Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I remember being cautiously optimistic about Roberts in 2013 after the Obamacare ruling the year before. And then Shelby County happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I feel like Roberts is totally OK with being an awful douche, unless he knows a ruling will be both (a) historic, and (b) he doesn't have the votes for the vile outcome. In these cases he switches to the "good" side so that his appearance in 22nd-century high school textbooks will be even more masturbatory than it would be otherwise.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Freudian posted:

I remember being cautiously optimistic about Roberts in 2013 after the Obamacare ruling the year before. And then Shelby County happened.

Not a lawyer but it looks to me like cert was granted there for a very limited question. The one they're examining here is way more broad it seems, and if Roberts is concerned with his ~~legacy~~ I don't see him having a good way to duck out of this decision.

but at least that's what my set of tea leaves reads :shobon:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I think we can all agree that the best outcome is a surprise Scalia-authored unanimous ruling for the plaintiffs in which he quotes his previous dissent and then blows his brains out in a Bud Dwyer style press conference. Right?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bring on the apocalypse!!

AFA edition!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
I just don't think Robert's vote matters much at all, let's pretend for a moment Scalia got his way, it would basically leave tens of thousands of marriages in legal limbo, a patchwork of widely divergent marriage laws and recognition between the states and federal government and there isn't even a major opposition to nationwide gay marriage.

Roberts might swing either way but deep down I'm sure he knows that that would be a completely untenable situation regardless of how he feels personally about the issue, if by some insanity Kennedy wasn't the 5th vote Robert would know that just from a practical standpoint overruling the circuit courts at this point would be disastrous and serve no legitimate public interest.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

AFA edition!

If God was really that pissy about sin you think he would have done something about all the fat people in the US by now.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

AFA edition!

Gonna enjoy linking this song a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
🎵Oh!🎵
🎵It's The End Of The World As We Know It 🎵
🎵And I Feel Fine🎵
:toot:
I'm still gonna post a shitload of Gay Marriage pics from my awesome hometown of San Antonio, because once (mandatory) gay marriage comes down, we're diving in headfirst.:getin:

San Antonio, bastion of Awesomeness posted:

Republican Bexar County Clerk Gerard C. “Gerry” Rickhoff said in addition to keeping his office open ’round-the-clock, he’s considering setting up tables in Main Plaza to accommodate same-sex couples. Rickhoff said he’s also lined up district judges to waive a 72-hour waiting period before ceremonies can occur, as well as officiants to conduct them.

“There’s a pent-up demand to stop these civil rights violations that are pretty evident,” Rickhoff said. “I would imagine they’ll be driving into San Antonio in droves, and that’s what we’re prepared for. Nobody will be turned away. We’ll work until there’s nobody left.”

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 17, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

fade5 posted:

I'm still gonna post a shitload of Gay Marriage pics from my awesome hometown of San Antonio, because once (mandatory) gay marriage comes down, we're diving in headfirst.:getin:

Didn't we goon out over Rickhoff a few weeks ago too? Seems like a cool dude :clint:

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

AFA edition!

Can it be Ragnarok? That one is way more :black101: then the biblical end times.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

gatesealer posted:

Can it be Ragnarok? That one is way more :black101: then the biblical end times.

I dunno, Revelation gets pretty drat trippy.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, Revelation gets pretty drat trippy.

Sure, but on the other hand with Ragnarok you have multiple gods dying and everything ending.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

VitalSigns posted:

This is my favorite part. His wife led a campaign to put thousands of gay people out of a job and out on the street just for existing, barring them completely from their careers, but that's okay because they're icky. But when gay people organize a boycott against the products she endorses, oh well those people are so mean and horrible, that's just not fair.

It's even worse than that. At one point during the "Save Our Children" campaign she lobbied the legislature to increase the criminal penalty for homosexuality, already a misdemeanor at the time, back to the previous penalty of a felony with a potential for as much as 20 years of prison time.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

MaxxBot posted:

It's even worse than that. At one point during the "Save Our Children" campaign she lobbied the legislature to increase the criminal penalty for homosexuality, already a misdemeanor at the time, back to the previous penalty of a felony with a potential for as much as 20 years of prison time.

It's easy to ge confused what with her constant stereotypical conservative whining about how "they don't want to persecute" homosexuals. It's amazing how far back that smokescreen was used, and the insanity of someone pushing jail sentences saying it with a straight face.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No no see she only wants to jail them to keep them away from our precious children. That's not persecution: you wouldn't call imprisoning rapists or murderers persecution, would you?

