Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

leokitty posted:

I think it's hard to predict how Manny will actually do because he's already started doing an image rehab which is the #1 thing to do. Also if you played in a big market and the local media liked you or can be convinced that they liked you that seems to work pretty well. Every New England sports writer suddenly deciding that Jim Rice was the nicest dude in the world to them because the Red Sox said so played a big part in that whole thing. Mussina gets very few votes from the NY writers because he rubbed all those dudes the wrong way for years.

Because Hall voting was not very organized and they had an insanely huge number of candidates to consider.
As eager as many of the voters have been to paint anyone and everyone with the PED brush, I can't imagine some token image massaging is going to make up for Manny's two positive tests, plus the whole "Manny being Manny" thing and how much Boston decided they hated him towards the end.

We have guys like Bagwell and Piazza being held out because of vague rumors and hunches about steroids ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Partial results, first BBOF class voting in 1936:

Yes, there are players who were active at the time the vote was held in there! They hadn't even established that it should be for retired players only at that point.

bawfuls posted:

As eager as many of the voters have been to paint anyone and everyone with the PED brush, I can't imagine some token image massaging is going to make up for Manny's two positive tests, plus the whole "Manny being Manny" thing and how much Boston decided they hated him towards the end.

We have guys like Bagwell and Piazza being held out because of vague rumors and hunches about steroids ffs.

I don't think he will get in but I think he will do better than expected and if anyone starts writing Manny apologia the Red Sox will start one of their Hall PR campaigns for him.

VV It's amazing how suddenly all these people like Jim Rice and Jack Morris became gosh just the nicest dudes 15 year later

leokitty fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 9, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

bawfuls posted:

That was just so the Red Sox could kick him out, I'm pretty sure everyone would pretend like they never hated him in the first place at this point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

leokitty posted:

Partial results, first BBOF class voting in 1936:

Yes, there are players who were active at the time the vote was held in there! They hadn't even established that it should be for retired players only at that point.

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about the chaos that was hall voting then, and they were only a year removed from Babe's last game, too.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Inspector_666 posted:

I still don't understand how Babe Ruth didn't even get 100%.

Because sports writers were just as poo poo then as they are now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

I still don't understand how Babe Ruth didn't even get 100%.

Really wish he had so there wouldn't be this dumb prohibition against getting 100% today

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

For better or worse I imagine Manny is going to do a lot better in voting than Sheffield and other comparable players. He won't get in but name recognition goes quite a long way, and he had the good luck of having his negative tests come after the initial big scandals were already out, and likely will have the good luck of a less loaded ballot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reformed Pissboy posted:

For better or worse I imagine Manny is going to do a lot better in voting than Sheffield and other comparable players. He won't get in but name recognition goes quite a long way, and he had the good luck of having his negative tests come after the initial big scandals were already out, and likely will have the good luck of a less loaded ballot.
I figure he will get just below what Bonds/Clemens are getting now

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Manny's candidacy will probably depend largely on what extent the Red Sox PR machine goes to bat for him. If John Henry wants Manny in the Hall, the Boston writers will fall in line. That's all that's keeping ESPN from being on board, and that wins the narrative. If they decide he's not a True Red Sox like Jim Rice, then he's going to be like a roided up Dick Allen.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Intruder posted:

Really wish he had so there wouldn't be this dumb prohibition against getting 100% today

It's probably best to think of the BBWAA as a bunch of alcoholics who have almost no idea what they're talking about who just happen to be the gatekeepers of what should be baseball's highest honor.

It would explain why Tom Seaver has the highest percentage at the very least. He's worthy of being there but not with a bigger %age over Babe Ruth.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I think you over-estimate how closely hall of fame voters follow baseball news and how much time they spend on their ballots.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Island Nation posted:

It's probably best to think of the BBWAA as a bunch of alcoholics who have almost no idea what they're talking about who just happen to be the gatekeepers of what should be baseball's highest honor.

I feel like retired players should probably be the frontline arbiters for entrance rather than just kind of one of the background committees.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I feel like retired players should probably be the frontline arbiters for entrance rather than just kind of one of the background committees.
As a group, players are even slower to embrace new stats and ways of evaluating performance than writers. They'd be even worse about inducting new players than the writers are.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 9, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Then how do you fix it?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Have SAS users be the only voters.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Island Nation posted:

It would explain why Tom Seaver has the highest percentage at the very least. He's worthy of being there but not with a bigger %age over Babe Ruth.

