Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I keep getting amazed by ropekid's tumblr. Not because a lot of content gets posted there, but because of the questions he gets asked . Like I'm hoping it isn't intentional that some of these things sound massively passive aggressive RPG-codex-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fuschia tude posted:

Didn't Fallout do that a year earlier?

I can't remember whether it does in 1 (though it probably did, the engine didn't change a whole lot between the two), but 2 certainly does it. Unless you take the Awareness perk, in which case you get an exact number.

Fuschia tude posted:

Also the pips are clearly cribbed from Starcraft 2 :colbert:

Was it not the same in 1, too? I know the colours were in.

The pips are good game design because you don't really need to know how much health your characters have exactly (well, I guess you might want to be supremely anal about when you drop your heals, but by a sane metric); the important break points are "unharmed or near enough", "worth dropping a heal on", "in trouble", "seriously in trouble", and "completely hosed unless you do something right now"- which is exactly the information the pips convey. Plus, it's not actually as easy to read a bar as you might think- "half and half" is easy enough, but it's very easy, or I find it pretty easy, to mistake 1/5 for 1/4 or 1/3 for 1/4 unless it's broken up into discrete chunks (i.e., pips).

e:

evilmiera posted:

I keep getting amazed by ropekid's tumblr. Not because a lot of content gets posted there, but because of the questions he gets asked . Like I'm hoping it isn't intentional that some of these things sound massively passive aggressive RPG-codex-like.

Odd coincidence, I'm reading it right now. There are a lot from this one melnorme guy, I don't know if that's because he just keeps machine-gunning questions into the ether or if they're just the ones rope kid thinks are worth mentioning.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Clearly the only solution is to have Wolfenstein style bleeding effects on the portrait.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Autonomous Monster posted:

Odd coincidence, I'm reading it right now. There are a lot from this one melnorme guy, I don't know if that's because he just keeps machine-gunning questions into the ether or if they're just the ones rope kid thinks are worth mentioning.

It's because ropekid has good taste and thus appreciates a nick from Star Control 2

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gyshall posted:

Clearly the only solution is to have Wolfenstein style bleeding effects on the portrait.

A different portrait for each injury condition, working on down from 100% to 0%, each getting progressively bloodier and more desperate.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

PS:T did it

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Make sure the 100% portrait updates after each engagement to reflect how badly they got hurt. If Kana Rua's 20% health portrait updates so show he's missing some teeth, then he needs some more gaps in his teeth when he's back to 100%!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Lotish posted:

A different portrait for each injury condition, working on down from 100% to 0%, each getting progressively bloodier and more desperate.
Sounds fine to me.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

evilmiera posted:

Melnorme is a Codexer, the others are not, to my knowledge. I think some of those posters are from the Obsidian forums.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There'll probably be achievements for finishing the game in Expert Mode, Trial by Iron, and Path of the Damned, but I wonder if there's a sadistic achievement for finishing the game in all three modes at once.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

evilmiera posted:

The most asinine one I've seen was someone asking if making the black ocean folk the majority race in one of the more technologically advanced civilisations was because of 'social justice'.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
What if they had one pip per (e.g.) 25 Endurance? So warriors would have a bar with, say, 8 pips that would darken as they take damage, and a back-liner would have 4 pips in their bar. It'd be a good indicator to you of how dangerous it really is to leave that rogue unattended while fighting two or more guys. And it would make the barbarian feel really burly.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There'll probably be achievements for finishing the game in Expert Mode, Trial by Iron, and Path of the Damned, but I wonder if there's a sadistic achievement for finishing the game in all three modes at once.
There's one for "Triple Crown" (Expert, Trial of Iron, PotD), and one for "Triple Crown Solo" (all of that without recruiting any companions or creating any adventurers after the intro).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oh, you bastard.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rope kid posted:

There's one for "Triple Crown" (Expert, Trial of Iron, PotD), and one for "Triple Crown Solo" (all of that without recruiting any companions or creating any adventurers after the intro).

I'm not sure I like you anymore.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

rope kid posted:

I really like challenge in my video games but I still have my mental health so I'm going to stay far away from those.

Someone will no doubt dig up more than one way to accomplish them with relative ease though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

rope kid posted:

lol

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

rope kid posted:

"Noble hero! I would join you on your quest to save the world! My sword is yours!"

