Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Yes there are fees associated with any electronic payment. For some businesses the fees vary based on type of transaction and creditor.

Ah, gotcha, I guess I just assumed it was nonexistent (or like, a penny or two) for pin transactions. Guess I'll bring cash next time, this was a spur of the moment pickup after getting a deal on stew meat at the grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

This changed in 2010 or there about. You can require up to a 10$ minimum.

With one caveat: if there's no sign posted about the minimum, they're violating their Visa merchant agreement and will get in trouble if you tattle on them.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ah, gotcha, I guess I just assumed it was nonexistent (or like, a penny or two) for pin transactions. Guess I'll bring cash next time, this was a spur of the moment pickup after getting a deal on stew meat at the grocery store.

Smaller the business worse the rates. Usually there is a minimum charge per transaction to the shop and 5% of all sales. A really big store, I.e. Wal-Mart, just pays a pre negotiated % of all sales, say 1 or 2%

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Irish Joe posted:

I know the roll of flab that hangs over the waist of women's pants is called a muffin top, but what about the flab that hangs over the top of their bra straps? Is that also considered a muffin top, or is there another, more appropriate, term for it?

For smallish amounts: back fat, bra rolls, back bacon

For large amounts: back boobs

Fat poking out under shorts: bottom biscuits

Large abdomen bisected by a vertical scar: front butt

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

This changed in 2010 or there about. You can require up to a 10$ minimum.
And if we wanted to get persnickity a merchant could just refuse sales under an arbitrary amount.

Good to know, thanks!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does Open Office really not have a spell checker?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kurtofan posted:

Does Open Office really not have a spell checker?

I think you have to download the spellcheck dictionary separately.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tiggum posted:

I think you have to download the spellcheck dictionary separately.

Good call, thanks.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

A while ago, but probably not too long ago there was an Ask/Tell (??) thread about The Bible and Biblical scholarship. It was not written by a religious person I think, but more of a historian or something? It had a ton of details on the Bible, the history of the Bible and the people and groups involved in it.

I had found it many times in the past, but now suddenly I can't find it anymore. Maybe it was archived. I have archives, but you know, archives search. I tried the one archive search made by the creepy guy but I couldn't find anything and that thing is half broken anyway. Can anyone help me find it?

I know it is NOT the book barn Bible thread.

It is also none of these threads
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1557016
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1560222
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297733
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381676

Thanks in advance.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

When they subtitle foreign films, in places like China and Japan where the writing system would make it hard, what do they do about foreign proper nouns?

(Inspired by watching a period drama with someone who said "they sell these internationally".)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dzhay posted:

When they subtitle foreign films, in places like China and Japan where the writing system would make it hard, what do they do about foreign proper nouns?

(Inspired by watching a period drama with someone who said "they sell these internationally".)

The Japanese writing system has an entire set of characters to use for foreign words. I think in Chinese they just pick characters which are pronounced close to the right sounds? I'm not sure what happens before there's an official set of characters for it though.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Google's not helping me out here, though maybe I'm just not using the right search terms.

Why are French burnt peanuts called French burnt peanuts? When you think about it, it's a pretty unattractive name for a candy.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

In Korea they just sound it out in Korean writing. Detroit becomes 디트로이트 (diteuroiteu). Barack Obama becomes 버라크 오바마 (beorakeu obama). There is no capitalization thing for proper nouns here because there's no such thing as a Korean capital letter.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

BrainDance posted:

In Korea they just sound it out in Korean writing. Detroit becomes 디트로이트 (diteuroiteu). Barack Obama becomes 버라크 오바마 (beorakeu obama). There is no capitalization thing for proper nouns here because there's no such thing as a Korean capital letter.

Korean doesn't really count though, as it's alphabetic. (Why the extra "eu"? Something to do with noun declension?)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dzhay posted:

Korean doesn't really count though, as it's alphabetic. (Why the extra "eu"? Something to do with noun declension?)

Although it's an alphabet of independent characters, it's usually written as a syllabary in actual usage since you almost always combine two or three letters into a single "block" when writing so that each written character is a full syllable. And since it's rare that you write a letter by itself, everything tends to be represented as sets of at least two letters, hence the "KEU" at the end of "Barack"- you would typically pronounce it as really just the K.

Japanese is similar with its katakana and hiragana syllabaries, except there each character is its own symbol rather than being composed of other symbols directly.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Barak is typically written as 바락 (Ba-rak), so that's not a good example. There are certain letter sounds that do not occur at the ends of syllables, however. For example, the consonant ㅅ sounds kinda like an "s" at the beginning of a syllable and a "t" at the end of one. Therefore, if you're trying to Hangeul-ize a word like "nice," it has to turn into 나이스 (na-i-seu) because, if you didn't add an extra syllable, it would read 나잇 (na-it).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i'm so glad i only had to learn two asian alphabets to play video games

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What is the conversion rate of Liquid Natural Gas

From Cubic Meters to Metric Tons?

So far I've found several different answers.

edit: I think it's .456 because
1 cubic meter of LNG = 456 kilograms
1 kilogram = .001 metric tons
therefore 1 cubic meter of lng = .456 metric tons

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 25, 2015

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What is the conversion rate of Liquid Natural Gas

From Cubic Meters to Metric Tons?

The word you're looking for is density.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/liquefied-natural-gas-lng-d_1092.html posted:

The density of LNG is roughly in the range 410 to 500 kg/m3. The volume of the liquid is approximately 1/600 of the gaseous volume at atmospheric conditions.

So, a cubic meter of LNG would be 0.41 to 0.5 metric tons according to that.

