Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

LordPants posted:

I know, but UFC seem to be losing public perception battle regardless. They should probably "suspend" Jones for dumb period of time (Y'know, till his next fight) and then announce it's UFC policy to suspend people who test positive for illegal drugs out of competition.

It's because the perception is they tried to cover up a positive drug test by a champion that they knew about for a month (including, officially, from the fighter himself) that would have gotten any other fighter in the company suspended or fired. The issue being that's exactly what transpired and they can't spin it by trying to make Jones to be viewed as the victim as Jones was already known for playing the victim card over and over and over again. There is no public perception battle here as much as trying to hold back the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I think most people don't really care and in a few weeks everyone is going to be talking about Anderson Silva anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

It's because the perception is they tried to cover up a positive drug test by a champion that they knew about for a month (including, officially, from the fighter himself) that would have gotten any other fighter in the company suspended or fired. The issue being that's exactly what transpired and they can't spin it by trying to make Jones to be viewed as the victim as Jones was already known for playing the victim card over and over and over again. There is no public perception battle here as much as trying to hold back the ocean.

No one is getting fired for a first time out of competition cocaine positive. Melvin wasn't fired for testing positive in competition.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Jones is the greatest LHW of all time and also a massive rear end in a top hat who is guaranteed to self-destruct in the next couple of years. Which will be entertaining to watch, although I hope he stacks some paper for that eventuality, unlike Tyson.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

LordPants posted:

I know, but UFC seem to be losing public perception battle regardless. They should probably "suspend" Jones for dumb period of time (Y'know, till his next fight) and then announce it's UFC policy to suspend people who test positive for illegal drugs out of competition.

There is no public perception battle because nobody gives a poo poo. Nobody fighters in nothing divisions shouldn't take shots at the ufc and money fighters when they gently caress up, because it makes them look worse when they already look bad, which will lead to them getting cut and posting mad tweets.

Doresain
Oct 7, 2003

Fun Shoe

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

There is no public perception battle because nobody gives a poo poo. Nobody fighters in nothing divisions shouldn't take shots at the ufc and money fighters when they gently caress up, because it makes them look worse when they already look bad, which will lead to them getting cut and posting mad tweets.

This. In competition vs out of competition is a much bigger differentiator here than Jon Jones getting special celebrity treatment. Also, do you really need a drug test to tell you that a young UFC champion who is cocky as gently caress has been doing coke off of the asses of Brazilian strippers? No, of course not. poo poo is elementary. If you were him you'd be doing coke too. The big surprise is that he was dumb enough to get caught. Never mind, should have seen that coming too.

Also, on a much cooler note, watching that Bendo vs Cerrone 1 fight (which I hadn't seen before) on YouTube has convinced me of a few things.

1. Bendo actually used to be sort of cool. Definitive proof that back wings have a direct negative correlation to awesome fighting. See also: dogtag tattoos and tattoos of people's faces (Johnny Cash excluded, Belcher's fat Elvis gently kissing Cote goodnight ruled).
2. Cerrone may be a retarded drunken redneck but gently caress is he a cool-to-watch punchman.
3. This fight should be loving rad, unless Cerrone is frozen solid from sitting in his loving RV in a Boston winter and Bendo is able to execute his 'big wet blanket with a toothpick' gameplan.
4. Most importantly, someone needs to finally retire the shambling corpse that was once Frank Mir before he is punched completely retarded so he can get back to commentating, because dude was great at it and I would take him over Florian or Stann any day.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2405154/Hypothetical-Coke-Dealer-Question/?pc=211

wes sims, in his inimitable style, is saying that one of the coaches at jackson's is a coke dealer

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Triticum Guzzler posted:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2405154/Hypothetical-Coke-Dealer-Question/?pc=211

wes sims, in his inimitable style, is saying that one of the coaches at jackson's is a coke dealer

Wasn't Melvin a Jackson fighter too?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Oh this is getting amazing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Doresain posted:

4. Most importantly, someone needs to finally retire the shambling corpse that was once Frank Mir before he is punched completely retarded so he can get back to commentating, because dude was great at it and I would take him over Florian or Stann any day.

try watching torres/mizugaki before committing to this

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I agree with the person who said "try to get some fans"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dangersim posted:

I think most people don't really care and in a few weeks everyone is going to be talking about Anderson Silva anyway.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Lid posted:

Wasn't Melvin a Jackson fighter too?

