Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No one complies with Title IX right now anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

JonathonSpectre posted:

I don't know how you can see the ratings for the playoff games this year and not think ESPN will do everything in their power to get to 8 as soon as they possibly can. Is there any legal or contractual things keeping it from happening next year? It's basically a license to print a completely-guaranteed ungodly amount of money and from what I've seen that is something they really like.

The primary pushback you will see is from the major athletic departments and teams themselves who don't like the idea of adding another game without a big payoff in return. You're asking teams that think themselves likely to be in the top 4 anyway to play another game to get to the championship. This was a big hurdle for the playoff to start with. Like the playoff now, you won't see anyone coming around until they get shut out of it for a few years. The fact that the #4 ranked team won it this year will certainly get the ball rolling on some #5/#6 ranked teams saying that they could have won it, though.

You aren't going to be seeing the major players really pushing for this until a few undisputed P5 conference winners shut out of the playoff a few years in a row. And you certainly won't see people pushing for it just to accommodate the Big 12 being babies about not having a proper conference championship. You'll see that change before you see an 8 team playoff.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think all student athletes should get a stipend, so the baseball player will get the same as a football player. The only difference is that a football or basketball player may get additional compensation for the use of his likeness in advertising or other commercial media.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Wait, why do you want the mid-majors out of the FBS?

I want them gone so the team I cheer for doesn't have to recruit against them. Same reason I'm down with full cost of attendance scholarships and/or a stipend for players.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

MourningView posted:

I have a friend who does technical support work for the Florida athletic department, and he talked about how the men's basketball games are catered better than woman's basketball. I told him he should report it under Title IX. We both laughed for like 5 minutes. That's about as nerdy a sports joke gets.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Just let every conference champion into the playoffs, also don't let Notre Dame join a conference, also don't let independents into the playoffs, also burn Notre Dame to the ground

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Xombie posted:

You aren't going to be seeing the major players really pushing for this until a few undisputed P5 conference winners shut out of the playoff a few years in a row. And you certainly won't see people pushing for it just to accommodate the Big 12 being babies about not having a proper conference championship. You'll see that change before you see an 8 team playoff.

The ACC commissioner has already gone on record saying he wants 8 teams, of course he did it during the season after it became obvious a loss for Florida State meant they would be the P5 conference that was shut out. I don't think he tried to take it back or anything though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Didn't see this, but the finals set another cable viewership record:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...history/349999/

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
not all tv contracts that the conferences sign benefit all of the schools :(

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The MACs TV deal is really really really bad

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
If they reform the playoffs it should be Any conference champ ranked in the top 12 (using the bowl placement tiebreakers for any conference without a CCG) and then at larges for the rest of the spots and also get rid of the dumb gay committee and go back to either the BCS ranking system or just the coaches/AP or whatever. The way the committee handled the G5 teams this year was pretty laughable.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
N: Postseason AP Poll is out. http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

quote:

1. Ohio State
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Alabama
5. Michigan State
6. Florida State
7. Baylor
8. Georgia Tech
9. Georgia
10. UCLA
11. Mississippi State
12. Arizona State
13. Wisconsin
14. Missouri
15. Clemson
16. Boise State
17. Ole Miss
18. Kansas State
19. Arizona
20. USC
21. Utah
22. Auburn
23. Marshall
24. Louisville
25. Memphis

V:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Scarf posted:

:laffo: Notre Dame at 14... Get hosed whoever wrote that.

Edit: And an even bigger get hosed to ESPN thinking they'd be 12.

This is from a few pages back, but Notre Dame is gonna be really good next year. They should've been really good this year but they lost a bunch of starters before the season started, then were absolutely ravaged by injuries on defense. They had 3 players on defense that played in every game. That's it. Oh and Everett Golson sucks and thinks he's an amazing pocket passer despite having absolutely no decision making skills whatsoever. Playing Malik Zaire should fix that since they can actually run the QB read option. I think they'll return 20 starters next year.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Hmmm......Ohio State at 1. I don't know how I feel about that

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mahoning posted:

This is from a few pages back, but Notre Dame is gonna be really good next year. They should've been really good this year but they lost a bunch of starters before the season started, then were absolutely ravaged by injuries on defense. They had 3 players on defense that played in every game. That's it. Oh and Everett Golson sucks and thinks he's an amazing pocket passer despite having absolutely no decision making skills whatsoever. Playing Malik Zaire should fix that since they can actually run the QB read option. I think they'll return 20 starters next year.

