Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tailored Sauce posted:

Rangers won in Anaheim. :stare:

They've won 11 of their last 12 games.

I would say "sorry that's not 12 out of 12" but uh, that'd be lying. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Rangers won in Anaheim. :stare:

They've won 11 of their last 12 games.

Man, I don't know how to feel about this. I mean it's awesome, but they're basically having to win almost every game to stay in a position in the division that they more or less "belong" in. The Isles game next Tuesday is going to be a a big one. Very much looking forward to it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bobby lu is coming back to Vancouver tonight. there better be a kickass tribute video or I'm gonna get more drunker and angrier at the nucks than usual

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Overwined posted:

Man, I don't know how to feel about this. I mean it's awesome, but they're basically having to win almost every game to stay in a position in the division that they more or less "belong" in. The Isles game next Tuesday is going to be a a big one. Very much looking forward to it.

Their hotstreak hasn't been against the strongest teams either - although if they have a good west coast trip it would be a lot better.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

bobby lu is coming back to Vancouver tonight. there better be a kickass tribute video or I'm gonna get more drunker and angrier at the nucks than usual

There will be. He's arguably the beset player in franchise history, there will be a couple tributes, at least one standing ovation and near constant Lou-ing. For all the crap he took, he was quite popular.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I love when Nash is standing next to Zucc, he looks so tiny even though we're just a couple of centimeters apart.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Aye Doc posted:

Lu's Vancouver pic looks like a mugshot or the after pic in an anti-drug ad. I hope the cats win tonight and he smiles even more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He looks older in Vancouver.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Bryz played like hot garbage last night, but it's nice to start the west coast trip off with a win. Rangers schedule in January is much harder than it was in December, so it'll be very interesting to see how the division looks on February 1st

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Buane posted:

Bryz played like hot garbage last night, but it's nice to start the west coast trip off with a win. Rangers schedule in January is much harder than it was in December, so it'll be very interesting to see how the division looks on February 1st

I didn't think Bryz looked that bad - he had quite a few good saves in the first two periods. Although I thought for sure it was going to be a classic Bryz game when 2 minutes into the first period he was flopping all over the place and Nash almost put in that short side shot that was blocked.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

He looks older in Vancouver.

He's playing ten years younger in Florida too. As depressing as it is, I think the trade was the best thing for him. He's good enough to be in the hall, all he needs is the personal accolades. He has a better chance of winning a Vezina in Florida than in Vancouver, and if he doesn't win a cup with the Panthers he can always be a deadline rental in a few year's time. He really deserves more recognition as one of the most talented goaltenders of his generation, and likely all time.

Miss ya Lou. :smith:

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I didn't think Bryz looked that bad - he had quite a few good saves in the first two periods. Although I thought for sure it was going to be a classic Bryz game when 2 minutes into the first period he was flopping all over the place and Nash almost put in that short side shot that was blocked.

Brassard's goal was very stoppable. The goal Nash got is a weird, lucky thing, but he was still hardly soundly-positioned. And Zucc's goal you'd like your goaltender to stop in a 2-1 game late in the 3rd, from that angle.

I guess your performance is more than just the goals you let in, but I came away pretty thankful that Bryz got the start.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
He really did just immediately go back to putting up elite numbers the second he left Vancouver, Schneider is having a good year too.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

ThinkTank posted:

He's playing ten years younger in Florida too. As depressing as it is, I think the trade was the best thing for him. He's good enough to be in the hall, all he needs is the personal accolades. He has a better chance of winning a Vezina in Florida than in Vancouver, and if he doesn't win a cup with the Panthers he can always be a deadline rental in a few year's time. He really deserves more recognition as one of the most talented goaltenders of his generation, and likely all time.

Miss ya Lou. :smith:

It was great for the Panthers too. I was at his first home game back, and that was the first shutout for the cats in almost two years.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

He really did just immediately go back to putting up elite numbers the second he left Vancouver, Schneider is having a good year too.