When Ruth was elected the ballot consisted of literally every single player in the history of major league baseball to that point, including active players or guys who had just retired. It was a huge mess to sort out. Look at the results from that year Leo posted. CY YOUNG didn't even crack 50%

Inspector_666 posted:

Then how do you fix it?

For a start get rid of the guys who haven't actively covered the game in decades but still get a vote, and open up the voting pool to include more internet writers, TV/radio people, etc. People who have actually watched a game recently and might pay attention to some of the recent advances in stats and stuff. You'd still get plenty of dumb voters, but there'd also be way more good ones and you wouldn't have a loving golf magazine with multiple hall of fame votes.

If the last several decades of sports television have taught us anything, it is that ex-athletes are dumb as gently caress when it comes to big picture sports stuff. You really want, like, Joe Morgan and Tim McCaver deciding who gets in the Hall of Fame? They also tend to be small hall as hell once they actually get elected, unless they're campaigning for one of their friends, because they want it to be exclusive as possible to make them feel more special.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 9, 2015

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

These assholes failed to elect Tim Raines so the obvious solution is to let me be solely in charge.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Actual answer (proposed by Keith Olbermann):

Commissioner of Baseball nominates 1 person.
President of the AL (Chrissy Teagan in Olbermann's vision) nominates 1.
President of the NL nominates 1.

The BBWAA may elect any additional players they think deserve to go in on merit.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Who votes on the nominations? I don't see how that system is any different than the current one at the end of the day.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
If you want to get more aggressive about fixing the Hall, you get the Hall itself to issue some clarifications/statements on voting guidelines such as: do not leave a player out of your votes just because it's his first year on the ballot or you're worried that "too many" players will be elected; sending in a blank ballot will result in losing your vote for X years; players who have not failed tests or been convicted of drug crimes should be treated as not having done PEDs. In combination with clearing out the deadwood writers and eliminating the ballot limit, this should lead to a reduction of some of the most egregious systematic problems.

If you want to get really aggressive, also take note every time a writer either 1) votes for a player that receives <5%, or 2) fails to vote for a player that receives >90%. Get too many strikes in a particular period and you get your ballot suspended for a few years. That would in theory discourage habitual trolls and Darin Erstad voters.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
There's nothing wrong with voting for a Darin Erstad in normal years, though. A kudos vote when you have an extra spot on a ballot isn't a thing worth getting worked up about.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

leokitty posted:

There's nothing wrong with voting for a Darin Erstad in normal years, though. A kudos vote when you have an extra spot on a ballot isn't a thing worth getting worked up about.

Well, I was serious about it being an extremely aggressive idea. Also, I figure if you make blank ballots illegal then you're going to get some assholes voting for just one rando, and I felt like offering a crazy system instead of subjective "just look at the ballots and anyone who's repeatedly being a poo poo loses their vote".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Inspector_666 posted:

They did that with the Veterans Committee (which for a while comprised every living Hall of Famer) -- they voted five times and elected no one.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Mornacale posted:

If you want to get more aggressive about fixing the Hall, you get the Hall itself to issue some clarifications/statements on voting guidelines such as: do not leave a player out of your votes just because it's his first year on the ballot or you're worried that "too many" players will be elected; sending in a blank ballot will result in losing your vote for X years; players who have not failed tests or been convicted of drug crimes should be treated as not having done PEDs. In combination with clearing out the deadwood writers and eliminating the ballot limit, this should lead to a reduction of some of the most egregious systematic problems.

If you want to get really aggressive, also take note every time a writer either 1) votes for a player that receives <5%, or 2) fails to vote for a player that receives >90%. Get too many strikes in a particular period and you get your ballot suspended for a few years. That would in theory discourage habitual trolls and Darin Erstad voters.

This would be great but Jeff Idelson and the curators at the hall are just as conservative and hero worshipping as the BBWAA. I wouldn't trust HoF leadership with anything at this point. I also wouldn't trust people like Bud Selig, because I mean seriously. The HoF should be separate from MLB somewhat, at least to be slightly adrift from the corporate offices.

