Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar the Second starts her career stealing everything not nailed down in the Candlekeep Inn. This immediatly brings on an armed guard that some mod must have added into:

He tells me I've been a bad girl. Maybe the low charisma isn't being counted?

Surprise sex?

He wants me to undress?

Guess he didn't like what he saw.

While checking out the bookcase in the kitchen and finding some good scrolls I was SURE no one could see me. I was wrong.

Well the last guard ran away when I threatened him, this will surly work again!

Thus ends Comstar the Second quest and her life ends here. Killed by Candlekeep guards for the crime of stealing 2 magic scrolls from a kitchen. I spent more time rerolling the character stats than playing her!

Being an overmuscled freak made me too reckless. Time for a Mage/Thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Good roll, and this one only took 10 minutes.

Comstar the Third the elven Chaotic Good Mage/Thief. Lets hope she lasts longer than Comstar the second. Core rules.

Did Candlekeep (no gibbing this time) and buried Gorian with Imoaen's help.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 10, 2015

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

The Further Adventures of Perra N'Oya and her Merry Troupe of Clones!

Picking up where we left off, I immediately make sure to murder Dorn, Khalid and Jaheira for their loot. Potions of invisibility are handy for thieves, and Dorn's sword is worth more than a few bob at the local pawnshop. Bentley, amoral sod that he is, doesn't call any of the guards he employs, nor does he have any trouble in buying arms and armor still drenched in blood. A man after me own 'eart!

I pick up Joia's quest before I leave the FAI, and head north. By now I might as well make it a part of my "victory" condition to kill all joinable NPCs, so Ajantis is next. One command, and he's as dead as a doornail.

Silke is commanded to lie down for a spell, and is swiftly pummeled into a fine, red paste. I notice that I lost one of my swords, so Garrick the Accomplice is found guilty as an accessory to theft and as a conspirator to commit murder, and is sentenced to immediate death by clone.

Since I forgot to include a shot of my inventory last time, here's what I carry up until I leave Beregost. I use some of my ill-gotten loot to buy myself a +1 shortsword, and a spare regular one in case it should break. It does, on the very next wilderness area. drat this iron plague! Also, guess which quest I forgot, based on my equipment?

The ogrillons south of Beregost are dispatched, but not without using up all of my prepared commands. Free platema- wait, who are your friends? No officer, we're law-abiding adventurers, seeking fame, glory and profit! All of our murders have been legally sanctioned! If I hadn't used all my commands, they'd all be dead by now.

I pick up the boots of stealth, but on my way back I'm ambushed by a ghoul, and he manages to kill Beyton. Sigh, better hoof it to the temple of Lathander, I guess.

Hey Kivan! Goodbye Kivan!

I forgot to grab any screens in NashvilleNashkel, but this is where I learned that Amnish soldiers take their law n' order a mite more seriously than the Flaming Fist does. Getting rid of the assassin in the inn was no problem, but they took exception to my bumping off Rasaad in broad daylight, so I had to scamper off to the carnival, and hope the law cools down before I return.

Zordral does not appreciate being called a bozo, and totally flips his switch and tries to kill us. Worryingly, he resists all but one attempts to command him, and he manages to get off a horror spell. Thankfully, most of the Troupe manages to resist his spell, but Deltin bites the dust after an acid arrow. drat it all, whilst the nearest temple is but a hop, skip and a jump away, I'll have to bugger off all the way back to Beregost to raise that clone!

Clone fatalities so far:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 1
  4. 1
  5. -

NPCs killed for sport and/or pleasure: Imoen, Xzar, Montaron, Khalid, Jaheira, Dorn, Ajantis, Garrick, Kivan, Rasaad.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

One Jojo passes, and another begins

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Spoiler Alert: Attempt Fails!

The party left the carnival in order to complete some sidequests whilst waiting for the fuzz in Nashkel to chill out. Joia got her ring, the Beregost Bug House was cleansed, Firebead got his book and Prism was allowed to be melodramatic on Greywolf's corpse. I also took the time to de-stone and kill Branwen, and murder Kagain to recoup the losses for raising Geamon after he died in a random encounter. With all that done, I returned to Nashkel, had a nice talk with Noober, and all the clones leveled up. I was a big baby, and set the difficulty to normal for max HP, because I can't stand the idea of clones not being identical. For the same reason, the ankheg plate was sold off. By this time I'd also ported the MP save over to the regular SP experience. Anyway, off to the mines!

Y'know what, no. I hate the goddamn mines, and I'd rather take my chances with the back entrance. To the east!

... well poo poo.

