Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't have a Genesis growing up so I figured I didn't like the Genesis Sonic games for that reason.

However, I really liked Sonic Adventure 1 when the Dreamcast came out, even though I was still a kid (teen). I think I liked walking around the hotels and towns before each stage for some reason. I never played Sonic Adventure 2 though.

From what I heard, Sonic for the XBox 360 is supposed to be one of the worst games of all time. There's been one or two 1st party Mario games that were deemed "not the greatest" (Mario Sunshine, Yoshi's Island DS), but actually having a game considered one of the worst of all time when it was your main franchise is pretty lol

Sonic Generations was fun and I have no personal nostalgia towards Sonic, so there's that.

But yeah, way more stinkers than gems in that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

lmao

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Streets of Rage 2 > [insert SNES beat em up here]
final fight 3 was more like a beat-em-up with street fighter characters
why dont they just make a good beat-em-up with fighting game characters
dont make openbor do your work for you capcom

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

burritolingus posted:

Yoshi's Island would be a lot better if you could turn off Baby Mario crying.

dont suck, noob!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

Don't be ashamed of having grown up Genesis. They still haven't made a two player co-op game whose co-op mechanics are as good as Toejam and Earl's. Also Sega Shadowrun >>>>>>>>>> SNES Shadowrun.

Sonic was real bad though.

Did you ever play the SNES Shadowrun? It's really, really good.

gary oldmans diary posted:

lol

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 15, 2015

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
they took the already limited mk fighter moveset and cut it down to a beat-em-up moveset instead of giving fighting game caliber enemies to fight with a full moveset; not using fighting game characters anymore
also its mk and therefor sucks

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e78JAEta9M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62IW2zl3m8U&t=427s

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 15, 2015

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Seaside Loafer posted:

I'm curious as to why as a self proclaimed 30 something you care so much about the relative merits of sonic the hedgehog vs super mario, both 20 year old console games for children. I'm not having a go at you, everyone needs a hobby, and I have fond memories of them both, but I wonder if your adult mind might be better served by engaging in something else. Chess perhaps, or maybe learning a foreign language, Spanish is supposed to be on of the easier ones.

Like Chess, some games stay a classic even in adulthood. Some don't. My adult mind has engaged in plenty, and I usually never have time for video games, although I wish I could play many that have come out in the last 15 years.

The Whole Internet posted:

in fairness, this principle has been tried before successfully in videogames. commander keen is basically mario with a gun, for instance.

commander keen 2 is a good drat game, hth

Did you know that Super Mario Bros was originally designed to have Mario shoot a gun? hosed up, but true.

Ramsus posted:

In fact Ristar ruled and was very good.

I should give this another try. I got bored with it and never played it again.

Pesmerga posted:

Streets of Rage.2.

The music in this game is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFcdQObbT8o

You had to have the big Sega Genesis to experience this properly, because without stereo outputs, listening to this was shameful in comparison.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

like the saturn is good but too little, too late, for gaming's failingest rear end company of all time... sega.

I think this is the only game system that rendered it's 3D graphics using quads instead of triangles.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

From what I heard, Sonic for the XBox 360 is supposed to be one of the worst games of all time. There's been one or two 1st party Mario games that were deemed "not the greatest" (Mario Sunshine, Yoshi's Island DS), but actually having a game considered one of the worst of all time when it was your main franchise is pretty lol

Mario Sunshine and Yoshi's Island DS are still great games from what I've heard. What should be mentioned to replace those is Yoshi's Story for N64. Great graphics, but the gameplay is broken because you can just skip through the game or something. I forget. I rented it once, and I was really embarrassed by the cutesy intro music and baby noises.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You can't win arguments like this with the SNES crew, because when you try to tout Genesis gems like Decap Attack you usually get a blank stare in return.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

SilvergunSuperman posted:

You can't win arguments like this with the SNES crew, because when you try to tout Genesis gems like Decap Attack you usually get a blank stare in return.

I'm not in either crew, because I'm sure there's plenty of amazing Genesis games, like Gunstar Heroes.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm not in either crew, because I'm sure there's plenty of amazing Genesis games, like Gunstar Heroes.