(Sanity check: the density of water is about 1000 kg/m3, or 1 metric ton per cubic meter.
Anything less dense than that will float, denser stuff will sink.)

If you want to get fancy, the density of LNG is dependent on exact composition and temperature:
http://www.unitrove.com/engineering/tools/gas/liquefied-natural-gas-density

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

telcoM posted:

The word you're looking for is density.

So, a cubic meter of LNG would be 0.41 to 0.5 metric tons according to that.

(Sanity check: the density of water is about 1000 kg/m3, or 1 metric ton per cubic meter.
Anything less dense than that will float, denser stuff will sink.)

If you want to get fancy, the density of LNG is dependent on exact composition and temperature:
http://www.unitrove.com/engineering/tools/gas/liquefied-natural-gas-density

Cool thanks for the feedback. I knew that was the density, I was just over thinking the problem.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Are barcodes universal? Is anyone info stored in them i.e. would a generic scanner extract the name and price regardless of store?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

Are barcodes universal? Is anyone info stored in them i.e. would a generic scanner extract the name and price regardless of store?

All that a standard product barcode stores is the numbers you see printed above or below it. It's up to the stores' databases to know what price 049000031096 should have.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

All that a standard product barcode stores is the numbers you see printed above or below it. It's up to the stores' databases to know what price 049000031096 should have.

Is the name stored in the code at all? Or does it vary?

I'm correcting student essays and they want to keep track of food in a fridge with a barcode scanner, pretty sure it won't work.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

No just the numbers, but there might be a publicly available list of common numbers to product names.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Xenoborg posted:

No just the numbers, but there might be a publicly available list of common numbers to product names.

Well they didn't reference it so I can't count it if there is.

Thanks both of you for the help!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EmmyOk posted:

I'm correcting student essays and they want to keep track of food in a fridge with a barcode scanner, pretty sure it won't work.

Nope! Part of the codes are meant to be ranges that might be usually used only by a certain country, and other parts are supposed to be ranges that only certain companies own, but anyone can print whatever barcodes they want. And like, codes that start with 978 are supposed to always be books.

However for the purposes of that essay, most non-store-brand products use the same UPC everywhere. You could get a hold of a database from a major retailer and know what the barcodes represent. The thing is it's common for various store brands and regional brands to end up reusing the same codes, but typically competing supermarkets won't be carrying each others' products.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I wouldn't ding them too hard for that, it's feasible because most food tracking apps just crowd source their barcode databases and it works nearly perfectly. Pointing My Fitness Pal at pretty much any food item in my house with a barcode returns that item in the database. A fridge food tracker thing would work fine with a similar database, though I don't know why I'd want to catalogue the items in my fridge.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

http://www.upcfoodsearch.com would work for their purpose.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

If you scanned the 16oz container of cottage cheese when you put it in, then scanned it again when you took it out, it would add that item to your list. But to add the generic "cottage cheese" to your list would be difficult.

That said, it's a clever idea, cut the kid some slack!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am not a tyrant! It's a neat idea just needs some work and referencing!

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Large abdomen bisected by a vertical scar: front butt

I believe the correct term is "gunt."

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

I am not a tyrant! It's a neat idea just needs some work and referencing!

A similar idea has been implemented in microwave ovens with limited success. The user scans the UPC on the product package and the oven cooks to direction. Your students can use this book as a reference (see the bottom of the page). I seem to remember some of the more recent microwaves with scanners included the ability to manually enter items which would alleviate concerns of changing barcodes. It still seems onerous for a microwave though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

EmmyOk posted:

It can vary from database to database. When I was a register jockey at Blockbuster we sold candy and one of the items on offer were small boxes of Nerds. One flavor rang up for 99 cents. The other flavor rang up as an obscure French film that retailed for $75, vhs.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

EmmyOk posted:

If you're talking about gold old-fashioned UPC, then there is some standardization. Wikipedia has a list, but generally speaking, the five digits on the left are the manufacturer code, which is handed out by some trade organization. The right five is the code for the product, which you'd probably have to research out (like a previous poster said, crowd sourcing). So you could naively tell that a UPC is a General Mills cereal, but to know if it's Cheerios or Lucky Charms, you'd have to reference some database with the product codes.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

EmmyOk posted:

There are plenty of phone apps that will let you scan a barcode to add to a grocery list, for example, so the databases that exist are solid enough to make it a viable concept as long as everything in the fridge is mass produced.

I'd err on the side of fostering your student's creativity.

Of course, if you're dead set on shooting it down, it can still be a bad idea because fridges are used to store perishable goods, which have barcodes far less frequently.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have long since corrected their paper and it was a small element of it. They are a second year uni student. I acknowledged it was a good idea in theory but that they could have nailed down the brass tacks more. Thanks for all the info though!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I have long since corrected their paper and it was a small element of it. They are a second year uni student. I acknowledged it was a good idea in theory but that they could have nailed down the brass tacks more. Thanks for all the info though!

What did they get? I'm very invested now!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tuyop posted:

What did they get? I'm very invested now!

edit: No need to give the percent, they did fine though

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 26, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
My wife just got a strange raise.. She works hourly as a receptionist and just received a $1.28 raise. Not that we're complaining, but what's the sense in that? Such a strange number.. Can anyone make sense of it? With her current hourly rate, it doesn't even work out to a whole number at the end of the year, unless it was meant to be $1.25 and someone messed up in the timekeeping software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Could it be a percentage of her current salary? At my old job they'd give 3% or 5% or whatever raises to employees and that usually wound up to something random like that.