Persecution is when you do something bad to someone who doesn't deserve it, like when you don't let a Christian superintendent go on a witch hunt for lesbian teachers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AFA edition!

Yeah, gay marriage will be the tipping point. None if that other sinful stuff.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, gay marriage will be the tipping point. None if that other sinful stuff.

Seriously, I wish we were a country where COURT-MANDATED HOMOSEX is like the most alarming thing about us

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gatesealer posted:

So how do we think this will go? Are we looking at 5-4 in favor of SSM? Who do we think will be the important vote and why? I am curious as my knowledge of the supreme court is not great.

By far the most likely decision is 5-4 (with Kennedy as the deciding vote) in favor of marriage equality. It's possible, though extremely unlikely, that Roberts or Kennedy flips. However if Roberts wanted to flip he had his chance previously and I don't see what would change now, and I can't see Kennedy, given his career of writing every major gay rights decision, voting against marriage equality.

Basically anything other than the 5-4 in favor decision would be a huge surprise.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Master troll Scalia authors the 6-3 majority, citing his own dissents in Lawrence and Windsor, and concluding with a smug flourish that legalizing marriage was his secret plan all along.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Does the fact that it's the one dissenting circuit court that's getting reviewed mean much? Was it just the only one up for appeal just now, or should it be read as that one, specifically, being more likely to be reversed than the previously dismissed circuit court cases?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ZeeToo posted:

Does the fact that it's the one dissenting circuit court that's getting reviewed mean much? Was it just the only one up for appeal just now, or should it be read as that one, specifically, being more likely to be reversed than the previously dismissed circuit court cases?

Basically, the Sixth Circuit created a circuit split by concern trolling about Baker v. Nelson, and there was no way the Supreme Court was going to punt as a result.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Didn't we goon out over Rickhoff a few weeks ago too? Seems like a cool dude :clint:
Yes we did (because Rickhoff is one of the almost-extinct "good, non-insane Republicans"), and yes he is cool dude.

Also it's really telling that rather than hoping for some sort of upset or a final showdown, most/all of the anti-Gay Marriage assholes are adopting a "welp, this is the end, the US is hosed" attitude. Even they know the Supreme Court ruling in June is gonna be legal Gay Marriage nationwide, with the only question being if the ruling is 5-4 or 6-3 in favor.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I could see 6-3 with Roberts not wanting to join a sinking ship and by being chief justice, assigning the opinion to himself to write it as narrowly as possible

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ReidRansom posted:

Probably hinges on Roberts and Kennedy.

I can't imagine how Kennedy could be against it. Even if it went with that dumb States Rights quip quoted earlier it'd still be outright discrimination and extremely illegal so the twisting to validate it would be something to behold.

Roberts, OTOH, I could see flipping just so he gets to write the decision (narrowly as possible) instead of letting Kennedy write yet another decision that sides with gays.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I could see 6-3 with Roberts not wanting to join a sinking ship and by being chief justice, assigning the opinion to himself to write it as narrowly as possible

While he could write a narrow opinion, and it's 6-3, the four liberal justices could just not sign off on it and write their own/sign on to Kennedy, making that the majority opinion and making Roberts' the concurring.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have to wonder, though, what if this doesn't pass? Would it just be bouncing things back to a state by state basis, or is it possible that the SCOTUS might make a decision that gay marriage is entirely illegal in the country?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

What narrowing could he do? It's the end of the line, either the 14th requires marriage equality or it doesn't. There's not really anything to decide beyond that.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

evilweasel posted:

What narrowing could he do? It's the end of the line, either the 14th requires marriage equality or it doesn't. There's not really anything to decide beyond that.

Are laws restricting marriage subject to scrutiny, or laws restricting the rights of people based on sexual orientation? What level of scrutiny? I'm just a layperson, but those seem like important elements of the court's reasoning, and up for grabs here.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Cythereal posted:

I have to wonder, though, what if this doesn't pass? Would it just be bouncing things back to a state by state basis, or is it possible that the SCOTUS might make a decision that gay marriage is entirely illegal in the country?

Well several states have legalized gay marriage legislatively so the SCOTUS wouldn't overturn those, they could overturn the district court decisions that the SCOTUS already let stays expire on which thousands of gay marriages have already commenced under. Seriously, overturning the district courts at this point would be such a clusterfuck that it is pretty much inconceivable.

