Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Dangersim posted:

Herb Dean was a fighter. He wasn't very good.

What :( First my DC dreams crushed, now this. Last night sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dangersim posted:

he made it all the way to being a cage rage veteran, john wasn't even good enough for ufc 1

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Last night was just depressing. After round 3 I had DC down 2-1 but really thought he had the momentum and was going to take it to Jon the last 2 rounds and take the belt. But Jon did what always does, and rose to the occasion and dominated with the fight on the line. The only person I could see beating Jon and has a realistic chance to actually fight him is Cain, and with a gun to my head I'd probably pick Jones in that fight too.

Jones is a tool, but the guy is, I guess you could say a "true champion". I realized that when he was down two rounds to one against Gus and was definitely losing the 4th round with about 30 seconds left and then he pulled that elbow out of his rear end to take the round and eventually the fight. He literally couldn't have afforded to lose 30 more seconds of that fight and he didn't. The guy is going to go down as the best MMA fighter of all time weather we like it or not. :(

Ty1990 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 4, 2015

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
If cormier was devoid of all emotion like his training partner cain I think his gas tank would have held up better. He looked really good in the first 3 rounds but might of had an adrenalin dump since he looked finished in the 4th.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Ty1990 posted:

Last night was just depressing. After round 3 I had DC down 2-1 but really thought he had the momentum and was going to take it to Jon the last 2 rounds and take the belt. But Jon did what always does, and rose to the occasion and dominated with the fight on the line. The only person I could see beating Jon and has a realistic chance to actually fight him is Cain, and with a gun to my head I'd probably pick Jones in that fight too.

Jones' is a tool, but the guy is, I guess you could say a "true champion". I realized that when he was down two rounds to one against Gus and was definitely losing the 4th round with about 30 seconds left and then he pulled that elbow out of his rear end to take the round and eventually the fight. He literally couldn't have afforded to lose 30 more seconds of that fight and he didn't. The guy is going to go down as the best MMA fighter of all time weather we like it or not. :(

DC was looking so good at the end of round 2 but Jones is insanely adaptable, and the mixture of him figuring out DC's counters and DC gassing hard and eating too many blows just made it game over by round 4. I would've bet money on Jones in the first place, but it was still heart-wrenching to watch. One of the only times I've screamed at my TV screen. Cormier just had to sacrifice too many hits to get in and do any damage, I don't think it was a regular gassing from being tired out.

I wish Cain would make the weight to fight Jones. So, so badly. He looked ready to at the end of that fight, too.

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
As much as I hate to say it, Jon Jones has usurped Anderson's crown as GOAT (in my opinion.)

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
It must suck to not be able to separate Jon the person from the fighter because poo poo like this doesn't really happen all that often, ya'll.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Well he is 240 and jones is around 230 most of the time so it is possible cain could make lhw if he tried

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

-Atom- posted:

It must suck to not be able to separate Jon the person from the fighter because poo poo like this doesn't really happen all that often, ya'll.

You can't help but get emotionally invested in a fighter if you see him/her often enough on the screen to get an idea of their personality, which makes it harder to like rear end in a top hat fighters even if they are insanely talented and deserved their wins.

Like if you didn't feel sad when Junior Dos Santos said "why you boo me" then you have no soul

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'm no expert when it comes to cutting weight but I don't think Cain would have any major issues cutting to 205. I could be wrong though.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Dangersim posted:

He'd gently caress you up m8

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Cain should rewrite the good book and avenge his brother's loss by dropping weight and fighting Jones (he'd probably lose though)

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

-Atom- posted:

So far there have been non stop all time great fighters fighting the whole time Ive been watching mma so yeah it kinda does happen constantly

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
What about Weidman moving up and fighting Jones?

Yes, I realize that he has a lot of fights at middleweight, this is just a hypothetical.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

quote:

@FabricioWerdum

@JonnyBones good fight tonight against @dc_mma but better you stay there at your division. #vaicavalo @danawhite

Haha I love Werdum

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Incendiary Pig posted:

As much as I hate to say it, Jon Jones has usurped Anderson's crown as GOAT (in my opinion.)
Obviously this ain't some proveable thing, but it says a lot that I can't just outright deny this. Jones doesn't have the win quantity that Silva did, but the relative quality of his opponents is quite a bit higher.