That fight was actually going swimmingly. I'd successfully stealthed and lobbed a fireball from the necklace o' missiles at the Evil Mercenary Girls, which killed two of them straight away. I quaffed an invisibility potion, and lobbed another fireball. This is where one of them managed to poison me - which I didn't notice until it was too late. I lob the last fireball, the remainder of the girls die, and so did I. Yet another stupid death.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Almost assuredly a stupid question, but Jabor... how do you make the absolute current/max HP values show up on character portraits? Is that a mod or an option that I missed last time I played?

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm gonna be honest, half this post is going to be about my love of skeletons. Sgt. Scapula was summoned with his pal, Private uh... Pelvis?

When in doubt, use more skeleton. I look forward to when you are higher level and Sgt Scapula and Pvt. Pelvis are joined by Cpl. Clavicle, led gloriously into battle by Lt. Lumbar.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Hopefully this attempt goes better than my previous ones. I'm playing unmodded BG:EE on core rules.

Just killed the 2 Ogrillons south of Beregost and hit level 2 with a party of Brakh, Ajantis, and Imoen. Brakh only got 2 hp :negative:

divx fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 10, 2015

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

For today, now that Viconia rounded my party out to a solid 6 members I decided to clear out the maps I only did partially, do the fights I avoided in my last update and get over to Nashkel.

So I started off by clearing High Hedge and picked up Perdue's sword from a Gnoll along the way. Making sure to kite all the bears to death because they are just to nice a chunk of XP to pass on. Then moving on north to Lion's Way I cleared that place out, and had my most unexpected party member death. A Direwolf just bee-lined straight past my 3 front liners for Kivan and murdered him in one hit. I never even moved Kivan. I figured it'd never even arrive. And if it did, Kivan could take the hit. I was very wrong.

So I got Kivan back on his feet at the Song of the Morning Temple and then cleaned out the remains of the Coast Way. Back to Beregost for the remains of the sidequests there.

Important Sidequests like murdering Silke and Karlat.

Besides those I got Purdue his sword back, had a chat with Bjornin and Gurke. Oh and burgled basically the whole town including Algernons cloak.

Which somewhere between my mods seems to have been nerfed. No clue by what mod though

And made my way south to Nashkel. By the time I got there the whole party had gone up a level. I think i'll save everyone from having to look at my hp rolls unless they are decidedly amazing, or terrible. None were either of those however.

In the carnival I hit the usual suspects. In Nashkel proper I picked up that wonderful free bit of Ankheg plate, which seems tailor made for Viconia. Murdered the assassin waiting in the tavern there, burgled the mansion.

Oh and ditched Khalid and Jaheira for Minsc. I hate Edwins voice so Dynaheir will be my arcane caster of choice, at least for BG1.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Who is this charming gentleman? Why it's Blinston Blighter the Blurd, mighty Priest of Talos! His stats are a little crummier, but hopefully he's a little wiser.

Thanks, you're doing the talking for us, Imoen.

A wolf draws near! Command?

And holy fucksticks, that wolf nearly got us. Or Imoen anyway. Blinston has learned to use his friends as decoys. Speaking of, Xzar and Monty do join up with Imoen to put the charm on.

Alright, round 2, Tarnesh. Blinston is going to be overly cautious and Sanctuary himself while Imoen draws him out.

In hindsight I should have sent Xzar since I need him less than Imoen, but eh, she saved. Tarnesh manages to aggro two guards and it still takes forever for them to drop him, but they drop him.

You said it, Imoen. To the Friendly Arm!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Taking it nice and easy with a halfling Cleric of Helm.

Here's what I've done:

1.) Reached level 4 without dying (yay!)
2.) Rescued Dynaheir
3.) Cleared the Nashkel Mines
4.) Had this happen when casting armor FROM A SCROLL; jesus christ you've gotta be insane playing a wild mage.

So far, so good though. Gonna go to High Hedge, pick up Kivan, and take on the Bandit Camp.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
A question about Ironman, can we reload saves if we're not attacked or if no one dies or do we have to accept Chicken Randomness?

Just curious if I can actually cure Meli or not. I have a spare save back there just in case it's allowed.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Jenner posted:

A question about Ironman, can we reload saves if we're not attacked or if no one dies or do we have to accept Chicken Randomness?

Just curious if I can actually cure Meli or not. I have a spare save back there just in case it's allowed.

You reload a save from before only if horrible bugs ruin yours or something like that. To stick to the spirit of an ironman run you'll have to live with your given melicamp results.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012

FairGame posted:

jesus christ you've gotta be insane playing a wild mage.

What does that say about me?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Tzarnal posted:

You reload a save from before only if horrible bugs ruin yours or something like that. To stick to the spirit of an ironman run you'll have to live with your given melicamp results.

