Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Tip for new players: Dont do elf

Also be very scared if you see someone called mara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

My biggest problem when I was starting out (and even still) is that I'd rush through things and die with five potions of heal wounds that I'd completely forgotten about. Whenever you're in a tight spot, go through all your consumables and see if any of them might help.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

vOv posted:

My biggest problem when I was starting out (and even still) is that I'd rush through things and die with five potions of heal wounds that I'd completely forgotten about. Whenever you're in a tight spot, go through all your consumables and see if any of them might help.

picking a weaker starting combo helps you get better at this because you end up in a lovely spot constantly. With a minotaur you might press o and tab for 5 minutes before anything dangerous shows up.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.
code:
Warning: Crawl encountered errors during startup:

No translations for language: grunt
Did... did someone remove grunt? :gonk:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

vOv posted:

As an addendum to this, when you think you might be in trouble slow down as much as you can before doing anything. I think there's an instinct to speed up when you're running away from something, but you have to fight this and take it a step at a time.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Slaapaav posted:

picking a weaker starting combo helps you get better at this because you end up in a lovely spot constantly. With a minotaur you might press o and tab for 5 minutes before anything dangerous shows up.

My first ascension was with SpAK, you have several layers of safety for "oh poo poo" moments, but it also required good knowledge of how to use everything you find. Coincidentally, I also had an experienced Crawler coaching me whenever I was stuck, which helped a lot :shobon:

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Also this is a reminder that caustic shrikes are still bullshit and Lasty is an incompetent muppet of a developer.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
My HOAr just got abyssed on Elf 3. Is he strong enough to go for the abyss rune or should I hold off? I don't think he has any glaring weaknesses, but then there's Crawl.

http://pastebin.com/8Zhxj4nh

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

protomexican posted:

Is he strong enough to go for the abyss rune or should I hold off?
Weapon's iffy, but everything else, I think you can probably pull it off.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Davzz posted:

Weapon's iffy, but everything else, I think you can probably pull it off.
21 evocations is enough to summon kaschei to defend a Rod of Striking.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It's like a +8 demon whip or so while the charges last!!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
If you are strong (stupid) enough to do elf then you should be just fine in the abyss

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Don't move towards enemies, especially enemies standing near unexplored territory. Let enemies come to you. If you run into something with a ranged attack, duck around a corner and let it approach you from out of your line of sight. Enemies that can't see you, can't attack you. Try to explore so that you always have a corridor or a corner to run back to so you can avoid being caught in the open by ranged attackers.

Prioritize offense over defense. Defenses are inherently unreliable. Even if you have 40 AC, your armor can still crap out and only prevent 1 damage when a giant throws a rock at you. Killing things faster prevents more damage than higher defensive stats. That doesn't mean defense isn't important. It is very important, just not as important as kill speed.

These are the really crucial points. Doesn't matter what your race/class combo is if you consistently get surrounded by jackals/orcs/yaks and pummeled, or charge forward to fight Jessica, and discover Sigmund and Grinder are right there. Play cautiously, and remember that the game is turn-based: stop and think things through when you're in a bad situation, maybe even save, quit, and come back in a little bit.

As Heithinn says, Offense over Defense. Improve your "kill dudes" skill before your "don't die skills." When to switch between leveling what skill is something that comes from experience and I'm still figuring it out myself, but the basic is "Weapon skill to min. delay (0.7)" and "spell skill to put your main kill-spell at high spellpower".

Also, don't give up and always try again.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

I think I found a bug in trunk with Ru. I was training Evocations and then sacrificed artifice which sets evo to 0 and stops letting me train it, but now it doesn't show up on the skills screen and I can't deselect it, so all of my exp is split between whatever I'm actually training and my non-existant evo category.

screenshot:

I have a wand in my inventory but I still can't deselect it. If I'm doing something dumb (aside from playing poorly) and there's an easy fix, let me know.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Try using a capital letter to put 100% into that skill? Like shift+a should put 100% into fighting.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

kaschei posted:

Try using a capital letter to put 100% into that skill? Like shift+a should put 100% into fighting.

That did the trick, thanks.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

rediscover posted:

i've been getting into this game the past couple days, and i'm really in over my head. do you guys have any tidbits that could help a newbie out? what race/class combos are good, mechanics, etc. i'm totally lost.
wrt newbie tips:

see where it says 'Base attack delay' and 'Minimum delay'? The higher your weapon skill, the faster you can attack with the weapon. Base delay is how fast you attack with no skill, and every 2 skill removes 0.1 delay. So, since this one is 1.0 base delay, 0.5 minimum delay, if I get 10 short blades skill my attack speed will be as fast as it can go(and hitting fast really really helps with putting out damage).

In case you're really really lost, when you hit m this pops up:

and then if you hit /, it switches from Auto to Manual so you can choose exactly where XP goes. If I hit shift+b for short blades, it will turn off everything but that so I can focus on training it up.