I don't know what can be done, and I fear that any drastic change in voting protocol would drive away fans because "tradition :derp:".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

One of the guys for Baseball America, I'm not sure if it was JJ Cooper or John Manuel, pointed out that the HOF may be deliberately trying to keep out steroid guys because they are afraid that the more vocal anti-steroid crowd will then stop supporting the Hall and cost them money. I guess it's plausible. But they also brought up that the Hall lost more money again last year despite the election of a large class.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
No one ever mentions or investigates this further which always infuriates me considering guys like Bagwell and Piazza are denied simply on speculation

http://t.co/hV1hcaR7id

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dick Williams posted:

No one ever mentions or investigates this further which always infuriates me considering guys like Bagwell and Piazza are denied simply on speculation

http://t.co/hV1hcaR7id

Who would that even be? Rickey? Or a 41 year old Boggs, I guess. I'm not sure what you want people to investigate.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MourningView posted:

Who would that even be? Rickey? Or a 41 year old Boggs, I guess. I'm not sure what you want people to investigate.
The signs point to Rickey yes. There's another article linked from that one that tries to pin down who it is, and Rickey seems the most likely.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rickey wouldn't say it like that. For starters, Rickey can't even pronounce people's names correctly. The fact that Rickey used the first person tips me off immediately that it isn't him.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
If anyone would have a roid hookup it's be Rickey, just a few doors down from Canseco and McGwire.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

FlamingLiberal posted:

One of the guys for Baseball America, I'm not sure if it was JJ Cooper or John Manuel, pointed out that the HOF may be deliberately trying to keep out steroid guys because they are afraid that the more vocal anti-steroid crowd will then stop supporting the Hall and cost them money. I guess it's plausible. But they also brought up that the Hall lost more money again last year despite the election of a large class.

They should probably play to the crowd that will be alive in 15 years.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I hope it closes because it's dumb.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

They should probably play to the crowd that will be alive in 15 years.
haha when was the last time baseball made that choice correctly?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

joshtothemaxx posted:

This would be great but Jeff Idelson and the curators at the hall are just as conservative and hero worshipping as the BBWAA. I wouldn't trust HoF leadership with anything at this point. I also wouldn't trust people like Bud Selig, because I mean seriously. The HoF should be separate from MLB somewhat, at least to be slightly adrift from the corporate offices.

I don't know what can be done, and I fear that any drastic change in voting protocol would drive away fans because "tradition :derp:".

Of course, but if the question is "how do you fix the Hall?" no answer will pass this test.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is the HOF losing money currently?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Is the HOF losing money currently?
Yes they have been in the red the last few years

Kundus
Oct 30, 2014
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/01/02/Events-and-Attractions/Baseball-Hall-of-Fame.aspx
1. They're in the red on their balance sheet.
2. Attendance is (or was, old article) down.
3. Doesn't matter because they're a nonprofit with wealthy benefactors.

So, they're probably fine.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IDK it just kind of seems the HOF dicussions/arguments everywhere have gotten really vitrolic and unfun lately. The current crisis of what to do with a stacked ballot and the "steroid era" players is certainly significant, but there's been crises in the HOF's past before, and there's probably going to be more in the future. It's just part of the silly culture of a museum that's really cool but doesn't really matter in the long run anyway. IDK maybe this is just personal to me, I used to really enjoy the HOF threads every year.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Alain Post posted:

IDK it just kind of seems the HOF dicussions/arguments everywhere have gotten really vitrolic and unfun lately. The current crisis of what to do with a stacked ballot and the "steroid era" players is certainly significant, but there's been crises in the HOF's past before, and there's probably going to be more in the future. It's just part of the silly culture of a museum that's really cool but doesn't really matter in the long run anyway. IDK maybe this is just personal to me, I used to really enjoy the HOF threads every year.

I think there's a major generational conflict going on, basically. A lot of voters seem to be using their Hall to delegitimize a whole era of baseball in favor of nostalgia. This leads to a lot of bad feelings from the younger generation, myself included, since our formative baseball years are being disrespected in a really stupid and hypocritical way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mornacale posted:

I think there's a major generational conflict going on, basically. A lot of voters seem to be using their Hall to delegitimize a whole era of baseball in favor of nostalgia. This leads to a lot of bad feelings from the younger generation, myself included, since our formative baseball years are being disrespected in a really stupid and hypocritical way.

Basically this. If "greenies" and Ty loving Cobb are in the hall (along with players who never had to play against black athletes) then the fact that Piazza used a supplement that wasn't even illegal at the time is being used to keep him out of the hall looks really, really dumb.

And my favorite argument, which is that even if you throw out everything Barry Bonds did after 2000 (don't do this, but whatever) he's still a Hall of Famer.

• Locked thread