RIP Melicamp then.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Melincamp has had extremely poor luck this thread. So far there has only been one survivor that I've seen.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Cruithne's survived. Then I went off the map to the left, met the siren, and run ended there because I forgot she kills the one who initiates dialogue.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I've never had Melicamp survive without savescumming. Supposedly it's a 50% chance, but it really seems he's more likely to die, though that could only be confirmation bias.

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.
Cap the avenger has survived to level 4.

I start this session off by engaging Nimbul. My preparations with the shield amulet turns out to be unnecessary, as the guard patrol happens to be wandering by.
I'm a little disappointed to lose out on the xp, but a kill is a kill.

This run has been rather lucky with regards to bandit ambushes: this is the first, and I'm able to escape without losing anyone.

I go a mop up a few minor encounters. Belt ogre is a little easier when he can't move.

I assist Neera, and send her on her way. Then I decide to help melicamp for a quick infusion of xp. Can I succeed where others have failed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

No, I cannot.

I take down Silke. A potion of absorption really takes away a lot of the danger.

After that I wander for a while. Khalid takes the time to tell me of how Gorion was a founding member of the sword coast bear patrol. I'm sure I'm making him proud.

I take out a few of the easier encounters. I see I have a stack of +1 arrows from various sources and decide it's time to take out the vampiric wolves in the temple area.

This nets me another FANTASTIC level.

Cap's current stats. I'm hoping i can break 40 hp by the level cap! Assuming I don't die first, I suppose.

Next time: back to the main plot.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I've found so far that having your mages and support characters flee in terror whenever a melee guy even thinks about attacking them makes this game much more survivable. The AI really has a preference to engage melee guys and will quickly abandon the chase and go right back to your tanks. Pause is OP.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Lady the Archer has arrived in Athkatla!

Oh god, Baldur's Gate 2. I haven't played this in years. I bought the EE last year but never got around to playing it. This'll be almost like a blind run.

The game cruelly does not offer any bows among the starting weapons, and I had to scavenge one from a goblin's corpse.

Yes, Imoen, Khalid was already dead. You were there, you saw him get mangled by hobgoblins!

Anyway, I got out of the starting dungeon and promptly booted Yoshimo and Minsc to the curb. This party is for ladies only.

Nalia was the first new addition to Team Ladies.

Oh hello, new Enhanced Edition content!

Aw man, she's evil. Oh well, I'll take her. I need a proper thief, and Nalia doesn't cut it. A creepy, evil, and possibly brain-damaged thief is better than none.

Welp, I got one evil character, no harm in taking another.

We went to the circus, but it turned out to be a trap! Aerie joined up, filling in the last party slot nicely.

We didn't have any magic weapons to harm the shadows, so everyone focused their attacks on Kalah. He went down and no one got hurt. Well, no one but Kalah. And those innocent people he killed. No one important got hurt anyway.

Next step is probably going to the tombs for Hexxat. She's already threatening to leave the party, but I'm wary of exploring new and unknown content for an ironman run. I'll want to get Mazzy at some point, but don't know yet who I'll kick out for her. Probably Viconia.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JustJeff88 posted:

Almost assuredly a stupid question, but Jabor... how do you make the absolute current/max HP values show up on character portraits? Is that a mod or an option that I missed last time I played?

It's an EE feature they (afaik) introduced in the latest patch. There's no in-game option for it, and it's enabled by default, though you can do some .ini twizzling to disable it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Lady the Archer is dead!

Killed by Dragomir the Red during Hexxat's dumb loving quest.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Ugh, I was afraid the EE quests would end your run, Mountaineer. Farewell, Lady. Are you going to keep playing on that save for a bit on the side to learn all the EE stuff?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The further adventures of Blinston Blighter the Blurd the Priest of Talos

Tee hee, Blinston Blighter the Blurd.

A bit of running around to get whatsherface's ring from the hobgoblins. With the lightning deaths in this thread, the rain admittedly made me paranoid. So Blinston will pledge allegiance to Talos by SMITING one heretic a day (here, the lucky hobgoblin). I predict that this will hold the wrath of Talos at bay or it won't.

To Beregost, where I forget which inn the assassin is hanging around in. I bump into Marl instead, who takes umbrage to my just wanting to leave and ends up getting gibbed. Dumb Marl.

Ah Firebead, my old friend. You're fortunate that Blinston is a slightly different kind of psycho than Jorgo was. Carry on.

