Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

He meant in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Samovar posted:

:gonk: OOOOHH! The tattoo removal!
I'm really surprised he didn't do that earlier, he must have had a chance to do it or so and even if it was just superficially stripping some skin off that's STILL pretty nasty. But god I love that he did that, I know he wears a sweater always after so you never see it again but that's a great sense of continuity and throwing off the shackles of oppression right there. I also love the stinger made during every stealth kill too, it gives a wonderful sense of tension as you suddenly tense up like "did they see me? Did they hear me? No...I guess not."

Night10194 posted:

He practiced his one-liner in front of the mirror every day. He dreamed of the day a terrorist would attack him and he could be the hero of the Reich. When it happened, he was SO HAPPY.

Well, until it turned out to be BJ.
I loving love that deliveryman, good ol' Hans and always getting on time :haw: god bless you crazy bastard.

I will only say this.

gently caress the next level's opening, gently caress everything about that part.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Are you kidding, the next level's opening looks amazing. BJ waking up in a crashed space truck, looking out the window, and a million people shooting at you. I can't wait to see it in action.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

I will only say this.

gently caress the next level's opening, gently caress everything about that part.

You're probably thinking of the opening of the level after the next. Which is indeed not a high point of the game.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
I mean, a lot of people are talking about the nuclear launch codes on punchcards, or John Oliver's rant on how terrible the current situation is, but really, it's hard to get dumber than setting nuclear launch codes to 00000000. (Which, as the linked article states, the US did for TWENTY YEARS).

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Speedball posted:

He meant in the game.

Hah! Well you definitely see it in the cutscene!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I'm going to chime in with another unpopular opinion and this time it's not even GRENADE related: I don't like the moon. The moon goes on for way too loving long and isn't that interesting. I feel they could've done more with it - you could pull off all sorts of crazy science on the moon, as such there isn't much reason for there being a moon base in the first place.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah, that tattoo removal scene was pretty :stonk: inducing. Shooting, stabbing and gibbing enemies I'm okay with, but self mutilation grosses me out. The amount of torture and stabbings BJ has gone through would have killed a normal person.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Serperoth posted:

You're probably thinking of the opening of the level after the next. Which is indeed not a high point of the game.

The first combat room of the next level has a ton of enemies in it and there is a glitch if you die during it which removes all the collectibles and weapons/items from the area unless you restart the whole level.

GUI fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 21, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I fell down the moon hole about 5 times in a row.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GUI posted:

The first combat room of the next level has a ton of enemies in it and there is a glitch if you die during it which removes all the collectibles and weapons/items from the area unless you restart the whole level.

I honestly had no idea about the glitch, sorry I suppose.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It took me three tries to finish the unlockable Iron Man Mode (locked to Uber difficulty, if you die once you start over from the beginning) and during my first playthrough I died by falling into the pit during those jumps you have to do in the outdoors moon section.

The second time the game glitched during the Prologue level and when Wyatt tells you to go near the door after the Ubersoldier fight Deathshead never appeared and I was stuck in the crusher room forever.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Are you kidding, the next level's opening looks amazing. BJ waking up in a crashed space truck, looking out the window, and a million people shooting at you. I can't wait to see it in action.
There is a more...specific part, not the VERY beginning but just a little further on after where there is a very difficult room I never manage to get through completely without dying at least four times.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mushball posted:

Well he IS Commander Keen's grandfather. It's just a matter of how he can stop the nazis and free america so Billy Blaze can grow up listening to his wild tales and make the technological marvels he read about in the da'at yichud books that BJ gifted him in his backyard.
This game actually explains a lot of Commander Keen. :aaaaa:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This game actually explains a lot of Commander Keen. :aaaaa:

So the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket is supposed to be based on Da'at Yichud tech, maybe?

That's not kosher :colbert:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

GUI posted:

That room is weird in general. If you hold down-left or something on the loading screen after reloading the checkpoint/dying, you are pressed against the wall next to the corpse in such a way that the commander doesn't automatically see you. You don't seem to be able to stealth the area, mind you, because even if you manage to lean out to get an immediately aimed silenced headshot on the Commander, everyone still immediately sees you anyway. And if you aren't the fastest shot in the West [Germany], the Commander sets off the alarm. I spent far too long trying to figure out a way to stealth that battle.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Okay, so I'm going to chime in with another unpopular opinion and this time it's not even GRENADE related: I don't like the moon. The moon goes on for way too loving long and isn't that interesting. I feel they could've done more with it - you could pull off all sorts of crazy science on the moon, as such there isn't much reason for there being a moon base in the first place.

And once again I'm going to agree with you. I should have been hopping around in low gravity like I had a jetpack from Tribes, shooting Nazi's and robots, but its really just another level apart from the short jaunt onto the surface. Not even low gravity inside. From what I've been told the Moon level suffered more than most when it came to content cuts to make budget and deadlines, but that's third hand info at best. I think its the low point of the game, at least when compared to the expectations from a level in a Nazi Moon Base.

That said when the low point of your game is "The level set in the Nazi Moon Base is too much like the other still pretty good levels" you've got a pretty good low point. Also, I think the problem is not that the moon base is long but that it doesn't have the variety of the other levels. A lot of it is just blank corridors and laboratories. It'd be like if the U-boat level lasted more than 15 minutes, it would just be cramped corridor after cramped corridor.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

So the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket is supposed to be based on Da'at Yichud tech, maybe?