He put up fantastic numbers the entire time he was in Vancouver aside from the lockout season when he backed up Schneider. Lack only replaced him for a few games last year because he went into a slump and Torts decided he had no confidence in him for some reason.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Overwined posted:

*Proceeds to criticize MSL for being a baby*

lmao

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i haven't been around but rest in piss carlyle

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Luongo was pissed on and jerked around by the team for two straight years and promised to be traded on multiple occasions. MSL had his feelings hurt because he felt he was entitled to a spot on Team Canada because Yzerman managed both teams. One was an ongoing period of alienation from the team that took place over several seasons, the other was a brief spat that was resolved in a few weeks. There is no comparison between the two situations other than the fact that they both asked for trades.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Luongo was pissed on and jerked around by the team for two straight years and promised to be traded on multiple occasions. MSL had his feelings hurt because he felt he was entitled to a spot on Team Canada because Yzerman managed both teams. One was an ongoing period of alienation from the team that took place over several seasons, the other was a brief spat that was resolved in a few weeks. There is no comparison between the two situations other than the fact that they both asked for trades.

i don't doubt that you actually believe this but it's still really, really funny

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I think the common ground between the two situations is that they are both huge babies

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I don't think it's fair to say "Oh, Bryz was hot garbage" to take away from how the Rangers played last night.

There were a few boneheaded penalties but otherwise I thought they kept up and sometimes dominated a team that's bigger and more physical than they are. JT Miller was noticeable every time he was on the ice too, in a good way. I think he's beginning to "get it". Klein was loving fantastic and I kind of want a Kleinatar. They kept playing team defense well. Staal looks slow but he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Also Nash has really been playing his rear end off defensively and isn't getting enough credit for it.

Just please beat the Kings tonight. It won't make up for last June, but gently caress the goddamn Kings.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Their hotstreak hasn't been against the strongest teams either - although if they have a good west coast trip it would be a lot better.

I mean, yeah, but on the other hand you still have to win the games against the weaker teams. It's still an impressive streak.

At any rate, there will be more division games coming up eventually which will really start dividing some of the standings. The Rangers have only played Washington once and I'm not even sure if they've played the Islanders at all

ThinkTank posted:

Uh, pretty sure there were rumors that St Louis and Yzerman had been at odds for a lot longer than just a few weeks. I don't really want to go back through all of that but at the very least St Louis had wanted to leave Tampa at some point several years ago and Yzerman convinced him to stay. While the Team Canada thing is part of it I'm sure, I"m also sure there was a lot more to it.

Also people give Luongo a pass because of his twitter account let's be completely honest

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brain Curry posted:

Lu's Vancouver pic looks like a mugshot or the after pic in an anti-drug ad. I hope the cats win tonight and he smiles even more.

if the canucks win I'm going to be upset. they don't deserve it tonight

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Levitate posted:

Also people give Luongo a pass because of his twitter account let's be completely honest

Remember when Tim Thomas was the cool fun goalie and Roberto Luongo was the dull and dour loser?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Uh, pretty sure there were rumors that St Louis and Yzerman had been at odds for a lot longer than just a few weeks. I don't really want to go back through all of that but at the very least St Louis had wanted to leave Tampa at some point several years ago and Yzerman convinced him to stay. While the Team Canada thing is part of it I'm sure, I"m also sure there was a lot more to it.

There was a trade request in 2009, but St. Louis was convinced to stay (this was pre-Yzerman though). And according to this beat guy who claims he had an off the record with St. Louis the primary motivating factor was the Team Canada snub and he'd still be in Tampa if not for it.

quote:

Yes, there were family considerations and career ramifications, but St. Louis would still be in Tampa Bay if he had not been initially left off the Canadian Olympic team by Team Canada executive director and Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman.