Then I wander into a house and...oh CRAP

I have no method to cure poison. The only thing that remotely saves my rear end is that the unlucky few of my group and the spiders form a log jam at the door. I'm able to get Blinston, Imoen and Jaheira out. Sorry other dudes, I think you're hosed. Especially you, Xzar.

SMITE! Monty dies. Xzar gets hit, somehow props himself alive with his pair of Drain spells. Khalid gets poisoned, gets propped up by Jaheira healing.

Xzar props himself some more, and amazingly the only casualty of that clusterfuck was Monty. Well, no big loss. Let's...let's just hold off here though.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Ugh, I was afraid the EE quests would end your run, Mountaineer. Farewell, Lady. Are you going to keep playing on that save for a bit on the side to learn all the EE stuff?

No, if I do that it'll be with a different character. Archer isn't fun to play in BG2 anyway. I actually kind of like BG1 better, and I already have a fun idea for a new playthrough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Taking a break from playing to give you an update on the life and times of Talindra the Elven Swashbuckler. I've had a rough busy few days, so this is actually a few play sessions progress put together.

So the first thing I did was go to Beregost and kill Tranzig. Both for information on the Bandit Camp, and for revenge for Branwen. He went down like a chump and I showed him no mercy as he begged for his life.

Then I did what I usually do, aka clear up everything south of the Bandit Camp for XP and loot before invading. Despite doing a lot to clear my reputation (now 20!) I still had plenty to explore and take care of.

Including the most wonderful magically influenced crazy people in the entire trilogy. BLOOD WILL OUT!!!!

After that it was time for sirines. gently caress sirines. I hate them to rear end and hell and everything in between.

The worst thing about the two groups on the way to the flesh golem cave is that they have other stuff stuck in with them. The first group has a set of Hobgoblin Elite who are all too happy to poison your held characters; the second group has a carrion crawler spawn nearby that is way too easy to wander into. In the above shot, Edwin had controlled the sirines with Stinking Cloud and I still almost lost Dorn to a crawler.

But I made it to the cave safely. Remembering what everyone said, I sent Talindra in alone to find the traps. She also lured the flesh golems out to have everyone else murder them outside. I don't actually use stealth at all in BG and I should really start, you all are making it seem really helpful. Talindra read the book and no longer suffers from the weaknesses of elven flesh.

One cool thing about this party is that I generally don't use many of these characters. I usually play good and don't even take Edwin, so I'm seeing a lot of new banter and stuff. Like this random fight for dominance Shar-Teel challenged Dorn to outside of Ulcaster: Both of them went uncontrollable and actually started fighting.

Dorn won by virtue of just having the better gear. Thanks Shar-Teel for making me rest for 16 hours AGAIN. At least it wasn't to the death, I was worried that it would be.

Inside Ulcaster I was an idiot and walked into the fireball room. My heart jumped when I realized what I'd done - I almost died in one shot! Eek! Edwin ate it. :smith:

I've seen Viconia saying this respect thing before but never Shar-Teel's response. She really just lives by the sword. Go Ms. Misandry!

I kept clearing out the eastern side of the world map. This fight with a couple assassins went super weird. Stinking Cloud and Fireball them from off-screen and then when I close to arrow range the dialogue trigger goes off. So Ioin there stands up from prone and starts bragging about how he's going to kill me, I tell him to gently caress off, and then he takes 2 steps and falls over again.

I have never actually had this guy say I saved his cow. He just doesn't like me or something.

gently caress basilisk random encounters. Luckily I'd been taking notes from you all so I kept a few Potions of Mirrored Eyes on me. Talindra chugged one and we charged the basilisk. Dorn got stoned immediately, but we took it out. Talindra ALSO had scrolls for just this occasion so I got Dorn back.

I protected Dorn from petrification and threw him at all the basilisks in AR3500 or whatever it is so he could have some revenge. Viconia just hit level 5, so she added a skeleton buddy to the cause. Easy, good xp at this point.

Not shown is clearing out Firewine. I took everyone's advice and just went through Gullykin to kill the ogre mage and the other mage nearby. It was STILL a loving mess with the ogre mage + human mage + ogrillions + kobold commanders in there. Glad I skipped it.

And then I headed up to Peldvale and Larswood and made 5k in bandit scalps for Officer Vai. If she's cut off from her superiors in Baldur's Gate, how does she have that much money?

I restocked at High Hedge and Thunderhammer, and now it's time for the camp proper! This is always fun in the "giant huge loving mess" way that a lot of Infinity Engine fights are.

I don't have anything left except for Durlag's Tower south of the FAI, so the next few play sessions will be pretty linear. Bandit Camp, the Cloakwood, and then the last few wilderness areas south of Baldur's Gate before I head into the city proper. I'm a little worried about the fight with Simmeon at the gates; that could probably get pretty nasty. Oh, and for the record Talindra is now level 6. Not sure what I'll do if I hit level 10 before the end of BG.