I think worst, worst case is a ruling that says that states have to recognize all gay marriages that have legally commenced out of state or in-state by court order but they are not obligated to perform gay marriages. Which would be an idiotic ruling but there are other relatively minor discrepancies in marriage law between states (Cousins, etc) that could give them a minor out. A stupid one, one that makes no major practical difference besides possibly being a undue burden on gay couples but it's the only way that I could see them rolling things back at all without complete legal mayhem.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

evilweasel posted:

*twenty pages of old man grumbling*
"The case against icky gays marrying doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. THERE, I SAID IT."
*twenty more pages of old man grumbling.*

Meanwhile Scalia keeps his Dissent as simple as possible to keep from getting trolled again:
"BAH! HUMBUG!"

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

evilweasel posted:

A narrow ruling means equal marriage, a broad ruling could lead to protected class/group status.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The grant of cert literally says that the Court has been asked the question of whether same-sex marriage is a fundamental right under the 14th Amendment and it will answer that, and Kennedy's opinions going as far back as Lawrence say that there's no viable argument against SSM under 14th Amendment grounds -- and the 14th is incorporated against the states. There is absolutely no room for the Chief Justice to narrow the opinion, the question before the Court is a binary yes / no question.

Pasco posted:

A narrow ruling means equal marriage, a broad ruling could lead to protected class/group status.

Kennedy, for as much as he has done to advance gay rights over the past few decades, does not appear to have any interest in establishing homosexuality as a suspect class. His tact in this opinion is almost certainly going to be along the lines of saying that SSM bans fail rational basis review, and he'll cite the 14th -- I fully expect his opinion to cite large portions of Judge Daugherty's dissent in the Sixth Circuit ruling.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 17, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

fade5 posted:

Gonna enjoy linking this song a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY
🎵Oh!🎵
🎵And I Feel Fine🎵
:toot:

thanks for posting the lyrics for all 2 people in this thread who have never heard the song.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

forbidden lesbian posted:

thanks for posting the lyrics for all 2 people in this thread who have never heard the song.
Yeah, I did it as a dumb way to label the link.:v:

I try to label any Youtube link I make, since I have a personal tendency to avoid clicking on random, no-description Youtube links. It's partially because I hang around in the Middle East thread, and you absolutely do not want to start randomly clicking on unlabeled Youtube links in that thread. Or sometimes even labeled Youtube links.:gonk:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ilyashapiro/2015/01/17/did-supreme-court-telegraph-its-ultimate-ruling-on-gay-marriage/

Here's a Forbes article. Seems the author thinks the questions SCOTUS agreed to indicates they're likely to let states do what they want while dodging questions about scrutiny. It's Forbes so I take it with a grain of salt.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Atoramos posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ilyashapiro/2015/01/17/did-supreme-court-telegraph-its-ultimate-ruling-on-gay-marriage/

Here's a Forbes article. Seems the author thinks the questions SCOTUS agreed to indicates they're likely to let states do what they want while dodging questions about scrutiny. It's Forbes so I take it with a grain of salt.

That would be really irresponsible of scotus

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atoramos posted:

It's Forbes so I take it with a grain of salt.

It's an external blogger who "contributes" to Forbes -- not an article by Forbes' editorial staff.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm highly skeptical that Kennedy would destroy the legacy he spent 19 years building, with probably too little time left in his career to really cement a new one other than his other current legacy of being a pro-corporate shill.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't imagine how Kennedy could be against it. Even if it went with that dumb States Rights quip quoted earlier it'd still be outright discrimination and extremely illegal so the twisting to validate it would be something to behold.

Roberts, OTOH, I could see flipping just so he gets to write the decision (narrowly as possible) instead of letting Kennedy write yet another decision that sides with gays.

If the outcome is 'legal gay marriage in the US', how could he write that 'narrowly'? I mean, they either legalize it in all fifty states, or they don't, right?. What shade of grey am I missing here?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

richardfun posted:

If the outcome is 'legal gay marriage in the US', how could he write that 'narrowly'? I mean, they either legalize it in all fifty states, or they don't, right?. What shade of grey am I missing here?

It's always possible they could rule that states have to recognise same sex marriages carried out elsewhere, but don't actually have to perform the ceremonies themselves. Make it a strict contract recognition thing instead of recognising and rights against discrimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Senor Tron posted:

It's always possible they could rule that states have to recognise same sex marriages carried out elsewhere, but don't actually have to perform the ceremonies themselves. Make it a strict contract recognition thing instead of recognising and rights against discrimination.

That's basically how it works already. States only recognize marriages for taxes and a few legal matters like adoption. Marriages are handled at the county level, usually at the register of deeds or county clerk's office.

• Locked thread