Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

The Courier Mail seems to be telling me something...
BIKIES SUPPORTING UNIONS
LABOR AND THE GREENS WORKING TOGETHER
LNP HAS NO DIRTY DONATIONS TO HIDE
NEWMAN WINS UNBIASED PEOPLES FORUM
LABOR LABOR PANTS ON FIRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Welcome to QLD, where blackmail is literally government policy

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-24/no-guarantees-on-projects-if-electorates-snub-lnp-newman/6044122

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

i cannot loving believe this

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

They do that in the Brisbane City Council already. BCC literally hates the south side, which are typically Labor seats, and don't really bother with ensuring services like public transport and the like are reliable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do Electors Need Proof of Id to Vote at the Queensland Election?

Despite twitter outrage on the subject, electors do not need Id to vote at the Queensland election on 31 January.

Electors need proof of identity to cast an ordinary vote at the Queensland election. An ordinary vote is one where you are handed a ballot paper and the completed ballot paper is placed directly into the ballot box. I list acceptable proof of identity documents at the end of this post.

An ordinary vote is by far the easiest way of voting, so electors wanting to minimise the amount of time they spend in a polling place should make sure they bring proof of identity.

But if an elector does not have acceptable proof of Id, they will still be allowed to vote. The elector will be directed to a different desk where they will be given a declaration vote, in the same way absent and silent voters complete a declaration vote.

Electors should not be frightened into thinking they cannot vote without proof of Id. All electors on the roll will be permitted to vote, but electors voting in their home electorate without the correct proof of Id will need to complete a declaration envelope as well as their ballot paper.

Proof of Id rules apply to pre-poll voting and to within electorate polling day votes. They do not apply to postal, absent and declared institution votes where declarations are already required.
With a declaration vote, electors have to complete a declaration envelope with their name and address details. After completing their vote, the ballot paper is placed in the declaration envelope, the envelope is sealed and the envelope placed in a declaration vote ballot box.

That is the end of the process for the elector. There is no requirement to supply proof of Id after polling day, as is the case with provisional votes at federal elections.

In post election day counting, all the insufficient Id declaration votes will be processed by first checking whether the details on the envelope match details on the electoral roll. A second check will be whether an ordinary vote was recorded for the elector on polling day. If validated, identification is removed from the envelope, and later all votes will be removed from their envelopes and counted.

Clearly it will be easier and quicker to vote if electors bring appropriate proof of Id, as electors will only have to queue once and will not have to complete the declaration envelope.

If an elector does not have Id, voting will be slower because the elector will need to join a second second queue, fill in the declaration envelope, and hope they haven't make a mistake that might result in the vote being rejected in the post-election day processing.

Details of accepted proof of Id are set out in the Queensland Electoral Regulations and can be found at this page on the ECQ's website.

Let me quote the details. First the Commission states the following, which as I've already outlined, means voters will NOT be turned away if they do not have proof of Id.

Changes to the Queensland Electoral Act now require all electors to show proof of identity in order to cast an ordinary vote. If electors are unable to provide Proof of Identity they will still be able to vote by completing a declaration of their details at the time of voting.
The ECQ then sets out the following -

Approved Proof of Identity documents are –

a current driver licence;
a current Australian passport;
a Voter Information Letter issued by the Commission;
a recent document evidencing electoral enrolment;
an identification card issued by the Commonwealth or State evidencing the person’s entitlement to a financial benefit;
Examples -
A Commonwealth seniors health card, health care card, Medicare card, pensioner concession card or repatriation health card
an adult proof of age card issued by the State;
a recent account or notice issued by a local government or a public utility provider;
Examples –
a council rates notice, electricity account statement, gas account statement or water bill
a recent account statement, current account card or current credit card issued by a financial institution;
a recent account statement issued by a carriage service provider as defined under theTelecommunications Act 1997 (Cwlth);
Examples –
A telephone bill or internet bill
a recent notice of assessment issued under the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 (Cwlth)
When used at the Stafford by-election, 99.1% of voters had appropriate Id. I've previously written on how the rules operated at the Stafford by-election.

As I wrote following Stafford, I think these Id laws are unnecessary. There is little evidence of personation at Australian elections, and these laws will do nothing to stop multiple voting.

Of greater interest at the Queensland election is the use of electronic roll mark-off. In 23 urban electorates electronic rolls will be used. These will update a central server which will allow people attempting multiple votes to be spotted.

The evidence related to multiple voting in Australia shows that the overwhelming majority of instances of multiple voting are in fact clerical error in marking-off the roll, not multiple votes. (See my blog post on the Chatsworth judgment in 2009) There are fewer errors with electronic mark-off, but there will still be allowance to prevent voters being denied a vote by incorrect mark-off.

