Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Speedball posted:

I want the next game to be full of wild iconoclasts for party members.

Salarian psycho with a thing for knives as your party rogue. Turian assassin who likes to kill non-dextros by spitting in their drinks. Big krogan who just loves Earth puppies and kitties (and thinks that what happened to them is the future for a prosperous krogan species: retain your ferociousness but be thought of as loveable so other species help you thrive instead of hunting you to extinction). Robot obsessed with gaming who thinks reality is one big game, and therefore is meta-aware that he's leveling up every time you complete a mission. Biotic elcor bartender who uses mass effect fields to mix drinks on a molecular scale nobody else can. Volus in krogan-sized power armor who likes to step on people. Over-the-hill Asari who fondly remembers the day she once traveled to some primitive planet and fought a bunch of vikings. Former CEO lady who lost her entire company and had to resort to becoming a pirate in Omega to make ends meet.

Their leader? A guy in cardboard N7 armor. That's right. Conrad Verner III.

Pretty sure if Community ever riffed Mass Effect it'd basically be this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, yeah, and Femshep version would be Connie Verner, of course. Probably no less ridiculous, like, with holes in the back of her helmet for her pigtails to stick out of or something.

"...that defeats the point of having a helmet, you rear end!"

"Ah, helmets are just cosmetic. I knew this one person who just wore a small mouth-mask in a vacuum and was fine!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Just have a plume of rapidly condensing air shooting out of the pigtail holes (because there's going to be two, of course) constantly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Looking at a video of someone else playing Mass Effect 2, since he did a completionist run of Mass Effect 1, when Shepard is reunited with Tali he mentions he did her personal sidequest back in ME1 and she's a lot more trusting of Shep than in my run. I had no idea they kept track of THAT too. Jesus.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Speedball posted:

Looking at a video of someone else playing Mass Effect 2, since he did a completionist run of Mass Effect 1, when Shepard is reunited with Tali he mentions he did her personal sidequest back in ME1 and she's a lot more trusting of Shep than in my run. I had no idea they kept track of THAT too. Jesus.

ME3 has a scene with such a ridiculous interaction between two ME1 sidequests that it loops back around to being brilliant.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The look on Shepard's face when he mentions that he has a doctorate and did his dissertation on dark energy is priceless.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

They might as rename that quest to: "Oh, that...Oh, that!...Wait, that??...you??"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I just transferred my first Femshep over to ME3 and who the gently caress is this pretty girl?!?! Where's my stern-faced, "seen all the poo poo" Amazon? Not to mention I maxed out my Renegade meter in ME2 and she was loving haggard, yet here she's all prettied up. WHERE ARE MY SCARS BIOWARE :argh:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Bioware's greatest crime in ME3 will not be the ending, not the change to the Geth, but that terrible, terrible dress.

The worst thing is dudeshep had the way cooler leather jacket that occupied the same slot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tirranek posted:

They might as rename that quest to: "Oh, that...Oh, that!...Wait, that??...you??"
Which one was that again?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Conrad Verner's quest. It was basically a joke sequence to use up the unused imported choices from ME1 (Matriarch Writings, saving Jenna, buying a specific licence, etc.)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Veotax posted:

Conrad Verner's quest. It was basically a joke sequence to use up the unused imported choices from ME1 (Matriarch Writings, saving Jenna, buying a specific licence, etc.)

I wish I saw it.

What's the name of the importer thing from ME to ME2?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Aces High posted:

I just transferred my first Femshep over to ME3 and who the gently caress is this pretty girl?!?! Where's my stern-faced, "seen all the poo poo" Amazon? Not to mention I maxed out my Renegade meter in ME2 and she was loving haggard, yet here she's all prettied up. WHERE ARE MY SCARS BIOWARE :argh:
Don't worry, they come back if you continue to be an rear end in a top hat!