I also enjoy games for both systems, just silly to see people poo poo on Genesis so much.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Tekken 3 had a beat-em-up mode. And Tekken Ball. gently caress, Tekken 3 was the best game ever.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
vuddeo games

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i want to play a biddeo game

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

as someone who didn't grow up with either console, but who had computers in the house his whole childhood, and grew up with commander keen, doom, simcity etc. i shall weigh in as an unbiased 3rd party on the issue

-i like the 2d sonic games more than 2d mario.
-i think the snes had the better library than the genesis, although not by that much (super metroid, mega man x, a link to the past, dk country... vs dynamite headdy, s3&k, herzog zwei, gunstar heroes)
-i think the genesis had the better soundcard. it was less powerful but the chiptunes it produced were cooler sounding anyway.
-the snes had the better controller out of the box, which gave it a better ninja turtle fighters, and meant you didn't need to buy a controller just for some games like street fighter
-some arcade ports were better on the snes and some were better on the genesis and i have no idea what the ratio is and don't loving care anyway

overall nintendo was more consistent and sega put up a good fight with the genesis and dreamcast but their other consoles sucked and failed. yeah there were great games on the saturn and master system but you can count them on one hand basically.

stuff, etc.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
earthworm jim 1 holds up really well imho

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

the blank stare is more "why are you even trying to argue for genesis when the snes victory is a landslide even if you can scour for 10 shiny genesis gems"

:v:: let me tell you about the great things genesis had that nintendont
:fuckoff:: no

at least talk about saturn or something for fucks sake

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
sublime sucks and has always sucked

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Hyperstone Heist was better than Turtles in Time. Deal with it, snesailures.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

the blank stare is more "why are you even trying to argue for genesis when the snes victory is a landslide even if you can scour for 10 shiny genesis gems"

gensis had gore. snes was too kiddy for blood, so in Mortal Kombat the characters "bled" sweat and the fatalities loving sucked. :smuggo:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Sonic was fun for the two seconds you ball up and speed around until you hit some spikes and ALL YOUR loving COINS GO FLYING WTF ARGHKJ!!!!Ldfg

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
blast processing

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009
agreed with most of the criticism of sonic itt but sonic 2 plays really well as an iphone game. the widescreen format and better framerate helps with not having to stop running and scout for cheap deaths every 5 seconds and the special stages don't look and run like hot garbage. the touchscreen controls are a bit goofy but you get used to them quick

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I'm a 30 something now, and although I really liked Sonic The Hedgehog games as a kid/teenager, they don't seem that great anymore. Actually they are pretty much poo poo. At least the old ones, but I've heard bad things about the new ones too.

I've come to realization when I decided to play some Sonic 2 on my Wii's virtual console. The graphics are really impressive, but the level design is terrible. Platforms are haphazardly thrown into random places, and often two or three paths lead to the same place, usually with no change in difficulty. The worlds are way too open ended for no reason. I don't think there's one puzzle in this entire game. There's nothing clever about it, and quite frankly, boring. It's a game where you're supposed to go fast, and they let you do that with almost no challenges to overcome. So you just run right until you get to an exit or a boss, which are the most interesting aspects of the game unfortunately.

As somebody who never liked Sonic that much, I think the idea wasn't to complete the levels (ala Mario) despite being constantly held against Mario, but rather, to do it as quickly as possible by memorizing paths and shortcuts, like some kind of timed racing platformer.

Every time I played it, I played it like it was Mario, methodically moving forwards with caution because of all the random bullshit that happens when you're going too fast. It was many years before I realized "Oh, so you're supposed to figure out where it all is and then do it quickly."

Still, I'd rather player Super Mario Bros 1 or 3 again over Sonic any day of the week. Or better yet, Super Mario Crossover:
http://explodingrabbit.com/pages/super-mario-bros-crossover/

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

gensis had gore. snes was too kiddy for blood, so in Mortal Kombat the characters "bled" sweat and the fatalities loving sucked. :smuggo:

The Genesis was odd because the system itself was good and I supposed Sega's willingness to buck censorship Nintendo was so keen on.

