Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

sbaldrick posted:

Sadly it's never that kind of gossip, not that anyone here would care as we are currently 82% men.

Our gossip is "did you hear about the layoffs in x department or about the stupid cell phone plan"

I have to tell everyone about our stupid cell phone plan that has never been officially announced, but everyone knows about to the point they had to send out an email saying it was put on hold. The plan is to give everyone cell phones to replace our desk phones, which would be fine but for the fact we have no cell reception in 90% of the buildings. Everyone hopes the project has been put on hold because the executives have finally listened to the IT people about needing repeaters, but that's unlikely.

This is so they can call you any time day or night, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Turning off your company cell phone is now a fire able offence.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Off? No no, you must be mistaken. I would never turn it off, but I live in a signal blackspot.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
"No, I'm out of town this weekend."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Grouco posted:

"No, I'm out of town this weekend."

This, but don't tell them ahead of time. Just don't answer your phone on the weekend and if someone bitches at you the following monday, tell them oh sorry, I was out of town.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

feedmegin posted:

Other countries manage it. If you're in the UK and you're a salaried employee instead of self-employed or whatever, there are no tax forms to file and no refund/money to pay at the end of the tax year. HMRC calculate it for you automatically. :sun:

Why do you hate freedom? :qq:

Edit: sorry, I already posted that in this thread.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Is this a joke or are you serious? I can't tell any more.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hugbot posted:

Somebody else said that literally every office survey will come back with "lovely communication" but I haven't worked enough corporate jobs to know. At my current place, there is actually really good communication between everyone who is not upper management. The problems come from upper management not communicating with each other, and sometimes giving contradictory directives to underlings without communicating to everyone all at once. It grinds efficiency to a halt and has caused more than a couple massively expensive fuckups. This was why those surveys came back the way they did, and the response was, "the problem isn't us, it's you. Go build a card house and learn how to listen."

This is the point where you go from putting "poor communication" on surveys to "management can't make up their loving minds, so we can't do our jobs effectively". One of my first tech support jobs was like that, with a supervisor that was gutless and management that couldn't decide how things should be done. After working on a document conversion project with a couple other techs, and having the requirements and layout change at least twice a week over the course of 5 weeks, I just stopped working on it altogether. My supervisor asked why and I told him I was sick of starting from scratch every week because inevitably we'd get one set of instructions on Monday, and Wednesday we'd get another different set and have to scrap the work we spent a couple days on.

Sure, I got a written warning for refusing to work on the project, but I didn't care because it was the last straw in a long line of stressful events at that job (mainly from my supervisor's boss). I quit not long after that, and the entire site I worked at closed less than 3 months later.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
How do people work 60+ hours per week regularly and survive? What is your secret? Is it drugs? I'm working 11-12 hours per day, 5 days per week, and its looking like I'm going to be picking up 8 more hours on the weekend. The only reason I don't work more during the week is because I literally can't due to public transit. The worst(?) part is it's not even mandated that I have to work this much, it'll just cost us a lot of money if I don't get everything done that needs to be. The extra money is nice, but it's been two and a half months and I want to throw myself off a bridge. :negative:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I'm in a factory so overtime is mostly used as a reward for hourly employees (I hate this and each hour of overtime is like 25% less worth it than the last and on the rare occasions we run Sundays we get like a third of a shift's worth of work done but we're union and it's the culture and this is not a fight I can win). So maybe this doesn't apply in your situation. But from what I've seen, the secret to pulling 60 hour weeks regularly is, you sleep on the job.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

ladyweapon posted:

How do people work 60+ hours per week regularly and survive? What is your secret? Is it drugs? I'm working 11-12 hours per day, 5 days per week, and its looking like I'm going to be picking up 8 more hours on the weekend. The only reason I don't work more during the week is because I literally can't due to public transit. The worst(?) part is it's not even mandated that I have to work this much, it'll just cost us a lot of money if I don't get everything done that needs to be. The extra money is nice, but it's been two and a half months and I want to throw myself off a bridge. :negative:

I like the system of the company I work for. You have the contracted working hours (40) and any over-hours accrued can be used to take time off, leave early or have a long lunch break.

