Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Artix posted:

You'll either be like me and play for about 3 hours, decide it's not for you and move on, or you'll be playing it for about 100 hours. There doesn't seem to be much in between, and you'll know very quickly which person you are.

I finished AC4 on the PS3 last year; rebought it on sale for the PC this year; planned to test how it should have looked with my shiny new graphics card; then i lost my whole Christmas to it collecting every pointless treasure chest.

I think it's clear which kind of person i probably am. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So the Gateway 3DS updated for 9.2 firmwares. One of the extra features is an option to downgrade to 4.5 firmware where all the fun stuff is happening (CFW, region free, emunand, etc)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well my theory of 3ds XL portability being directly correlated to your weight has been proven correct. In June I was 270 pounds and wrote a 44. 3DS XL fit support comfortably in my pants. Am 208 now and just today started comfortably wearing size 36. My 3DS XL ain't going in these pockets. So I'm definitely getting a New 3DS normal size.

I can't carry my XL without a bag now, because of one word trick invented by a mom, videogamers hate her!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dehry posted:

So the Gateway 3DS updated for 9.2 firmwares. One of the extra features is an option to downgrade to 4.5 firmware where all the fun stuff is happening (CFW, region free, emunand, etc)

This feature is coming later, if I understand correctly.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Well my theory of 3ds XL portability being directly correlated to your weight has been proven correct. In June I was 270 pounds and wrote a 44. 3DS XL fit support comfortably in my pants. Am 208 now and just today started comfortably wearing size 36. My 3DS XL ain't going in these pockets. So I'm definitely getting a New 3DS normal size.

I can't carry my XL without a bag now, because of one word trick invented by a mom, videogamers hate her!

Why would anyone carry a bulky thing like a 3DSXL in their pockets? It weighs like 3/4lb.

What other stuff do you cram into your pockets instead of carrying a backpack/bag like practical people?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Are we going to have yet another pants discussion?

I keep my 3DS in my jacket pocket.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dehry posted:

Aren't Gateway the pricks who released a firmware that would kill your 3DS if you were using a knockoff through no fault of your own (now with way the hell more false positives than you'd expect from chance)?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Aren't Gateway the pricks who released a firmware that would kill your 3DS if you were using a knockoff through no fault of your own (now with way the hell more false positives than you'd expect from chance)?

Yeah they are, but they've supposedly removed the code.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kin posted:

Why would anyone carry a bulky thing like a 3DSXL in their pockets? It weighs like 3/4lb.

What other stuff do you cram into your pockets instead of carrying a backpack/bag like practical people?

My personal cell phone, my work cell phone, my keys, my wallet, my badge, my checkbook.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kin posted:

Nearly a whole lb!? Jesus christ! :monocle:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It may have been said, and I'm sorry for missing it, but does the whole ambassador program imply that the New 3DS will be commercially released relatively soon? What's been the case for other ambassador programs?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It may have been said, and I'm sorry for missing it, but does the whole ambassador program imply that the New 3DS will be commercially released relatively soon? What's been the case for other ambassador programs?
The only other ambassador program was retroactive for people that bought 3DSes before the first price drop. And yeah of course its coming out soon, it'll probably be out over here before Monster Hunter 4 comes out.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

greatn posted:

My personal cell phone, my work cell phone, my keys, my wallet, my badge, my checkbook.

I'd get a bag at that point, personally. Also congrats on losing the weight

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

Yeah, i'd say it's time you got a bag. It must be uncomfortable as gently caress trying to move around with all that stuff in there (not to mention a 3DSXL too :psyduck:), never mind when you might have to switch up to a quick sprint for some reason.

edit: Messenger bags are insanely practical and can even feel like they're not there at all if you get a good one. Stop stuffing so much poo poo into your pockets.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dehry posted:

is it just going to trick the 3ds into thinking it's on 4.5 or is it actually going to rewrite the firmware

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

"Ambassador" is a term they use pretty loosely, there's no connection between this and any of the other initiatives they've done previously.

Yes, it'll be out soon; they were clearly just waiting until after the xmas holidays to shift as much old stock as they could before announcing the n3DS. All signs point to a mid/late February release, alongside Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 11, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kin posted:

Yeah, i'd say it's time you got a bag. It must be uncomfortable as gently caress trying to move around with all that stuff in there (not to mention a 3DSXL too :psyduck:), never mind when you might have to switch up to a quick sprint for some reason.

edit: Messenger bags are insanely practical and can even feel like they're not there at all if you get a good one. Stop stuffing so much poo poo into your pockets.

In being a little facetious, most of that stuff is on my desk rather than in my pocket. In reality I have my cell phones wallet, and ds if I'm moving around. I keep most stuff with my lunch in my Pikmin tote.

I've got a bag of holding for a messenger bag, I typically only use it as my airplane carry on but it would probably be well suited for every day use.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

greatn posted:

I've got a bag of holding for a messenger bag, I typically only use it as my airplane carry on but it would probably be well suited for every day use.

The one that thinkgeek sells? I was looking at that but it seems like it would be entirely too big to carry around daily.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

PneumonicBook posted:

The one that thinkgeek sells? I was looking at that but it seems like it would be entirely too big to carry around daily.

