Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Spirit is awful and I will always fly Spirit MSP-ORD. I honestly wouldn't take any trip that required a connection, only direct flights. They schedule so tightly that any delay ripples through their system, throwing everything off. I had an early evening departure from ORD to MSP, and a plane had been delayed in Florida that morning causing my flight to be many hours late as everything caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Origin: Boston
Destination: Dublin
Duration of trip with dates: april 19th to April 26
Flexibility: Flexible with the times but no the dates, though I assume since its international its gonna be a red eye

We've been peeping flights for this date for 3 months now, trying to get cheap tickets for our honeymoon. For some unknown reason, prices in april to ireland are 943, but prices from now to march are 200-300$ cheaper. Its been that way for months, and we were hoping it would drop soon. Idk did we miss the sweet booking spot or something?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

So it's almost January and flights are now 942. Keep waiting or are these just gonna be the prices?

E: Welp gently caress prices are going up, Im gonna book now.

E2: I checked again this morning and the flights are back to 943 :psyduck:

E3: Welp back up again. Yeah I guess I should just book now.

The price of impatience/risk aversion:

Indirect flights now available at $788 with 1 hr connection in FRA, direct flights $844..

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
My partner and I are wanting to go to Cuba and Mexico in June or July. Travel to central America is super expensive from Australia. Please help!

Origin: Sydney Kingsford Smith
Destination: cuba/mexico
Flexibility: we plan to holiday for around 6 weeks over May, June or July. We don't care if we start in Mexico or Cuba, or even if there is another south or central American destination that will make things easier for us, we are happy to let our schedule work around cheaper flights .

Sorry to be so vague but I could have a ridiculous fortnight in SEA for the price of flights to the Americas

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Big Willy Style posted:

My partner and I are wanting to go to Cuba and Mexico in June or July. Travel to central America is super expensive from Australia. Please help!

Origin: Sydney Kingsford Smith
Destination: cuba/mexico
Flexibility: we plan to holiday for around 6 weeks over May, June or July. We don't care if we start in Mexico or Cuba, or even if there is another south or central American destination that will make things easier for us, we are happy to let our schedule work around cheaper flights .

Sorry to be so vague but I could have a ridiculous fortnight in SEA for the price of flights to the Americas

Leaving in May or a few dates in June provides a number of $1589AUD fares which are not bad considering the market and distance you'd be traveling. Those fares are on Delta with a plane change in LAX which means you'd have to transit the US for our really dumb security™ process. Anything else gets more expensive very quickly.

Southeast Asia has dramatically more lift, thus more competition, thus lower fares than you'll see to the Western Hemisphere.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Interesting question to me -- what gets you from South Pacific to South America or Central America without North America?

That lan flight from akl to scl?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

sellouts posted:

Interesting question to me -- what gets you from South Pacific to South America or Central America without North America?

QF to SCL from SYD, various Asian connections

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

There's a couple of EZE and GRU options as well. They have less competition than the US routes do so they're enormously expensive.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm pretty sure you can go SYD -> DFW, I'm assuming you can get from Dallas to Central America pretty easily.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

HookShot posted:

I'm pretty sure you can go SYD -> DFW, I'm assuming you can get from Dallas to Central America pretty easily.

You can, but at what price? SYD-DFW is a flagship route that has a single service on it, so the prices are typically higher than to LAX or SFO, and you can get to LatAm pretty easily through LAX as well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mackieman posted:

You can, but at what price? SYD-DFW is a flagship route that has a single service on it, so the prices are typically higher than to LAX or SFO, and you can get to LatAm pretty easily through LAX as well.

Yeah, I wasn't factoring in price, just that it's actually fairly easy to get from Australia to central America, just throwing out the two-flight routes that are out there.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Currently getting from Australia to America anything without North America is either QF from SYD-SCL or LA from AKL-SCL. AFAIK no one does BUE or EZE anymore, although Air NZ announced this might change soon. Aerolineas Argentina or whoever used to run SYD-BUE but cancelled it early last year.

