Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GSD posted:

The complete and utter collapse of the German Empire at the hands of the French Syndicalists might be distracting them.

What, and the Khan of Khans doesn't? The world deserves to be conquered!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I like the idea of the rest of the world (read: Europe) dismissing Sternberg as just some wacko running around in the steppe, irrelevant to their Big Important Ideas of syndicalism/restoring the Entente, and generally laughing off the whole crazy thing until it's much, much too late. Mongolia isn't quite a joke character, it's just totally irrelevant to the overall conflicts of the setting, and that's the weird beauty of them becoming so powerful that everything else is rendered moot. There's an important lesson in this story for people who imagine they can control the tide of history: it only works if you're Genghis Khan.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Oh man, good luck with Mytilene, the stumbling block that wrecks pretty much every game that I play as Serbia or any other Belgrade Pact country.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How long is the Mongolia interlude going to last? It's pretty great how far you've come as the Mad Baron, but I'm hankering for some more CSA action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BIvqbyku5g&t=121s

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Drone posted:

How long is the Mongolia interlude going to last? It's pretty great how far you've come as the Mad Baron, but I'm hankering for some more CSA action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BIvqbyku5g&t=121s

I've decided I'm going to end it after a certain point in the war with Japan that is of course coming. I could go on forever but that war I think marks a natural end and taking on the Internationale would just take even more time. Might be three or so updates, not sure yet.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Part Eight: January-August 1942

The Mongols had more or less replaced the Turks in Middle Eastern politics. The occupation of Baghdad was unpopular when it was the Persians and even more so when it was the Mongols. War over Iraq was inevitable and the Khan decided it was preferable to have it start on Mongolia's terms rather than have it happen when the Mongols were engaged elsewhere.

The Arab Alliance consisted of the Hashemite kingdom in the Arabian Peninsula, Egypt-Sudan and Libya, which had recently gained its independence from the Ottoman Empire.

The Hashemites would be the first to go. The Egyptians were the backbone of the Arab alliance, providing the majority of its armed forces. Eliminating the Hashemites would allow Mongol force to be concentrated in Palestine and the Sinai. The Hashemites administered their nascent kingdom from Riyadh in the interior, though the Holy City of Mecca was also a burgeoning power center for the dynasty.

The other Holy City, Jerusalem, lay just across the border. Nobody had ever suspected that Buddhists would end up in control of the world's holiest sites.

The Mongol army had grown to encompass four full-sized hordes. Three of them were deployed against the Hashemites. The Bedouin warriors were famed for their skill on camelback but they only deployed five cavalry divisions on the Iraqi front versus thirty four Mongol cavalry divisions.

The vast Arabian deserts promised long marches, while the narrow territory of Palestine provided ample opportunity for maneuver warfare.

The Egyptians were quickly reduced to a tiny strip of land surrounding Gaza as the only link between Palestine and Egypt proper.

The operation in Iraq worked exactly as intended, trapping two Arabian divisions in Najaf and Kuwait provinces, two pockets that could be easily taken out.

While two hordes cleaned up those pockets, the lead horde advanced deep into the Arabian desert towards the capital.

Parts of Palestine changed hands rapidly, as the Mongols were more concerned with encircling the enemy than achieving territorial goals. As had been the case often recently, their flanks were protected by Russian infantry.

The Russians were not offensive minded and were content to set up a defensive line from Haifa to Amman to prevent Egyptian counter attacks from reaching Damascus. This provided the opportunity for the Mongols to strike from the southern flank.

The horde moved directly through the Negev desert towards Tel Aviv, cutting off Jerusalem.

The Egyptians were backed up on the west bank of the Jordan while the Hashemites were entrenched in their own pocket on the eastern bank.

The Mongols left the re-recaptured Negev desert wide open yet again while they destroyed the last Hashemite presence in Jordan.

Riyadh fell quickly easily and just as the Hashemites had come out of the desert to attack the Ottomans on the Red Sea coast during the Great War, the Hashemites now found themselves in the ironic position of defending the Holy City with their backs to sea. The destruction of the Hashemite army brought opportunists, such as the Sultan of Oman who began to take what they could.

That was not acceptable.

One horde was tasked with marching to Muscat and putting an end to the Sultanate.