Addendum:

For some reason there is STILL a group of guards that hates me in Beregost. I'm reputation 20! I'm better than you! gently caress off!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 11, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So, is an Elven fighter/mage/thief even survivable in BG1? Is there any armor you can cast/thief in either game?

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sure its possible, and it's a great class for solo runs. In a normal game you might feel your MC is a bit weak since it takes so much XP to level up even once compared to the rest of the party. That problem disappears in BG2, though.

There are a few armors that you can cast and thief in in BG2, but for BG1 your best bet will be AC bracers or a Robe of the [your-alignment] Archmagi which is the equivalent of chainmail AC.

Edit: It just occurred to me that "either game" meant original BG and BGEE. Haha, sorry!

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 11, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You can also edit in spell casting and thieving in armour in BG2Tweaks.

Alternatively if you're playing EE, there's elven chain mail you can get from Dorn's quest in Chapter 5.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Did a reinstall after Dunworthy's less-than-stunning performance, so I could actually be sure of what mods I had. (Notable ones aside from fixpacks and such are Ascension, SCS, Rogue Rebalancing, Item Randomizer, and, possibly against my better judgement, the one that adds a bunch of NPC dialogue to BG1, though I was careful to tell it NO ROMANCES. Let's hope it listened.) I did switch on the thing that moves joinable NPCs around, and made Khalid a fighter-mage, but did not enable Max HP, so no actual demerits, I hope!

As for my next attempt, I'm sure it's been done before, but who cares?

Meet HULK

HULK SMASH STABBY MAN

HULK SMASH OTHER STABBY MAN

HULK SMASH BIG BAD WOLF

HULK STRONGEST ONE THERE IS

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I can't see how HULK can lose. You seem to have this one locked down.

Oldman and company are cruising along. Baldur's Gate (the city) is just a buncha busy work so here's the short version:

Sgt. Scapula continued to be invaluable. In addition to the basilisk he also distracted the bad guy adventuring party in the Cloak and Helm (even managed to keep the Merry Fools alive through it), ate all the spells the creepy necromancers above the Sorcerous Sundries store, and uh... well, I guess that's it.

Yoink! First wisdom tome get. I made sure to call in Tenya's favor in first so I wouldn't have to come back here after pulling this mean trick.

I'm kinda sad that Foolio didn't make it. A Foolio I made for a previous thread went all the way to BG2, but I guess the luck didn't rub off.

Nothing special happened here, I just love this line.

Anyway, I made my first abuse of the Monster Summoning Wand for the Iron Throne tower. Sgt Scapula is willing, but he wouldn't last long against the party up top and they ambush you the moment you get there. Such an annoying fight to try and do on the fly, so I had Imoen invis herself, walk upstairs and around a corner, and plop down like five different groups of monsters for them to blow all their spells on. Eventually is was safe for the rest of the party to follow up and clean house.

Candlekeep was a lot easier. I skipped killing Reiltar because Oldman is a good little boy and didn't want to disappoint Tethoril. Or Ulruant. I forget which one is the nice cleric godfather and which is the kinda dickish wizard. The catacombs were fun. Coran was the star of the show at the end, his boots of speed letting him repeatedly dart around corners and re-stealth for more backstabs. But then he walked into a web trap and got skewered by a sword spider. I can't wait to unlock Imoen's thief levels again, I'm at the point where Coran has to chug potions of perception and thievery every time he needs to find a trap. That gets expensive!

Snagging the Tomes of Understanding and Body Building from the catacombs brought the total to... 7/8! Just one more tome of understanding to grab from Durlag's tower.

Speaking of Durlag's, I'm gonna risk it!

Already the casualties are mounting.

So: Oldman the human Ranger/Cleric has dismantled the Iron Throne, routed the doppelgangers from Candlekeep, and is poised to storm Baldur's Gate in pursuit of Sarevok! But first, a vacation in Durlag's Tower. I'm probably going to skip werewolf island, those loup-garou are a drag to fight.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 11, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Rochard finished up the slaver stockade to get to 15k. Mostly straightforward, turns out the hardest part was actually getting in there.

Especially once this chappy showed up.

It was all swimming after that, and selling a bunch of slaver loot got me into chapter 3.

Now, I now I said I was going for an early Spellhold, but I kinda want the Flail of Ages to help out with that. But since I want the cleric stronghold (not the fighter one), and I don't trust the scripting not to gently caress things up, I need to do the Unseeing Eye quest first to lock that in. And since this is an ironman run and I'm not taking any chances, that means I need to scrape up another 10k for an important piece of gear. So it's really looking like a mid-game Spellhold rather than an early one. Oh well, I guess I'll manage.