The proof of Id rules may be more difficult to implement at the general election than they were at the Stafford by-election. There was no absent voting at the Staffod by-election, and the queus for absent voting may complicate declaration voting for electors with insufficiant Id.

In short, when voting take proof of Id with you to speed up the process, but still turn up if you don't have Id as you will be allowed to cast a declaration vote.

You do not need Proof of Id to vote, only to cast at ordinary vote. Electors should not be deterred from turning up to vote. You should not be turned away from voting as long as your name is on the electoral roll.

If you are not on the printed electoral roll, but you have applied to go on the roll after 10 January and before 30 January, you will be permitted to cast a declaration vote and Id will not be required.

If you are not on the roll but think you should be listed, you may be given a provisional vote, which will only be counted if the Commission can verify that you have been left off the roll in error.

Very few people are ever turned away at elections without being given the opportunity to vote in one way or another.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm very uninformed on the subject, but how can you live in this day and age without any kind of proof of ID, and why is it a big deal™ to have to bring proof of ID to a polling center?

Again, this isn't supposed to be any kind of jab or anything, I'm just really confused.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Leo Showers posted:

I'm very uninformed on the subject, but how can you live in this day and age without any kind of proof of ID, and why is it a big deal™ to have to bring proof of ID to a polling center?

Again, this isn't supposed to be any kind of jab or anything, I'm just really confused.

It's to stop the Blacks from voting

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Jumpingmanjim posted:

you have got to be making GBS threads me

if this is legitimately the reason then i've lost all hope in the QLD electoral process

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

And the homeless/disadvantaged.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leo Showers posted:

It depends on how much you need, honestly. If you don't have a driver's license (and there's plenty of reasons not to), it suddenly becomes really hard to manage in a lot of the contexts you want an ID.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

It depends on how much you need, honestly. If you don't have a driver's license (and there's plenty of reasons not to), it suddenly becomes really hard to manage in a lot of the contexts you want an ID.

Pretty much. I keep my learner's licence updated and on me despite the fact that I really don't like driving and don't think I should be put in control of a car, as well as keeping my passport up to date, because it is really good for ID. My cousin is trying to get a passport now and change her name legally (she's blossoming into a beautiful young m'lady) and it is a real loving trial because she has like no loving ID whatsoever aside from a birth certificate in her birth name. If you don't have a driver's licence it's really hard to get anything else, which really fucks you up for the 100 points of ID you need for practically everything these days.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

CrazyTolradi posted:

And the homeless/disadvantaged.

Amd the young.

Antony Green goes into great detail about exactly why voter ID is un-necessary in the comments on the article: http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2015/01/do-electors-need-id-to-vote-at-the-queensland-election.html#comments\

tl:dr is that electronic electoral rolls (not ballots) will mitigate the mutiple votes by a single elector very easily.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 24, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
It is not a coincidence that the people who would be affected adversely by voter ID laws are the same people who might be more likely to vote against the LNP (very old, young, homeless, not-white-enough people including Aboriginal people and people from overseas, highly mobile, people with impaired organisational skills, poors, etc).

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Oh and obviously as I mentioned trans people and/or goony shut-ins and/or goony trans shut-ins. People get weird about my mother's name being different on some of her ID (she usually goes by her middle name, like C. EVERYWHERE Citizen, rather than her official first name, like CROWS E. Citizen, as does her sister (the third sister uses a different name entirely because :shrug:)). Trying to get your details changed from John Citizen to Jane Citizen or vice versa gets very headachey, doubly so if your inter-personal skills are through the floor.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I was explaining this all to an acquaintance who usually votes LNP and his reply was "Wait... What... You mean homeless people are allowed to vote?"

:suicide:

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I was explaining this all to an acquaintance who usually votes LNP and his reply was "Wait... What... You mean homeless people are allowed to vote?"

:suicide:

LNP Policy # 57: Bring back property ownership requirements for electors.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

haha Campbell Newman just got asked about the political blackmail thing, fumbles around.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Vote #1 Bikies

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

A vote for labour is a vote for beatniks!:argh:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Weekend Bullshit Roundup:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-24/islamic-state-recruiting-more-australian-fighters-brandis-warns/6044556

quote:

Senator Brandis said intelligence agencies had noticed the "disturbing" demographic shift in the last six months.

"More and more very young people are ... being enticed and ensnared here in Australia with the false glamour of participating in the civil war on behalf of ISIL, or daesh," he said.

"The Australian people should be aware that this is a real and growing problem."

Senator Brandis said that despite earlier concerns that more young men were travelling to fight overseas, the figures now showed more young women were joining the terrorist group.

"At an earlier time, perhaps even six months ago, we were concerned almost entirely about young men," he said.