That's not kosher :colbert:
Well clearly Billy repurposed that for his own uses, I mean if the Nazis could apparently then what's stopping the grandson of BJ Blaskowicz?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kibayasu posted:

And once again I'm going to agree with you. I should have been hopping around in low gravity like I had a jetpack from Tribes, shooting Nazi's and robots, but its really just another level apart from the short jaunt onto the surface. Not even low gravity inside. From what I've been told the Moon level suffered more than most when it came to content cuts to make budget and deadlines, but that's third hand info at best. I think its the low point of the game, at least when compared to the expectations from a level in a Nazi Moon Base.

This sounds right, looking at the Moon Base from a design standpoint I'm seeing a lot of shortcuts and empty areas that look like leftovers from discarded plans. The level looks like one that has had a lot of content cut from it, so I expect that whoever told you that was probably right.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Great, now I'm imagining BJ shooting Nazi space dudes while he slides around in his Space Power Armor at 300km/h.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

FinalGamer posted:

Well clearly Billy repurposed that for his own uses, I mean if the Nazis could apparently then what's stopping the grandson of BJ Blaskowicz?
Super soldiers on pogo sticks?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
The music from the room after the elevator sorta reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2IfFUdy8Uw

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 22, 2015

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Neruz posted:

This sounds right, looking at the Moon Base from a design standpoint I'm seeing a lot of shortcuts and empty areas that look like leftovers from discarded plans. The level looks like one that has had a lot of content cut from it, so I expect that whoever told you that was probably right.

Yeah, they even kept in the dialogue about 'and THIS is where they're making the new generation of supersoldaten' and we see all of one of them throughout the whole level.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JcDent posted:

Great, now I'm imagining BJ shooting Nazi space dudes while he slides around in his Space Power Armor at 300km/h.

That's just Vanquish but fighting Nazis.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I will say that it's probably a good thing they didn't have a more extensive combat section on the lunar surface though. I can only imagine that first person combat against lethal enemies in an environment where the sound is turned off and dashing across a slight incline could send you hurtling past where you wanted to run to could quickly turn into an exercise in frustration.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I'm guessing it was a mix of funding and programming difficulty, and difficulty making the game elements of it fun. Lord knows you cannot accuse Machinegames of laziness.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still, something could have spiced up that level more than a thirty second moonwalk. It felt like a filler level from the moment the guns came out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just saying that my first reaction to the soundless lunar surface section was "oh neat" and my second reaction was "they wanted to have an extensive combat set piece with vehicles in the place with no sound cues and wonky gravity physics, seriously?"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Done right I bet it could be hella fun but I can also see how doing it right would probably require a lot more dev time and money than is really justified. It's not really surprising that when it came time to cut content the moon level got hit the hardest.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I totally get why they cut the extra moon stuff, but aside from my gross Wolfenstein fanboying I bought this game for NAZIS ON THE MOON and while I was not disappointed with what we got I will never be satisfied with only one Nazi moon level.

CAUSE THEY'RE NAZIS ON THE MOON.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Moon Nazis are a criminally under-explored region of WWII fiction.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Also, it's like the whole game is hyping up the moon level so much that when you get there, you can't help but feel a little twinge of "that's it?" even though it's very fun and immersive.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GUI posted:

Yeah, that part involved a lot of dying in my playthrough. I finally managed to clear it pretty much sucking fumes, and then couldn't find the collectibles that were supposed to be there, and eventually restarted from the checkpoint (I think, anyway) and went... "Oh, there was supposed to be armor and health and ammo all over this area and it just didn't spawn last time. So that's how you're meant to clear this."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Neruz posted:

Moon Nazis are a criminally under-explored region of WWII fiction.

Just like commies on Mars don't get decent treatment in Cold War fiction :colbert:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Best of absurd Nazi's since the Lenigrad level in painkiller that had Undead Nazis vs Demon Communists from hell. Musics not as good though, but its hard to beat the soviet national anthem, accompanied by the screams of the damned :black101:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just saying that my first reaction to the soundless lunar surface section was "oh neat" and my second reaction was "they wanted to have an extensive combat set piece with vehicles in the place with no sound cues and wonky gravity physics, seriously?"

I THINK it was said that they were working on a more extended segment, with a moon rover and more, but it was cut not just because it was crazy work for a short segment, but also because it was proving impossible to actually make it fun. I'd have dug a rover segment though, even a low-grav version of Half-Life 2's buggy. Not sure how well it would have meshed with the rest of the game though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
It would have been nice if BJ had brought along an American flag to plant on the moon, only to realize after sticking it in the ground that the flag needed a bar perpendicular to the pole to actually see the drat thing properly. Follow this by restating the line, "gently caress you, moon."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh yeah - what is the difference between 'Germany' and Germania'.

And don't say 'ia'.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
About 2000 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

And don't say 'ia'.
Cthulhu ftaghn.
Way I understand it, Germania was the Roman term for the general area, Germany is the modern state. You could say that Germania refers to the geographical location; alternately, the Nazis putting on some historical glamor in ye olde "this territory was totally ours all along, whoever lives there right now has stolen our country, ergo it's fine to invade them" gambit.

• Locked thread