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 has a scene with such a ridiculous interaction between two ME1 sidequests that it loops back around to being brilliant.
What scene?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Conrad Verner is a sidequest you can complete in ME1 where he's basically a giant fanboy, and his dialogue suggests his wife just tolerates his hobby of buying Shepard-based stuff to keep him out of the house. You can give him your signature and take a photo with him and a few other weird interactions, and if you don't crush his dreams he'll show up in later games (though the import was bugged in ME2 and always thought you did the harsh final response.) In ME2 he shows up in cosplay N7 armor acting like a hardass trying to be an investigator on Illium (he annoys Aethyta trying to do a drug bust for legal red sand) and talks about how he spends time rooting through crates for credits. I think this is where it's implied his wife divorced him.

Jenna is a girl working "undercover" in Chora's den for an unscrupulous C-Sec officer putting her in danger for his investigation. Her sister asks you to save her, and I think you can either get the information the officer needs or try to convince Jenna to quit on her own.

In ME3 someone tries to assassinate you in the refugee ward. Conrad throws himself in front of you to save you, while Jenna will disable the assassin's gun with Sabotage. If you did both quests, Conrad looks like a goof ("Did I help, Shepard? Strange, it doesn't hurt.") and Jenna is impressed with his bravery and they'll head off for a date or something.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
You could've just said Conrad Verner :haw:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Before ME3 was released, SF Debris used manipulative editing to make it look like Conrad Verner was the guy rescuing you from the reaper attacks in ME3.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DarkHorse posted:

In ME3 someone tries to assassinate you in the refugee ward. Conrad throws himself in front of you to save you, while Jenna will disable the assassin's gun with Sabotage. If you did both quests, Conrad looks like a goof ("Did I help, Shepard? Strange, it doesn't hurt.") and Jenna is impressed with his bravery and they'll head off for a date or something.

Here's the first conversation with Conrad, which is five minutes of pure fanservice: http://youtu.be/TTrVep8z4GM

and here's what DarkHorse is talking about (which happens 90 seconds later after you un-sabotage the dispensers): http://youtu.be/Racsn8omKg8

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

goddamn so once I started playing ME3 again I didn't even notice that I was playing on Insanity because Unstable Warp + Dark Channel = Everything Infected Blows the gently caress Up :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does Origin care if I use Gibbed's editor?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Does Origin care if I use Gibbed's editor?

Nope.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It yells at you that your saves are out of sync but you can tell it that your locals are the master copies and it will gladly upload them to the server.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man I forgot how poorly-made the side missions were in Mass Effect 1. These aren't dungeons, they're instanced shooting galleries. Bad ones.

And everything on the Citadel is way too spread-out. I appreciate the more focused hub level design they used in ME2.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought the design of ME2's Citadel, stack of three rectangles, was too dull, though. I thought ME3 found a decent enough middle ground.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lycus posted:

I thought the design of ME2's Citadel, stack of three rectangles, was too dull, though. I thought ME3 found a decent enough middle ground.

True, though Illium and Omega were a bit better about it.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
Honestly ME1's Citadel is my favorite. To me it felt the most like a place people might actually live and work

ME2 felt like a shopping mall, and ME3 just felt kindof disconnected. Illium/Omega were both pretty cool, though.

Illium was a small place compared but what was there had good flavor and style. It also kindof had a feeling of a city, to me.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

The worst thing is dudeshep had the way cooler leather jacket that occupied the same slot.

Yeah I wanted femshep to get casual clothes like Alyx Vance in HL2, kind of a futuristic short jacket+pants outfit. You just know a guy was working on the clothing designs.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Speedball posted:

Man I forgot how poorly-made the side missions were in Mass Effect 1. These aren't dungeons, they're instanced shooting galleries. Bad ones.

And everything on the Citadel is way too spread-out. I appreciate the more focused hub level design they used in ME2.

I loved how spread out the Citadel was in ME1, with the bridges crossing the river. A game hub should not just be designed for player convenience, like a cluster of glorified ATMs for the player to hit up and restock in 2 minutes then be on their way. It looks like that's what people want these days though.

It seems there's a lack of appreciation for the enjoyment that comes from simply being in the Citadel. There's no rush to get back to the gameplay because walking around the Citadel was fun adventure gameplay for me, I liked taking the elevators everywhere even. It was like a futuristic citizen simulator.