Getting from Australia to Central America is probably one of the most expensive routes an Australian generally can purchase to anywhere on the planet. It's cheaper to get to North America, SE Asia, Central/northern Asia, Europe, and on par or still more expensive than Africa or South America.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

It's probably already been discussed somewhere but I can't find it.

Groupon travel packages and likewise sites? Good? lovely? About the same you'd get if you did it yourself?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There's usually a catch like its a terrible time of year to go to the place or there's construction or additional fees.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

rizuhbull posted:

It's probably already been discussed somewhere but I can't find it.

Groupon travel packages and likewise sites? Good? lovely? About the same you'd get if you did it yourself?

To sellout's point, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I'd be very, very careful and check the destination, accommodation, and flights carefully.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You also have to get yourself to whatever airport the package leaves from (usually NY airports but I did see one where you could choose NY or Chicago) on what I would assume is an unprotected connection.

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)
Question about rescheduling/one-way ticket general fuckery:

A few weeks ago I reserved a round-trip ticket, Houston to Phoenix with US Airways, leaving Thurs 2/5 and returning Sun 2/8. Work decided to be a jerk and shove a bunch of important meetings back a week, filling up 2/5 with poo poo I have to be there for. I call US Airways to ask if I can change the outgoing from Thurs to Fri, and they basically tell me it's gonna be at least another $360 to change from 2/5 to 2/6, so gently caress that noise. Poking around on kayak, I saw a one-way from Houston to Phoenix on Friday for just about $100. If I were to take this other one-way ticket to Phoenix and no-show for the outbound leg of my initial round-trip ticket, would I still be able to catch just the return flight of that round-trip? Would definitely prefer to pay an extra $100 instead of $360 if at all possible.

Tl;dr: Airline reaming me with fees for moving the outbound leg of my round trip ticket by one day, can I take a one-way outbound and still catch the return flight of my round trip?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

sentientcarbon posted:

Question about rescheduling/one-way ticket general fuckery:

A few weeks ago I reserved a round-trip ticket, Houston to Phoenix with US Airways, leaving Thurs 2/5 and returning Sun 2/8. Work decided to be a jerk and shove a bunch of important meetings back a week, filling up 2/5 with poo poo I have to be there for. I call US Airways to ask if I can change the outgoing from Thurs to Fri, and they basically tell me it's gonna be at least another $360 to change from 2/5 to 2/6, so gently caress that noise. Poking around on kayak, I saw a one-way from Houston to Phoenix on Friday for just about $100. If I were to take this other one-way ticket to Phoenix and no-show for the outbound leg of my initial round-trip ticket, would I still be able to catch just the return flight of that round-trip? Would definitely prefer to pay an extra $100 instead of $360 if at all possible.

Tl;dr: Airline reaming me with fees for moving the outbound leg of my round trip ticket by one day, can I take a one-way outbound and still catch the return flight of my round trip?

No, if you miss the first leg of the roundtrip the whole ticket is considered forfeit, sorry.

If one way is only $100 maybe check if you can re-book the whole itinerary for cheaper than $360?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, you're subject to a change fee and difference in fare (likely $200 fee plus $160 fare difference between what you bought and current fare prices). F9 has a $257 fare if you can endure their new product, otherwise $360 is less than the $450 for a new ticket.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

I am looking to go to the Dominican Republic for a week or so (at least 5, upto 9 or so days) at any time in May.

Preferably flying into SDQ from AMS, I could depart from elsewhere, but y'know, convenience.

Thing is I mostly see flight with Condor or Air Europa, and looking up their seating/service on-board, it doesn't seem like they are great.. Especially the seating, I am really not keen on smushing myelf into RyanAir-style tiny seats for a flight that long.

Anyone flown with these? Are they as cramped/bad as the internet makes them out to be?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Jossos posted:

I am looking to go to the Dominican Republic for a week or so (at least 5, upto 9 or so days) at any time in May.

