Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Thufir posted:

Having the puck on your stick is not really a good possession indicator since you can spend a lot of time with complete control over the puck without having your stick physically in contact with it. It's probably way easier to just pay someone $10 an hour to watch the game and track it manually.

Sure, but this way you'd have an entire game graphed out on a rink which could be played back in real time, showing who's in possession of the puck, where the puck travels to (say a pass being made from one stick to another) which would indicate possession and how it's being utilized, where it's shot from and all the typical analytical registers you'd get from someone watching the game and tallying it manually. You'd have the full 60-65 minutes of play recorded for playback with every piece of statistical information at your fingertips save for hits and blocks.

It's not that often in the NHL you'll see teams leave the puck in their zone defensively without someone controlling it, and most certainly they're always going to be trying to gain possession in the attacking zone.

To clarify: The puck will always be tracked regardless of who is in possession or not, but the stick transceiver will register when a specific player possesses the puck.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The NHL is already tracking players on the ice: http://www.powerscouthockey.com/who-is-the-nhl-fastest-skater-tracking-data-finally-provides-the-answers/

Who knows if/when they'll ever share the data, though. This is just from optical tracking, but they could easily put RFID/whatever chips in skates, sticks, pucks, anywhere. In fact I recall reading that they were doing exactly that this season, but again, don't expect to see the results anytime soon.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 2, 2015

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
More advanced tracking of the puck is already coming. I had the pleasure of being one of the "test" players for the sportsvision technology and it was pretty fuckin' futuristic. It knew when you had the puck, and could trace back the path you skated through your entire shift and wouldn't lose track of you on the bench. They could even do iso-cams of individual players.

http://deadspin.com/player-tracking-technology-is-coming-to-hockey-itll-ch-1575703133

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

eXXon posted:

The NHL is already tracking players on the ice: http://www.powerscouthockey.com/who-is-the-nhl-fastest-skater-tracking-data-finally-provides-the-answers/

Who knows if/when they'll ever share the data, though. This is just from optical tracking, but they could easily put RFID/whatever chips in skates, sticks, pucks, anywhere. In fact I recall reading that they were doing exactly that this season, but again, don't expect to see the results anytime soon.

I want to see the opposite for who the slowest players are.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Jonny Nox posted:

Edit 2: Aulie to have hearing for hit on Stajan. I'll be surprised if he even gets fined.

2 games... I'm quite shocked.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Perron to the Pens for a 1st rounder

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

A winger for Sid!

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

I'm glad it was a pick cause I would have been legit bummed for whichever Pen got sent back.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Hmm I wonder if they could have gotten more for Perron at the deadline. He's a solid 2nd line player who managed to give a good effort and bring a physical element to the game every night even on a tire fire team like the Oilers.

From the perspective of the Oilers, I don't know if it's such a great idea to give away one of the few actual class veterans on the team who plays the right way. That team already has major problems with leadership. But I guess we can't be too surprised when Perron was the guy who was brave enough to stick his neck out and criticize management.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

.Spec posted:

I'm glad it was a pick cause I would have been legit bummed for whichever Pen got sent back.

It's going to be sad when the Pens tank for the rest of the season, miss the playoffs and end up winning the first pick.

Picks 1 and 2 going to the Oilers.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

The rebuild that will never end. :suicide:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Seems like a really good trade for the Penguins. Probably will slot in as a winger for Malkin or Crosby and he is on a cap-friendly deal for a guy who is likely to put up 50+ points (over a full season).

Also he is shooting 6.8% this season which isn't likely to continue (his career average is 12.8%), so he's probably more of a 10 goal-scorer at this point in the season rather than a 5 goal-scorer.

Edit: I guess Klinkhammer is going back to Edmonton. Don't really know much about him and how he affects the value of this trade.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 2, 2015

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

.Spec posted:

@DarrenDreger
Complete deal has Pitt sending a 1st in 2015 and Rob Klinkhammer to the Oilers for David Perron.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Sounds like Rob Klinkhammer is going back.. reported as confirmed on Edmonton radio.

Klinkhammer is a good depth forward, atleast that's something to add to that terrible roster.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I called the Pens landing Perron a while ago... about time Rutherford!