A quick detour to watchers keep for a bunch of cash leaves everyone passed out fighting molds. I should really respect disables a little more.

Finishing up Aran Linvail's quests gets me enough cash for a little insurance policy. Like I said, Ironman, not taking any chances.

I have Minsc taking on the beholders and shadows, since he has mace specialization and Rochard doesn't have his fighter levels back.

Somehow Minsc gets Held despite having the Shield of Balduran, which is a little weird/worrying. Thankfully everyone else is able to get in there and mop up the remaining Shadows, and the beholders are all still paralyzed by reflected rays.

Rochard gets his fighter levels back! This'll be a big help.

Not keen to fight these golems when I'm not getting any second chances.

Nor these Umber Hulks.

Current status: The Unseeing Eye and D'Arnis Keep quests got me enough loot for Firetooth and the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength. So those are good. Was a little bit short of the Robe of Vecna, so Imoen will have to wait until Chapter 6 to become seriously godly. On to Chapter 4!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Another update since I've been playing a lot and this is going to boil over if I don't do one now.

Talindra made it to the Bandit Camp easily. At this point after clearing out all the wilderness pretty much everything in here is piss-easy.

The only hard part was fighting Taugosz. And by hard I mean Shar-Teel got knocked out and ate a few arrows before I took out the rest of the bandits.

Pretty much the same in here. Horror, Silence the mage, cut everything down like grass. I think I may be getting too good for vanilla BG1, but I don't want to switch to something like SCS since I've never actually finished the trilogy or anything. I just have a lot of half-completed BG1 and BG2 games.

After that, it was time for the Cloakwood! I forgot to take a picture, but I killed Aldeth Sashenstar for his sword, forever altering the course of the Realms forever by the Sashenstar family not being around to break the Iron Throne's stranglehold on commerce in the Western Heartlands in the Year of Lightning Storms.

The spider's lair was the only hard part like normal. Nothing seemed to actually work - my fireballs missed, crowd control did nothing, it was just yucky. And the pathfinding in there is 1 million kinds of poo poo.

Viconia got slaughtered by a sword spider for the problems I had, so I hopped back to the FAI to get her resurrected. On my way to Gellana Mirrorshade, Elminster ran over to tell me about the Cloakwood. I've never actually seen this conversation before I think; I guess because it requires you to go specifically to the FAI during a period when you're more likely to resupply in Beregost and then rush the woods.

Sorry Shadow Druids, you got in the way of my path of destruction and I actually really don't care about the forest besides what BLOOD it gives me. I murdered them all and stole their good poo poo.

I nearly had a heart attack. What the gently caress game? A random encounter with wyverns in it? Before I get to Cloakwood 4? gently caress YOU.

When I made it to the entrance to the mines, the walkthrough I'm using showed me this encounter that I'd never seen before. Basically if you go up the river bank to the northwest, there's another set of guards there. It was JUST enough to get Edwin levelled up to level 6, so I could get some more spells for the upcoming party fight across the river. Wasn't looking forward to that.

Yeah, about that. I spent about 5 minutes buffing and 30 seconds fighting after they all got Horrored. Yawn. Boots of Speed though!

You're going to give me a world of hurt. Okay. Dorn? Cut this man in half. *splat*

I never noticed this before, but in BG:EE, if you hold down Tab while you have the thieving cursor selected, it highlights locks and traps in green. Nice usability upgrade. Sorry for the Steam overlay - the OS X screenshot keys and tab equal Shift-Tab.

I'm getting too good at this. I remember Davaeorn being hard - I just went at him and he fell over pretty easily. Poor guy spent most of his time teleporting to get away and only getting like two actual spells off.

As befits my first evil run, I drowned the slaves. I lost two rep but who cares - it puts me a lot closer to becoming Goddess of Murder!

After resupplying, it was time to head west. I shouted insults at Ajantis until he called me a bully and ran off. Silly stupid holy-man. Can't fight worth a poo poo.

The first big deal was heading to Wyrm's Crossing to end Dorn's quest. Simmeon wasn't nearly as hard as I feared: Horror did good work on him and his friends, and then it was just a race to take the Thralls down before they killed anyone. I picked up some sweet elven chain mail for Talindra, she'll probably be wearing it for the rest of the game.

I made a side-trip to sort things out with Tenya, and above her, her goddess. Because everyone in Faerun knows the one person you never ever ever piss off is the Bitch Queen. She remembers.

