Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Chomposaur posted:

With the amount of people that die from cancer there's no real reason to disbelieve them. If you live long enough, you will know people who develop cancer.

It's just a little off-putting to juxtapose these really somber messages with a dumb fun video game event. Sucks the energy out of it, and they need all the energy they can get with this DKR marathon. Basically they need someone to be hyped about this, whether it's someone on the couch or the announcer.

I think their god-awful game choices this year sucked any fun at all out on its own. Who really wants to watch 100% runs of horribly boring N64 games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Chomposaur posted:

With the amount of people that die from cancer there's no real reason to disbelieve them. If you live long enough, you will know people who develop cancer.

It's just a little off-putting to juxtapose these really somber messages with a dumb fun video game event. Sucks the energy out of it, and they need all the energy they can get with this DKR marathon. Basically they need someone to be hyped about this, whether it's someone on the couch or the announcer.

the only thing sucking energy from the room is this boring as gently caress race

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
They really need to boot this game from future marathons, it's ridiculously boring.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
'100%' and 'race' should never be in the same run.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Um, My Beloved Family Member Went Out To 'The Farm' Last Month And I Hear That They Have A Big Field To Play In, Which Sounds Nice. Anyways, Have A Nice Day And Enjoy This $25 Dollars. *camera pans back to people playing boring as gently caress racing game for 2 hours*

What could be more boring than two hours of cart racing? Two hours of single player cart racing.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Diddy Kong Racing's Any% run is really really funny and a lot of fun to watch, one of those things where they just break the game over and over and over and make it do ridiculous poo poo and finish it pretty fast.

DKR 100% is a boring slog, it was a boring slog last time, and being a race is not making it less of a boring slog.

Bring back any%.

Edit: watch this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ct8n1CClUM&t=180s

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flyboi posted:

I think their god-awful game choices this year sucked any fun at all out on its own. Who really wants to watch 100% runs of horribly boring N64 games?

Banjo was supposed to be any% but the pal tv broke and the major skip requires a pal tv + console

DKR has been an extremely hype run in the past (toufool set a WR in it at sgdq13) and I think everyone expected this to be a really hype race given everyone involved. There's just no energy on the couch for it and I'm pretty sure none of them got the notice that they were supposed to watch a run/runs of it beforehand so they could actually talk about what was happening during the race

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

They really need to boot this game from future marathons, it's ridiculously boring.

Which is a shame, since I love the game :( 2 hours of no commentary, 3 tiny screens and tonnes of cancer messages doesn't make for good viewing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How are you guys surprised that the DKR segment sucks. Its a racing game, they almost always blow to watch when they go on for this long.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

snodig posted:

remember when they were all on the 2nd lap of that one race and they got the n64 coin

epic

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

snodig posted:

Unless the game can be completed in under 60-45min or something, was the Mega Man X calebhart / zero wing race last year a 100%? That was pretty good.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Cubey posted:

also the vast majority of comments about someone they know having cancer are not of them even dying from it. i mean poo poo there are three people in my family who have had cancer, one of whom did die of it.

cancer is extremely common and i find it incredibly hard to believe that there are very many people at all who have not been affected by it.

My paternal grandmother died from cancer but i don't think it really counts when you're pushing 80. If cancer doesn't get you at that point something else will.

Sir Tonk posted:

They've done that before, looks weird when it isn't full and the sound is harder to control.

It's infinitely more interesting than looking at a wall in these boring 3 hour N64 runs.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wonder how that guy feels about holding a bunch of bananas for two hours. Can't he like, set them on the floor or something?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

flatluigi posted:

Banjo was supposed to be any% but the pal tv broke and the major skip requires a pal tv + console

DKR has been an extremely hype run in the past (toufool set a WR in it at sgdq13) and I think everyone expected this to be a really hype race given everyone involved. There's just no energy on the couch for it and I'm pretty sure none of them got the notice that they were supposed to watch a run/runs of it beforehand so they could actually talk about what was happening during the race

Why do you use hype this way? Is this gamer lingo?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

They always seem to do this on day one. It's like day one is for super boring games for six hours (though not always the marathon starter) before they get to something cool (TAS bot coming up), while the last day is dedicated to boring JRPG's.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Why is there 2 games in 5 hours right at the beginning of the marathon. WHy would you not do long run -> 2-5x short runs -> long run and repeat? WHat the heck

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

ColdPie posted:

Wonder how that guy feels about holding a bunch of bananas for two hours. Can't he like, set them on the floor or something?