Palestine had been a wild and unpredictable front, with major cities changing hands several times. The front began to stabilize finally, with Russian infantry finally being able to set up permanently in the captured territories. The Russians were especially eager to visit Jerusalem, as it was the holiest site of their Orthodox faith.

The Mongols roared through the Gaza strip into the Sinai, trapping thirty thousand Egyptians in the Negev desert.

The Egyptians attacked in force, being able to concentrate their armies for the first time in the war. The normally slippery Mongols only had one path into Egypt, and the Egyptians would not give way easily.

The morale of the Arabs was damaged when news came that the Holy City had fallen.

This also meant that their oldest ally, with whom they had defeated the Ottomans, was finished. The Hashemites surrendered rather than see Mecca destroyed through a protracted battle.

Some Egyptians in the peninsula vowed to fight on from Medina, without much hope of success.

The small Sultanate of Yemen lay to the south. The Sultan had a high opinion of himself, declare himself to be the only person capable of running almost every aspect of the government. Even the Khan, chief among megalomaniacs, thought that to be a bit obnoxious.

The tiny state was bolstered by its seizure of formerly German Aden, but even that wouldn't help them much.

The long march against Oman was finally coming to fruition with the coastal city of Muscat finally within reach.

Both Sultanates were destroyed within weeks of each other. The Arabian peninsula was completely Mongol.

Now came the time to strike into Egypt itself. There was no alternative but to fight through the mass of Egyptians who had dug into their positions on the Asian side of the Canal.

The battle ended in victory for the Mongols, but it was an uncharacteristically bloody one for the Mongols.

The victory broke open the defensive lines of the Egyptians and center of the line was evicted with much fewer losses.

With the Asian side of the Canal completely under control, the south of the now ruined line was trapped in Sharm El Sheikh.

The Mongols destroyed the units and the task of securing the town itself was taken on by Russians once again. The Russians had begun building trucks to transport their troops, making them very rapid, even more rapid than the Mongols in favorable terrain.

International commerce was severely disrupted as commercial traffic through the Canal ceased. With Mongols and Egyptians trading fire across the canal, it was far too dangerous for non-military ships to travel through it.

The challenges of getting the armies across the Canal were tricky but the superiority of Mongol forces carried them through the day.

The Mongols broke the northern half of the line and began to move across the Canal in force.

The chaos of the retreat left Cairo lightly defended. This was more the Mongols speed. With the open country in front of them, the Mongols could get back to their signature maneuver tactics.

The Mongols didn't so much as stop to take in the sights of Cairo before moving south, cutting off ninety thousand Egyptians who were still manning their portion of the Suez Line.

The defeat marked the effective end of the war. Egypt's relatively formidable army had been broken on the banks of the Canal.

All that remained was to secure the rest of the country.

Egypt proper was the true power base of the nation, but Khartoum in Sudan was a formidable outpost, one from which the Egyptians could continue their resistance.

The Khan wanted it destroyed before the Egyptians could rally around it. One horde was tasked to advance deeply into Sudan down the Nile river.

The other horde and an increasing number of Russian auxiliaries secured Egypt itself.

Alexandria fell next.

The horde moved quickly to the south before turning east.

Another large Egyptian army was trapped in Giza. The Mongols slaughtered thousands with the Great Pyramids in view. The Khan was aware of the Napoleonic parallel and he enjoyed it greatly.

If Suez hadn't doomed the Egyptians, then Giza certainly did. The Egyptians only had the ability to irritate and delay the Mongols now.

The Egyptians began to retreat towards Sudan, but the Mongols were even further south than them by that time. With the Russians securing the advance, there was nothing that could delay the horde.

The formidable fortress of Khartoum at the fork of the Nile was unoccupied.

Egypt was finished.

The Mongols were uninterested in directly ruling the Arabs. They had proven themselves the most formidable opponent since the Soviets, and so the Khan figured they had earned the right for limited self-governance, like the Russians and Cossacks before. The Khan allowed the establishment of a Caliphate under his dominance, which was really a propaganda ploy designed to shore up the relationship between the Khanate and its millions of Muslim subjects. In reality, it was an Arab state. The Mongols decided to rule Sudan directly but the rest of the recently captured territory was handed over to the new state. They were powerful and they would provide many useful troops for future campaigns.