Jon Jones is a great heel and I look forward to rooting against him and watching him completely defy my hopes.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Incendiary Pig posted:

What about Weidman moving up and fighting Jones?

Yes, I realize that he has a lot of fights at middleweight, this is just a hypothetical.

It would be good

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Dangersim posted:

Here's Herb Dean's greatest hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8iBDjy-ml0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhT4jXuD4Js

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRBThiB-ZsE

He also fought heavyweight Joe Riggs.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
DC tearing up and Jones punctuating the moment by saying he doesn't care and that 'this is combat' was brutal and frank and made the post-conf better than much of the actual card.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Sherdog posters talk about GOATS often. Anytime a new champ is crowned and defends once or twice they start talking about them as being the GOAT. I've heard it about Weidman, DJ, and Pettis.

However educated MMA fans usually only talk about 1 or 2 guys being the best ever, and that is Anderson and GSP. I think it's very safe to put Jones in that category at this point.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

origami posted:

DC tearing up and Jones punctuating the moment by saying he doesn't care and that 'this is combat' was brutal and frank and made the post-conf better than much of the actual card.

"This is combat" *eyepokes with one hand while crotch chopping with the other*

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Incendiary Pig posted:

I don't think this is a reasonable claim at all. If consistently winning against guys who are just not quite good enough would make Jones GOAT, then Aldo blows his doors off with what he's done.

I think at the end of their careers Jones has the potential to be ahead of Aldo, but he's not there yet.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 4, 2015

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

We have got to do a group PSP viewing of KOTC 7: Wet and Wild, because it is peak B-league in the funniest way possible

In which a former coach of mine fights Yves Edwards with a broken hand, in the rain, on about 6 vicodin (and actually wins).

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ty1990 posted:

However educated MMA fans usually only talk about 1 or 2 guys being the best ever, and that is Anderson and GSP. I think it's very safe to put Jones in that category at this point.

educated mma fans know fighters from before anderson and gsp

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yes, Dean's terrible, but he'd still have a decent experience advantage over someone whose most serious fight credential is a BJJ black belt.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bundt Cake posted:

Yeah and Anderson and GSP were better then all of them

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I don't think this is a reasonable claim at all. If consistently winning against guys who are just not quite good enough would make Jones GOAT, then Aldo blows his doors off with what he's done.

The only time Jones ever really struggled was against GUS. Last night he was in control most of the fight even.

Oh Vitor almost tapped him. lol.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

Yeah and Anderson and GSP were better then all of the.

That's not true

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Ah yes I forgot to mention Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz in the GOAT discussion.

Ty1990 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 4, 2015

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

That's stupid. Do Apple TV or Roku work with the app?

Agreed about Jon Jones.

I don't know if he's referring to some other mobile device, but I use the mobile app on my iPhone to stream to my Chromecast all the time. It's not absolutely perfect, but works well, especially compared to the loving Samsung Smart TV app which is total poo poo, no exaggeration. Not sure if I've ever tried it with a live stream though.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

If I was Stuart Scott I would have just given up after last night too

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ty1990 posted:

Ah yes I forgot to mention Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz in the GOAT discussion.

You're taking some intellectual high ground while repeating Dana White's Greatest Fighters of All Time List, why dont you cool it a little bit

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

That's not true

Who?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Jose Aldo is the current GOAT and the Mightiest of Mouses is the future GOAT.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Do you really want me to list all the great fighters from the beginning of the ufc

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

Do you really want me to list all the great fighters from the beginning of the ufc

I want you to list who was better then Anderson and gsp

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Matt serra

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Royce Gracie steps out of a time machine from the past to school Jones

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bundt Cake posted:

Well, if you only plan to list those greater than GSP and Anderson Silva it won't be a very long read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

I want you to list who was better then Anderson and gsp

Rankings are really sweet but lets just say there have been a lot of great fighters and there have been guys who have been dominant champions for different stretches and its impossible to quantify greatness in some way to come up with a definitive hierarchy, and because there have been so many great fighters over two and half decades its stupid to just blanket that two guys who went on great runs during the peak of the UFC's popularity as indisputably the best and assert that its ignorant to suggest otherwise is annoying and limits conversation to Joe Rogan talking points

• Locked thread