So, yeah, if you aren't a workaholic then working for a company which trusts you to manage your own time helps alot.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

ladyweapon posted:

Not having loved ones in your immediate life. I have done 60 and 80 hour work weeks (including one time I did 140 hours in 11 days straight which had a 20 hour shift in the middle of it) fairly regularly in the past, and those included weekends. I would go home, drink, eat, play video games, and sleep. I still have to do those now from time to time, but I have a wife to come home to and it's a lot harder to push myself to work that many hours or to work seven days a week for three weeks straight.

I totally understand about wanting to throw yourself off a bridge. Best advice I have is to use your weekends to recharge and spend times with loved ones to remind yourself what you've got to come home to.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

I like the system of the company I work for. You have the contracted working hours (40) and any over-hours accrued can be used to take time off, leave early or have a long lunch break.

So, yeah, if you aren't a workaholic then working for a company which trusts you to manage your own time helps alot.

Most people work these hours because they have to because of poor management (under staffed, improper scheduling, and so on), not because they like to be at the office, are workaholics or are bad at managing their own time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ladyweapon posted:

You're going to burn out. The 40 hour work week is sustainable, 60 isn't.

Unless you have a large amount of equity and your work directly impacts the bottom line to a significant degree, or you NEED the money, 60 hours is probably way more than you should be doing in the first place. It's fine for short bursts, but if you feel that your whole department will fall behind unless you do this then you're either a sucker, or your headcount is way too low (or both!).

Don't do the weekend overtime unless you absolutely must.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

"Hey the assistant that is terrible at her job is taking 1 day off next week, please handle all this poo poo as she is getting stressed about the deadline being end of next week"

Already halfway done after an hour. this assistant gets paid almost as much as I do :bang:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

MickeyFinn posted:

This is so they can call you any time day or night, right?

I'm already on call due to signing authority. Due to our insanely powerful union however we can tell people to gently caress off if they call.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

ladyweapon posted:

I worked 100+hours / week for about 5 months and rewrote half a production code base for a pretty big service by myself because things were in such bad shape it would be an utter flop out the door with everyone getting laid off probably. I think a lot of it had to do with what constitutes work. But I basically would get called at 1 am, go to work in another 5 hours, and even while on "vacation" I'd get called about crap because nobody could handle it due to management unable to hire another sucker. I was a bit ignorant but I really, really hated my previous job and dangling another $40k in front of my face for making it through a year was a sort of consolation partly. Problem with being so overworked is you get completely loving fried and can barely think during an interview, which gives people a terrible impression of you.

My consolations aside from work: I got home, hosed my new wife's brains out (got married 5 months before), I slept every waking moment I could, and I did what I can to exercise here and there (can't stay in shape off cardio alone). No social life, I barely kept up with actual industry knowledge necessary for me to interview my way out of hell, and I made it a whole 9 months.

I lost roughly $50k total payout post-tax for not lasting another 3 months. The following job managed to let me have the opposite where I sit around for 40 hours / week, albeit while I was terrified of being let go for lack of gigs.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ladyweapon posted:

You don't. You can cope for awhile, but eventually you eventually the stress and fatigue gets to you. You will burn out, how you burn out is up to you, either you negotiate something sane, you stand up on your desk and tell everyone in ear shot to go gently caress themselves then walk out, or one morning your alarm goes off, you've had 6 hours of sleep and you say gently caress it and go back to sleep.

When you say "It will cost us a lot of money" shouldn't it be changed to "It will cost the people currently screwing me on hours a lot of money?"

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I've been burnt out for the last 2 weeks :j: The only reason I'm working so much is due to my coworker being on maternity leave. Once shes back in March, I'm back to sane hours.

CitizenKain posted:

When you say "It will cost us a lot of money" shouldn't it be changed to "It will cost the people currently screwing me on hours a lot of money?"
It already costs them a lot of money for me to be here, they pay me overtime & my Christmas bonus ended up being something like 12% of my salary for going above and beyond. I told my boss I would come in today, but the transit routes are awful and I refuse to bus for an hour then walk ~2 miles just to go to work, so the company would have to expense a Car2Go for the day. He agreed without hesitation. So, here me & my coworker are, at work on a Saturday. On the upside, she brought mimosa's. :toot:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

ladyweapon posted:

I've been burnt out for the last 2 weeks :j: The only reason I'm working so much is due to my coworker being on maternity leave. Once shes back in March, I'm back to sane hours.