Libya remained. Libya's troops had been integrated into the Egyptian army and were completely destroyed in Suez and Giza. The nation was defenseless.

It would be a matter of simply riding in and establishing control.

Libya, despite being a mostly Arab state, was also put under direct Mongol control. This was the end of Mongol expansionism into the Arab world. Fighting the French exiles and Delhi at the same time seemed unnecessary and the Khan was more than happy to allow the Internationale to have its way with the West African giant. It was time to move on. Greater prizes were available elsewhere.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

At first I was going to point out the absurdity of steppe nomads making it as far as Libya, but then it occurred to me that the real life Mongols made it almost this far without anything approaching modern logistics and infrastructure.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I finished up the game today, it'll be four more updates. And we have a mod oversight to thank for it being that few.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Chief Savage Man posted:

I finished up the game today, it'll be four more updates. And we have a mod oversight to thank for it being that few.

How ridiculously high is your belligerence?

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Watching The Khan of Khans rise from nothing was pretty awesome.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm a bit sad it's ending. I can just imagine the Khan, riding a horse, strapped under a helicopter, flying over the English Channel.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cavalry Paratroopers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

At first I was going to point out the absurdity of steppe nomads making it as far as Libya, but then it occurred to me that the real life Mongols made it almost this far without anything approaching modern logistics and infrastructure.

As long as he doesn't die and the hordes need to return to elect a new khan, the only thing stopping the Mongols will be the sea.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

sullat posted:

As long as he doesn't die and the hordes need to return to elect a new khan, the only thing stopping the Mongols will be the sea.

I'm sure he's written an order to allow that to be carried out via conference call to avoid it happening again.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Kavak posted:

I'm sure he's written an order to allow that to be carried out via conference call to avoid it happening again.

Makes sense. They've been researching computing machinery, so one can only assume they've modernized in other areas too. For example, there's probably a clerk somewhere who's only job is to tabulate data as to the number of partisan attacks in a given territory versus the number of heads on spikes placed there (per 100,000 people). With enough data, they'll be able to figure out if the relationship is linear, or not, and what the "sweet spot" is for efficient occupation.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
Part Nine: September 1942-August 1944

The Mongolian Empire had established itself as an Asiatic power by taking advantage of conflict and it would do so once again in India. The subcontinent was embroiled in war between the syndicalists of Bengal and the princes of the south. The battle required every man the warring states could muster, leaving the border with Mongolian Tibet wide open.

The hordes poured over the border rolling over light opposition. Calcutta and Imphal were the targets.

The Bengals had barely enough time to turn around from their battles with the princes before Calcutta fell and the Commune surrendered.

The princes did not celebrate as it was clear the Mongols were interested in the whole of India.

The Federation would not fall as easily as the Commune had, due to increased distance between important cities.

The Federation had shifted troops to defend against Delhi, who had declared war upon the Federation as well. They had seen the writing on the wall and decided to try and seize the Federation before the Mongols could.

The fiercest resistance was put up by the diminutive Madras Republic, a tiny republic who was technically separate from the Princely Federation but nonetheless under its domination.

It was a valiant but ultimately doomed effort.

The Federation lost their capital in Hyderabad quite quickly. They had been locked in battle with the forces in Delhi and left their new border with the Empire open. They had an impossible task: defending against simultaneous invasions by Delhi and the Empire.

The Khan had struck deep and quick, hoping to keep Bombay away from the steadily advancing Entente forces. This led to them being cut off but with the nascent Mongolian merchant marine beginning to enter service, they could be supplied once they reached the western coast.

The Mongols made it to Bombay first and seized all of the Federation except for a few border territories seized by Delhi.

Delhi erroneously believed that their Entente ties protected them. The Khan was not afraid to pick a fight with a decaying British Empire, who could only glare angrily at him from their perch in North America.

The National French were being mauled by the Internationale in West Africa. They would not be a threat either.

If anything, there was a bit to be gained from their involvement.

As for Delhi itself, its situation looked rather dire.

The Mongols hoped for another lightning war where the hordes would capture the major cities and force a surrender before serious resistance could develop.

The Entente was a more robust opponent than the Khan was used to, inflicting high casualties and forcing a horde to call off its direct attack on Delhi.

