beta, and the rest of them don't have finished animations yet or whatever.
No doubt there'll be some new weapons too. Halo 4 tried adding a ton (Promethan) even if it stumbled. They're not going to not do new guns.

Also you completely missed my point. I wasn't commenting on the levels. The levels should be set in the campaign settings, in colorful halo environments. And you're right the current maps feel esports and not very interesting.
But I was just bitching about the focus of the story and the voices. I don't mind having a couple barebones maps, there'll be all kinds of maps in the final game. It just kinda sucks that the only maps we have now are super boring esports stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've watched a couple of streams and I get the complaints about the voiceovers.

TTK seems a lot shorter than I remember halo 2 and 3 being or am I just old and/or watching people mostly mow down idiots?

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Bobtista posted:

They're annoying while watching, but super useful in game

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds
I'm enjoying it so far, and I was one of the few that enjoyed Halo 4. It's got most of what I liked about 4, minus some of the more interesting armour abilities (hologram).

I was a bit worried about the whole professional gaming focus, given that pro gamers seem to despise pretty much everything that's enjoyable (if it's fun, then it "adds an element of randomness" and must be removed for everyone), but it seems to have turned out well

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Finding games a lot easier today (within 1 min) but after the game is done there is still a 50% chance of the whole lobby getting stuck in "searching for players" which requires you to restart the game entirely.

While we're on it, random thoughts:

- TTK is maybe a little bit too low
- Battle rifle is OP
- I'm not sure what I think about the grenades launching you up / sideways when they explode near you, leaning towards liking it as a new change
- Wouldn't mind ground pound having a bit longer range
- Need some kind of indicator for the non special weapons, took me ages to find some of them leaning up against the walls
- Blue aiming sights against blue team on a blue map, rookie error there
- Dash is awesome
- Clamber is awesome

The bro stuff wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was from the posts I've seen here, I also really like the automatic AI communication when you're near someone

Looking forward to jumping out of a warthog and ground pounding some nubs when this is released though :woop:

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Only been on like 30 minutes. Just started my 3rd match. Much improvement.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bobtista posted:

TTK seems a lot shorter than I remember halo 2 and 3 being or am I just old and/or watching people mostly mow down idiots?

TTK definitely felt a bit faster to me. But I don't know if that was just my perception or what.

MickRaider posted:

They're annoying while watching, but super useful in game

Again, we're not saying there shouldn't be voiceovers. We're saying this particular voice actor(s) or the direction given was all wrong.

I would love to have voiceovers, they are indeed useful, but don't make them so drat NFL. These are Spartans; Soldiers.

I guess the war's over and now everybody just plays Griffball for fun?

hanyolo posted:

- Blue aiming sights against blue team on a blue map, rookie error there

Its a nitpick but its a good one. Throw a 3rd color in there, 343.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 31, 2014

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

hanyolo posted:

Finding games a lot easier today (within 1 min) but after the game is done there is still a 50% chance of the whole lobby getting stuck in "searching for players" which requires you to restart the game entirely.

Instead of exiting the game do this:

Snap party
start party
leave > multiplayer

problem solved. Should take you back to the main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

I think the BR and DMR TTK are fine, but I think the AR needs 2 more bullets to kill

• Locked thread