1.) I would be honored.
2.) Sorry, I don't trust Orlan. (Racist - Minor)
3.) Nah, I'm going for Triple Crown Solo, baby! (Masochist - Major)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
What classes do you guys think would have the best chance at Triple Crown solo?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Josh Sawyer posted:

Hey, listen, Ted. We need Triple Crown Solo to go through QA in time for launch next Thursday. You want to get on that for me?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hand Row posted:

A solo rogue who majors in Stealth and Mechanics would probably bypass ninety-percent of engagements.

Edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Can that program remove achievements as well?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 22, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hand Row posted:

Programmer.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

DooM did it

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

No idea. I've never purposefully got an achievement in my life, legit or otherwise. :v:

Aeonsim
Jan 18, 2015

Hand Row posted:

Maybe Chanter, it get's summons + some other nice spells and has reasonable health and accuracy...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Absolutely. It can register achievements or remove ones you've previously earned(or registered).

edit: however, developers can specifically lock achievements so that you can only get them through gameplay.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 22, 2015

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
What's the chance that we can get modules ala Neverwinter?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Autonomous Monster posted:

I can't remember whether it does in 1 (though it probably did, the engine didn't change a whole lot between the two), but 2 certainly does it. Unless you take the Awareness perk, in which case you get an exact number.
Yeah, I'm sure I remember it functioning the same in Fallout 1.

quote:

Was it not the same in 1, too? I know the colours were in.

The pips are good game design because you don't really need to know how much health your characters have exactly (well, I guess you might want to be supremely anal about when you drop your heals, but by a sane metric); the important break points are "unharmed or near enough", "worth dropping a heal on", "in trouble", "seriously in trouble", and "completely hosed unless you do something right now"- which is exactly the information the pips convey. Plus, it's not actually as easy to read a bar as you might think- "half and half" is easy enough, but it's very easy, or I find it pretty easy, to mistake 1/5 for 1/4 or 1/3 for 1/4 unless it's broken up into discrete chunks (i.e., pips).

It does, actually; I forgot that the original had pips. The implementation wasn't as nice in SC/BW, though. Units and structures had roughly 50% and 100% more pips than they do in SC2, so it was a bit closer to a linear bar graph. Plus the display implementation was boolean where the sequel uses floats: every pip was either full on or full off, rather than smoothly ramping from 100% brightness and saturation down to 0%, and the whole set of pips just suddenly jumped from green to yellow to red at each hp % breakpoint rather than smoothly ramping, as well.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Pity the poor bastard who's going to play this off GOG. I like their service but it's not feasible for newer games weighing tens of gigs that need updating.

I don't think this is that big a deal, games that need patches get a separate file to download when you want. You don't download the whole game again. The patches for Wasteland 2 through GOG, at least, aren't multi-gig affairs.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
I like that they've kept the mouse-over text if you disable the Combat HUD, however they haven't really supported playing without the combat HUD other than that. There's a bunch of ways that could have been handled better - combat idle changed to the 'recovery time' stance, instead; recovery bar under the portrait on the main HUD - stuff like that.

quote:

you don't really need to know how much health your characters have exactly

I thought transparency was one of the goals here though, not partial transparency.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

jerichojx posted:

What's the chance that we can get modules ala Neverwinter?

I would guess pretty slim.

Obsidian can't provide a NWN-style 3D level editor with a bunch of pre-made tiles. In order to make PoE content, you need to be able to produce PoE environment art. Not impossible, but pretty tough to do without a background in the field and some expensive software.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sensuki posted:

I thought transparency was one of the goals here though, not partial transparency.

Yes. I REALLY need to know that I have 4 HPs, instead of me knowing that I merely have an EXTREMELY low amount of HP. It changes the game ENTIRELY.

Blah blah blah.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Well that is a bummer. It would really boost the longevity of the game.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
You're gravely underestimating the modding community. Where there's a will for a map composed entirely out of making GBS threads dick nipples, there's a way.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

Drifter posted:

Yes. I REALLY need to know that I have 4 HPs, instead of me knowing that I merely have an EXTREMELY low amount of HP. It changes the game ENTIRELY.

Blah blah blah.

