Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Darkman Fanpage posted:

what the gently caress. this place looks horrible. it looks like some kind of dystopia where you are provided excellent service but there is nothing to do

The Grand Bushidopest Hotel :henget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

I want to see these guys charge a pillbox.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Zzulu posted:

is there even a single good japanese song

New World Order and stuff that is good only because of entertaining videos does not count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rxGmvQPLU

This was in some ML goon's av for awhile. I forget who.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

what the gently caress. this place looks horrible. it looks like some kind of dystopia where you are provided excellent service but there is nothing to do

That is essentially the case. It does have what was at one point the largest indoor water park in the world, but of course that's one of the things that has been closed. It's a terrible destination resort, and the area where it's located is far too sparsely populated to support it without massive numbers of tourists that never materialized. Imagine building a multibillion dollar resort in like rural Idaho and you get the picture. The damage done to the Japanese economy by the 80s - early 90s bubble cannot be overstated. poo poo was hosed and they're still paying for it.

quote:

There could be no clearer example of the mismatch between the perceived need for relaxation and communion with the natural order, and the policies adopted in practice, than this 1987 [Resort] Law. Relaxation, along with freshness, greenness, and “my life”, was incidental to what happened. The expansionary thrust of Japanese capitalism shifted into a higher gear. The Resort Archipelago formula devised by PM Yasuhiro Nakasone created a huge new market and fed fierce expansionary pressures…In the Green Japan Plan Phase Two, published in 1988, resorts were described for the first time as “a new basic industry for Japan”. When Nakasone spoke of his ideal for Japan of “peace, freedom, and verdant greenery”, it should be understood that what he meant was…a land of chemicalized golf courses, expensive marinas, toll expressways that penetrated the deepest mountains, and resorts that multiplied the ideology and aesthetics of Disneyland, where culture meant consumption.

Gavan McCormack, The Emptiness of Japanese Affluence (1996)

And the fun thing is it's all playing out again in China on a far grander scale.

There's another giant billion dollar hotel, the Windsor Toya,

up in Hokkaido at Lake Toya, the area surrounding which looks like

but apparently they're still doing alright for now, also on wealthy Chinese tourists.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://soundcloud.com/satellite-young/sets/break-break-tic-tac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4yc5fQ4lDA

So 80s

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

nah, i fully expect everyone to scroll right through

I've read your post. All of it. Thanks.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

even their graffiti is more colorful

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

nah, i fully expect everyone to scroll right through.

I read it and I'm now hooked on his blog.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

If there is a queue for food in Osaka it is likely to be worth the wait.

lol no its not.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Beef posted:

Osaka is called Japan's kitchen for a reason.

Because it served up food during the war. The food in Tokyo is much nicer.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

why would someone fetishize hosed up teeth? Theirs is a rich culture envied by the world.

because it implies that they're too young to have braces. The japanese fetishise elementary school age children to the level where maids in aki dress up like them in the school uniform.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
who can take me to japan to steal these abandoned places

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

wait a couple more years and you can have them for free

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

as for the queuing - i saw a 2.5 hour queue for sushi in a place surrounded by other sushi restaurants. I asked the person I was with if the sushi was going to be 150 x nicer than the surrounding sushi and I was told that 'for the Japanese, we like to queue because every minute spent waiting makes the food more delicious'

recently some people were queuing for some trashy gadget and a TV interviewer asked one of the girls why she was waiting and she said 'because I don't have anything else to do on a Saturday. It's exciting!'

So there are your answers.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Looks like I could make a monopoly in japan by selling practically anything.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I went to Japan last year. It's a fun place and the people are pretty chill:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dizz posted:

Looks like I could make a monopoly in japan by selling practically anything.

as long as its novel go for it. I would like to have a ramen shop staffed by dogs. The only human employees are paid to wait in line

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Let's take a bullet (Nozomi, the fastest one) from Tokyo all the way down to Hakata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceqDG7t9O5c
Actually quite relaxing to leave on in the background. Very pleasant ambient white noise.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

didnt realise it was over 5 hours. geez. lol at people who think japan is small (including the japanese themselves!)

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

opus111 posted:

didnt realise it was over 5 hours. geez. lol at people who think japan is small (including the japanese themselves!)
Peep this map

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Some of those deserted places look like they'd be amazing to explore the natural surroundings, especially the Windsor Toya. Granted that would only appeal to an extremely small subset of travelers, so I can see why those places bleed money.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

opus111 posted:

its five hours because they have to slow down every time they get near populated areas. I took the bullet train and it spent less than half of the time going top speed.

Benadryl Brownie
Aug 18, 2005

Haway les gars

fyodor posted:

i already posted guitar wolf what more do you want

Guitar Wolf rules

There's always Polysics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhS0KozuxEo

Melt Banana too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F0YuPjZ2a0

Benadryl Brownie fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 24, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

:frogout:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

they left out the other member of the band

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Accretionist posted:

Have you taken a guided tour before? I was pretty happy with one I took of Ireland. They pretty much rolled us from buffet to buffet with events and sites in-between and it was total easy-mode. Having everything taken care of for you is incredibly relaxing.

Personally, Japan's top of my foreign travel list and I'm thinking a guided tour with a few extra days before flying out sounds about right.

Guided tours are loving stupid as hell and a waste of money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAdC2GtvgRA

EDIT: Oh someone already posted them. I saw them a couple times in the states and they are nice people.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 24, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I've read your post. All of it. Thanks.

Grim Up North posted:

I read it and I'm now hooked on his blog.

Ah, cool. Yeah, he's a great writer.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

as long as its novel go for it. I would like to have a ramen shop staffed by dogs. The only human employees are paid to wait in line

Along those lines, here is a katsu joint managed by a pig.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Demonachizer posted:

Guided tours are loving stupid as hell and a waste of money.

I'm just going to assume you wasted a bunch of money on a bad one. I've been to Europe a handful of times, once with a guided tour, and every trip was great.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

GDP per capita, in inflation-adjusted US$, by year, perhaps?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
It's the Nikkei 225, their stock index.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

simplefish posted:

GDP per capita, in inflation-adjusted US$, by year, perhaps?

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Accretionist posted:

It's the Nikkei 225, their stock index.

The stock bubble stock was pretty hilarious since the Japanese argued there was no bubble in 1980s before the crash.

Mainly because Japanese land was inherently more valuable compared to western countries and also how you couldn't directly compare values of Japanese countries vs. US stocks since the account was different.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Just walking down the street, look over the side of the bridge, human centipede park benches. Everywhere.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Zzulu posted:

New World Order and stuff that is good only because of entertaining videos does not count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Zzulu posted:

you're probably a loving pleb but the Japanese do really good jazz

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Japan's non-idol music is shockingly good, but the Japanese music industry is dominated by 10,000s of otakus buying 10-1000s of copies of each CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
They also do great whiskey.

FILEPHOTO:

• Locked thread