Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

it should be in a pk7/pk3 file, load that into gzdoom.
Ok, I see what happened. I opened it in Windows Explorer which decompressed it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Kind of reminds me of Half-Life's gibs. Blow up some dude and out come two livers, three hearts, and a couple of skulls.

I wish that was what happened in real life when someone gets blown up.

Then it would be funny instead of sad when you watch the news. As it is, you just kinda stop caring after a thousand people die in this or that conflict. It's like, "Why should I care? This doesn't affect me!"

But if there was some way of turning these massacres into something like America's Funniest Home Videos, we might actually care a little bit more about what happens in the rest of the world. There was a time when entertainment literally involved watching slaves and criminals butcher each other FOR OUR ENTERTAINMENT.

Why can't we go back to those days?

Like, we could take the WWE, add some body armor, axes, swords, flamethrowers, lions, and stuff like that, and it would be so awesome. We could have scripts and kayfabe, and lots of gore.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 22, 2015

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Dominic White posted:

Brutal Doom J (a variant of the mod) [...] comes with a tweaked version of Knee Deep In ZDoom
Yo dawg, I heard you like mods, etc

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Golden Souls is fun, but fiendish as hell.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Double Fine just updated their "Devs Play" video series with a bunch of videos of Romero playing/talking about Doom, here's the first one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6HlBa88js

I'm only up to the second video and he's already talking about all the Doom deathmatch variants he thought up while he was supposed to be working on Daikatana.

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Those videos are pretty neat, but the "yep yup yep yep yeah yep yeah totally yep yeah" soundtrack is really irritating

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, they're trying to frame it as a "conversation" between Romero and Bioshock Guy but he's just yupping away at everything Romero says.

I guess the problem (aside from the guy just being a bad interviewer) is that they're talking about something that's already been exhaustively detailed, so a lot of people have already heard all these anecdotes and it's hard to add anything more to them.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 22, 2015

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
At about 12 minutes into part 8 of that show Romero mentions that he gave the source for id's NeXT DoomEd to someone so that they could port it to Mac OS X. That would be cool to finally see.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Elliotw2 posted:

I want more games to have Serious Sam 3's gibbing options. You can choose between realistic or non-realistic red chunks of meat, green poo poo, carrots and flowers, or candy.

TF2 has non-realistic cartoony chunks of flesh, but if you put on the pyrovision goggles its all streamers and confetti and balloons :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

TF2 has non-realistic cartoony chunks of flesh, but if you put on the pyrovision goggles its all streamers and confetti and balloons :allears:
There's also "silly gibs" mode, used during TF's birthday and in countries like Germany, where gibs are replaced with gears, license plates, cheeseburgers, hubcaps, alarm clocks and the occasional balloon animal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cacodad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvFhz1h89zM

What source port is he playing this in? I'm growing tired of Brutal Doom and I want to set mine up to look exactly like this. It's perfect.

Oh man, I hadn't gotten that far in Going Down.

That is the most loving trippy insane map of Doom I've ever seen.

:golfclap: Cyriak you crazy genius

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I was thinking that while kind of cool it wasn't that impressive, then those things happened.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A few months ago I told Cyriak how much I liked the scripting in Going Down and he replied that his favorite bit of scripting in the whole WAD was a thing around Map10 or so where when you walked over a linedef, it randomly opened one of the walls on one side of you to reveal a monster closet, but not the other, so you couldn't predict it. (This is not something you can normally do in Boom, so he had set up a control sector with a monster aimlessly bumbling around that would walk over one of two carefully placed linedefs.) I thought it was interesting because it made me wonder how often it is that the accomplishment a game designer is most proud of is something that a player is never going to notice / think about.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow those Romero videos are awesome!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Ball Cupper posted:

Does anyone have any good DooM WADs that totally change things up? I've played that pirate one recently, and I'm aware of a Sonic WAD, but is there anything else out there that's really off-the-wall?

Try ZanZan, Action Doom or Chosen.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

The Kins posted:

There's also "silly gibs" mode, used during TF's birthday and in countries like Germany, where gibs are replaced with gears, license plates, cheeseburgers, hubcaps, alarm clocks and the occasional balloon animal.

Being honest? I prefer silly gibs mode over normal. It adds to the mind bending absurdity factor of TF2. :allears:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ball Cupper posted:

Greetings. You're welcome.

Does anyone have any good DooM WADs that totally change things up? I've played that pirate one recently, and I'm aware of a Sonic WAD, but is there anything else out there that's really off-the-wall?

Virus, Adventures of Square, Delaweare, Harmony, Forward Objective (and really, anything by LWM: Mech Commander, Periphery Wars, D'deridex Command, GZShmup, Cammy, Chibi Rebellion...)...

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The Turbo Arcade wads are completely different. They are minigame collections. I like the matrix bullet time parody level, and hitler's fireball evil head thing.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Zaphod42 posted:

(Oh hello there video, I know you from somewhere)

Going Down is really great, basically my favorite MegaWAD of these last 2-3 years. I'll admit I didn't beat all the maps in UV yet, but I like just starting up random maps in UV for a quick play, since the maps are just the right length for that (unlike Hellbound for instance).

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Vaos posted:

(Oh hello there video, I know you from somewhere)

Going Down is really great, basically my favorite MegaWAD of these last 2-3 years. I'll admit I didn't beat all the maps in UV yet, but I like just starting up random maps in UV for a quick play, since the maps are just the right length for that (unlike Hellbound for instance).