And now Talindra, elven swashbuckler heads into the big city of Baldur's Gate, having cleared out the wilderness behind her. I have a secret society to burn, a group of sellswords to pal up to, and my father's legacy to reclaim. But first I have to get the last and most important part of my party.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cool. Thanks guys. Trying to keep my options open for when my current character inevitably dies.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
My BG1 ironman run ended before I even got around to making a post about it. Apparently level 1 characters will just flat out die if they lose a familiar. Oh well, I'm still going to finish this run and try to ironman BG2 instead.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So here is Bashi Ironling, I should have named her Stunni Ironling for how play turned out.

Going for: Ironling (duh) Purist, maybe Melee Champion if that refers to CharName and not entire party. Though right now I'm doing it on both...

I'm taking advantage of some party building cheese I learned a bit ago and as soon as the tutorial movie is over I kite Imoen away. I never trigger her so when I come back later she should be a higher level otherwise. Therefore, I go do some solo xp-grinding.

First stop is Beregost to get some gear

I'm really lucky that I forced the chest, it was the only one on the level and I'm too used to having Dorn's 19 STR around to force things.

Kiting single NPCs and command/stunning is the way to go. Up to the end of this report I've not used a single ranged weapon. That may change as I plan to pick up Kivan but...

I pick up the necklace and ring to return to Beregost later, and trigger chapter 2 to get some good armor. Stopping off at the Inn I trigger the assassin.

For some reason I thought that was only post mine, but a command and Stupefier later...

I get my first level up

I take the second biggest risk of the day and the one that nearly ends the run. Off to SouthWest of Beregost to get me my off-hand weapon. This fight nearly ended before it began, but we each resist the first set of spells.

Instead he dies to another level-up. Just about at the end of the fight my off-hand broke to the iron curse. Good thing he dropped a new off-hand! As I'm writing this up I realize I never got Zargal's sword for Imoen, I'll have to do that later.

Grabbing a certain poultry head off to High Hedge. I wander around for awhile trying to find a skeleton and almost want to item code one in. But as I'm walking to HH, I find one and hit up the wizard where...

The 3rd good spell of the thread happens. Another level up for bad hps :( Pick up his container and 2 scrolls of prot from petrification for the Basilisks...

Turn in a bunch of quests at Beregost, and I use a new cheese.

While there's such a thing as a Fallen Ranger, there's no such thing as a Cleric/Fallen-Ranger.

Solo pulling the wolves, and I level up easily on the Vampire wolf.

Wait. What do you mean there's *TWO* Vampire wolves there? I ignore the second one as I kill 2 of it's friends not realizing it was even there!

A decent level up from the temple

I head to the Basilisks, and am about to start when I realize a flaw in my cunning plan. Uhh Cleric/Ranger can't read the scroll! Back to Beregost I go! The plan is to recruit Garret, have him read the scroll then dump him. While doing so I continue the stunning cheese.

I figure that Mutamin won't be an issue, and I'm not wrong.

Amusing thing here, silenced the Greater never became aggro

I finish the Basilisks before the scroll wear off, and do the stupidest thing I've done. Take on Kirian, Peter, Lindin, and Baerin solo. This was just Hubris and I had to drink multiple potions and came closest to dying. Two Silence 15' radius got the casters, but I thought I'd get them solo but since they couldn't talk I didn't. I hit Lindin with 4 commands 2 of which were resisted. Baerin went down easily, and Kirian just ignored me, I think even though he's a Fighter/mage the AI said to cast spells. So I ended the fight looking like:

Other than doing spider or ring at FAI, I'm done with my solo xp collecting. I'm going to debate actually doing a solo play through, but I think I'm going to go and pick up my party now:
Ajantis,
Jheira,
Me,
Kivan,
Imoen,
Edwin

Any thoughts?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sup Solo Buds. That Kirian encounter ended one of my nascent runs so good on you to make it through that.

I've got a new'un, meet Boudica the Solo Purist Wizard Slayer:

You may have noticed a theme with my stat rolls.

On literally the second travel screen I got ambushed by twelve bandits, aka "780 easy XP". That was a quick first level.

Also, on the first time I bothered to get him, Melicamp lives!

Okay, so killing Xan was not deliberate. (Note no reputation loss for doing it: no one cares about poor Xan.) The gimmick that makes a wizard slayer run really work is the Cursed +3 Berserking two-handed sword; its berserk overrides spells like rigid thinking and feeblemind, makes you fight through horror/panic/fear and generally lets you rip and tear with the best of them. Unfortunately, there are moments like these along the way!

But it got me through Mulahey just fine. Let's see if I won't make it through Cloakwood this time!

