Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Teaching Muslims how to speak American could help the situation: confirm/deny?

True. All those who are touched by American culture are transformed and infused with the ideals of free trade, liberty and justice.

Maybe America could offer citizenship to this prosecuted minority. By now it must be clear Europe is unable to deal with this, America will once more solve our problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

paranoid randroid posted:

i know very little about bakunin but dont care because i was grabbing a name out of the air to make a lazy joke about how my previous post was a rambling condemnatory joke about people posting lazy jokes about ethnic cleansing on the internet

jokes

Sounds like the right attitude to have toward Bakunin :hfive:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
we should educate muslims in the American technique of filling the aching hollowness of modernity with cheap snacks, instead of religious radicalism. cram your discontent with ding-dongs, Achmed.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I thought Muslims were born in little mucus pods like Peter Jackson's orcs

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

by bakunin's beard

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

paranoid randroid posted:

we should educate muslims in the American technique of filling the aching hollowness of modernity with cheap snacks, instead of religious radicalism. cram your discontent with ding-dongs, Achmed.

Muslim countries invariably have the best cheap snacks already. It's like the one good thing they have down.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Frog Act posted:

by bakunin's beard

I literally lol'd

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
All religious people are horrible.

But not as bad as those Charlie Hebdo cartoons. Did people in France actually buy that poo poo? All political cartoons pretty much suck, but theirs look like they were drawn by high school kids with learning disabilities and no artistic talent.

I don't know... maybe I'm missing something, like some kind of "l'arte merde" movement where the shittiness of the drawings is some sort of social commentary in itself.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
So where do people see Charlie Hebdo in relation to the Westborough Baptist Church?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Luvcow posted:

So where do people see Charlie Hebdo in relation to the Westborough Baptist Church?

One wants to strip people of their rights because of their extremist religious views and one mocks people who want to strip people of their rights because of their extremist religious views.

So, polar opposites?

But if you meant artistically, they are about on the same level.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the al jazeera dude is completely right

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
so is gbs afraid of all cartoons now?
anime is only for unbelievers, FYI

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i think its v funny that suddenly the whole loving world is tripping themselves up in their rush to fawn over some trashy racist magazine no one gave a gently caress 3 days ago

the real joke here is that now we are supposed to take the french equivalent of sambo cartoons seriously

goku im piss
Mar 18, 2005

Your mama was a snowblower

babypolis posted:

the real joke here is that now we are supposed to take the french equivalent of sambo cartoons seriously

obviously someone did, we wouldn't be talking about it otherwise

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

hemale in pain posted:

you can get arrested here for saying nasty things on facebook, so i think you could probably also get arrested for owning a magazine.

http://tellmamauk.org/

loving lol

run to mama if someone hurt your feelings lmao

we become the enemy when freedom dies for security

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

babypolis posted:

i think its v funny that suddenly the whole loving world is tripping themselves up in their rush to fawn over some trashy racist magazine no one gave a gently caress 3 days ago

its also a real laugh riot, that even a loving print magazine with loyal readership of like 4 persons, cannot stop offending shitheads from destroyed countries in the middle of a desert, thousands of miles away.

does that mean ISIS could behead goons, if their shitposting offends them?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

My stance

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

really why do these shitbags exist anyway. whats the appeal

Agreed. I mean I can draw stink lines on my own childish drawing of an Arab, so who needs these cartoonists anyway?

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Agag posted:

Agreed. I mean I can draw stink lines on my own childish drawing of an Arab, so who needs these cartoonists anyway?

but you could offend someone and make them buthurt and they would have no choice but to kill you.

do you really want to take that chance?

Cyber Dog
Feb 22, 2008

“Baiting extremists isn’t bravely defiant when your manner of doing so is more significant in offending millions of moderate people as well. And within a climate where violent response — however illegitimate — is a real risk, taking a goading stand on a principle virtually no one contests is worse than pointless: it’s pointlessly all about you.”

QFT

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Pajser posted:

its also a real laugh riot, that even a loving print magazine with loyal readership of like 4 persons, cannot stop offending shitheads from destroyed countries in the middle of a desert, thousands of miles away.

does that mean ISIS could behead goons, if their shitposting offends them?

lol you loving retard im not saying it was right to kill those people. of course murder is wrong. what bothers me is the wests response which is emotional and stupid and legitimizes a trashy rag no one should care about while ignoring/avoiding any of the real problems that led to this

In Drywall posted:

“Baiting extremists isn’t bravely defiant when your manner of doing so is more significant in offending millions of moderate people as well. And within a climate where violent response — however illegitimate — is a real risk, taking a goading stand on a principle virtually no one contests is worse than pointless: it’s pointlessly all about you.”

QFT

basically this. its sad that they died but the narrative being built right now, that these hack "journalists" were champions of free speech, fighting for all that is good in this world, is loving retarded

babypolis fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 13, 2015

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

In Drywall posted:

“Baiting extremists isn’t bravely defiant when your manner of doing so is more significant in offending millions of moderate people as well."