Also, armor has an encumbrance value. Don't wear armor if the encumbrance is higher than your strength.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

WereVolvo posted:

code:

This happened for buttbot language too. My guess is that the new language stacking broke something.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Haifisch posted:

This happened for buttbot language too. My guess is that the new language stacking broke something.

quote:

Support fakelang stacking

Move it to a separate option (fake_lang)...

pre:
fake_lang = <lang1>[,<lang2>[,...]]
        Set one or more fake languages, applied in the order provided (order
        does matter!) The same language can be set more than once, though it
        may not end up making much sense...

Options are: (dwarven|jagerkin|kraut|runes|wide|grunt|butt)
        Experiment to find out what they do!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, looks like you have to use fake_lang=butt

or in my current experiment... fake_lang=grunt,butt

Trying to optimize the silliness because multiple iterations of butt,grunt,butt,butt,butt will probably arse the server to DANG and back.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

PleasingFungus posted:

pre:

And now I feel stupid for putting this on mantis. :downs:

Reading is good, kids.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

rediscover posted:

do you guys have any tidbits that could help a newbie out?
Stop now!

If not then Troll-anything is fun for the first few levels. Just run face-first into things and they die.

Aside from that ignore all these "Good Players" and their berserkers. Conjurer is the best choice. Shoot everything from half way across the screen and learn to run. Eventually you get the giant screen-wiping spells and the game goes into easy mode.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
y - Kikubaaqudgha's Butt of Butt Souls

e:

hito fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 18, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Noise: Almost silent. :allears:

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

PleasingFungus posted:

pre:

I love you.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Crawl is rated M for Mature.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Crawl is rated B for Butts.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

WereVolvo posted:

code:

For even more fun, try "fake_lang = grunt, grunt, grunt, grunt".

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Not My Leg posted:

Related. Probably should just win with this OpMo but it feels like a waste when I can 2-shot orbs of fire. My main concern is that Chei + Statue Form is one of those combos that makes you absolutely unstoppable right up to the moment it makes you dead.

There are very few things that can actually suddenly kill you in one shot with Chei/Statue Form unless you're foolish enough to walk around with Hellfire as a present danger. Outside Hellfire I can't think of anything else that can instagib you. Even with Hellfire, you'll have about 300+ HP in statue form and should be fine as long as you stay topped off as you walk around.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

vOv fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 18, 2015

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Does AC mitigate pure elemental damage, like by frost clouds and bolts of fire and such?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

Does AC mitigate pure elemental damage, like by frost clouds and bolts of fire and such?

Pretty sure it only protects against Earth Magic.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

As Lawman 0 says, only Earth Magic takes into consideration your AC when calculating the damage dealt. This is why having a single pip of elemental resistance is important; it halves the potential damage (further pips reduce it to 1/3 and 1/5, respectively).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Pretty sure it only protects against Earth Magic.

No, it protects against basically everything.

e:

quote:

As Lawman 0 says, only Earth Magic takes into consideration your AC when calculating the damage dealt. This is why having a single pip of elemental resistance is important; it halves the potential damage (further pips reduce it to 1/3 and 1/5, respectively).

This also definitely isn't true. AC protects against bolt of fire, cold, fireball, etc.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Huh, you're right. Learned something new!

quote:

armour
1. AC reduces incoming damage from most sources by 1d(AC+1)-1. This occurs before resistances. This can reduce it to 0. You might still get poisoned, banished etc. though. Some electric attacks (such as shock, lightning bolt, electric eel blasts) only check half of your AC.
2. Torment, smite, and hellfire, electrocution, and a handful of other abilities/effects ignore AC. The only player-castable damage spells that ignore AC are freeze, refrigeration, sticky flame, static discharge, pain, vampiric draining, Olgreb's Toxic Radiance, ignite poison, and agony. Note that all of these spells also ignore EV.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I don't think clouds check AC. The rule-of-thumb I've heard works best (it still has a couple minor quibbles that I can't remember) is "if it checks EV, it checks AC."

edit: looking at that spell list I'm probably wrong

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

kaschei posted:

I don't think clouds check AC. The rule-of-thumb I've heard works best (it still has a couple minor quibbles that I can't remember) is "if it checks EV, it checks AC."

edit: looking at that spell list I'm probably wrong

I'm pretty sure which clouds may or may not check AC, depending on the cloud. You can look it up using the brand new ?/L command though!

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

The Mattybee posted:

Also this is a reminder that caustic shrikes are still bullshit and Lasty is an incompetent muppet of a developer.
I'm not a great player but I've been through Depths at least half a dozen times since they got added and still never even seen a caustic shrike. I think I saw a corpse once, with no idea what killed it. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
One of the Orc:4 shops in my offline run was a mimic. Rude, Crawl. Rude. :colbert:

• Locked thread