Dumb question I know, but what do I have to do to make my Doom look like yours for my Going Down playthrough?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cacodad posted:

Dumb question I know, but what do I have to do to make my Doom look like yours for my Going Down playthrough?
Smooth Doom. It adds more animation frames to the old sprites with some optional graphic tweaks like blood and Doom 64 weapon skins, without changing gameplay. As far as "enhancement mods" go, it's my definite favourite nowadays.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

I was thinking that while kind of cool it wasn't that impressive, then those things happened.

It kinda reminds me of Sector from ZPack, but more thematically interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1AEmXwQn7k

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

The Kins posted:

Smooth Doom. It adds more animation frames to the old sprites with some optional graphic tweaks like blood and Doom 64 weapon skins, without changing gameplay. As far as "enhancement mods" go, it's my definite favourite nowadays.

Edit: I'm dumb as poo poo. Thanks!

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 22, 2015

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

You've probably played it if you're in this thread, but if you haven't. I recommend Reelism. http://thekinsie.com/reelism/

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Since its being discussed in the Roguelike thread and its also an FPS in the flavour of Hexen, figure'd I'd bring it up here too:

Ziggurat is half off on Steam, its pretty good! You should at least give it a look. :3:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Since its being discussed in the Roguelike thread and its also an FPS in the flavour of Hexen, figure'd I'd bring it up here too:

Ziggurat is half off on Steam, its pretty good! You should at least give it a look. :3:

Hm, I like the idea of a modern Hexen-ish thing, but this comes across to me as a little too goofy and cartoony first of all (I loved that Heretic/Hexen was kinda dark) and also less like Doom style gameplay and more like Serious Sam style gameplay.

They're close, but its a significant difference. I'm not as keen on the huge arena Serious Sam stuff as much as running around hallways opening doors and getting keycards.

The environments are just too big. Its all circle strafe all the time.

And the weapons look kinda meh? :shrug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dominic White posted:

House of Mojo from Pirate Doom has some pretty cool effects, but they really don't match the whole room coming apart like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, exactly.

Sector is actually really cool, that's some drat impressive scripting and ... well, sectors.

But Insanity from Going Down is even more thematically interesting, it really ties the whole experience together. There's a nice self-contained narrative to that level.

You begin in a normal elevator. Then suddenly the elevator looks demonic and is moving fast. But you get out of the elevator, while its still descending? And you enter a floor of endless other identical elevators. For a moment the map feels really primitive, like a noob's first attempt at making a doom map by copy & pasting endlessly. But something's wrong. You explore the elevators and find monsters and items. You find a switch... and then the walls melt. The ground opens up into a chasm of blood, but just enough of the previous elevator-room remains to be extremely surreal, you've got hanging lights that morph into columns of blood. And the room is just full of monsters, so the tension is on.

I love the way the new room doesn't line up with the previous room whatsoever; he's stacking broken sectors together to really mix up the angles and the feel of the room. Amazing work, it must have taken him a long time to get right.

Finally you find yourself back in an elevator, trying to escape. You're running fast along a treadmill, and then you jump into a black void and end up.... back in the elevator where you started.
Like none of it was real.

I didn't know a Doom map could approximate a bad acid trip, but holy poo poo. I guess inanity and surrealism are Cyriak's bread and butter though, so if anybody can do it, its him.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

QwertySanchez posted:

You've probably played it if you're in this thread, but if you haven't. I recommend Reelism. http://thekinsie.com/reelism/

Ow, now I feel dumb for not including this, and Little White Mouse's works. Everyone should play Reelism.

To make this post less dumb, I've just found one of the "games remade in Doom" mods that I downloaded some years ago in a bundle:

Quake 2 for Doom 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75a6pCYEB4M

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nothing like flipping a switch to find yourself staring down a nightmare mastermind point blank on MAP03. Thanks Going Down.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Ball Cupper posted:

Greetings. You're welcome.

Batman doom, Scuba Steves Action doom series are pretty far from the standard doom experience

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think the author is a little confused about which Quake is which.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Thyrork posted:

I like to think of it more as a first-person Torchlight.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

There's no Satan like Satan as interpreted by early 90s metal fans.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Just gonna let anyone who was interested in Brutal Doom J know, it's kind of a piece of junk. First, it has a couple of really major glitches: invincibility powerups don't seem to work, and when enemies are killed on elevators it seems to jam them into place (the OP in the Zdoom forums thread says "yep, just use noclip" :effort: ). Also, it's just generally slower paced and less punchy than regular Brutal Doom, which is kind of the point of BD in the first place.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's no Satan like Satan as interpreted by early 90s metal fans.

I'm partial to early 70s metal satan, more :krad: flute solos.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Why is BD considered a 'piece of junk'? Yeah, people don't want it brought uo all the tine because they're sick of it... because it's popular, due to it being, I don't know, good?

It's not everyone's thing, I get that, but :psyduck: It's a well-made modification that got me playing Doom all over again, years ago.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
because "it's good" is entirely subjective and people are entitled to think the exact opposite for more or less equally valid reasons, just like any other "good" thing

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

daft punk railroad posted:

because "it's good" is entirely subjective and people are entitled to think the exact opposite for more or less equally valid reasons, just like any other "good" thing

That, and Ryoko wasn't even talking about regular Brutal Doom, they're talking about a fan variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

32in24-14 finally got released on /idgames. Somehow, we managed to produce 42 single-player maps in 24 hours that aren't an affront against man, nature and God, but are, in fact, actually pretty drat good. Worth a look! (I also might have done MAP23. Perhaps.)