Except when baiting them has a good get you killed, while the "millions of moderate people" sit on the fence looking on.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Iamblikhos posted:

Except when baiting them has a good get you killed, while the "millions of moderate people" sit on the fence looking on.

Hmm, collective responsibility.

Yeah, I remember when millions of Westerners acted to stop the systematic murder of Muslim civilians by the most advanced and expensive armies in history. I was proud to be a Westerner that day I can tell you.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Agag posted:

systematic murder of Muslim civilians

LOL

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Iamblikhos posted:

you deserve your ironknuckle avatar sinceyou are just as retarded as he is

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

im very much alright with everybody mocking and making fun of the French again

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

babypolis posted:

you deserve your ironknuckle avatar sinceyou are just as retarded as he is

Clearly you know me better than I know myself

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
What was the point of making those stupid cartoons? Did the newspaper think it would shame the extremists into acting better? Or perhaps it was strictly a "gently caress you" from the newspaper to the extremists. Someone explain what did it serve to publish that poo poo? I know that if you wanted to have an open dialogue with the extremists then mocking something they hold sacred probably isn't the best way to do it. And gently caress no I'm not Charlie the rag magazine and couldn't care less of the cartoonists who died just like I don't feel bad for Steve Irwin playing with a sting ray and getting skewered.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
What is the point of posting? :iiam:

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Tony Homo posted:

I know that if you wanted to have an open dialogue with the extremists then mocking something they hold sacred probably isn't the best way to do it.

You don't want to have "open dialogue" with extremists. Part of what makes extremists extremists is that open dialogue with them is unproductive.

Mocking them, on the other hand, can at least be therapeutic.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I like how for English speakers who don't think about politics with any more subtlety or complexity than I think about hockey, Charlie Hebdo were either immediately Heroes Standing At The Gates of Eurabia or Evil Racist Provocateurs

(Go Rangers)

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Fat Lowtax posted:

I like how for English speakers who don't think about politics with any more subtlety or complexity than I think about hockey, Charlie Hebdo were either immediately Heroes Standing At The Gates of Eurabia or Evil Racist Provocateurs

(Go Rangers)

Just Englsh speakers?

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

babypolis posted:

the people working at Charlie Hebdo didnt kill anyone and the horrible quote about how they preferred cartoons so heres bullets from their magazine (Inspire) either makes no loving sense or proves outright its made to insight violence and should be banned like it has been in many countries. so instead of embracing free speech theyre outright admitting that yes theyre dangerous angsty teenage fuckwads and should be treated as such.

there is no right in killing somebody over words, sorry youre dumb

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 13, 2015

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Fat Lowtax posted:

(Go Rangers)

they were one of the few magazines in France that had the balls to stand up and say what needed to be said so yeah, they were kind of important

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Drunk & Ugly posted:

the people working at that magazine didnt kill anyone and the horrible quote about bullets from their magazine either makes no loving sense or proves outright its made to insight violence and should be banned like it has been in many countries. so instead of embracing free speech theyre outright admitting that yes theyre dangerous angsty teenage fuckwads and should be treated as such.

there is no right in killing somebody over words, sorry youre dumb

Yeah, killing people is wrong. Also, Charlie Hebdo is an unfunny racist piece of poo poo magazine that nobody cared about two weeks ago. So there's no conflict here.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

babypolis posted:

lol you loving retard im not saying it was right to kill those people. of course murder is wrong. what bothers me is the wests response which is emotional and stupid and legitimizes a trashy rag no one should care about while ignoring/avoiding any of the real problems that led to this

basically this. its sad that they died but the narrative being built right now, that these hack "journalists" were champions of free speech, fighting for all that is good in this world, is loving retarded

for every concern troll championing caricaturists they never heard of before there is an idiot claiming that their "baiting" is what got them killed.

In Drywall posted:

QFT

so if a nationalist frenchman decides that "this drivel offends the Great French Nation which I consider a Real God" and starts killing, his actions can be completely justified and blamed on the victim or victims, because they didnt consider the risk of a "violent response in this climate".

Pajser fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 13, 2015

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

Agag posted:

Yeah, killing people is wrong. Also, Charlie Hebdo is an unfunny racist piece of poo poo magazine that nobody cared about two weeks ago. So there's no conflict here.

just because they pissed off some brown people doesnt make them racist

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Last time I checked CH's racism level was 12pHtl (picoHitlers) while Fox News clocked at a hefty 5.6 mHtl (milliHitlers) so there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Drunk & Ugly posted:

just because they pissed off some brown people doesnt make them racist

I've seen a bunch of the cartoons, they are racist poo poo.

Also, LOL if you think this attack was specifically about this one magazine and three dudes getting mad about some cartoons they saw. Like a decade long war of mutual murder and atrocity is incidental.

• Locked thread