Preferably flying into SDQ from AMS, I could depart from elsewhere, but y'know, convenience.

Thing is I mostly see flight with Condor or Air Europa, and looking up their seating/service on-board, it doesn't seem like they are great.. Especially the seating, I am really not keen on smushing myelf into RyanAir-style tiny seats for a flight that long.

Anyone flown with these? Are they as cramped/bad as the internet makes them out to be?

Yes, they are. It is leisure coach flying at its finest, packing as many people into a plane as possible so as to make the flight profitable given the lack of a premium cabin and the revenues it provides.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Yeah, that figures. The only alternatives are Delta and Iberia, but they are quite a bit more pricey. Gotta think about it.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm looking for a trip to MLI from PDX on or around March 20th round trip returning the 23rd. I'm somewhat flexible on dates and pretty flexible on airports. I can leave some SeaTac or anywhere in between, and into RFD, or most other area ports - but not into Chicago proper as the logistics of getting out of there would be hell for the person I'm going to go see.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Wizard of Smart posted:

I'm looking for a trip to MLI from PDX on or around March 20th round trip returning the 23rd. I'm somewhat flexible on dates and pretty flexible on airports. I can leave some SeaTac or anywhere in between, and into RFD, or most other area ports - but not into Chicago proper as the logistics of getting out of there would be hell for the person I'm going to go see.

Best I see is PDX-DSM on DL for $359, plane change in MSP both ways. You can save about $40 or $50 going out of SEA but you'll eat up those savings and then some getting from PDX to SEA.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Here's my holiday plan for the year and I was wondering how I could get it the cheapest way possible.

AMS/BRU/FRA/CDG -> ICN before May 25th
ICN/GMP -> HKG / SZX before June 4th
WUH / CTU / CKG -> AMS/BRU/FRA/CDG before June 22nd

I wouldn't mind having a stopover in ICN to get back to Europe cheaper. None of these flights have to be direct flights. Separate ticketing would be fine.
I have a slight preference for OneWorld since I'd probably be able to get an award ticket for ICN/GMP -> HKG/SZX, and that should save a bit of money.

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

I'm planning a trip to FNT from LAX (round trip) in May for a week. I'm pretty flexible with dates - any day after May 10th is okay. I've looked around a bit and the cheapest I've been able to find is $384. Last October I went on the same trip (5 days instead, though) and it was $300 so is there any chance for tickets to get this cheap again?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I have a question about the Matrix search. The flights I find on it are about $200 cheaper, but of course I can't actually book the flights through the site, and it tells me to take my itinerary to a travel agent.

-How close can I expect to get to the cost quoted on the search?
-Should I go through a travel agent?
-When you say book directly with the airline, do I do that online or over the phone? Online, I can't find prices anywhere close to what the Matrix search shows.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grimes posted:

I have a question about the Matrix search. The flights I find on it are about $200 cheaper, but of course I can't actually book the flights through the site, and it tells me to take my itinerary to a travel agent.

-When you say book directly with the airline, do I do that online or over the phone? Online, I can't find prices anywhere close to what the Matrix search shows.

You should at least be able to find the exact same fares on some search engines like hipmunk that use ITA (Google flights also does and provides links to places to book) or by doing a segment by segment search on Orbitz (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/ita-displays-a-fare-i-cannot-find-it-on-the-airline-website-where-to-go.11421/). It might still be unbookable though, in which case contact a travel agent if you have one that you can easily ask to make sure but don't expect much.

If the flight is not bookable, then the next cheapest flight is basically the next cheapest alternative.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just want to say thanks for introducing me to Google Flights

Got a really good price

e: in terms of "Things learnt" I would say always check currency conversion.