Yes, but Melvin popped for cocaine way back in 2007, and AFAIK he didn't go to Albuquerque until late 2009. I mean, if somebody on Jackson's coaching staff is a dealer that couldn't possibly have been good for Guillard, but it didn't get him started or anything. Mostly I'm enjoying the image of some guy trying to sell cocaine to Cerrone, and Cowboy just saying, "nah man winners don't do drugs" and then immediately shotgunning three tallboys in under a minute.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Cerrone has probably tried everything under the sun only to find that nothing matches jumping a jetski through a flaming hoop.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

I don't now about your gyms but every one I've been has a dude who can get you things so it doesn't surprise me.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
remember lenny garcia getting arrested for being part of a coke ring

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
no, I try to forget that Leonard Garcia is a thing that happened for a while

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Ronda Rousey is now training with Jens Pulver.

http://t.co/lvGJIJHpQC

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I feel like if mma had journalists, this would be a real thing

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I don't remember, but I'm going to guess that he was obviously guilty but two judges gave him a 29-28 anyway.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Lamadrid posted:

I don't now about your gyms but every one I've been has a dude who can get you things so it doesn't surprise me.

And its normally the staff or regulars and not a random guy.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Cody McKenzie kind of owns

quote:

McKenzie said he has deleted all of his social media accounts and won't do any more interviews. He's not going to get involved in the antitrust lawsuit filed against the UFC last week, because he doesn't believe in suing and the litigious nature of the current-day United States.

quote:

"I would love to fight Dana White," McKenzie said. "I'd love to beat him up. He talks bad about fighters all the time, disrespects fighters. Yeah, he's a piece of work."

More good stuff here: http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/10/7448311/ex-ufc-fighter-cody-mckenzie-would-fight-dana-white-for-free-id-love

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
the rest of that interview is cool but the "litigious nature of the United States" thing is just something that stupid people say

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

manyak posted:

the rest of that interview is cool but the "litigious nature of the United States" thing is just something that stupid people say

it's very surprising to hear Cody McKenzie say something stupid

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Fat Twitter Man posted:

it's very surprising to hear Cody McKenzie say something stupid

oh i get it. because hes stupid?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

manyak posted:

We do have a lot of lawyers and spend a lot on the system:

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21571141-cheaper-legal-education-and-more-liberal-rules-would-benefit-americas-lawyersand-their
"America has more lawyers per person of its population than any of 29 countries studied (except Greece), and it spends two to three times as much on its tort system, as a percentage of GDP, as other big economies (except Italy, where things are nearly as bad)."

...but the problem might be judges and procedure rather than an especially sue-happy culture:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/olin_center/papers/pdf/Ramseyer_681.pdf
"We suggest that the notoriety of the U.S. does not result from the way citizens and judges handle routine disputes, which is not very different from in other wealthy, democratic societies. Instead, American notoriety results from the peculiarly dysfunctional way judges handle disputes in discrete legal areas such as class actions and punitive damages."

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

manyak posted:

Just because stupid people say something a lot doesn't make it untrue.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Lid posted:

So Ashley Evans-Smith tested positive for a diuretic and that means its time for everyone to throw the UFCs own words back at them

She just could make the weight, therfore not performance enhancing, therefore I don't know she needs to go to rehab.

McLeish's first response was much better

quote:

She takes flowers, weird sh-t. It could possibly be that.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ditch posted:

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21571141-cheaper-legal-education-and-more-liberal-rules-would-benefit-americas-lawyersand-their
"America has more lawyers per person of its population than any of 29 countries studied (except Greece), and it spends two to three times as much on its tort system, as a percentage of GDP, as other big economies (except Italy, where things are nearly as bad)."

...but the problem might be judges and procedure rather than an especially sue-happy culture:

"We suggest that the notoriety of the U.S. does not result from the way citizens and judges handle routine disputes, which is not very different from in other wealthy, democratic societies. Instead, American notoriety results from the peculiarly dysfunctional way judges handle disputes in discrete legal areas such as class actions and punitive damages."

Yeah its not cheap or efficient i just mean the talking point idea that Americans sue at the drop of a hat because theyre complainers or whatever

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

rory vs lombard ufc 186 in montreal

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

acai moonsault posted:

heck yeah two plausible murderers

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Ditch posted:

This is a good point. When you think about it, there are a lot of muslims in africa, that's just facts. And there are a lot of war crimes there. Now I'm not saying anything beyond that but those are both true.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

acai moonsault posted:

I really want to see 15 minutes of someone motionless behind Rory's jab again.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

SaberToothedPie posted:

heck yeah two plausible murderers

lombard would at most be an accessory to murder because we would just stand and watch and do nothing

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Yeah, this reeks of a Macdonald/Woodley reprise.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
That sounds like it will be a terrible fight

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Same but unironically. if Rory keeps jabbing all the lil roided up frontrunner guys out of title contention ill start to love him as much as that person here who thinks hes hot somehow

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If we can force a weird canadian to have boring fights, maybe casual fans will tune back into this post-GSP world

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Rory is probably enough evidence for GSP to believe aliens are here among us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
there's no mma today so we're watching UFC 43: Meltdown in pspmma's taima

• Locked thread