Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Welcome to hell.

Population: Kid-me, eternally howling in rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Yep. This dungeon is all kinds of awful. I think it's to make up for Borgan being easier. Especially the boss at the end.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Make sure you check the tapestry for the BEST BROMIDE EVER.

I have no strong memories about the dungeon as compared to the stuff immediately surrounding it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I don't remember it, but this dungeon looks pretty lovely.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
This dungeon is pretty much the only part of this game that I cannot stand. Didn't help that 13 year old me got his poo poo wrecked by the boss a bunch of times. :(

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Camel Pimp posted:

Borgan still floats. :effort:

Bring me that floating fat man, the Borgan!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Crowetron posted:

...another dungeon. Cool. Great.

:shepicide:

I begin to see why you wanted to let this thread die a slow, quiet death. Too bad for you that you have LOYAL FANS.

or something. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, look, it's an RPG. What are you going to do, NOT have dungeons?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Glazius posted:

Well, look, it's an RPG. What are you going to do, NOT have dungeons?

I'm pretty sure to make a JRPG of any kind, you need:

* a cave
* a sewer
* some sort of damage square dungeon (swamp or volcano will do)
* a boss rush
* at least two final boss forms

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

You forgot to mention teleporter mazes!

Oh.

Wait.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
The one big thing I don't think I've ever seen absent from a JRPG is the stereotypical Ancient Civilization That Was Far More Advanced And Awesome Than The Current One But Somehow Fell To Ruin Despite Obviously Being Wiser And Better Than The Schmucks Of Today.

Seriously, I just went and looked on the game collection on my shelf, and there's one of those in drat near every single one. I think the only exception is the real-world-based ones like Persona, and even that's debatable depending on what you believe about our world.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Out of everything named so far, I'm pretty sure the sewer and the teleporter maze are the only things that don't date back to Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I recall a teleporter maze in the first or second Ys game, so that's a pretty old gimmick too.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

Out of everything named so far, I'm pretty sure the sewer and the teleporter maze are the only things that don't date back to Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior.

If memory serves, wasn't there a teleporter maze in FF1? You know, the castle where you have to go to get a quest item for your class changes? Or maybe that was only in 8-Bit Theater, I'm not sure.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Bufuman posted:

If memory serves, wasn't there a teleporter maze in FF1? You know, the castle where you have to go to get a quest item for your class changes? Or maybe that was only in 8-Bit Theater, I'm not sure.

Yep, forgot about that one.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Oh, look, it's the dungeon that broke me as a child. :toot: Never seen anything past it!

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Mmmm. So we could probably pinpoint the game that introduced sewer dungeons. Off the cuff I remember one if the Mini dungeons in FFIII being basically a sewer. Are there any earlier ones in the genre?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

CmdrKing posted:

Mmmm. So we could probably pinpoint the game that introduced sewer dungeons. Off the cuff I remember one if the Mini dungeons in FFIII being basically a sewer. Are there any earlier ones in the genre?

So I did some searching and found this article on giantbomb, which has a list of every game with a sewer level, starting with the most recent and going backwards (with some variance; there's a PSX game listed on the last page for some reason). I've never heard of some of those early ones, and looking at the earliest, I probably don't want to. The first really popular ones to do so were Super Mario Bros (I forgot that technically the underground levels are considered sewers) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The first RPG-like games to use them were Ys II and Lunar: The Silver Star (completely forgot about that one too!)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Bufuman posted:

The one big thing I don't think I've ever seen absent from a JRPG is the stereotypical Ancient Civilization That Was Far More Advanced And Awesome Than The Current One But Somehow Fell To Ruin Despite Obviously Being Wiser And Better Than The Schmucks Of Today.

Seriously, I just went and looked on the game collection on my shelf, and there's one of those in drat near every single one. I think the only exception is the real-world-based ones like Persona, and even that's debatable depending on what you believe about our world.

In Ar Tonelico the super-advanced ancient civilization fell because despite being way more technologically advanced they really weren't any wiser than the people of the present day, and the villains of the games are just repeating their mistakes (or are the same exact people), does that count?

That developer (GUST) really loves their post-apocalyptic rebuilding settings.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Bufuman posted:

The first RPG-like games to use them were Ys II and Lunar: The Silver Star (completely forgot about that one too!)

Lunar: The Silver Star's sewer level is an earlier dungeons in the game (second or third, I think) and, IMO, isn't that bad.

But sewer dungeons now have a reputation for being one of the most if not THE most (pun intended) lovely parts of any JRPG.

The Fade is the Dragon Age equivalent to a sewer level.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Sewers in RPGs tend to have boring color palettes and designs. Most of the time they're the definition of a filler dungeon. It doesn't have to be that way. Hell, Chrono Trigger has a sewer level when you first arrive in the future. It didn't become a byword for terrible game design because it was fairly brief, straightforward and also because it was Chrono Trigger which is a drat near perfect JRPG.

