Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
My memory of season 5 may be bad, but it seems like this episode has had more hilarious Dewey Crowe moments than the whole Crowe season.

Tim and Raylan's truck is perfect for undercover surveillance. It has to be Gutterson's personal vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
DEWEY

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rip Dewey :(

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
AAH drat

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkk. Didn't see that coming. Goddamnit.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Holy gently caress

Edit:

grrarg posted:

My memory of season 5 may be bad, but it seems like this episode has had more hilarious Dewey Crowe moments than the whole Crowe season.

Now we know why, had to squeeze it into one episode.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
HOLY poo poo

:stare:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Knew that was coming when they went to the closeup. :tviv:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
drat Boyd. :(

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Welp. It's back, everybody!

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
"That's a lot of work Boyd!"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CBJSprague24 posted:

Knew that was coming when they went to the closeup. :tviv:

If you told me a character on this show would get killed by a reference to The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Dewey would be dead last on the list of people I expected.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Poor Dewey, he succumbed to a lethal case of final season-itis.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Is that a pretty decent movie? I've been meaning to catch it.

Justified just got dark..

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

muscles like this? posted:

Poor Dewey, he succumbed to a lethal case of final season-itis.

And he was all wistful and reminiscing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dickie Bennett sighting in the preview. This requires the "catches his own arm wave" GIF.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dickie Bennett sighting in the preview. This requires the "catches his own arm wave" GIF.

As sad as I was over Dewey, seeing him made me :neckbeard:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tide posted:

Is that a pretty decent movie? I've been meaning to catch it.

Justified just got dark..

Its slow paced but good, also has a small part by Garret Dillahunt.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Poor Dewey. At least the anus of satisfying Boyd had been lifted from his shoulders.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Along with the rest of his head

Graham Yost post mortem is up : https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-justified--season-6-premiere-postmortem-194020521.html

Tide fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 21, 2015

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yeah, the close-up shot was definite, but as soon as he mentioned being tired and started reminiscing, I figured it really was gonna be the end times for Dewey Crowe. WELP.

Dewey: My lawyer tells me you come within a thousand feet, that's harassment.
Raylan: Well, you best back up.

This felt like the best season opener in a while. Maybe since S3. Not that the others were bad, but this is vintage Justified. And there weren't even any direct exchanges between Raylan and Boyd.

isk fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 21, 2015

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
Yes. Yes. Yes. This is the justified that I love to watch.

I didn't have the problem with last season that others had, but the show is/was starting to show it's age. This first episode screams "poo poo is going to go down this season, and it's going to go down hard". All the quirks and little telltales and twists and slow burn that I've come to love about justified were all here.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I don't think so.

City slicker with the Benz doesn't know what he's fooling with.

(Cyrus hit by shovel trying to escape.) "Halt. US Marshals." :roflolmao:

I think Benzguy knows exactly who he's messing with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat, I figured Dewey Crowe was gonna inherit the earth Harlan like a goddamned cockroach.

Rest Easy Dewey, there's no Cole Slaw in heaven.

Also: God drat, banker lady was hot.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Well that sure was something.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Awesome start, Dewey just was too stupid to live.

I really like the "post-industrial" decay/last season motif they've got going, I just hope Raylan survives.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I don't think Raylan is worth surviving. His methods aren't much better than the crooks he goes after. Those he doesn't strongarm, he manipulates with no regard for their welfare.

Dewey was just dumb. He wasn't an inherently evil character, he mostly just made poor decisions. That he got executed right off in the first episode really sets the tone for the season I think.

I'd love it if someone would post what Raylan says to Dewey about fate's right hand though, watched it twice tonight and missed the exact line.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Crooooooooooooowenooooooooooooooooooooo!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Listerine posted:

I don't think Raylan is worth surviving. His methods aren't much better than the crooks he goes after. Those he doesn't strongarm, he manipulates with no regard for their welfare.

Dewey was just dumb. He wasn't an inherently evil character, he mostly just made poor decisions. That he got executed right off in the first episode really sets the tone for the season I think.

I'd love it if someone would post what Raylan says to Dewey about fate's right hand though, watched it twice tonight and missed the exact line.

He is not a "good guy" but how can you not love Raylan :allears:

Dewey was an rear end in a top hat, albeit funny and somehow endearing (despite of his Nazi tattoos).