Having finished the Mines and done some other tasks, Boudica rests in Nashkel.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
After Zara the assassin met an inglorious end, I said gently caress it and rolled up a dwarven berserker named Drouin who specializes in dual wielding hammers in order to beat the poo poo out of things. I thought I got a screenshot of his stat sheet but apparently not. Oh well.

First major stop was Tarnesh and the FAI, where I got some help from the guards

Unfortunately that meant no XP for me :argh:
Oh yeah I also decided to roll with a smaller party for awhile so it was just Drouin and Imoen for awhile until I got down to Nashkel to pick up Branwen and Edwin. Berserker rage is a great way to tank poo poo early on so the belt ogre fell right away and hobgoblins were no issue, but I pretty much beelined for Nashkel. After adding Branwen and Edwin, I headed to the inn to duke it out with Neira. Unfortunately Drouin was immediately hit with rigid thinking, which caused him to go wandering around all over the place. The rest of my party had to plink away as best they could with what spells and ranged weapons they could until she went down, but not before Drouin decided he didn't like the looks of that commoner sitting in a chair and murdered the gently caress out of him.

Luckily that was the worst of it and reputation can be restored.

With some better armor and party members, we went to go kill Dynaheir, and made short work of those half ogre fuckers on the bridge :argh:

With the gauntlets of dex, ankheg plate, and ring of protection, Drouin is rocking a -5 AC now and things are looking up. Dynaheir is murdered (did I mention Drouin is neutral evil?) and the tome of prettiness is obtained.

Now I"m looking for XP so the party heads off to take out Greywolf, which happens quickly thanks to several crits from Drouin

Too bad he isn't specialized in swords...oh well, Bassilus is up soon. But first, spiders

oh god they're everywhere! :supaburn:

But they're not match for a berserker dwarf with a low AC. While I'm at it, neither is Silke

I'm pretty sure she didn't even get a spell off. At this point Drouin needs a better weapon, so Bassilus' days are over. I didn't get a screen shot apparently but I ended up having to murder all of his undead (re-murder? put to rest? oh well) and then chase down Branwen who got hit with another rigid thinking spell and protect her from roving bands of skeletons. But hey, 5000 gold and a bitchin' hammer.

Side note, color spray can be pretty funny sometimes when you take out an entire gnoll ambush with it

Pretty much just cleaning up some small quests here and there now...return the necklace to Colquete, get the reward for the spiders, steal everything that isn't locked down, head to high hedge for some magic stuff annnnnd a cave bear locks onto Imoen and won't stop chasing her and I probably should have just left the area but she ends up getting smacked down. My first party death...but I have no bad feelings about rezing her so onward! We tried to get Melicamp some help and...

He survived :toot:

Last thing of note here is my attempt to steal the cloak off of Algernon...it didn't go well, but hey at least the temple gratefully accepted my donation to bring my rep back up to average

So now I'm a little wary of just running around all the wilderness areas going nuts, since there are some difficult encounters in there. I think my next stop is to pick up Shar-Teel, fix the Cpt Brage situation, and then head to the mines to finish all that up and hopefully get my spellcasters another level or so. I need to get someone a dispel magic spell before I want to face off against lots of stronger mages.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Mr. Kipling has cleared the Nashkel Mines.

First things first though, dealing with Silke, bitchy bard extraordinaire. I charmed her after her pre-buff, then had her waste her spells.

She had a Dispel Magic, I had her remove her buffs before getting a lucky one-hit kill.

I then headed to and cleared Ulcaster, getting a level up to 9 in the process. Didn't get any screenshots though.

The mines were a simple matter of using the Necklace of Missiles on the larger bands of kobolds.

Mulahey doesn't have many spells, he's only a threat if you fail a save against Hold Person.

Nimbul would be a problem if he didn't try to take you and the entire Nashkel garrison on at once. He went down fast.

Tranzig didn't even get time to pre-buff. A very poor show from him.

I think I'll just head straight for the bandit camp next and then directly on to the Cloakwood.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Snagging the Tomes of Understanding and Body Building from the catacombs brought the total to... 7/8! Just one more tome of understanding to grab from Durlag's tower.

Speaking of Durlag's, I'm gonna risk it!

Already the casualties are mounting.

So: Oldman the human Ranger/Cleric has dismantled the Iron Throne, routed the doppelgangers from Candlekeep, and is poised to storm Baldur's Gate in pursuit of Sarevok! But first, a vacation in Durlag's Tower. I'm probably going to skip werewolf island, those loup-garou are a drag to fight.

I was hoping someone would be brave foolish enough to do Durlag's Tower.

• Locked thread