He's been holding them for so long they are going bad.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ramadu posted:

Why is there 2 games in 5 hours right at the beginning of the marathon. WHy would you not do long run -> 2-5x short runs -> long run and repeat? WHat the heck

I think they are poorly coached

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

beep by grandpa posted:

Unless the game can be completed in under 60-45min or something, was the Mega Man X calebhart / zero wing race last year a 100%? That was pretty good.

I hope caleb keeps his shirt on this year :barf:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

CJ posted:

My paternal grandmother died from cancer but i don't think it really counts when you're pushing 80. If cancer doesn't get you at that point something else will.

I work for a company that deals exclusively with senior citizens and it's honestly really loving depressing how many people in their 70s and 80s get cancer. I think it really does count considering how much poo poo you've probably dealt with through your life to get taken out by a disease so vile, slow and disfiguring.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

CJ posted:

It's infinitely more interesting than looking at a wall in these boring 3 hour N64 runs.

They should just hang a green screen behind them and put a larger version of the game feed on it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

while the last day is dedicated to boring JRPG's.

Not my fault they decided not to include the fun and awesome Wild ARMs and FFT runs in the marathon

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

flatluigi posted:

I blame it more on the fact that Toufool is too goddamn good. 0xwas and Joe are having a decent race but they're miles behind Toufool at this point.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
it's cool that a guy was just explaining a skip they could have been doing but aren't

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

absolutely anything posted:

gently caress all 100% runs

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This game is loving boring.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

beep by grandpa posted:

MMX 100% doesn't slow the action down much because a lot of the time lost getting items is made back one-shotting bosses with the hadouken, which also increases entertainment value for some casual viewers who may not know that game well and not know about that secret. I think "is 100% entertaining/interesting in ways any% is not?" is a factor that should be considered since it obviously takes extra time.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Everything will be fine soon, TASBOT is after Mario Kart.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Why is this crap on now, and the TAS segment on when I'm going to have to be sleeping?

100% is interesting if it's genuinely adding a whole bunch more stuff, like in meat boy or dark souls all bosses, but when its just a bunch more dkr tracks or some poo poo...

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
They should have started with the 4:30:00 Kingdom Hearts (1 or 2) run instead.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Sir Tonk posted:

I dunno how they are topping last year. But I'm still hype.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

absolutely anything posted:

it's cool that a guy was just explaining a skip they could have been doing but aren't

But the skip's for any% runs and this is a 100% and I'm just gonna leave this running in the background as I play MMOs for god knows what
I think it's more "thought it would be a good idea" territory with DKR. Because you'd think it be good but it's... silent.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ColdPie posted:

Why is he holding the bananas? Was it like a bet or donation incentive?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

:psypop:
2 Cart Races in a row?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Crain posted:

Why is he holding the bananas? Was it like a bet or donation incentive?

They asked him and he said "meme"

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Crotch Bat posted:

You guys should have seen earlier marathons before they learned to filter better, it was literally hours of non-stop depressing stories of inordinate length about people dying from cancer. There were novels written and they read everything.

The filtering is pretty bad sometimes, they actually have to leave a posted reminder on the table where the volunteers do it not to pass donations from Mike Hawk on.

at SGDQ 13, Essentia was holding her daughter who was dressed up in an adorable hand knit Link onsie and a comment got through with something to the order of "Baby link is so cute, maybe some day she'll wield my master sword"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I do have to say I'm grateful that none of the Mega Man runs this time have a donation incentive for buster only. I remember one of those winning one time and it made a run that could have been really interesting and entertaining boring and slow.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SeXReX posted:

at SGDQ 13, Essentia was holding her daughter who was dressed up in an adorable hand knit Link onsie and a comment got through with something to the order of "Baby link is so cute, maybe some day she'll wield my master sword"

christ, i missed this and am glad of it :stonk:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

13/f/cali posted:

I do have to say I'm grateful that none of the Mega Man runs this time have a donation incentive for buster only. I remember one of those winning one time and it made a run that could have been really interesting and entertaining boring and slow.

And I have never seen Fire % win Contra III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

flyboi posted:

I hope caleb keeps his shirt on this year :barf:

Pretty sure the new Twitch policy means he has to. He doesn't go shirtless anymore in his streams. (Which is great.)

• Locked thread