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Boatswain posted:

He is not a "good guy" but how can you not love Raylan :allears:

Dewey was an rear end in a top hat, albeit funny and somehow endearing (despite of his Nazi tattoos).

Oh I love raylan in the sense that I enjoy escapism, and he gets the totally cool one-ups-men lines, but at the end of the day he stands for everything I don't like in modern police forces. He's not really a good person. So it remains to be seen if the writers decide to let him ride off into the sunset, victorious, or whether they let something more realistic be the end of the show. Given how Dewey met his fate, it could go either way at this point I think.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

JohnSherman posted:

Meeting on a bridge is ridiculous. Could you think of a more suspicious spot to meet?

It's where all the cool kids meet secretly. Where else would you go?

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Awesome episode. :rip: Dewey.

I binged on the rest of the show last summer and it's tough to watch this weekly, even when it's this dramatic.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
RIP the most loveable Nazi in history.

That last scene with Boyd leering over Ava was just the creepiest loving thing. I loved Raylan's pep talk about when Ava killed Bowman, but come on, we all know that Boyd is no Bowman.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I was rooting for Boyd to win but killing Dewey completely put me off. Despite all of Dewey's gently caress ups, he and Boyd still go way back and Boyd killing Dewey felt like it was Boyd starting to cut all his ties with Harlan. Not cool man, not cool :colbert:

Loved the last conversation between Boyd and Dewey though since it felt like it was addressed straight to the audience. Sure they could have dragged out Justified for another couple of seasons but its had a good run and we're never going to be able to recreate those moments from the earlier seasons. Best just to accept that its ending and enjoy the ride.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I had a feeling that Dewey would get killed the second his name was mentioned, but yeah RIP and all that. I think I would have preferred it had he gone out in a triumphant farce, but his final moments before his demise were kind of touching.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah, that was a hell of a performance there at the end, and just that realization that he couldn't be anything more than a loving decoy was heartbreaking.

Ava's already foreshadowed her and Boyd's fates - "You act like we're not already dead".

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The actor that played Dewey absolutely nailed those scenes. I really felt bad for the guy; knowing that the best days of his life (drinkin shine in the church with Boyd and the rest of the Crowder Commandos) was behind him and he had nowhere to go but down.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Tide posted:

I really felt bad for the guy; knowing that the best days of his life (drinkin shine in the church with Boyd and the rest of the Crowder Commandos) was behind him and he had nowhere to go but down.

Stuff like this and old people being alone always gets to me.

Edit: poo poo, not even "old" per say. True Detective even got to me with dumb poo poo like Hart talking to Rust in his dinky PI office about how he had been dating a hot young girl for a while after his divorce while clips of him searching for women his age online and eating frozen dinner from the microwave are shown.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 21, 2015

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Listerine posted:

Oh I love raylan in the sense that I enjoy escapism, and he gets the totally cool one-ups-men lines, but at the end of the day he stands for everything I don't like in modern police forces. He's not really a good person. So it remains to be seen if the writers decide to let him ride off into the sunset, victorious, or whether they let something more realistic be the end of the show. Given how Dewey met his fate, it could go either way at this point I think.

Realistic isn't the word you're looking for, dirty cops get the good life more often than not. Moral would be the word.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

RIP the most loveable Nazi in history.

Its weird to think about but drat if Justified didn't make a sort of loveable nazi, or at least a hard to hate one. Oh Dewey you were the best dumbest of us.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Listerine posted:

So it remains to be seen if the writers decide to let him ride off into the sunset, victorious, or whether they let something more realistic be the end of the show.

Victory comes at a cost. See The Shield, where Vic Mackey got immunity and stayed out of jail, but he threw Ronnie under the bus to do it and became a pariah at The Barn once word got around as to what happened. On top of that, his family went into Witness Protection to avoid him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tide posted:

The actor that played Dewey absolutely nailed those scenes. I really felt bad for the guy; knowing that the best days of his life (drinkin shine in the church with Boyd and the rest of the Crowder Commandos) was behind him and he had nowhere to go but down.

The best part is seeing the actor in interviews and then realizing his accent and nationality. :ssh:

I honestly thought Dewey was going to survive too but if Dewey doesn't make it then its hard to say who will. I suspect we might see Boyd triumphant but alone on a beach somewhere but I think they'll stay true to an Elmore Leonard story and have the villains always be the cause of their own demise.

• Locked thread