Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The mission the Air Force talked about for the shuttle which is why it looks like it does doesn't really need armament. Up into a polar orbit and back down in one orbit requires a great many things, including an arm to steal satellites, but it doesn't require weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, that's what I was talking about

There's no way that thing ain't armed lol

Well except that there actually ARE treaties about that

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

xthetenth posted:

The mission the Air Force talked about for the shuttle which is why it looks like it does doesn't really need armament. Up into a polar orbit and back down in one orbit requires a great many things, including an arm to steal satellites, but it doesn't require weapons.

That's the old shuttle, though.

This tiny rear end automated thing? God knows wha it does. I doubt it's armed though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

From what I know blowing up satellites makes poo poo harder for you in the future anyway, since now you have a bunch of scrap floating around threatening to knock your crap out of orbit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also your own space segment is pretty damned vulnerable too. Similar to escalating nuclear war, I expect that eliminating the orbital capabilities of a Russia or China would see the US segment knocked out in short order as well; if you want to preserve your own, you probably have to let the enemy have his. A better goal might be to characterize and listen in on enemy birds, which the X-37B might well be capable of doing, I really have no idea.

It's worth keeping in mind how small the X-37B is too. While the shuttle always catches people off guard with how damned huge it is, the X-37B is the size of a small truck:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 7, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It is safe to say we are all incredibly curious about what the christ it does but will probably be a while before anyone on the outside knows short of a Snowden like leak.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Its all well in good until someone fucks up, says the wrong thing, and suddenly the Martians are invading.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OK, this is what my world-war 2-esque low tech drone swarms will fire

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Hubis posted:

Well except that there actually ARE treaties about that

well yeah, but if the Russians can play loose with treaties.....

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZlqqO_AyYA

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 7, 2015

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Gunship 2000 and M1 Tank Platoon 2 loving owned and anyone who preferred Novalogic was bad and dumb.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Well A-10's are going out of service soon. Seems like the perfect argument for a police handout.

Hubis posted:

Guys I think I know what to do with all those perfectly good A-10s we are just going to waste

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Not gonna lie, I could totally see that happening in the Fallout universe.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I'm a little disappointed the Maverick still says USAF and not something like "To Protect and Serve," or assuming it's an early TV Maverick, "Always Watching"

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Smiling Jack posted:

Gunship 2000 and M1 Tank Platoon 2 loving owned and anyone who preferred Novalogic was bad and dumb.

"Sabot, up! On the wayyyyyy"

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

From what I know blowing up satellites makes poo poo harder for you in the future anyway, since now you have a bunch of scrap floating around threatening to knock your crap out of orbit.

Yep. If it gets bad enough, you run into Kessler syndrome. I actually saw a proposal to weaponize this effect; a few thousand tons of gravel spread at roughly ballistic missile altitude should be sufficient to neuter any missile attack, although it would also destroy everything else in orbit.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The ISS is ~400 tons. It is in low earth orbit. It is presently the most expensive object ever made by mankind by a wide margin. Launching several thousand tons of gravel into LEO would be, mildly put, prohibitively expensive.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I guess it's better than your entire country getting blown up.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

VikingSkull posted:

well yeah, but if the Russians can play loose with treaties.....

:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZlqqO_AyYA

Thankfully the Brits are there to keep the peace

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Alaan posted:

I guess it's better than your entire country getting blown up.

Except you just hosed up anything that relies on satellites and wrecked a lot expensive things that belong to other countries, so chances are you going to get blown up anyway, just with more conventional methods.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It would just be cheaper to pay off the country threatening to attack you.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Also wouldn't stop endoatmospheric weapons delivery.

Always another fear, isn't there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Alchenar posted:

It would just be cheaper to pay off the country threatening to attack you.

tell that to Chamberlain

e: I'm being flippant, and also unfair to Chamberlain, but the point remains: appeasement depends entirely on whether or not monetary compensation is actually something the other side is willing to settle for, and more importantly is something they're willing to settle for long-term. The same is true of any form of negotiation, really, except that in this case there's the particular double-whammy of reducing your own available options (violent or nonviolent) while enhancing theirs.

in short, relying on rational decisionmaking out of humans is dumb and foolish, because we're all idiots

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 7, 2015

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Sperglord Actual posted:

Not gonna lie, I could totally see that happening in the Fallout universe Maricopa County, Arizona.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mazz posted:

I'm a little disappointed the Maverick still says USAF and not something like "To Protect and Serve," or assuming it's an early TV Maverick, "Always Watching"

We're going to protect and serve the poo poo out of you.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mortabis posted:

The ISS is ~400 tons. It is in low earth orbit. It is presently the most expensive object ever made by mankind by a wide margin. Launching several thousand tons of gravel into LEO would be, mildly put, prohibitively expensive.

