Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

AshB posted:

This could just as easily be Barry saving Wells.

While Wells is standing up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

bobkatt013 posted:

Why is that awesome? It has been part of the character for almost 25 years. If he wasn't then it would have been an issue.

There's always the possibility that someone may not have been aware of that fact, and thus to them its neat to see someone of that sexuality take a prominent (even if still non-heroic) role in the show. I mean, Singh's a cool guy, but he's not exactly a major part of the cast.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
Okay, I get it guys. I was wrong.

Also, was this last episode setting Cisco up for some kind of bigger role with the police or community involvement? At least a nod.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Great episode (again). Did anyone get a good look at what was in Barry's Nerd Survival Kit or whatever? I swear it looked like Batman was on there. Or at least someone who looks like Batman.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

McDragon posted:

Great episode (again). Did anyone get a good look at what was in Barry's Nerd Survival Kit or whatever? I swear it looked like Batman was on there. Or at least someone who looks like Batman.

Space Ghost.

I don't think they would use an in-universe super hero for a comic. :) Though I guess he was in a DC mini-series, so who knows.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Chalk me up under "Not impressed with the final fight scene", especially after I've had time to process it. Really unsatisfying end to what was otherwise a really fun episode. It wasn't so much the fact that real life cops would have been spraying the entire city with machine gun bullets from minute one, it was, well, Barry beat them by getting shot? Cold's entire endgame for killing the Flash was "shoot him with my cold gun or the flamethrower", and then whatever, Barry's just gonna waltz through both beams at once and then throw out a wisecrack for the cops. Why does he even bother, if an actual bullet from an actual gun would have worked much better? It makes their "fight" as effortless for Barry as if he did just superspeed grab the guns out of their hands and tie them up.

I had the same issue with the end of Iron Man 2, actually, where the evil laser whip guy actually manages to grab Iron Man AND War Machine with the electric whips, and they're both writhing around, but they can still talk and move their hands and seem pretty much fine. Then they escape by firing their repulsor blasts in unison or something to create a big explosion, but really either of them could have just shot Whipmaster right in the face instead, cause the guy didn't even have a helmet. It's like, pour all this time and energy into making this weird laser whip suit, and it can't even accomplish your goals even when everything goes according to plan. That's goddamn Captain Cold.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AshB posted:

Also, was this last episode setting Cisco up for some kind of bigger role with the police or community involvement? At least a nod.

I think it's to set up STAR Labs having closer ties with the police when metas and other super-criminals are involved, kinda like the comics.

ninja edit: ^^ It seemed like killing the Flash wasn't exactly Cold's endgame, considering he already had Golden Glider ready to spring them and acted like it was still going according to plan. Maybe he just wanted the Flash to be 'outed' as real, so more crooks would step things up and he'd have a pool of appropriate people to build a new crew from.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 21, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Byers2142 posted:

While Wells is standing up?

Furthermore...

AshB posted:

Eventually Wells will be leaving the team to go to NLJ or where ever bad guys go so the team is just going to be Cisco and Caitlin.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I hope at some point in season two we have cops in power armor or something taking down one or more rogues on their own while Barry is busy fighting another more powerful or intelligent rogue. Having a good arms race between heroes, villains and cops would be really cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That shield already put me in mind of The Guardian

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

That shield already put me in mind of The Guardian

Might fit in better in Arrow, or they could use it as a way to bring another character to the twin cities.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Gaz-L posted:

Maybe he just wanted the Flash to be 'outed' as real, so more crooks would step things up and he'd have a pool of appropriate people to build a new crew from.

I would 100% buy it that Snart wanted flash to be outed, and planned based off the assumption that other supervillains would show up, so that he could build the Rogues

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I would 100% buy it that Snart wanted flash to be outed, and planned based off the assumption that other supervillains would show up, so that he could build the Rogues

It makes sense in a weird comic-book way, which is fine for a comic-book show.

So I guess the anti-Flash taskforce thing was pretty short lived? It would be kind of funny if someone eventually stepped forward with a damages lawsuit for all the meta-fights in the city.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

imperialparadox posted:

It makes sense in a weird comic-book way, which is fine for a comic-book show.