It already costs them a lot of money for me to be here, they pay me overtime & my Christmas bonus ended up being something like 12% of my salary for going above and beyond. I told my boss I would come in today, but the transit routes are awful and I refuse to bus for an hour then walk ~2 miles just to go to work, so the company would have to expense a Car2Go for the day. He agreed without hesitation. So, here me & my coworker are, at work on a Saturday. On the upside, she brought mimosa's. :toot:

While I realize it is very easy to make suggestions and much harder to follow through with them, and I would not necessarily have the temerity to do this myself: it sounds like they need you something fierce, ask for crazy poo poo. Perhaps next weekend, when then transit routes are bad again, you suggest a company car. Or that a traveling petting zoo be set up outside so you can blow off stress with baby animals.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you

Uh, yeah. That.

Going above and beyond is coming in out of hours in some sort of emergency or pulling long days to finish up an urgent project. What you're doing is quite literally the job of two people.

When someone goes on maternity you bring in someone else. I hate to say it as it's a cliché, but also true in this case: you're not only hurting yourself, you're depriving the labour pool of that job and hurting the rest of the workforce by participating in this.

Your employer is toxic (and a whole bunch of other things - unethical springs to mind) and you need to find a new one. Much easier said than done I know, but please tell us you at least acknowledge that this situation is unacceptable?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
It would take longer to train someone to assist with anything useful than its worth. My other coworker is pulling half the weight. I'm not trying to do everything by myself with no support. Yeah, its not acceptable, that's why I'm complaining about it. I'm not going to look for a new job because I'm working a lot during a temporary period (a lengthy temporary period, granted) & my boss is OK with having a couple ounces of champagne on lunch on a day where I'm not in contact with customers or vendors.

Boot and Rally posted:

While I realize it is very easy to make suggestions and much harder to follow through with them, and I would not necessarily have the temerity to do this myself: it sounds like they need you something fierce, ask for crazy poo poo. Perhaps next weekend, when then transit routes are bad again, you suggest a company car. Or that a traveling petting zoo be set up outside so you can blow off stress with baby animals.
I will probably end up working maybe 1-2 weekend days from now till March, if any.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

just loving tell them you can't work this much how is this even a thing that is happening

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

ladyweapon posted:

It would take longer to train someone to assist with anything useful than its worth. My other coworker is pulling half the weight. I'm not trying to do everything by myself with no support. Yeah, its not acceptable, that's why I'm complaining about it. I'm not going to look for a new job because I'm working a lot during a temporary period (a lengthy temporary period, granted) & my boss is OK with having a couple ounces of champagne on lunch on a day where I'm not in contact with customers or vendors.

I will probably end up working maybe 1-2 weekend days from now till March, if any.

When this lady gets back from maternity, the default answer any time she has to go take care of her kid is that your workload will double. Also, when you finally get sick of it, your bosses are going to be pissed. You have solved a problem of incompetent management by being a pushover. When they finally have to deal with the problem they are going to be mad at you for making them do so, not grateful that you bought them some time to fix it, because they are doing nothing to fix it right now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ladyweapon posted:

my boss is OK with having a couple ounces of champagne on lunch on a day where I'm not in contact with customers or vendors.

I'm glad that your boss lets you drink to get through the day.

You're a chump and your employer is using you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My boss is ok with me having a couple of ounces of alcohol on the weekend because

Oh wait no I don't know if she'd be ok with it and I don't give a flying gently caress because it's the loving weekend.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

ladyweapon posted:

tell us more about how you're knowingly being taken advantage of

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I told my boss in a private meeting that I'd like my salary raised to be more in line with QA Associates in my area (I am under the impression I'm about $10k under average). He said he would discuss with his boss to see.

