Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

let the grown ups discuss things that you don't know about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
healthcare's not that bad dude. you should try it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

JB50 posted:

Sorry I dont need the govt to give me healtcare.
Good for you. You're not really the one public healthcare is trying to address, if you're opposed to the concept of public healthcare altogether (obamacare is a different beast).

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dolphin posted:

healthcare's not that bad dude. you should try it.

Every job Ive had for the past 23 years has offered health insurance.

So Im fine thanks for your concern.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

Sorry I dont need the govt to give me healtcare.

that's cool brah I don't either as long as I keep getting it from private insurance companies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JB50 posted:

a majority of the shittier jobs don't offer good health insurance.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

190 million+ for a website and thats only one state.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

etalian posted:

a majority of the shittier jobs don't offer good health insurance.
Well they should just get a "real" job then.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

States are more competent and better run than federal agencies.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JB50 posted:

being a dependent in your parent's basement isn't a job dude.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dolphin posted:

being a dependent in your parent's basement isn't a job dude.

Haha basement joke, thats fresh.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JB50 posted:

Haha basement joke, thats fresh.
much like your posting :D

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

1500quidporsche posted:

Does somebody have a PDF of a typical plan? I'd be curious to see what they actually cover. $400/month with a $2k deductible sounds ridiculous even factoring in you guys needing to pay to see a doctor.

lol I work in pharma. I pay $400/mo for a 3.5k deductable.

america.txt

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

JB50 posted:

I already had insurance because I have a real job.
Although this is a joke post, I need to say: Why should private companies be responsible for paying for the health insurance of employees? Why isn't that just taken care of?

In fact, why don't we just create the largest possible pool of people in this health insurance system, so that the average payouts of healthy people to cover people with medical needs are as low as possible? Has someone come up with a name for this type of system?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I easily make an income below the poverty level and I've basically ignored the fact that health insurance exists. I don't have it in any form, and haven't even investigated getting it before or after Obamacare coming into being. I just don't give a poo poo because I know the whole system is hosed and probably just wants to rip me off. I'm still young and healthy and if I have some minor infection or it's time to get my ears drained again or something the local clinic doesn't charge me more than like $50 for anything because I'm poor as poo poo.

I'm not joking when I say that if I ever have some serious health problem or injury that racks up huge medical bills my plan is simply to skip town and ignore them.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Because insurance companies had a shitfit when Truman tried to institute public healthcare and instead we got HMOs. America is like Russia in that it has a bad habit of getting on really high notes and then screwing itself over just when it seems like it might turn a corner.

plus it's illegal for the US to negotiate w/ pharma, unlike the rest of the world, so Americans get to subsidize everyone else's cheaper drugs.

you're welcome, world.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Prettz posted:

Although this is a joke post, I need to say: Why should private companies be responsible for paying for the health insurance of employees? Why isn't that just taken care of?

In fact, why don't we just create the largest possible pool of people in this health insurance system, so that the average payouts of healthy people to cover people with medical needs are as low as possible? Has someone come up with a name for this type of system?

yeah communism.

have some more borscht comrad

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

JB50 posted:

You obviously haven't gotten sick. You still have to pay a lot of money when you use it. Health insurance just make is slightly less likely that you will have to claim bankruptcy.

Try it out. Go to the ER right now and say that you are having chest pains. You will be there for about 1.5 hours(depending on how busy the hospital is) You'll have to pay $75 after you are treated, and you'll think your insurance is the poo poo. Then you'll get $700 - $1200 in bills a week later.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah communism.

have some more borscht comrad
Sorry, but your post reminded me of this thing

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Prettz posted:

Sorry, but your post reminded me of this thing

lol nixon would be called a RINO today

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

Reagan literally IS a RINO today.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

You obviously haven't gotten sick. You still have to pay a lot of money when you use it. Health insurance just make is slightly less likely that you will have to claim bankruptcy.

Try it out. Go to the ER right now and say that you are having chest pains. You will be there for about 1.5 hours(depending on how busy the hospital is) You'll have to pay $75 after you are treated, and you'll think your insurance is the poo poo. Then you'll get $700 - $1200 in bills a week later.

Ive actually had weird chest pains before, but instead of ER I scheduled an appt with the Dr. and they hooked up this chest monitor thing to me which I wore for a day. They checked out the results and said everything looked fine and I was on my way. Guess what, my insurance covered it.

Lifehack: Dont go to the ER unless youre dying, Dr appts are much cheaper.

I did have to pay $15 when I saw the Dr. though.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 16, 2015

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

Thomas Jefferson and Lincoln would be called RINOs.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Thomas Jefferson and Lincoln would be called RINOs.
Both Thomas Jefferson and Adam Smith were literal Marxists

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

Ive actually had weird chest pains before, but instead of ER I scheduled an appt with the Dr. and they hooked up this chest monitor thing to me which I wore for a day. They checked out the results and said everything looked fine and I was on my way. Guess what, my insurance covered it.

I've never had to go to the ER, therefor

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Did you know that Thomas Jefferson was in favor of public schooling!?!?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I've never had to go to the ER, therefor

My son went to the ER because he hit a tree while sledding and suffered a lacerated liver and fractured ribs.

450 for ambulance and 25 for the ER.

therefor

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

My son went to the ER because he hit a tree while sledding and suffered a lacerated liver and fractured ribs.

Hey cool that's about how much it would be for me too since I get insurance through a private company just like you!

see really we're all the same peace and love brah

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JB50 posted:

therefor
congratulations on having excellent insurance to compensate for your retarded son.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dolphin posted:

congratulations on having excellent insurance to compensate for your retarded son.

My loving parents were watching him at the time. I love my retarded son.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Jose Oquendo posted:

This. Maybe i'm mistaken, but from what I've looked at, the Affordable Care act doesn't do a drat thing for the middle class so their insurance premiums will continue to go through the roof. You aren't going to see lower health care costs at all despite the promises made.

rates are increasing at a slower rate (that's the second derivative which you would know if you werent a poor obamabot) which is what it was supposed to do

baw
Nov 5, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

nixon basically left domestic policy up to congress as he felt that the president's real responsibility was foreign policy

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

JB50 posted:

actual lifehack get a fake id medicare card for 250 dollars and never pay health bills again

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

baw posted:

nixon basically left domestic policy up to congress as he felt that the president's real responsibility was foreign policy
It's more than though. The domestic policies of Coolidge through Ike through Nixon are worlds apart from the domestic policies of Ronald Reagan, not even modern Republicans, especially the latter two.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

there has never been a TRUE conservative president

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

BTW have fun never getting a job that offers medical coverage anymore thanks to Obamacare.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
another pro tip

go to canada on on one of their smaller islands you can get a job without identification

never leave

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Top City Homo posted:

another pro tip

go to canada on on one of their smaller islands you can get a job without identification

never leave

Say eh a lot and order poutine to blend in.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

JB50 posted:

BTW have fun never getting a job that offers medical coverage anymore thanks to Obamacare.

I got a job after Obamacare came out and it came with insurance, medical/dental/vision

Hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

baw posted:

there has never been a TRUE conservative president
well yeah, but for most of the 20th century the Republican party had been the party for doves and limitation of the military, at least ideologically. Wilson, FDR, and Kennedy/LBJ were the ones that went out on expansive military campaigns and the Coolidges and Ikes stayed at home and went for covert ops, not including Nixon of course (although he was the guy who got elected on the position of pulling us out of Vietnam).Reagan changed that dynamic and now the Republican party is suffering from schizophrenia in trying to cut government yet expand the military and get involved in more wars.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jan 16, 2015

• Locked thread