We booked in Asia, and flying to the UK, paying with a UK Mastercard.
Virgin offered to book it in GBP but their exchange rate was poo poo. It would have been ~£300-400 more expensive
Instead, there was a £30 fee for currency exchange on the credit card, with a far better exchange rate
So we booked it in the local currency. Which is odd because Virgin is a UK company, but the bill was 100% certain in our local currency.
If you were really looking to squash prices on flights, you could try slotting in proxies to get charged in a foreign currency and then pay in that, doing a "soak-up-and-save" on the credit card exchange charges, like we did by accident.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 16, 2015

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
So, I booked a one way ticket home (NYC) from Bangkok back in December. I'll be flying on March 17th. I was expecting to spend around $600-$650, but I found this super low price on Etihad for $415. I booked it, though I did realize at the time that the flight from Abu Dhabi to JFK would be operated by Etihad, but on a Jet Airways plane. Some friends also booked a ridiculously cheap Etihad ticket to New York from Bangkok, but they have to change somewhere in India and in Brussels as well.

Is there anything I should know about this flight at all? It looks like I'll be on a regular Etihad airplane from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi, then on a Jet Airways plane to JFK. For just over $400, I don't think I'll complain that much. For the record, the Abu Dhabi-JFK flight is EY 103.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mercurochrome posted:

I'm planning a trip to FNT from LAX (round trip) in May for a week. I'm pretty flexible with dates - any day after May 10th is okay. I've looked around a bit and the cheapest I've been able to find is $384. Last October I went on the same trip (5 days instead, though) and it was $300 so is there any chance for tickets to get this cheap again?

Leaving out of FNT is almost always going to cost you more than leaving out of DTW. If you're willing to make the drive down, DTW-LAX is $326 on either Frontier or Spirit. If that's something that interests you, be very aware of what you're getting when you book a ticket on those carriers (no bags, no carry ons, etc). If you can leave on May 9, you can do $254 on US Airways, DTW-LAX with a plane change in PHX.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grimes posted:

Occasionally you will find stale results in ITA, but usually the fare you find should be bookable through the airline offering the fare. A travel agent is not needed (though Orbitz and the like are actually travel agents offering you an electronic portal) and in almost all cases the fare can be priced directly with the carrier offering the fare. If none of them price out the same way, it's likely a stale result (fares loaded by the airlines into ITA selling out or being pulled before ITA is notified with a fare update). It happens and it sucks, but it is the way of things.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

simplefish posted:

Just want to say thanks for introducing me to Google Flights

Got a really good price

e: in terms of "Things learnt" I would say always check currency conversion.

We booked in Asia, and flying to the UK, paying with a UK Mastercard.
Virgin offered to book it in GBP but their exchange rate was poo poo. It would have been ~£300-400 more expensive
Instead, there was a £30 fee for currency exchange on the credit card, with a far better exchange rate
So we booked it in the local currency. Which is odd because Virgin is a UK company, but the bill was 100% certain in our local currency.
If you were really looking to squash prices on flights, you could try slotting in proxies to get charged in a foreign currency and then pay in that, doing a "soak-up-and-save" on the credit card exchange charges, like we did by accident.

This has been floating around for a while and there are occasions where the FX markets can offer some savings if the bank and/or merchant offers to allow you to pay in another currency. This is decided different than the UA fares from last week that offered cheap prices in DKK but you had to change your billing country to Denmark to make it work. I have a couple of cards (being based in the US) that have no-fee ForEx transactions, but it is my experience that when a merchant offers to convert into your home currency for you, they do so at a TERRIBLE exchange rate and pocket the difference. I always pay in local currency wherever I am to avoid those issues.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Shnicker posted:

So, I booked a one way ticket home (NYC) from Bangkok back in December. I'll be flying on March 17th. I was expecting to spend around $600-$650, but I found this super low price on Etihad for $415. I booked it, though I did realize at the time that the flight from Abu Dhabi to JFK would be operated by Etihad, but on a Jet Airways plane. Some friends also booked a ridiculously cheap Etihad ticket to New York from Bangkok, but they have to change somewhere in India and in Brussels as well.