Entente resistance centered around Delhi, with a large Entente army that would require more than one horde to dislodge.

The Entente had concentrated all of their forces in order to achieve that momentary advantage. They elected to break out of that group and attempt to get behind Mongol lines.

This did not work well, as the Mongols moved far quicker than the Entente could hope to. Within days, Delhi was under threat once again.

The Sultan surrendered once the Mongols took the city.

This did not spell the end of the conflict in India. Canadian and Australasian forces had poured into Delhi, intent on defending one of their few remaining allies. Eventually they would all be destroyed, making the Indian Expedition a disaster for the Entente. The Entente had always attempted to punch above their weight, without any presence in Europe and the crown jewel of India divided. The loss of so many divisions in India meant less men to defend against inevitable Internationale attack in North America.

The Mongol lust for conquest did not stop with India. Ethiopia was alone and ripe for the taking.

The Ethiopians fielded a relatively large amount of troops and defensible territory but the Mongols punched through their lines quickly.

They were corralled into pockets soon enough.

By the time the Mongols made it to the Ogaden, the Ethiopian army had been gutted.

The Mongols chased them all the way to Somalia.

Another enemy had fallen.

The Mongols had captured many planes during their expeditions and eventually it became clear that they were the solution to the stalemate in the Aegean.

The planes were obsolete by European standards, paling in comparison with the sleek modern bombers fielded by the Internationale and Japan. Luckily they were being deployed against a small and old Turkish naval squadron.

Before long, the biplanes got results. The raids on the port of Rhodes eventually sunk some ships.

The planes finally caught the cruiser that had been preventing the Mongols from crossing the strait to Mytilene.

The Turks had had years to entrench themselves on their island redoubt. The battle was bloody, with three Mongols falling for every Turk killed.

It was a small price to pay. The Turks were finally finished.

With the siege finally ended, a local Turkish administration could finally be put together.

For whatever reason, the Bulgarians chose this point to attack. They planned to move quickly to capture Istanbul and set up defenses there to keep the Mongols out.

The Mongols only had light garrison forces in Gallipoli and Istanbul to defend against the Bulgarian advance.

The Gallipoli garrison delayed the Bulgarians enough to give the Khan time to establish a defense of Istanbul. The city had been an amazing prize and he would not see it in the hands of the Bulgarians.

Half a million Mongol horsemen congregated in Istanbul. The Bulgarians would be punished harshly for their impudence. The captured areas of Rumelia were counterattacked in force.

The shattered Bulgarian advance opened up the entire country to the Mongols.

The Bulgarians had a large and fairly modern military but like many of the militaries defeated by the Empire, they were not mobile enough to defend against the Mongol hordes.

A large amount of Arabs followed the Mongols into Bulgaria, who had concentrated their forces around the capital Sofia.

The Mongols could have forced a surrender relatively early but the Khan was insistent that a message be sent. The Bulgarian military would be killed to the last man.

The Bulgarian army quickly found themselves trapped in the farthest reaches of the kingdom.

One by one, the Bulgarian units were erased by the Mongol hordes.

The final stand of the Bulgarians was in Macedonia. The Khan hadn't had intentions of expanding into the Balkans but the Bulgarians had forced his hand. And in return, he had completely obliterated a major regional power in the space of weeks.

The kingdom was disestablished unceremoniously, its last Tsar forced into exile.

The state was reestablished as a vassal, as had become the habit for the Mongols in this region. Bulgaria would always be treated more poorly than any of the other Mongol vassal states, as a reminder that attacking the Empire would end poorly.

As if to drive the point home, the Khan marked a few more states for destruction.

Albania went quickly.

The ancient nation of Greece appealed to the Khan's desire for glory. Athens would be a good addition to the other prizes he had collected.

The Mongols struck through Albania and moved behind the anti-Bulgarian defenses that Greece had been manning for decades.

One horde advanced quickly towards Athens, cutting off the north of the nation.

Another horde and Arab auxiliaries moving in from the north closed the trap on the Greeks in the north.

Over half of the Greek army retreated to the Aegean islands. The rest were chased through the south of the nation.

The Greeks made their last stand in Patra.