Sure, if you're using rockets. Nuclear shotguns work great. Dig an appropriately-angled mineshaft, put in nuke. Fill. Detonate nuke. A calculable and nontrivial amount of the fillends up in orbit. On the order of dozens of tons per 100kt.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Agean90 posted:

Except you just hosed up anything that relies on satellites and wrecked a lot expensive things that belong to other countries, so chances are you going to get blown up anyway, just with more conventional methods.

In the 1960s, Project West Ford involved launching 480,000,000 copper needles into orbit in order to test a communications system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_West_Ford

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

You better not be talking poo poo about F-22 Lightning II :colbert:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Psion posted:

tell that to Chamberlain

Uh, Hitler might very well have been persuaded by a trillion US dollars.

When I said "prohibitively expensive," I meant prohibitively expensive. The expense would prohibit us from doing it.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 7, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mortabis posted:

On the other hand, the ISS is a few hundred tons of finely crafted and triply-redundant machinery, the production of which must surely make up a healthy portion of the cost of the whole enterprise. Getting gravel to send to orbit would be much cheaper. Assuming we use the Falcon Heavy for launch, and the fancy piezoelectric gravel costs a few dollars per pound, we can spray 2 kilotons of gravel for "only" $3-5 billion. Plus the cost of explaining to everybody else that we've just destroyed their satellites, which might well be the larger expense.

On the other hand, since this is a space minefield, we don't need to actually launch anything, we just need to announce that these orbital corridors are full of gravel, which might be too small and dark to be detected until it destroys a satellite.

ETA: I also feel obliged to point out that the dude behind Space Gravel for Peace also proposed the use of lasers to induce rain on demand, a refrigerated brassiere to help expand a woman's breasts, isotopic dog biscuits to reduce your bitch's appeal when she's in heat, and the use of rotating EM fields to deal with dust. I'm not sure if he actually gave a poo poo about practicality.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 7, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mortabis posted:

Uh, Hitler might very well have been persuaded by a trillion US dollars.

When I said "prohibitively expensive," I meant prohibitively expensive. The expense would prohibit us from doing it.

I think if it's an all bets are off kind of situation, you could put a bunch of gravel in orbit without the same costs as current, nominally sustainable ISS supply runs. Also the ISS itself is made up of very expensive components put into orbit (which is expensive) and then maintained in orbit (which is expensive). Only one of those expenses would apply to a bunch of rocks, not all three.

Also just in general, we're firmly in the realm of counterfactual hypothetical here, but the entire "bribe them to stop" argument is predicated on a fundamental assumption that money is enough of a driving force to change someone's behavior.

That's not an assumption you can make. Consider a diehard idealogue as a country's leader - I'm sure you can think of a few examples. Would you be bribing them to stop, or bankrolling their next attempt at forcing their ideology on the world?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Why is a nuclear gravel shotgun or a Falcon 9 full of gravel even in consideration when we have been working on ASATs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-satellite_weapon) for decades?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

because using thousands of small rocks at high velocity is awesome as hell, missiles are boring and so 20th century

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Why is a nuclear gravel shotgun or a Falcon 9 full of gravel even in consideration when we have been working on ASATs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-satellite_weapon) for decades?

Nuclear. Shotgun.

Say it a few times if it doesn't hit you the first time.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Sure, if you're using rockets. Nuclear shotguns work great. Dig an appropriately-angled mineshaft, put in nuke. Fill. Detonate nuke. A calculable and nontrivial amount of the fillends up in orbit. On the order of dozens of tons per 100kt.

I believe the gravel could get to orbital altitude this way, but I'm not convinced it would get to orbital velocity.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Why do that when you can just send up a couple warheads on suborbital trajectories and Starfish Prime the gently caress out of everything?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I believe the idea is to defeat ICBMs. ASATs aren't fast enough to do it, but if one were to say, surround the Earth in a dense hail of gravel, the ICBMs would be unable to safely traverse space to reach their targets. It is a very stupid idea, but that's the idea.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

PittTheElder posted:

I believe the idea is to defeat ICBMs. ASATs aren't fast enough to do it, but if one were to say, surround the Earth in a dense hail of gravel, the ICBMs would be unable to safely traverse space to reach their targets. It is a very stupid idea, but that's the idea.
Specifically as a cheaper and simpler replacement for SDI, which was in the news at the time. Original proposal here, lower right on this page.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Why did someone photoshop out the Apache :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

bitcoin bastard posted:

The outstanding piece of modern literature "Ghost" from John Ringo had a B-2 rigged to drop SEALs from the rotary launcher, any reason we couldn't do that on a smaller scale with the F-35?

Unlike certain novelists, we are at least nominally against child soldiers.