Personally, I believe the culprit was the one-two punch of Xenogears, followed immediately by FFVIII. Both have sewer levels so phenomenally ill-advised that the collective trauma in the gamer psyche persists to this day.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Kislev sewers did have plot stuff going on and is an excellent place to grind money and exp. You also got a map that is badly needed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Parasite Eve had 2 sewer levels: one short one right at the beginning and one stupid giant maze at the end of the first disk.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Bufuman posted:

I know someone already confirmed this one, but I'd also say that the Marsh Cave in FF1 is pretty much a sewer dungeon by another name. Same kind of palette, typical sewer monsters, and layout.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ddegenha posted:

I know someone already confirmed this one, but I'd also say that the Marsh Cave in FF1 is pretty much a sewer dungeon by another name. Same kind of palette, typical sewer monsters, and layout.

There's an actual sewer level in FF2 as well.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
One good sewer level was the one in Eternal Sonata. If I remember right, it was gorgeous, brightly-colored, and extremely short - like maybe two or three screens.

Come to think of it, that sounds downright intentional.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Kislev sewers did have plot stuff going on and is an excellent place to grind money and exp. You also got a map that is badly needed.
These are all accurate statements, but even so you're the only person I've met who didn't consider that section a low point of the game.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Rangpur posted:

Hell, Chrono Trigger has a sewer level when you first arrive in the future. It didn't become a byword for terrible game design because it was fairly brief, straightforward and also because it was Chrono Trigger which is a drat near perfect JRPG.

It was also well done because it served a purpose for the story - it was the only way to access the continent to the south of the starting areas until you got the Epoch. None of the go in, do something, come back out exactly where you came in that quite a few of the later ones did (which is why we hate them.) This is why the FFVII sewers work and don't annoy, the rare times we see them - they're a Point A to Point B to pass through in less than five to ten minutes, not a place we're going to spend a few hours in.

Rangpur posted:

These are all accurate statements, but even so you're the only person I've met who didn't consider that section a low point of the game.

Two people. I actually found Aquvy and Babel to be far more of a low point. Minus the Redrum fight, I actually mostly enjoyed Kislev and the battling.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Goddamn, Borgan cleared the room with those!

Rangpur posted:

I tried playing Xenogears a few years ago, and that drat prison sewer broke me. That whole place in general broke me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Parasite Eve had 2 sewer levels: one short one right at the beginning and one stupid giant maze at the end of the first disk.

please do not mention that dungeon in my thread, this is a happy place

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Crowetron posted:

Until the next update traumatizes the readers that haven't played, and brings back repressed memories for the ones who have. :suicide:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pieuvre posted:

One good sewer level was the one in Eternal Sonata. If I remember right, it was gorgeous, brightly-colored, and extremely short - like maybe two or three screens.

Come to think of it, that sounds downright intentional.

There was gameplay in Eternal Sonata?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ultrafilter posted:

Given all the poison swamp out there, I'm willing to count the first half of the Earth cave as a prototypical sewer level. :colbert:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SorataYuy posted:

Two people. I actually found Aquvy and Babel to be far more of a low point. Minus the Redrum fight, I actually mostly enjoyed Kislev and the battling.
gently caress Babel so hard. A bad jump on a huge 3-D map or falling off a platform because of an encounter and you have minutes of backtracking.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The sewer level in Metal Gear Rising wasn't bad. But then, that game rules.

I still wanted to see Jean punch a solid plug out of Borgan's stomach.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crowetron posted:

That was bad but at least it wasn't the loving Chrysler Building.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Let's stop talking about the bad parts of PE and talk about the good parts: a pistol that doubles as a pocket artillery piece with the range of a sniper rifle firing acid cryo poison tranquilizer incendiary burst rounds nine times in a row out of your 115-round magazine.

Also, being able to hit someone with a nightstick so hard you steal their wallet.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

rotinaj posted:

The sewer level in Metal Gear Rising wasn't bad. But then, that game rules.

I still wanted to see Jean punch a solid plug out of Borgan's stomach.

Nope, still bad. Whenever you go near the walls the camera flips out and you end up attacking the air next to the enemy if you're not careful. :(

Psion posted:

Let's stop talking about the bad parts of PE and talk about the good parts: a pistol that doubles as a pocket artillery piece with the range of a sniper rifle firing acid cryo poison tranquilizer incendiary burst rounds nine times in a row out of your 115-round magazine.

Also, being able to hit someone with a nightstick so hard you steal their wallet.

More games need that.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Psion posted:

You can do that in real life, you know. The key is to aim for the head. And then rifle through their pockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crowetron posted:

: Yeah! A Happy place!

• Locked thread