Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"gently caress off" usually does the job, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is that seriously a young labor argument published in The Guardian? Why won't life let me escape?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's published by the Guardian in the same way letters to the editor are published by the Guardian. They're not endorsing it.

The biggest problem with it is that he seems to think that Greens and Labor Party interests coincide.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

open24hours posted:

It's published by the Guardian in the same way letters to the editor are published by the Guardian. They're not endorsing it.

The biggest problem with it is that he seems to think that Greens and Labor Party interests coincide.

And that Labor are still Left, not Centrist weathervanes.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Have a read through the comments, most of them seem to be fairly good for once. The author is of course busy cajoling and attempting to shame as many as he can into joining Labor. Standard MO for that piece of poo poo

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

ThePutty posted:

putting someone like malcolm turnbull in charge of the LNP with actual competent PR skills is probably the worst thing to wish for
Fortunately the probability of Turnbull getting the job is approximately zero. He may be popular outside the party, but his colleagues don't like him.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Old mate ran for preselection for the Greens in 2013.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hasn't Turnbulls honeymoon run out yet? That poo poo peaked in 2012 when people on QnA were actually asking him across multiple shows, to form his own party.

Now he's killed the NBN and young people should pretty much hate him by now.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anybody who has heard him talk should hate him.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Luke "loving" Mansillo, 110 years ago: "look, these Labor upstarts only got 15% of the vote at the last election, they're never going to form government. The only option for Australian progressives is to join the Protectionist Party and enact change from within instead of splitting the anti-Free Trade vote."

MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck
my favourite line from that 'change can only occur from within' bullshit was also in the comments.

Luke 'ALP is totes left' Mansillo posted:

The Greens can do little - they are nothing but the nation's largest interest group, a parasite leeching the votes, members and resources of Labor, preventing a strong united progressive voice. They take resources from the marginal Liberal-Labor seats and put it into seats the left of the party held. The Greens snatch left leading members forcing the party to become bloated with more and more rights creating the internal numbers which allow refugees to be exploited.

Yep, that is how you force change from within, by calling the diaspora of your naturally left wing supporters a bunch of parasites.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

Is that seriously a young labor argument published in The Guardian? Why won't life let me escape?

Mods please change Anidav's name to Sisyphus

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Hey, all. I was directed here because I just wrote up a review for the Doctor Who thread in TV IV about an audio story called Dreamtime. The audio used ideas and concepts from Aboriginal mythology (hence the name), and even though I wouldn't recommend the story itself to anyone, it did pique my interest about Aboriginal mythology and the Dreaming.

Could anyone here recommend some books on the topic? I'm looking more for the actual myths and stories themselves, though any academic discussion about Aboriginal mythology would be appreciated at well.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

All I learned in Primary school was they believed in a rainbow snake and I think a frog that ate dreams or some poo poo. It would make a pretty cool Anime fyi. Dreamtime battles.

Also John Howard's education system :eng99:

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

IslamoNazi posted:

Mods please change Anidav's name to Sisyphus
More like Michael Corleone.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Something happening in Circular Quay

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's already over. and police say it was nothing.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-22/circular-quay-reopening-after-suspicious-object-found-on-ferry/6034796

It started about 1:30pm. Ferries were stopped, trains didn't stop at Circular Quay. Exclusion zone set up. Etc etc.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Anidav posted:

What the gently caress? Even The Guardian believes in change from within?
Anyone can write for Comment is Free. They're not necessarily endorsing the opinion

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-22/abbott-defends-leadership-as-internal-criticism-mounts/6033168

The ABC posted:

But that is not the way some of his colleagues see it. The ABC has canvassed more than 20 per cent of the Coalition party room across five states, speaking to ministers, MPs and senators.

There are supporters and detractors of the Prime Minister but the overall mood is grim. Here is a sample:

"It's chaos. It was a scrappy end to last year and a scrappy beginning to this one. And the problem is not coming from the backbench. The problem is with the leadership."
"Everyone wants him to recover but I think it's game over as far as I can see. I don't think he can recover but there is no way we can move on him. So we're f***ed."
"I would describe the Government's performance as sub-optimal."
"Tony Abbott is toxic among our own party members. If the Queensland election goes badly Tony will be blamed."
"It's an absolute f**king mess. If there was an election Labor would romp it in."
"I think [Tony Abbott] is okay but I am hearing a lot of discontent among colleagues."

Auspol Feb 2015: It's an absolute f**king mess.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Graham Ricjardson is angry at icac

quote:

Former Labor party powerbroker Graham Richardson has called for a full inquiry into the operations of the New South Wales corruption watchdog.

Mr Richardson opened his Sky News program on Wednesday night by categorically denying any wrongdoing after allegations emerged last year that he is being investigated by the Independent Commission Against Corruption.

Mr Richardson says the ICAC inquiry centres on donations to a former NSW speaker, Richard Torbay, who he claims never to have met.

He also claims somebody at the ICAC is breaking the law regularly by leaking information to journalists.

Mr Richardson alleged that Fairfax journalist Kate McClymont 'gets direct links' from somebody inside the anti-corruption body.

'Who at Icac commits the crime of making these leaks?' Mr Richardson asked.

'They even leaked my address. It is just plain extraordinary.'

The former ALP powerbroker claims Ms McClymont has been sued many times over the content of her articles, including by now-disgraced ALP figure Eddie Obeid.

Mr Richardson called on NSW Premier Mike Baird to launch a full inquiry into the ICAC leaks.

'There needs to be something done about it very, very soon.'

- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2015/01/21/richardson-calls-for-inquiry-into-icac.html#sthash.z1KN8Rip.dpuf

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Auspol and the Coalition agree: We're hosed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Corrupt Powerbroker calls for enquiry over corruption enquiry corruption.

Auspol 2015: It's pots and kettles all the way down.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Lid posted:

Ex-MP very angry at ICAC; sky blue; water wet.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Graham Richardson is a wet turd - it is known.

SMH posted:

While Richardson ostensibly hails from the opposite side of politics (he's a former Labor social security minister, no less), this was not blowtorch-on-the-belly stuff. For anyone fed up with the adversarial style of interviewing served up on 7.30, Lateline or even Today, Richo's your guy.

"You're the tough guy of the place, you also know which way is up, I think you know the electorate pretty well, I don't think you live in some on-high castle, I think you've been pretty good at what you do," purred Richo. Morrison's face beamed brighter than the MCG floodlights.

It was just the beginning.

"You and Julie Bishop have been the standout successes of a government that hasn't gone all that well in its first 15 months, 16 months," Richo continued. "Whether you want to admit that or not everyone knows it ... that's a fact."

Morrison responded in turn, prefacing his answers with "you make a good point" and "that's a good question".

loving complimenting Morrison of all people

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Looking forward to the sequel to hit comedy ICAC, ICAICAC.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
WorkChoices 2: Electric Boogaloo
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...122-12vxa2.html

quote:

Penalty rates, the minimum wage and the workplace flexibility of 11.5 million Australian workers will come under the microscope in a sweeping review of industrial relations system.

The long-awaited review of Australia's workplace laws will examine the effect of the minimum wage on employment, how penalty rates are set and what economic effect the loadings have on business and employees.

Five issues papers that set out the key areas of the Commission's inquiry - which will arguably be the broadest review of IR laws of its kind in a generation - were accidentally published online on Thursday ahead of the embargo being lifted.

The review was meant to be published on the Commission's website at midnight but went live on the homepage on Thursday morning and was seized on by at least two Labor MPs who tweeted a link to it.

Enterprise bargaining, individual agreements between employers and employees, unfair dismissal, anti-bullying laws and public sector employment issues will all be examined too.

The findings of the review, which are due in November 2015, are expected to help frame the Coalition's second term IR policy. The review, a pre-election promise from Prime Minister Tony Abbott, is launched against a backdrop of a push from the backbench and business groups for cuts to penalty rates and greater workplace flexibility.

The paper states that the inquiry is not "intended to maximise the benefits to any particular group" and that the Commission will consider the social and economic aspects of the workplace system.

The paper also notes there is "little consensus on the effects of modern changes in minimum wages on employment and equity," and promises to attempt to "unravel this contested area of economics".

It notes Australia has a high minimum wage rate when relative to median earnings when compared to other OECD countries – though this is declining – and points out significant variations from state to state in the minimum wage relative to average weekly wages.

On penalty rates, the issues paper notes that 116 of 122 modern awards specify penalty rates, albeit at different levels and that "while there are relatively few contentions about additional payments for overtime and shift work, there are polarised views about the appropriateness of weekend penalty rates in some sectors".

Submissions are invited on how penalty rates are determined, what changes could be made to the system and on whether wages would fall if penalty rates were deregulated.

The situation in the UK, New Zealand and the US, where penalty rates are generally not required on the weekend, are also to be taken into account by the review.

The National Employment Standards, which govern entitlements such as long service leave – the conditions of which vary from state to state – will also be examined.

The release of the issues paper will help frame a political fight between the Coalition, business, the opposition and unions over workplace policy.

Employment Minister Eric Abetz had repeatedly stressed the government has no plans to make changes to penalty rates, which are set by the Fair Work Commission.

The focus of the issues papers accords with the draft terms of reference for the review, leaked to Fairfax last year, which made clear pay and conditions and penalty rates would be examined.

In September last year, Senator Abetz told Fairfax Media he had neutralised a potential political campaign from Labor and the union movement over a possible return to WorkChoices – an assertion that is contested by organised labour.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 22, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's not obvious until you open your mouth how literally evil you are. <<the only compliment applicable to Scott(Snot) Morrison.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
This might be a handy link for passing on to people who don't know how tax works: http://www.theguardian.com/australi...lic?CMP=soc_567

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Kickstarter Idea

Backpacks for Bogans

Buy a bogan a backpack and ask them to leave it near a travel hub or famous landmark.

Who wants in on the ground floor of this poo poo?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Has this been posted yet? Stolen from Reddit:

Guess the newspaper.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Halo14 posted:

Has this been posted yet? Stolen from Reddit:

Guess the newspaper.

All of them courier mail

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

T-1000 posted:

Ex-MP very angry at ICAC; sky blue; water wet.

The best part is that he cites Kate McClymont being sued as evidence of her being of ill-repute.

She is being sued by Eddie loving Obeid for defamation. That's like suing Woodward and Bernstein for saying bad things about Nixon.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Anidav posted:

What the gently caress? Even The Guardian believes in change from within?

Wasn't Luke Mansillo some ALP communications sec for somebody?

e; yeah, he works for Laurie Ferguson

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

https://twitter.com/mansillo

Enter if you dare

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

First thing I saw

:smug:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

"What is easier: 1000 more left labor members to end manus or the greens get an additional 5 million votes? #auspol"

Checkmate greentards.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
The Guardian is making gifs now.

Sorry if I'm stepping on your toes LordPants.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

The Age, keeping it classy.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy gently caress that smugness, can I smash him in the face can I can I?

• Locked thread