So I guess the anti-Flash taskforce thing was pretty short lived? It would be kind of funny if someone eventually stepped forward with a damages lawsuit for all the meta-fights in the city.

I kinda wondered about that, but it's been a good few weeks now since those episodes, so I can't remember if there was any resolution to the task force. Last I remember was the Flash kicking Eddie's rear end when he was all hopped up on the red light. The cops seemed to recognize the Flash as the good guy in this episode, otherwise it seemed even more odd why they wouldn't step in to try to bring both him AND the rogues into custody.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I still rather like the notion that the creation of Cold and the Rogues was something that falls completely out of Wells' plans and expectations and in fact jeopardizes them severely, which is why he was trying to get Barry to ignore them here and focus on the Reverse Flash instead.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's to set up STAR Labs having closer ties with the police when metas and other super-criminals are involved, kinda like the comics.

I loved that when the captain thanked him near the end of the episode, Cisco seemed to literally swell with pride. I've heard it as a figure of speech, first time I remember seeing someone actually do it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More cross over news. Has some this season spoilers, so.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

BrianWilly posted:

I still rather like the notion that the creation of Cold and the Rogues was something that falls completely out of Wells' plans and expectations and in fact jeopardizes them severely, which is why he was trying to get Barry to ignore them here and focus on the Reverse Flash instead.

Well we know that this has been happening. Witness his reaction when he found out about the cold gun the first time - that was not the response of a dude that knew about it beforehand.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

WarLocke posted:

Well we know that this has been happening. Witness his reaction when he found out about the cold gun the first time - that was not the response of a dude that knew about it beforehand.

That actually raises some interesting questions regarding the whole "Wells killed Barry's mom as the Reverse-Flash" thing. He wants to make sure the Flash saves the future, and we've already seen that the timeline can be altered in that respect.

I'm currently half-suspecting that Wells is trying to put history back on the right course, after his earlier stunts as the Reverse-Flash caused things to go terribly wrong when the Crisis hit. He goes back in time to make sure Barry becomes the Flash, while his younger self is still trying to eliminate Barry as the Flash because he doesn't know how bad an idea that is.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Technogeek posted:

That actually raises some interesting questions regarding the whole "Wells killed Barry's mom as the Reverse-Flash" thing. He wants to make sure the Flash saves the future, and we've already seen that the timeline can be altered in that respect.

I'm currently half-suspecting that Wells is trying to put history back on the right course, after his earlier stunts as the Reverse-Flash caused things to go terribly wrong when the Crisis hit. He goes back in time to make sure Barry becomes the Flash, while his younger self is still trying to eliminate Barry as the Flash because he doesn't know how bad an idea that is.

I've been kind of wondering about wells along the same lines. I think that at some point, after wells has been revealed as the reverse flash to barry, Wells is going to tell barry "I attacked your family when you were young*, you MUST go back and you have to stop me.". But then it could just be that I really love Tom Cavanaugh in this show and want a way for him to be the reverse flash but still part of the flashes supporting cast, so I'm probably reaching.

*I actually think it makes more sense (from a time travel perspective) if the reverse flash was trying to kill barry as a child than if he was specifically trying to kill his mother, and she was collateral damage, but I'd need to rewatch the first episode to see if that scans with the details of how she died. It just seems like if it was part of the "Make him a better Flash" agenda, if he was the flash without his mother dying and his father going to jail it seems like that is a massive change to his life so a huge risk that you would inadvertaintly stop him from ever being in the right place at the right time to become the flash rather than motivating him.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

More cross over news. Has some this season spoilers, so.

Cisco and Ray Palmer brodown? Awesome. Ray's going to love that chaingun hexcopter.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Cisco and Ray Palmer brodown? Awesome. Ray's going to love that chaingun hexcopter.

Guess that line in the trailer about Cisco being the guy who names people is about Ray Palmer? Or was it about Arsenal, the cutting made it somewhat unclear.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought it was about Pied Piper, since if I recall there's a line a few seconds before hand of Piper saying "I was thinking about calling myself...Pied Piper". The preview for the next episode also shows Piper is attacking the containment area below S.T.A.R. Labs so he could easily be chatting to Cisco at some point.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

e X posted:

Guess that line in the trailer about Cisco being the guy who names people is about Ray Palmer? Or was it about Arsenal, the cutting made it somewhat unclear.