That's it. That's pretty much what it was all about. Being left off the Canadian Olympic team by Yzerman.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/marty-st-louis-was-anyone-more-loyal/2183737

quote:

No doubt and Luongo was hardly blameless. He acted fairly childlike at times, but then again I think in the end he was justified in asking to be moved. St. Louis just seemed to want to get out and jumped at the first reasonable opportunity to ask for a trade.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Hand Knit posted:

Remember when Tim Thomas was the cool fun goalie and Roberto Luongo was the dull and dour loser?

This was never true and people always separated Luongo from the rest of those loser Canucks.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This was never true and people always separated Luongo from the rest of those loser Canucks.

This is revisionist history at it worst. Remember cackling with glee as no name Chicago reporters made Lu listen to Chelsea Dagger on headphones?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

nature6pk posted:

Remember cackling with glee as no name Chicago reporters made Lu listen to Chelsea Dagger on headphones?

This also didn't happen, it was a Global BC thing and Luongo doesn't appear in it. Unless there was some other instance where reporters played Chelsea dagger to the Canucks that I'm unaware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cV688Fi-g

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

nature6pk posted:

This is revisionist history at it worst. Remember cackling with glee as no name Chicago reporters made Lu listen to Chelsea Dagger on headphones?

I was more specifically referring to the Canucks vs. Bruins and Luongo/Tim Thomas thing.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Hand Knit posted:

Actually Tim Thomas was a Bruin so he could never be cool

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

sportsgenius86 posted:

you going to the ASG? I got tickets for the Skills Competition.

Might snag some for the Skills Competition because if I'm going to drop that sort of coin on ASG weekend tickets, it's going to be for the slightly more interesting event.

Levitate posted:

I mean, yeah, but on the other hand you still have to win the games against the weaker teams. It's still an impressive streak.

At any rate, there will be more division games coming up eventually which will really start dividing some of the standings. The Rangers have only played Washington once and I'm not even sure if they've played the Islanders at all

Gotta play the bad teams. As a Jackets fan frustratedly watching my team try to chase yours down and make up absolutely no ground, "Points is Points" definitely applies whether it's:

PIT-VAN-EDM-CAL-CAR-CAR-WSH-NJD-FLA-BUF-ANA

or

FLA-@FLA-@TBL-PHI-@WSH-PIT-@DET-WSH-CHI-NSH-BOS-MIN-@ARI-@COL-@DAL

The question for me is how each team (and the Caps, also hot) performs the rest of the way. CBJ need to quit taking Caps games to OT.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

This also didn't happen, it was a Global BC thing and Luongo doesn't appear in it. Unless there was some other instance where reporters played Chelsea dagger to the Canucks that I'm unaware of.

I seem to recall Lu being forced to listen to it at some point, but hell if I can find video proof of it.

Maybe it was just a twitter comment he made about the song at some point.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The Rangers also have 2-3 games at hand on all the teams above them.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

ThinkTank posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cV688Fi-g

This most certainly did happen.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I was more specifically referring to the Canucks vs. Bruins and Luongo/Tim Thomas thing.

Fine, remember chastising Luongo over the whole "pumping his tires" debacle? That series was completely about demonizing the Canucks no matter who they were.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JP Parise passed away.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
neal and nystrom placed on IR and salomaki has been called up again. not sure what nystrom's deal is. neal's had a "lower body injury" for a while now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Trevor Bird posted:

neal and nystrom placed on IR and salomaki has been called up again. not sure what nystrom's deal is. neal's had a "lower body injury" for a while now.

I didn't know Nashville was doing all this winning without Neal, that's pretty awesome. How long has he been out?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Aphrodite posted:

JP Parise passed away.

He swung his goodly Canadian stick at the foreheads of despots everywhere. Godspeed, JP.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Trevor Bird posted:

Nystrom missed his radio show yesterday because of injury so I'm going to guess hot brain.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I didn't know Nashville was doing all this winning without Neal, that's pretty awesome. How long has he been out?

I think he's only missed 3 games so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Darcy Kuemper placed on IR

• Locked thread