Seems like every year they're supposed to be really good...

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It was in the very very good Fab Five 30 for 30, some people even signed the letters with their names and graduation years.

Thanks for the tip on this, Dogg. That's a pro watch.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Screw this "champion" thing, top 8 teams, no matter the affiliation. Everyone else goes to their conference's contracted bowls. Top 7 bowl games each get to host a game in the playoff. gently caress the G5.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

N: Postseason AP Poll is out. http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

quote:

1. Ohio State
2. Oregon
3. TCU
4. Alabama
5. Michigan State
6. Florida State
7. Baylor
8. Georgia Tech
9. Georgia
10. UCLA
11. Mississippi State
12. Arizona State
13. Wisconsin
14. Missouri
15. Clemson
16. Boise State
17. Ole Miss
18. Kansas State
19. Arizona
20. USC
21. Utah
22. Auburn
23. Marshall
24. Louisville
25. Memphis

V:

V:
20% Pac-12 South

:getin:

p.s. stop loving it up colorado

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think it would be fun for the top seeds in the first round to have home field advantage. Makes more sense than expecting the fan base to be able to travel long distances three weeks in a row. It's important to maintain the college feel in the championship game and not have a bunch of lovely corporate seats.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Scarf posted:

Seems like every year they're supposed to be really good...

They went undefeated two years ago......

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Thanks for the tip on this, Dogg. That's a pro watch.

Because if there is one thing we can all agree on, it's gently caress Duke basketball

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Mahoning posted:

They've turned in two good seasons in 15+ years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Komet posted:

They've turned in two good seasons in 15+ years.

They were coached by Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weis for 13 years.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Nobody forced them to pick those coaches.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

AfterFather posted:

Ummmmm what does this even mean? They were bad coaches. It explains why Notre Dame has been bad. Why they picked those coaches is irrelevant.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AfterFather posted:

ghost of knute rockne dictates all coaching changes through the innards of a chicken

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Dattserberg posted:

Because if there is one thing we can all agree on, it's gently caress Duke basketball

So say we all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mahoning posted:

To be fair they weren't that good then either.

They had a rather lackluster schedule.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Reminder that Tyrone Willingham is a great coach who only was fired due to racism

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Reminder that Tyrone Willingham is a great coach who only was fired due to racism

Do great coaches go 0-12?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Ummmmm what does this even mean? They were bad coaches. It explains why Notre Dame has been bad. Why they picked those coaches is irrelevant.

Meh, throwaway comment on the poo poo coaches that Notre Dame has hired. I wish I payed more attention to coaching searches and coaching staffs back then so that I could have a better and more informed opinion.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nobody is arguing that that team was great, my entire point is that ND being ranked 12/14 in the preseason is in no way unreasonable. It's probably where they would have finished this season had they not lost 80% of their defenders.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Sash! posted:

Good on him for attempting to scuttle that garbo program, shame the AD didn't take the hint

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Just let every conference champion into the playoffs, also don't let Notre Dame join a conference, also don't let independents into the playoffs, also burn Notre Dame to the ground

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

Joe Paterno lost every game for 13 years, for now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

nope.

Football throws it off.

It works at schools that do not have football programs though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

nope.

Football throws it off.

It works at schools that do not have football programs though.

They typically don't follow it either, and it's not just football that causes big inequalities.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

MourningView posted:

They typically don't follow it either, and it's not just football that causes big inequalities.

At least all the schools report sexual assaults and sexual violence 100% of the time, so in that way the law works.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

They weren't the best team in the country, but they weren't dogshit. Also, lackluster schedule seems a bit strong.

Navy
Purdue
@Michigan State
#24 Michigan
Miami
#5 Stanford
BYU
@ #15 Oklahoma
Pitt
@Boston College
Wake Forest
USC

4-5 legitimately challenging games (MSU, UM, Stanford, Oklahoma, USC) two patsies (one of which is in the ACC) and the rest middling. It was on par with pretty much any major conference schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

MourningView posted:

Title IX is the reason the US has a good women's soccer team, so it has that going for it.

• Locked thread