Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There a deadline for this? I still might like to take a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Flesnolk posted:

There a deadline for this? I still might like to take a shot.

Do it, man. stuff the courthouse. BRING ME FIRE.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
Thanks to this fantastic LP, I bought State of Decay on Steam sale. I do not regret a single second of it. This game is so much fun and the atmosphere can be downright dreadful at times. It's odd because sometimes there are dry spots where there are no missions or side quests and suddenly a truckload of 'em pop up. Not complaining though, since they're all fun. Wouldn't have bought this game if not for the LP.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Skippy Granola posted:

Do it, man. stuff the courthouse. BRING ME FIRE.

I meant the audio file thing, sadly I do not have State of Decay. Might see about picking it up in the steam sale though, if my laptop can run it, but hell if I have anything that could record it.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

skoolmunkee posted:

Meanwhile, I would like you guys to contribute again! Please send me a short audio file (up to 2 minutes) recounting something from the zombie apocalypse. What was the worst part for you? Did you see something amazing? Any lessons learned? Did it change you? The grossest thing you had to eat? Where did you poop? How many zombie movie cliches did you experience?

drat. I'm usually very much interested in recording my own voice (despite the fact that I'm a non-native speaker with a Frankenstein of an accent), but I'm not a zombiophile, so I kind of felt like it's not my cup of... er, coffee? Well, with these preliminaries out of the way, I guess I'll try something. No promises on quality, although I'll only send it if it has some degree of thematic appropriateness.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Yeah absolutely, it was more of a standing invitation!

It doesn't have to be serious or anything! You could just record yourself saying "the worst thing about the zombie apocalypse is all the zombies" in a Groucho Marx voice if you wanted to. :3:

I didn't want to explain too much in case I put ideas in your heads, but I guess what I was thinking of was how his other book, world war z, is a collection of fictional interviews with people sort of looking back on the war and telling their stories and perspectives. His book is very serious though, like how the space station astronauts managed, or how there was a program developed to train dogs to help fight, and stuff.

I was just thinking it'd be kinda cool if we could manage a dorky lp nerds version of that :3: like a mouth breather saying the worst thing was how they don't make Cheetos and Mountain Dew anymore and he will never know if he would win in a hearthstone battle against his higher ranked nemesis. Does that sound more fun and interesting? You int even gotta be a zombie person!

Gosh my post earlier really did make it sound like I was looking for something else, didn't it? Oops!

Ok if that sounds interesting maybe we could make it a thing, and if I get some I can put them in an update together with some suitable gameplay video in the background. :3 we've got like 2/3 of the way through the plot so there's some videos left, and I'll be doing breakdown and lifeline too. Do you guys want a deadline though? Sometimes it helps to have a date you can work to? If you just wanna send text instead of an audio file I can bother my pals to record it for you.

Also I swear I am working on the update, right now, and I'm expecting to be able to upload it tonight (late for me tho). I've been super busy at work this month working really long days sometimes and just couldn't get it together for video editing. I've got 3 weeks off now though, and I got all caught up on naps, so I have time and energy for my dumb hobbies now. :3: thanks for hangin in there for me!

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Not sure why but I sent a few dumb clips recorded with a bad mic. Great LP, by the way.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Yay two people sent me things today! They are great. :3:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I am so, so sorry for my contribution, I'm not in the best place for recording, nor for thinking up anything to say, but hopefully it won't be too horrendous.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Okay, this episode ran a little long for me to use anyone's submissions in it (plus I was mostly done with it already). I will start using them in the next update!

Meanwhile I'm sorry it took me a month to get this out, but whatever, here it is now. Thanks for watching/enjoying and I hope everyone has a nice holiday!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The website exists if you type it in correctly. And it's a pro-click.

I always make it a point to keep looking after I've found whatever I'm looking for just so it was never in the last place I looked. I am determined not to follow the world's stupid rules.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

the man

the legend

the chilichongadog on a stick aficionado

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I've said it before, but holy crap I don't know how your game gets to be so broken, skoolmunkee. :allears:

:barf: After being surprised to find that it was a thing that actually existed, I had my first chimichanga a couple of years ago. The first half of it was good... but never again. This chili chonga thing looks so much worse.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I am totally going to make one of those.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Omar Coronado's parking job was just legendary. If everyone parked like that they'd save so much space in parking lots!

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

quote:

Why would I intentionally eat one?

Well, we all gotta go sometime and this is better than most of the other ways.

This is my exact reasoning for eating takeout at all. I like these guys.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I'm kinda sad I haven't discovered this thread before now. Binged it over the course of two days and had a blast. You almost make the game seem like something I might enjoy, but I'm a little put off that the stuff still goes on in the game even when you're not playing. I don't get much time to play video games due to work. So I can't really commit to something that would punish me for not being able to play for a while.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It doesnt really punish you, no more than 2 ingame days can pass and you probably end up with more materials etc than before thanks to the outpost resources.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Well...

I call this "A variation on 'The Caballo Justice' for a confusing palette and a photoshop filter."

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

supermikhail posted:

Well...

I call this "A variation on 'The Caballo Justice' for a confusing palette and a photoshop filter."

Aaaah fantastic! :3: Thank you so much! It's lovely to get fan art, but fan art specific to the goofy antics in my LP is extra special. The wheel flying towards the viewer is a nice touch. I can't wait to blow up those cars in the courthouse now! May I please put it in the OP???

New update!