"But a more recent estimate by the national security agencies suggests that a growing number of young women are travelling to participate in that fighting as well."

This advertisement for ASIO and AFP brought to you by Brandis QC: if you feel under-utilized and left out, get a power funding shot in the arm with Brandis, he'll say anything you tell him!

(no I take this information with a massive grain of salt given the people they are shopping are people who told them to go gently caress themselves when they tried to recruit/heavy them).

Who's shitscared? Greg's shitscared!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-24/government-issues-ban-on-dredge-spoil-dumping-on-barrier-reef/6044462

*slow clap* Great Greg, dumping sludge on wetlands instead of the reef, pleasing noone.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Actually printed in the Courier Mail posted:

LEFT FINDS A MOUTHPIECE

I HOPE the Queensland election campaign is not derailed by the falsehoods and exaggerations peddled by Fairfax shock-jock Alan Jones.

The Mouth from the South wouldn’t have a clue about Queensland yet he has become the spokesman for the Greens and the Labor Left. His attack on Campbell Newman and his ministers this week was riddled with inaccuracies.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When Newman called the election, Jones ended his holiday early so he could go on air in Queensland. He really hates Newman

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

The Queensland premier has accused the Labor party of accepting donations from bikies but when asked for evidence has told journalists to “Google it”.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I did google it, and all I found was Newman claiming there were links closely followed by the herald sun printing the Victorian libs claiming there were links and making the same claims on their website. It clearly didn't help the Victorian Libs one bit.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Is accusing your political opponent of taking funding from criminal organisations the sort of thing that leads to being sued?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

An arson investigation has been launched after a suspicious fire at a mosque in Toowoomba, in Queensland.

Police say it appears someone lit a fire in a plastic bin after they forced entry to a wooden building next to the main Mosque building on West Street, just after 1pm on Saturday.

A gas stove was also deliberately turned on, but the leaking gas failed to ignite.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/01/24/16/34/toowoomba-mosque-fire-suspicious-police#Ki0KBiSipF5T30yw.99

Good work guys.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

Is accusing your political opponent of taking funding from criminal organisations the sort of thing that leads to being sued?

It leads to your defamation suits being laughed out of court, I'm willing to suggest.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So is Libs deflecting the moment to expand upon their talking points with "Google it" a new thing?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Do you want this for your state?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Who doesn't love beatniks?

quote:

I'm looking for an eternal happiness, really.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Pretty much. I keep my learner's licence updated and on me despite the fact that I really don't like driving and don't think I should be put in control of a car, as well as keeping my passport up to date, because it is really good for ID. My cousin is trying to get a passport now and change her name legally (she's blossoming into a beautiful young m'lady) and it is a real loving trial because she has like no loving ID whatsoever aside from a birth certificate in her birth name. If you don't have a driver's licence it's really hard to get anything else, which really fucks you up for the 100 points of ID you need for practically everything these days.

The Proof of Age Card doesn't have to be updated every 6 months etc, pay for it once and you're done (as far as I believe)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

starkebn posted:

The Proof of Age Card doesn't have to be updated every 6 months etc, pay for it once and you're done (as far as I believe)

My proof of age card expires in 2023...when I will no longer be over 18, because I am benjamin button?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mithranderp posted:

My proof of age card expires in 2023...when I will no longer be over 18, because I am benjamin button?

So as to renew the photo and make identification easier I guess?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Mithranderp posted:

My wife is a non-drivery person, and both her ACT and NSW POA cards have no expiry date - she's been using the same one for fifteen years or more, with no new photo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

starkebn posted:

I remember that also being a pain to get without a license, at least when I tried to do it last year. Granted, I lacked a lot of the other things I would've needed to get the ID too, but not having a license or passport was definitely the biggest.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Gorbash posted:

My wife is a non-drivery person, and both her ACT and NSW POA cards have no expiry date - she's been using the same one for fifteen years or more, with no new photo.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/nsw-photo-card.html

quote:

Your NSW Photo Card is valid for five years

I have a mate who has struggled to get one of these cards since turning 25 because no one believes he doesn't drive. Eventually he ended up getting his L plates to stop the hassle.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

South Australian Proof of Age cards don't expire and you only need to get a new photo if you're ordering a replacement and haven't had one in ten years.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
TBH I'm just glad that Queensland licences/ proof of age cards no longer look like they were made in someone's home office.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Mithranderp posted:

TBH I'm just glad that Queensland licences/ proof of age cards no longer look like they were made in someone's home office.

Didn't someone ITT say they were made out of paper before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Didn't someone ITT say they were made out of paper before?

They used to be. New ones are plastic.

e. It was laminated paper just to be clear.

• Locked thread