Also... fare thee well Klinkhammer

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Starsfan posted:

Sounds like Rob Klinkhammer is going back.. reported as confirmed on Edmonton radio.

Klinkhammer is a good depth forward, atleast that's something to add to that terrible roster.

Plus he passes the awesome name litmus test.

That's like +2 to team awesomeness.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Excited for Perron. I'm guessing he won't be in town for the game tonight though. Maybe FedEx can help like with Iginla

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Congratulations David Perron

Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.

myron cope posted:

Excited for Perron. I'm guessing he won't be in town for the game tonight though. Maybe FedEx can help like with Iginla

Reports are that he's already on a plane, getting the gently caress out. He'll probably dress tomorrow.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Pens taking Win Now mode to a higher level with their crazy amount of depth injuries seems like it could backfire.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

At first I read the trade backwards, and thought Edmonton traded away their first round pick. And honestly, I wouldn't put it past the Oilers' management.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Perron is going to light it up a la Kunitz with Malkin and/or Crosby creating a lot of open net chances for him. Good trade for the evil enemy.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Klinkhammer is exactly the kind of guy the Oilers need up front, lol who am i kidding they actually just somehow got worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Juvi posted:

Reports are that he's already on a plane, getting the gently caress out. He'll probably dress tomorrow.

If I was a tradeable player for the Oilers I would be sitting in an airport every minute I'm not required to be with the team, just in case.

Spamtron7000 posted:

Perron is going to light it up a la Kunitz with Malkin and/or Crosby creating a lot of open net chances for him. Good trade for the evil enemy.

Congratulations 2018 Olympic Gold Medalist David Perron.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
MPS and an early 2nd for Klinkhammer and a probably late 1st

so long Perron :smith:

This likely means Pouliot is back tonight at least

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

grack posted:

Congratulations David Perron
Yea, no kidding. This is like graduating from an inner-city high school and going to Yale.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Let that be a lesson to the rest of the Oilers... all you have to do is be frustrated after a loss and demand some accountability from teammates and you too could escape from Alcatraz.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Also if Blake Comeau can be made into somewhat of an offensive threat, then Perron's probably going from 5 goals to 30 by the end of the year.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

haha ok poor poor Klinkhammer. If Perron is the lucky one here Klickhammer must be on suicide watch. Going from the Yotes, to a hot minute with the Pens and then somehow going to an even worse team that before...

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

At first I read the trade backwards, and thought Edmonton traded away their first round pick. And honestly, I wouldn't put it past the Oilers' management.

This would be great.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

William DePaoli @TIOPS_DePaoli
Penguins looked into Perron in early November, the ask was Brandon Sutter. Two months later get him for a first round pick. That's value.

I don't know how credible this guy is but found this interesting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They might have been better off getting rid of Sutter.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

How good are klinkhammers facewashes? This is important to me.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

David Perron posted:

"Something has to change. When you are making those mistakes, something needs to happen. They are the same mistakes we were doing last year. We keep talking about how much better we are this year, but for me it is the same record now that we had last year. It is not better."

"It's about a full sixty. We need to have accountability from coaches and teammates."

Only took 5 weeks for MacT to ship him out of town after he dared to pull this little maneuver

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.
I feel bad for Klinkhammer. Dude manages to get out of Phoenix, only to get re-exiled to Edmonton a month later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bit of a long read, but it might of interest to some people around here. Regarding Howe's treatment since his stroke back in October:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/stem-cells-versus-gordie-howes-stroke-part-2/

tl;dr: Howe's family worked with a stem cell therapy clinic based in Mexico to include him in a research trial, which apparently led to a "miraculous" recovery even though there is poor evidence it actually did anything and good indicators he never should have been eligible to take part in the trial.

The whole thing reads to me like Crosby's spinning chair treatment.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

fits posted:

Only took 5 weeks for MacT to ship him out of town after he dared to pull this little maneuver

His plan clearly worked :smugdog:

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In other trade news, I've been traded to Toronto. Will be living there at least until the end of the regular season. I wonder how long it will take for an angry Leafs fan to stab me outside of Kilgours.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
drat Perron makes the Pens better which is not something I"m particularly happy about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Levitate posted:

drat Perron makes the Pens better which is not something I"m particularly happy about

Don't worry, he'll break soon.

Has he had the mumps yet? He will now!

• Locked thread