Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

EC posted:

Can't tell if those are actual PS4s or just the faceplate things though.

Hideous is what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

EC posted:

Look, something to talk about that's not Dark Souls!

Can't tell if those are actual PS4s or just the faceplate things though.

A different shot:

They recently did the same for God Eater 2 and Yakuza Zero:

In Bloodborne's case, they're bundled with the limited edition of the game only. All of these are also Sony Store exclusive.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
I really wish the special Bloodborne PS4 was all grimy and bloody looking and not just a decal of the name. Oh well :sigh:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I wish it was just a red PS4 so they could just call it the Blood Red Bundle.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Hideous is what they are.
Yeah. They're pretty bad. In a positive light, I don't have to buy another PS4. Or pay an excessive amount of money to import it.

shock.wav
May 25, 2009
Okay I really want to be excited about this game. I loved Dark Souls 1 and 2 and can't wait for something similar.

But how come every video I see of this game is just the same few hundred metres of dark, gothic cobblestone streets? Is that the aesthetic of the entire game?

I got a little excited to see a new video on my news feed today, but it was just that same character, swinging the same giant hammer at the same pitchfork dudes in the same dark street.

Please tell me I'm just watching the wrong videos, and it's actually a huge game with varying environments like Dark Souls. Or that they're keeping the rest of the game under wraps, and just showing the first level.

I hope I'm wrong. I don't want another Dragon Age 2.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

shock.wav posted:

Please tell me I'm just watching the wrong videos, and it's actually a huge game with varying environments like Dark Souls. Or that they're keeping the rest of the game under wraps, and just showing the first level.

They're keeping things under wraps. If you want a different area, try looking at the videos for the Chalice Dungeon.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
For the trailers for Dark Souls 1 and 2, I remember that basically all we saw of the game until the last trailer before release were, like, the first area in both games.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

shock.wav posted:

Okay I really want to be excited about this game. I loved Dark Souls 1 and 2 and can't wait for something similar.

But how come every video I see of this game is just the same few hundred metres of dark, gothic cobblestone streets? Is that the aesthetic of the entire game?

I got a little excited to see a new video on my news feed today, but it was just that same character, swinging the same giant hammer at the same pitchfork dudes in the same dark street.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Dark Souls 1 promo pre-release trailers all focused on undead burg, Dark Souls 2 promo pre-release trailers all focused on cardinal tower.

Quit yo blubbering.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm hopeful for a really nifty, sprawling cathedral environment with a :black101: as gently caress priest boss fight

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

You visit the mushroom kingdom to save a princess. Genius.

My lore is dark souls is Mario's adventure from his perspective. We all thought its just goomba stomping fun but he's actually a hollowing husk plumber just trying to parry Bowser.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Perma-death after 3 deaths, no way to know what's coming except trial & error. Epic boss fights, powerful items, formidable enemies, and you had to finish the game in one sitting without turning it off or you'd start right from the beginning.

Yep, if anything Super Mario Bros. is more Souls than any Souls game.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

We know there's at least a swamp. Still, it's Victorian gothic so expect dimly lit streets, dimly lit castles, dimly lit forest and dimly lit sewers as levels.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Belfry Luna is minus world

Electromax
May 6, 2007

weekly font posted:

We know there's at least a swamp. Still, it's Victorian gothic so expect dimly lit streets, dimly lit castles, dimly lit forest and dimly lit sewers as levels.

Don't say "dimly lit" too much, then people will freak when the game has gaslamps that are too bright compared to the pre-release screenshots.

(note this is a joke please don't anyone start another DS2 lighting debate)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fromsoftgate

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Dark Souls 1 promo pre-release trailers all focused on undead burg, Dark Souls 2 promo pre-release trailers all focused on cardinal tower.

Quit yo blubbering.

I definitely remember a Dark Souls 2 pre-release trailer showing off bits of Dragon Aerie :colbert:

(And I was like "oh poo poo yes, dragons!")

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I definitely remember a Dark Souls 2 pre-release trailer showing off bits of Dragon Aerie :colbert:

(And I was like "oh poo poo yes, dragons!")

While the focus was on Forest of the Fallen Giants, I was surprised by how much of Dark Souls 2 was shown pre-release. Huntsman's Copse, the Iron Keep, Majula, Harvest Valley, Lost Bastille, the King's Passage.. a LOT was shown pre-release.

That said, I definitely don't mind From keeping the cards close to their chest when it comes to Bloodborne areas. It's nice to be surprised.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

shock.wav posted:

I updated the screenshots in the OP just for you, though even before they showed a few different locations.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Frampt will pay a premium for womens' clothes and turds, his preferred lunches.

Haha I forgot about this.

I like the Frampt / Kaathe design a whole lot because it looks silly on paper but is really kind of spooky when you're standing next to it. It reminds me of vampire bats or bonobos-- they look comical because they're not designed to fit a human sense of aesthetics. It does a lot to sell the idea that they're primordial.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Frampt just turning up out of nowhere was so weird and brilliant.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Leyburn posted:

Frampt just turning up out of nowhere was so weird and brilliant.