What I think ultimately makes it a sub-par console to me (and why the SNES is the far more kindly remembered system) is the controller. 3 buttons loving sucks. If you ever play a straight port from the SNES you'll cry at all the combination buttons the Genesis makes you do because they designed an awful controller.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 15, 2015

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Did you ever play the SNES Shadowrun? It's really, really good.

SNES Shadowrun was good but Genesis Shadowrun was better

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830

Blazing Ownager posted:

What I think ultimately makes it a sub-par console to me (and why the SNES is the far more kindly remembered system) is the controller. 3 buttons loving sucks. If you ever play a straight port from the SNES you'll cry at all the combination buttons the Genesis makes you do because they designed an awful controller.

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich

giant bomb personality "jeff gerstmann" who is actually better than a youtube sperg but is desperately wrong about the negative value of yoshis island

sonic the hedgehog has always loving sucked tho and that guy who said snes > sega was right

mario > sonic
final fantasy > phantasy star
zelda > beyond oasis?
super metroid > uh "bob" aka "bucket of bolts"??? does gunstar heroes count? i don't know, there are no games as good as super metroid on the sega genesis

was with you until

superior controller means superior versions of all fighting games, superior version of aladdin due to better color and the lack of swordfighting based gameplay (aladdin doesn't kill people he's a good guy), etc etc etc

these are spectacularly wrong opinions, even today controller companies make knockoff sega 6-buttons for fighting games & the sega aladdin actually involved disney animators and artists thus rendering your point moot

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody with a sega had all the sonic games to hold a place on the shelf for Mutant League Football even though it would never leave the genesis.

E:Mario Sunshine wasn't classic Mario but it was a loving great game

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Genesis had the best Castlevania installment in the series.

And Road Rash.

And Super Mario World's music sucked.

EmperorFritoBandito fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 15, 2015

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Toejam & Earl > [entire SNES catalog]

There argument solved

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

probably the best console controller ever, imho

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The Whole Internet posted:

-i think the genesis had the better soundcard. it was less powerful but the chiptunes it produced were cooler sounding anyway.

Genesis sounded great when done right. The synthesis it produces sounds a lot like a Yamaha DX7, which is no coincidence since the sound chip is made by Yamaha, both FM synthesizers.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

powerofrecall posted:

these are spectacularly wrong opinions, even today controller companies make knockoff sega 6-buttons for fighting games & the sega aladdin actually involved disney animators and artists thus rendering your point moot

Who actually had this? Barely anyone. The regular Genesis controller had as many input options as the NES controller. SNES came with four extra buttons, two of them on the right, and the invention of the shoulder buttons.

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

And Super Mario World's music sucked.

gently caress you, moron

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

numberoneposter posted:

i beat spinball it was better than the other games IMO, more of a puzzle that push right to win

also remeber that nintendos answere to sonic was a unicycle racing game, sooo i dunno if thats a pro or a con

I liked it but my mom kept calling it "Uteruses"

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

gently caress you, moron

Oh, sure, like it's my fault.

Dec 26, 2012

Oh, sure, like it's my fault.

the music was good so its definitely your fault that you dont like it

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Genesis sounded great when done right. The synthesis it produces sounds a lot like a Yamaha DX7, which is no coincidence since the sound chip is made by Yamaha, both FM synthesizers.

Basically my whole youtube channel is devoted to this

https://www.youtube.com/user/DUSTINODELLOFFICIAL/videos

where I really dork out about it, making recordings from the real machine etc

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

powerofrecall posted:

Basically my whole youtube channel is devoted to this

https://www.youtube.com/user/DUSTINODELLOFFICIAL/videos

where I really dork out about it, making recordings from the real machine etc

Geez, that looks like a lot of effort. Anyway, good job. :)

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

01011001 posted:

the music was good

It was very bashful-sounding and repressed, like a man trying to hold in a fart at a job interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

It was very bashful-sounding and repressed, like a man trying to hold in a fart at a job interview.

That is a very interesting opinion I'm sure not a lot of people would agree with!

• Locked thread