Lots of gun talk in this one, I'm probably wrong about a number of gun things, like probably it's just Breakdown where the gun is super heavy. But I don't care. I don't know why there's 100 guns in this game. I guess once they're modeled it's pretty easy to just stick them in? My being wrong about stuff gives you topics of conversation!

People are still welcome to send me recordings, or text to be recorded! I've got a couple more I'll be putting in, but there will be lots of room for more since I'm gonna do some breakdown videos and stuff too.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 6, 2015

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Being an Australian computer nerd, I only know about guns and ammo to the extent that I do because of the gun/ammo-related game mods I've made, but:

5.56x45mm (and I think people do usually call it "five-five-six") is narrower but longer than 9x19mm (which people usually just call "9mm"). Well, that describes the bullet itself; the casing for a 5.56mm is actually around 9mm in diameter and a lot longer than the casing for a 9x19mm.

So yeah, 5.56mm is a bigger round.

I don't know why there are so many different guns in State of Decay either. I was surprised. There are a lot of guns. They use one-size-fits-all animations and you don't see them up too close though, so I guess it wasn't too much work to make a lot of variants since they're not very detailed.

Also, this is a 'flame fougasse' - but apparently a 'fougasse' is also a kind of French bread.

Anyway, so have they fixed that thing where the Wilkersons would stop having guns and stuff in their locker once you finish their quest-line, then? That was always annoying.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Eh... I read the Strain. It really ain't all that good - and this is coming from a guy who REALLY likes Del Toro's stuff. Also, I'm kinda surprised that that is in the game, since the strain isn't about zombies, but about vampires.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Generally, "5.56" is just pronounced "five fifty-six". Besides 7.62mm, the M1 Garand can also use .30.06 Springfield rounds which oddly enough is often referred to as "thirty-aught-six".

Antistar01 posted:

I don't know why there are so many different guns in State of Decay either. I was surprised. There are a lot of guns. They use one-size-fits-all animations and you don't see them up too close though, so I guess it wasn't too much work to make a lot of variants since they're not very detailed.

Fun in variety I would assume! If anything it kind of reminds me of Hitman: Blood Money where there are a lot of guns, but they all generally use the same HUD icon depending on what weapon type they are and most of them are just generic shoot-fasty automatics. I think it's sort of true for a lot of third person action games where animations can just be recycled since you're not really looking at the gun up close to notice anyway.

Nuckelavee
Feb 25, 2014

Captain Sheepy posted:

Generally, "5.56" is just pronounced "five fifty-six". Besides 7.62mm, the M1 Garand can also use .30.06 Springfield rounds which oddly enough is often referred to as "thirty-aught-six".

The "Thirty-aught-six" refers to both the round's calibre family (.30). As well as the year it was brought into service by the US Army (1906).

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The Strain was also made into a television series last year. Unfortunately not directed by del Toro.
The book is quite good, but if you read it you shouldn't expect the same feel as in del Toro's films since it's quite different.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

skoolmunkee posted:

Aaaah fantastic! :3: Thank you so much! It's lovely to get fan art, but fan art specific to the goofy antics in my LP is extra special. The wheel flying towards the viewer is a nice touch. I can't wait to blow up those cars in the courthouse now! May I please put it in the OP???

Aw. You're two too kind. I would be absolutely delighted if you added my creation to the OP.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I caved and bought the game. This is the first thread to make me do so. I'd curse you skoolmunkee, but I'm too busy stomping zombie heads.

Yoake
Sep 13, 2011

Just caught up on the LP having never heard of State of Decay and I have some thoughts about recent events. This is the truth as I understand it pertaining to the origins of Omar Coronado.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i mean, have we seen Ed and Omar in the same room together???? :tinfoil:

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Yoake posted:

Just caught up on the LP having never heard of State of Decay and I have some thoughts about recent events. This is the truth as I understand it pertaining to the origins of Omar Coronado.

Haha, that's pretty good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"No, Ed, you are the Omar."

And then Ed was the Omar.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Woah this plot is thickening faster than a well-turned bisque. I can't wait to see what happens next.

It's like Fright Club and Ed's got his own Omar Durden.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Aaa that theory is so perfect! Ed just can't handle society's breakdown... Accountancy is always the first profession to go. But Omar... Omar can handle it.

That is a brilliant and funny comic, thank you! I'm gonna put it in the OP too, next update. :3:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, those closing narrations seem like they're going to be beautiful. Well done readers of the goonpocalypse.

Also it seemed kind of a shame that you got your troll experience out of the way so early in the video. It was pretty choice, but then I was all "what do I have to look forward to?"

Well, trucks standing on their noses. That's a thing to look forward to.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
So, I made a thing.

A delicious, delicious thing.

Okay, so it's not 100% to the Chilichongadogonastick because I didn't have corndogs. Still, it was a success!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's everything I imagined it to be. (:barf:)

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Just looking at that masterpiece is enough to make me feel just a bit nauseous. How did you even make that?

I think this thread is in dire need of an authentic Chilichongadogonastick recipe.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Oh god it's even worse when I expand the thumbnail. All that glistening grease.

Bud I want a trip report on your bowel movement following that monstrosity.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I

don't know what to say

Thank you, friend, for your scientific experiments. You have advanced LPkind. If you survive digestion, you will be a hero. (If you die you will be a martyr.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

skoolmunkee posted:

I

don't know what to say

Thank you, friend, for your scientific experiments. You have advanced LPkind. If you survive digestion, you will be a hero. (When it kills you you will be a martyr.)

Fixed that for you.

• Locked thread