It's even better since it is hinted at (after ringing the first bell if you pass over the water-filled area he comes out of you hear him grumbling).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The english VA they got for him is really nice too because he just does not sound at all how I expected him to sound.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Max posted:

The english VA they got for him is really nice too because he just does not sound at all how I expected him to sound.

They got the same guy back for Straid in DS2.

What are the lore implications??

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Max posted:

english VA
English is actually the default language for Souls games, there isn't any Japanese voice acting.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
God drat am I excited for this game. Trying very very hard to just enjoy Dark Souls without constantly comparing it to the Bloodborne trailers and stuff (not that it's hard, DS is phenomenal).

I do wish I'd gotten into the Souls games earlier though. I've had a PS3 for ages and didn't know Demons Souls even existed. I knew about DS I and II but I actually only picked up DSI due to seeing a Bloodborne trailer and doing some research. Absolutely hooked on the game so far and haven't even touched DeS or DSII; I'm just gonna wait for the PS4 version since my PS3 is slowly dying and I can actually only get DS to run if I let the game load while holding the system in the air disc tray up (so I really hope DeS and DS get PS4 rereleases in the years to come).

My only worry is that after playing Bloodborne and then getting to DSII that it'll feel lackluster or slow or something. Did anybody who got to play the BB alpha feel that way upon going back to any of the Souls games? I'd grab DSII for my PS3 but I'm concerned the system just wouldn't do it with the state its in.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The nice thing about DS2 is it's getting a PS4 rerelease with all the DLC included, so wait for that.

Maybe someday the From Fairy will grant us PS4 DeS but there's no sign yet except that they've been playing it a lot at Japanese events leading up to Bloodborne, and that's probably just to promote Miyazaki/FROM. They don't play DS1 at these events, I assume because Sony didn't co-dev.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I really hope Demon's Souls gets a remaster, such a great game that deserves more people playing it. It's a miracle that it took off slowly and steadily the way it did.

If I remember right, it only started off as a 50,000 copy print run in Japan or something crazy tiny like that. It was never even supposed to come out in America and Europe.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

weekly font posted:

I can't wait for From to throw a curveball and have sections set in big fancy manors and tropical beaches.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thank the goons for putting that game on my radar. Didnt that thread last up until like loving Dark Souls 2??

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really really hope DeS gets a remaster or port, because my roommate's PS3 died after I got through Boletaria and I haven't been able to place since, and I really liked what I had done so far.

I don't want to buy a PS4 just for bloodborne and a PS3 just for DeS but if I could get a PS4 for both, that'd probably be good enough to justify the cost.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I really really hope DeS gets a remaster or port, because my roommate's PS3 died after I got through Boletaria and I haven't been able to place since, and I really liked what I had done so far.

I don't want to buy a PS4 just for bloodborne and a PS3 just for DeS but if I could get a PS4 for both, that'd probably be good enough to justify the cost.

there's more than a strong chance demons souls goes to ps now eventually

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Real hurthling! posted:

there's more than a strong chance demons souls goes to ps now eventually

While true, I'd much rather have a remastered digital copy that I can buy as opposed to a streamed version I have to pay $20/mo for.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

EC posted:

While true, I'd much rather have a remastered digital copy that I can buy as opposed to a streamed version I have to pay $20/mo for.

sure sure but thats not gonna happen in the digital future of now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just wish they were packing DS1 into the DS2 re-release. Would have been a much more exciting package. I hope publishers realize they need to sweeten the deal more if they are going to try to get me to re buy a game I just bought a year ago.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

NESguerilla posted:

I just wish they were packing DS1 into the DS2 re-release. Would have been a much more exciting package. I hope publishers realize they need to sweeten the deal more if they are going to try to get me to re buy a game I just bought a year ago.

I bought the retard statue edition for 360 and I'm still excited for the ps4 version because the 150 odd hours I put into it weren't enough before it redringed. I never got to play the DLC either. Sure the enviromental design was crappier than DaS1 but it had more of everything else that was just as good or better.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Vintersorg posted:

I thank the goons for putting that game on my radar. Didnt that thread last up until like loving Dark Souls 2??

You talking about the Demon's thread? It's still here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3106674

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The souls threads are invincible and will never die unless they're deliberately put down, which happened for the pre-release threads for Dark Souls 1 and 2 and will probably happen with this one too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

OxMan posted:

I bought the retard statue edition for 360 and I'm still excited for the ps4 version because the 150 odd hours I put into it weren't enough before it redringed. I never got to play the DLC either. Sure the enviromental design was crappier than DaS1 but it had more of everything else that was just as good or better.

Oh dude the DLC is by far the best part of Dark Souls 2.

Like the DS2 DLC is maybe better than DS1. Its that good.

You done missed out! Get in on that poo poo!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The souls threads are invincible and will never die unless they're deliberately put down, which happened for the pre-release threads for Dark Souls 1 and 2 and will probably happen with this one too.

The souls threads died long ago. They're hollow threads now, and they'll never stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Like the DS2 DLC is maybe better than DS1. Its that good.

nah its good and very tough but its not better designed than ds1 areas like painted world or oolacile

• Locked thread