The answer was my salary was already the average for a QA associate so there's nothing they can do. When I search job listings online that seems clearly to not be the case unless you count game testers or something. My boss then intimated to me that he also thought this was bullshit and that if I got a cert (he said all certs for QA are bullshit but that I could get one anyway) I could get reimbursed by the company and then if I quit I could get easily rehired at a much higher salary. Sometimes I do love my boss. :3:

What's really bullshit though is what is going on with my co-worker. She's an amazing QA person (knows a million different automation platforms, knows many programming languages, a SQL wizard, methodical and patient, a career tester and not someone using the position as a springboard) and she's been in QA (at different companies) for many years. She asked to be promoted to Senior because her responsibilities are those of a senior. Her request was squashed by higher ups because she hadn't been with our company for 3 years. People in other departments have been promoted to senior after less than 3 years and people have been hired on AS seniors so it's probably just parent company budget fuckery. That made me more mad than my own lack of salary boost because she's a mother with 2 kids to feed.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You should look to make sure that the company reimbursement for certain doesn't have a required amount of time that you have to work for the company or you have to pay it back.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
The (simplified) job of a business is to pay as little as possible for inputs, including labor, to get the product they are selling to others. As such, they will use whatever means necessary to get labor costs down, including making arbitrary promotion rules and cert requirements. In order to get pay raises you'll have to either play the game inside the company and gets certs and poo poo or play the game outside the company and find another job. A small fraction of the people along the way will be cool, like your boss, because happy employees are better than not but for higher ups, the only thing you can do is exercise your market power. Business isn't a charity until you make it to the C-suite.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ladyweapon posted:

Of course it's acceptable. You've proven to them beyond any doubt that it's acceptable by acquiescing to everything they've dumped on you. If it weren't acceptable you wouldn't loving accept it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ladyweapon posted:

This is retarded bullshit, even at my job we've got 2 women out on maternity leave (one account manager and one support engineer) and before their leave even started, management had people training for a good 2-3 weeks so we wouldn't be screwed during their absences. Sounds like your managers don't have a clue how to actually manage or plan anything in advance (and won't as long as you keep on being a pushover).

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I wondered how long it would take for this thread to finally tell forums user ladyweapon that she's being taken advantage of. It has been pretty apparent for a while and now I have my answer!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
A majority of the hours I work are of my own volition & a lot of the overtime is caused by issues that literally could never have been foreseen. If, at the time, getting a temp employee made sense it would have happened. I've never not gotten what I need to do my job successfully. You guys can stop projecting about my "toxic" boss (I only have one boss, not multiple) at any time. I work three feet from the guy, I think I know how he operates pretty well. If it makes everyone feel better, I'm already planning on scaling back my hours. The steps to get that plan in action include 1) telling my boss I'm going to do it, 2) doing it. Step 1 is actually optional. Goodness.

Maybe I am actually a workaholic :shrug:

MC Hawking posted:

I wondered how long it would take for this thread to finally tell forums user ladyweapon that she's being taken advantage of. It has been pretty apparent for a while and now I have my answer!
Being fair, this isn't the "post awesome stuff about your job" thread so I keep that kind of thing to a minimum. Maybe I am being taken advantage of, but I sincerely doubt it.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 11, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Did people miss the part where ladyweapon is getting paid overtime? I wouldn't call it taking advantage of someone if you're paying them for the extra time.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

asur posted:

Did people miss the part where ladyweapon is getting paid overtime? I wouldn't call it taking advantage of someone if you're paying them for the extra time.

source your quotes

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahah I remember when one of the first things my new manager wrote to us was to threaten us with replacement with temps if the productivity didn't go up.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Peven Stan posted:

Hahahah I remember when one of the first things my new manager wrote to us was to threaten us with replacement with temps if the productivity didn't go up.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Peven Stan posted:

If you don't shape up and work harder, I'll sabotage myself by replacing you all with significantly less useful drones who actually have contracts and an agency backstopping them! :arghfist::downs:

(Eh, I guess the agency part depends on the skill set / how replaceable the temp is. I was thinking high-knowledge consultant "temps" when I wrote that.)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 11, 2015