My sister-in-law has one, I borrowed it for a trip once. It's actually a pretty good size for carrying around and I love that it has a million pockets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dehry posted:

Or just wait till February when the card from the people who made the supercard dstwo drops. Based on their track record alone i bet it will be better

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Or just wait till February when the card from the people who made the supercard dstwo drops. Based on their track record alone i bet it will be better

I will go on record right now to say it will not.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

noirstronaut posted:

Does your uncle work at Supercard?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Supercard DSTwo owned, it was one hell of a card. I'd be willing to make that bet too.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

is it just going to trick the 3ds into thinking it's on 4.5 or is it actually going to rewrite the firmware

It actually rewrites the firmware from the Neogaf and 4chan threads I'm seeing on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

Not exactly like gateway set the bar super high

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Dehry posted:

It actually rewrites the firmware from the Neogaf and 4chan threads I'm seeing on it.

that's pretty cool

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More news about XSEED

quote:

There likely will be more games in 2015 than the ones we're teasing. This probably isn't our entire year's lineup. I think the extra question marks represent the possibility of other 2015 titles down the line. Hatsuu's tweet is more to keep you guys from killing yourselves trying to find meaning in background patterns that are literally just background patterns.

In other words, our tease is only for 4 games, not 8. But that doesn't mean there aren't going to be 8... or 12... or 16... or 20... or 2... or -7.33 repeating.

;)

-Tom

...Also, as a general aside, please note that the silhouettes on our New Year's card are more representative of the characters depicted on them than they are of any specific games. Not that it'll necessarily make a difference in most cases, but just FYI!

-Tom

So we're kind of back to square one

BUT, that means there's still hope for Deep Crimson!!! :neckbeard:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Hey cool, I just recently decided to play Minish Cap only to realize what fuckers Nintendo are about the Ambassador program.

Why won't you sell me your games, you assholes? :negative:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Probably because the GBA emulator on the 3DS was held together with a hope, a dream, and the goodwill of Mario.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

TARDISman posted:

Probably because the GBA emulator on the 3DS was held together with a hope, a dream, and the goodwill of Mario.

Or rather that it's just them using legacy GBA hardware that's still present in the 3DS' design. No emulation, just using janky old hardware to cobble together some GBA games.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Or rather that it's just them using legacy GBA hardware that's still present in the 3DS' design. No emulation, just using janky old hardware to cobble together some GBA games.

I'm about 90% sure this is backwards. That the 3DS doesn't have any GBA-ready hardware in it and it's almost purely emulation for each specific title.

e: Or I guess I misread the post. Anyway, I think the 3DS is using what's present for the DS to downclock it to play GBA games (which is essentially why you can't do anything aside from play GBA games while on a 3DS) but it's more or less utilizing what made the DS something that could play GBA games as opposed to anything from the GBA.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also they decided to sell you GBA games on the Wii U instead.

You can get Super Mario World on the Wii U VC, and you can also get the GBA version of Super Mario World on the Wii U VC. It makes pretty much no sense, it seems obvious they wanted to get them on the 3DS and for whatever reason it just didn't work.

I mention this a lot but I have a Dingoo A320 my wife got me which does GBA emulation flawlessly, I have an actual GBMicro and I prefer the Dingoo. SNES emulation can be spotty, and Genesis emulation is pretty rough. But for me the GBA side of things was worth it. These days I imagine a phone can probably do the job better though

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
It's the same reason there's no gamecube compatibility on the Wii U. Despite it being theoretically possible (booting into Wii mode) it doesn't operate the way Nintendo wants that functionality to be available so they just cut it. It's bullshit but there's not a lot anyone can do about it without homebrew. NCL sure as poo poo ain't listen'.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Ambassador" is a term they use pretty loosely, there's no connection between this and any of the other initiatives they've done previously.

Yes, it'll be out soon; they were clearly just waiting until after the xmas holidays to shift as much old stock as they could before announcing the n3DS. All signs point to a mid/late February release, alongside Majora's Mask 3D and Monster Hunter 4.

Awesome. Majora's Mask was the bundle I got with my N64 plus Smash. Seems I'll be doing the same thing with the 3DS. I wonder if they've got a Master's Quest type of thing going on for MM.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Can someone tell me why the N3DS is going to be superior and I should hold onto this cash until then?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Can someone tell me why the N3DS is going to be superior and I should hold onto this cash until then?
Its more powerful. System menu is smoother, downloads are faster, some games will perform better and some will be exclusive to the N3DS. Also it has 2 more buttons and an extra stick for CPP compatible games.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Smash Bros. doesn't take a straight minute to load and 3D becomes relevant because it actually functions. Downloads are also way loving faster and you'll eventually be able to play Xenoblade I guess.

So if these things don't matter to you don't bother and just grab the regular one. If you intend to download a lot of your games I'd recommend it though, having downloaded things with both it's loving mind boggling that they limited the regular one's speed so much.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

majormonotone posted:

My sister-in-law has one, I borrowed it for a trip once. It's actually a pretty good size for carrying around and I love that it has a million pockets.

I just looked it up and it seems pretty cool, but not available in the UK without paying ridiculous import fees that are about the same cost as the bag itself

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

Its more powerful. System menu is smoother, downloads are faster, some games will perform better and some will be exclusive to the N3DS. Also it has 2 more buttons and an extra stick for CPP compatible games.

You're also not stuck fiddling to find the 3D sweet spot. There's a head-tracking camera that's really good at refocusing it at the correct angle. I had to wave it aroundto get it lose me, and it refocused the moment I let it settle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does anyone recognise the menu music for the Game & Watch theme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFi67ROe3s8

I initially thought it might be a remix of one of the Game & Watch Gallery title screens, but it might be an original composition.

• Locked thread