No he meant it as "he's the guy who gives the villains their names."

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Aside from proving the Flash's existence, Snart's plan showed him as The Guy Who Fights the Flash and Doesn't go to Prison. So, possibly inspiring new super villains and putting himself at the top of the list. Not a bad plan to raise an anti-Flash army.

I get the idea that Snart was never in the crime game for the money, or at least not only for the money. He seems to be about the challenge.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

SiKboy posted:

*I actually think it makes more sense (from a time travel perspective) if the reverse flash was trying to kill barry as a child than if he was specifically trying to kill his mother, and she was collateral damage, but I'd need to rewatch the first episode to see if that scans with the details of how she died. It just seems like if it was part of the "Make him a better Flash" agenda, if he was the flash without his mother dying and his father going to jail it seems like that is a massive change to his life so a huge risk that you would inadvertaintly stop him from ever being in the right place at the right time to become the flash rather than motivating him.

This is exactly why I was worried about Professor Zoom being introduced as a villain in the first season. The time travel mindfuck ruins a lot of good stories (save Bill and Ted), and they have such an awesome thing going with Snart and co.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Scyantific posted:

No he meant it as "he's the guy who gives the villains their names."

Yes, I got that, my point is that the trailer seems to indicate that Cisco is annoyed because someone else came up with a nickname for a supervillain.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

e X posted:

Yes, I got that, my point is that the trailer seems to indicate that Cisco is annoyed because someone else came up with a nickname for a supervillain.

As tsob said, it's Pied Piper.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Ah gently caress, yes, he did. Guess the yellow highlight drew my attention to much.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

What are the odds the word "hypertime" is going to be said on the show?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Thank you, Felicity, for that convenient pre-holidays recap.

edit: And thank you John I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

OB_Juan posted:

I get the idea that Snart was never in the crime game for the money, or at least not only for the money. He seems to be about the challenge.

Yeah. In his intro show they said he pulls a perfect crime about once a year or so for kicks, but this time Flash ruined his fun so he got a bit obsessed.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

OB_Juan posted:

I think that's the right way to put it.

He clearly wanted people to know about the Flash, so that when he takes him down he'll be remembered as the guy who defeated Central City's "Scarlet Speedster." He wants to make Flash a hero so that he can be the villain to take him down.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

McDragon posted:

My wife thought the same thing, and then I spent a few minutes telling her about Space ghost (frankly which was random and I'm proud I recognized it). A batman comic in-universe would be odd.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Shoulda been a Golden-Age Flash comic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was a Space Ghost comic from '99.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Super low since it won't occur unless they toss in a reference for fans. Why bother bringing it up when there's no need to use it to explain anything?

McSpanky posted:

While I'm not going to complain about Space Ghost, something with Jay Garrick on the cover really would have been perfect.

Edit: Since I have two tightly interwoven points in a single post; that's a good example of the right and the wrong way to do this kind of referencing. Throwing out something that has to be explained to the audience that might not be familiar with it is the wrong way; a passing glance of something is the right way. And then there's the layers between.

It doesn't matter from a knowledgeless audience member perspective what the comic book is; it matters that Barry has it and considered it precious. From the nerds in the know perspective, it's would be cool if it was a reference to the original Barry Allen being a comic book nerd who read golden age Flash comics (seriously, that goes back to his first appearance in 1954). Two levels, works on both, and doesn't draw attention to itself. That's how you do a good bit of nerd pandering.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 22, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Johns hates Hypertime so unlikely.

McSpanky posted:

Wrong.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

zoux posted:

It was a Space Ghost comic from '99.

If it's the one I'm thinking of by Joe Kelly, it was actually a pretty drat good mini, with a rather horrifying re-imagining of Zorak and I really would like to have seen more of the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sliiiight spoiler from the newest Injustice issue, but we were having this debate a few weeks ago and I thought it was funny to see it brought up with their A-team analogues:

• Locked thread