Not what I was referring to. I assume Stamina of enemies will probably surpass 200 at some point, at which one pip will be representing 40 Stamina. A "health bar" that is more granular would be more accurate/beneficial for those that play with the Combat HUD IMO.

That's also pretty un-grog of me too.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

I like that they've kept the mouse-over text if you disable the Combat HUD, however they haven't really supported playing without the combat HUD other than that. There's a bunch of ways that could have been handled better - combat idle changed to the 'recovery time' stance, instead; recovery bar under the portrait on the main HUD - stuff like that.
Supporting all of this does require actual work from people, usually people on the team who are extremely overloaded with other tasks. I don't mind at all if someone wants recovery bars on the portraits, on a second monitor, docks the combat log vertically to the left side of the screen, puts individual character portraits at opposite corners, outputs damage values in Roman numerals, and prefers individual idles for each race by specific weapon -- but someone has to actually do all of that. For a long time, we didn't have stealth animations. For even longer, we didn't have attack variations. We're getting more of that over time, but we cannot support every individual's preference for UI and feedback style through fiat and willpower alone.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Soks posted:

You're gravely underestimating the modding community. Where there's a will for a map composed entirely out of making GBS threads dick nipples, there's a way.

Bleeding making GBS threads dick nipples or don't bother.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

rope kid posted:

Supporting all of this does require actual work from people, usually people on the team who are extremely overloaded with other tasks. I don't mind at all if someone wants recovery bars on the portraits, on a second monitor, docks the combat log vertically to the left side of the screen, puts individual character portraits at opposite corners, outputs damage values in Roman numerals, and prefers individual idles for each race by specific weapon -- but someone has to actually do all of that. For a long time, we didn't have stealth animations. For even longer, we didn't have attack variations. We're getting more of that over time, but we cannot support every individual's preference for UI and feedback style through fiat and willpower alone.

My point was more that the original design of these features did not accommodate playing without the Combat HUD. It's perfectly understandable that since the game was designed to be played with them on by default, spending time to make such variations would come at the cost of dev time that could be spent on improving the overall experience. Originally I was perplexed as to why a recovery bar was needed at all after hearing about it from the E3 press round, but after having played the beta I can see exactly why it was done (and it turned out to be quite useful for both combat feedback and easily being able to catch recovery time bugs :)). It's just a shame you guys chose to go Icewind Dale style (idle looking characters in combat) instead of the BG style where you can tell when a character has an action queued. I think I tried to bring that subject up in a past interview but may have been a bit unclear as to why I was asking about it.

Moving the combat idle animation to recovery time might be something we could look into for the IE mod. Obviously we don't have the animation graphs and everything that you guys have, but it could probably be done by simply changing the conditions in the code for the animation to play. Haven't really looked at that section of it myself, but I don't think it should be too difficult to do.

Sensuki fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 22, 2015

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kanfy posted:

I really like challenge in my video games but I still have my mental health so I'm going to stay far away from those.

Someone will no doubt dig up more than one way to accomplish them with relative ease though.

Not only will someone accomplish it, they will do so within the first month the game is out and repeatedly call it easy. While doing this they will claim to be literally incapable of seeing how anyone could have missed some obscure combination/glitch/op game mechanic, imply that anyone who has trouble with any segment is literally retarded, and snear at anyone who doest memorize every skill and spell effect in the game.

Grog the force that gives us meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
That is one of my favorite ways of e-peen waving. Baldur's Gate was one of the first games I read the forums for. The amount of

'Ugh I solo'd this game on super hard difficulty with only starting equipment. They just don't make hard games anymore.' Was hilarious. Of course the few that actually mentioned their strategy was usually things like casting spells on the boss while he was offscreen and so he didn't attack or exploits like that.

My favorite of all time though was Dragon Age where someone in the bioware forum played with the most broken build (forget what it was called the one that let you cast a shell around your wizard and make him nearly immortal) solo and just reloaded fights where he was stun locked to death hundreds of times until he got an RNG that let him through and then declared the game too easy because it should be physically impossible to beat the game on its hardest setting without a party. No amount of people explaining to him that was a crazy standard would stop him from complaining about how watered down games were now.

Thankfully I don't go to the bioware forums anymore.

• Locked thread