I hope they make the Citadel in ME4 friggin gigantic with shuttle cars to drive around too. And mandatory elevator trips for good measure.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think that's the reason people weren't rushing back to the gameplay in ME.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My main complaint with the ME1 citadel is that you couldn't fast travel to your ship, or even fast travel to immediately outside your ship, you had to fast travel to the C-Sec headquarters, then ride a loading screen up to your ship, followed by another loading screen to get into your ship.

My other minor complaint are the otherwise identical interstitial hallways between areas when you know there's a quest npc in there but you can't remember which one and there's no easy way to get to them to check

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Is Vanguard the only other gameplay-interesting class besides Adept? Engineer is just a crappy adept, soldier and infiltrator both ask you to shoot the same gun for 120 hours. The last one is just a combo of adept and engineer that ends up weaker than either?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the one place on the ME1 citadel I hate is that wards access hallway. A keeper, the Spacer background quest, and maybe one other objective. Elevator in, elevator out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think the one place on the ME1 citadel I hate is that wards access hallway. A keeper, the Spacer background quest, and maybe one other objective. Elevator in, elevator out.

One of the interact-points for the rogue AI that's stealing credits from the night-club-that-isn't-Chora's-Den quest is in there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

Is Vanguard the only other gameplay-interesting class besides Adept? Engineer is just a crappy adept, soldier and infiltrator both ask you to shoot the same gun for 120 hours. The last one is just a combo of adept and engineer that ends up weaker than either?

The Vanguard probably has the most transformative effect on gameplay, but all of the classes are good, they just have different focuses.

Soldier lets you play with the more exotic forms of weaponry, or if you prefer to focus on powers, Concussive shot has a rank 6 evolution that will inherit the effect of your current ammo power, which will let you set up and detonate both tech and fire explosions.
Infiltrator is all about cloak, a properly specced infiltrator can take out heavy targets, say a Banshee, ridiculously quick, where as a vanguard would have to charge nova dance for a while to avoid getting sync killed.

The Adept, Engineer, and Sentinel are all about combos, it's just that Adept has the most visually impressive effects. Engineer is a workhorse class, you can strip defenses and set up and detonate both tech and fire explosions, as well as deploying lots of drones to the field to drive enemies out of cover or away from your flank. Adept can only set up biotic explosions but is the best at detonating things since Warp's rank 5 upgrade is the only combo ability that increases the damage of non-biotic explosions. Sentinel can use it's powers less often than an adept or engineer, but they hit harder when they do it, and the sentinel is much more durable.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Vanguard it is then.

I just did the trilogy with an adept on insanity, I appreciate the effortpost you made but the games are really not hard enough to worry about killing power and combos. Visual/gameplay flair is what's important here.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Then Novadance on everyone's heads with my blessing.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Zigmidge posted:

Vanguard it is then.

I just did the trilogy with an adept on insanity, I appreciate the effortpost you made but the games are really not hard enough to worry about killing power and combos. Visual/gameplay flair is what's important here.

Adept trivializes ME1 no matter what, is probably best balanced in 2, and combat is straight up easy in 3 for everyone.

Adept 4 lyfe tho

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, there's a reason why they made it so you can't physics people with shields/armor in 2 and 3. Though I will miss casting Singularity in an office building and watching the entire room get turned into deadly physics projectiles

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

In my opinion though, the solution for that should have been MORE BADGUYS, not forcing me to shoot my gun! :black101:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-reviews/mass-effect-rev-8-nobody-gets-out-alive-5590931

I love this. He gets almost everyone killed and if not for the DLC characters I think he'd have triggered the Bad End where everybody dies. Nine out of twelve party members, dead. (Plus Kelly Chambers as he clearly did not go through the Omega-4 relay as soon as he could). "So, that just leaves Tali, Mordin and Legion to guard our backs. Good luck, Engineers!" And later mentions "Meanwhile, my army of nerds is having trouble..."

Then he switches things back up and makes it so everybody lives, even summing up that that is the point of the narrative: what makes Commander Shepard awesome is your ability to make the right kinds of command decisions rather than personal combat ability. (At least in ME2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I finally re-installed this after regretting some of my choices enough to replay ME2. What are the non-free DLC's worth getting?

I can't believe they still use the stupid Bioware Points system. I'll bet it made the DLC immune to holiday discount, right?

• Locked thread