Three Balkan states destroyed in a matter of months was enough of a message to the rest. Serbia and Romania would make fine additions to the Empire but there were other things on the Khan's mind.

The Greeks actually ended up growing after their defeat. The Aegean islands, which had long been a goal of the irredentist Greeks, were assigned to them. This freed up Mongol men from having to police the islands, from which they were sent home to Mongolia. It was time to prepare for the toughest enemy yet, and all Mongols would be needed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm trying to imagine the lot of a cartographer in a Kaiserreich world, especially this one. I can only picture a map of Eurasia with the words "gently caress THIS" scrawled on it in arterial bloodspray.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh no! Mighty Bulgaria has fallen! The world as we know it is doomed!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

NewMars posted:

As a Bulgarian nation, they should have received several bonuses.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Genghis would be genuinely proud.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Haha, you fool! The undead hordes of Old Great Super Bulgaria will rise and defend the motherland with their immunity to attrition and inexplicable ability to appear throughout history!

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Excellent LP so far. I had been looking for a good KR LP since the last one here and this one is a pleasure to read. It is a good substitute while waiting for the next MP game.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

NewMars posted:

Serbia still stands! Hope is alive!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

GSD posted:

Cavalry Paratroopers.
Close.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Drone posted:

As a Bulgarian nation, they should have received several bonuses.

I believe you mean bonii.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I believe you mean bonii.

Let's not cross the in-joke streams.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
We should give Macedonia back to the Greeks from Bulgaria as punishment for their impudence, and seriously stupid decision making.

Seriously, what the hell were they smoking when they thought that attack was going to work for them in any time period greater than a month?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

If they had managed to get into Constantinople and put their entire army into that and Gallipoli, they may have actually been able to hold the Hordes back, but probably not. e; If they'd done it when he was invading India, then they'd be in business.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Mister Adequate posted:

If they had managed to get into Constantinople and put their entire army into that and Gallipoli, they may have actually been able to hold the Hordes back, but probably not. e; If they'd done it when he was invading India, then they'd be in business.

Yeah, both my Greece game and my Bulgaria game came to an abrupt halt when the Ottomans shoved fifty brigades into Constantinople and turned the entire thing into one big Sitzkrieg. Those loving Turks do have it in for the player - the doomstack potential in Constantinople and the Mytilene deal are both massive pains in the rear end for players that are unprepared (and given the kind of nation you're usually playing when loving around in that area, you usually are).

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chief Savage Man posted:

My understanding of syndicalism (which is not a hundred percent) plus my interpretation of what exists in the event texts about the CSA leads me to believe that there's a Central Committee, which is led by Jack Reed, and a Continental Chamber of Syndicates which is the top level of a hierarchy of union/syndicate representatives and chambers and whom we chose Paul Mattick as the leader of earlier. The Commune of France is organized on the premise of Bourses du Travail or labor exchanges, which are local bodies that deal with the workings of a city or area with the input and support of the unions and syndicates in that city. Paul Mattick is listed as being the option most similar to the Commune of France so I'll assume we're structuring ourselves in the same fashion.

So I would imagine that the workers in the Widget Shop in Newark elect a delegate to the Widget Union of New Jersey and then that Widget Union participates in the labor exchange that makes the surrounding area run and then perhaps that body is part of a larger body for the New York metropolitan area, which then participates in the Continental Chamber. The principles of the movement would dictate that sovereignty and legal authority lies with the workers, which is represented by the Continental Chamber, which would have some kind of power over the Central Committee in theory. The Central Committee would act on behalf of the entire apparatus in realms of diplomacy and warfare, at this point probably with some added war powers granted by the Chamber, and the idea would be that as the situation gets better and threats are dealt with, the Continental Chamber would reclaim more power. Of course, there would be a danger of the Central Committee marginalizing the Chamber, and creating a Totalist situation.

It's a cool thing to imagine but I haven't the faintest idea how such an apparatus would actually function on a level beyond a city, which I suppose some anarchists would say is the point.
How I imagine the CSA's brand of syndicalism working is that they probably retain the Constitution almost in its entirety as the basis for their new government, but add some amendments, changing how Congressmen are elected and what the chambers are called. The Senate is probably abolished, and the House, now renamed the Continental Chamber of Syndicates, is filled with Representatives who are elected not based on population but by their union. Particularly large unions/syndicates may get multiple representatives. The "Central Committee" is just another name for the Cabinet, and Jack Reed is an executive who is nationally elected.