Is there anything I should know about this flight at all? It looks like I'll be on a regular Etihad airplane from Bangkok to Abu Dhabi, then on a Jet Airways plane to JFK. For just over $400, I don't think I'll complain that much. For the record, the Abu Dhabi-JFK flight is EY 103.

These are called 5th Freedom flights and can be a good deal in some cases. That's a long time in coach, though, and be aware of layover times. They could be significant overnights at each stop.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Mackieman posted:

These are called 5th Freedom flights and can be a good deal in some cases. That's a long time in coach, though, and be aware of layover times. They could be significant overnights at each stop.

Huh, that's interesting. Yeah, it's only 3 hours in Abu Dhabi but something like 14 hours in the air from Abu Dhabi to New York. It just seemed strange to me that it's a Jet Airways airplane but we don't land in India at all.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Shnicker posted:

Huh, that's interesting. Yeah, it's only 3 hours in Abu Dhabi but something like 14 hours in the air from Abu Dhabi to New York. It just seemed strange to me that it's a Jet Airways airplane but we don't land in India at all.

They run a number of those, including some from LHR so they can maintain their slots there without having to fly empty to India.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
So, I'm heading over to Scandinavia for a mid-year holiday and trying to find the cheapest possible prices. I've already fed it into kayak and matrix but was wondering if you wizards had any suggestions.

Looking to fly from Brisbane BNE to Stockholm ARN, leaving 28th June and returning around 2nd August. I'm flexible with leaving earlier / returning later, for at least a few days, but want to maximise the amount of time I have over there. Also totally fine with flying into other airports, layovers, etc etc.

Also been wondering - is there any major benefit to booking months in advance? How close to departure dates do the prices start to spike upwards?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It is very reasonable to book now for the peak of (North Hemisphere) summer break, hth.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
This is a bit of a nebulous question. I don't fly frequently, so I don't have any airline allegiance, miles accrued, or credit card with points for flying. This year I'm planning on a trip from D.C. to L.A., and a later trip from D.C. to Europe (London or Dublin). I don't expect to make any other flights in the next year.

Does it make sense to look for credit cards with rewards for flights and/or commit to an airline for both trips for the sake of earning miles? Or should I just book the cheapest options I can find when I'm ready and not worry about it since I don't fly often enough for those sorts of options to matter? (Which is what I assume at the moment, just wanted to double check.)

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

BobTheCow posted:

This is a bit of a nebulous question. I don't fly frequently, so I don't have any airline allegiance, miles accrued, or credit card with points for flying. This year I'm planning on a trip from D.C. to L.A., and a later trip from D.C. to Europe (London or Dublin). I don't expect to make any other flights in the next year.

Does it make sense to look for credit cards with rewards for flights and/or commit to an airline for both trips for the sake of earning miles? Or should I just book the cheapest options I can find when I'm ready and not worry about it since I don't fly often enough for those sorts of options to matter? (Which is what I assume at the moment, just wanted to double check.)

Two return flights on the same airline + fairly basic credit card strategy would be enough for a free domestic round trip (probably even a trip to South America or Europe), but is it worth the effort? Google a bit on the latest credit card offers and "manufactured spend" strategies (i.e. where you spend money without really spending it, for instance with cashback type deals - many of these are of questionable legality, but if you're going to be spending a few thousand bucks anyway it might make sense to get a credit card that will help you earn points), have a look at blogs like One Mile at a Time or View from the Wing and FlyerTalk's beginners forum.

You definitely SHOULD get a frequent flier card with each of the three alliances and some independent airlines like Alaska because they cost absolutely nothing.

edit: I should add though, the flights themselves don't help you that much, but signing up for the right credit card can

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Price out your flights, then get a member's card if there's a particular airline or alliance that's convenient for both your routes.

Playing the miles game with credit cards sounds like a lot of effort. A credit card with points or cash-back would be of more immediate benefit.