This post is from forever ago, but I just started reading and alt history fascinates me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why make Turkey a puppet? Such ugly borders :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I loving love that unit, it's basically a "10 times the casualties per day, but on both sides" button.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, both my Greece game and my Bulgaria game came to an abrupt halt when the Ottomans shoved fifty brigades into Constantinople and turned the entire thing into one big Sitzkrieg. Those loving Turks do have it in for the player - the doomstack potential in Constantinople and the Mytilene deal are both massive pains in the rear end for players that are unprepared (and given the kind of nation you're usually playing when loving around in that area, you usually are).

I can usually break the Bosphorus, but the number of times I've been stymied by Mytilene :arghfist::negative:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

GrossMurpel posted:

I loving love that unit, it's basically a "10 times the casualties per day, but on both sides" button.

I feel like I'm missing something here - how does the upgraded cav unit take more casualties?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

I feel like I'm missing something here - how does the upgraded cav unit take more casualties?

Way more softness than the previous one. I think they also have less defense on top of that.
And they only have 5k personnel so besides the absolute numbers they'll also get their strength percentage depleted a lot faster.
It's still loving fun to crush everything with them. :allears:

Strayed
Mar 3, 2013

GrossMurpel posted:

Way more softness than the previous one. I think they also have less defense on top of that.
And they only have 5k personnel so besides the absolute numbers they'll also get their strength percentage depleted a lot faster.
It's still loving fun to crush everything with them. :allears:

Their speed is also a Godsend. I just had a game as Austria where I crushed the German Empire and the units of air cavalry I had made taking Middleafrika bearable. I'm just sad I never got to use them on an Irredentist Qing Empire because the game would crash whenever I tried to load that save.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

theblastizard posted:

We should give Macedonia back to the Greeks from Bulgaria as punishment for their impudence, and seriously stupid decision making.

Seconding this

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug
I really reflexively released Bulgaria, if I had planned it more, I would have given Greece much more.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Strayed posted:

Their speed is also a Godsend. I just had a game as Austria where I crushed the German Empire and the units of air cavalry I had made taking Middleafrika bearable. I'm just sad I never got to use them on an Irredentist Qing Empire because the game would crash whenever I tried to load that save.

I ran into this bug too! I think if you research the top tier torpedo or seaplane, some asset for that brigade attachment is missing and the game craps itself. If you want to play out the save, check out savedebug.txt and it should point you to a particular line of your save file. Open it up in a text editor and remove the offending torpedo line entirely and you should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

How I imagine the CSA's brand of syndicalism working is that they probably retain the Constitution almost in its entirety as the basis for their new government, but add some amendments, changing how Congressmen are elected and what the chambers are called. The Senate is probably abolished, and the House, now renamed the Continental Chamber of Syndicates, is filled with Representatives who are elected not based on population but by their union. Particularly large unions/syndicates may get multiple representatives. The "Central Committee" is just another name for the Cabinet, and Jack Reed is an executive who is nationally elected.

This post is from forever ago, but I just started reading and alt history fascinates me.

I think the keys are that the legitimacy of the federal government is effectively wiped out by MacArthur's actions and they never get a chance to reestablish orderly government because they lost the civil war. In the absence of federal authority, I think that initiative would pass to the states and legally, the route to take would be a new Constitutional Convention. The Syndicalists controlled a bunch of state houses before the war, the Southern and Pacific states seceded officially, the Southwest was given away by treaty by the federal government, and New England is also out because their legislatures probably went through the motions of becoming an independent nation separate from the federal government.

So I think we end up legally with the states that remained in the Union and the Syndicate-controlled states establishing a new Constitution or heavily amending the old one and the states that left would not be legally readmitted until it was all set up the way the CSA wants, and its basically like the Reconstruction where they really have no say in the matter due to military occupation and have to deal with what Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, New Jersey, etc. put together, following what I am sure are major changes enacted on the state level. It's interesting to speculate about since the only civil war in our history resulted in the original government retaining control so there's no model for what a drastic change in the structure of government would look like in America, whereas you have plenty of past experience in Europe to draw from.