Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

tater_salad posted:

Apparently you've never been in the trucking thread and seen a nutcup post.

link to thread so I can put it in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564295&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Oh cool, the trucking thread in AI is back.

Also, looks like the next update to ETS2 will change the large truck dealers, so that will be fun for all the map mods!

Edit: wait, the truck thread in AI is how old? How did I miss that?

MyFaceBeHi fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 21, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Oh hey 1.16 beta is live on steam

:siren:WE NOW HAVE A 64 BIT EXECUTABLE:siren:

http://blog.scssoft.com/2015/01/beta-euro-truck-simulator-2-update-116.html

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Could I get an invite to the Steam group? I added you as a friend trying to send a message about it Kilonum, username is The Maddest Cat.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Tendai posted:

Could I get an invite to the Steam group? I added you as a friend trying to send a message about it Kilonum, username is The Maddest Cat.

I was wondering who the gently caress lacked basic reading comprehension.

Added

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It's me I'm the idiot :saddowns:

Thank you!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Heads up for anyone who uses TSM, the new patch conflicts with the mod and won't work, so either don't update yet or wait a few days for them to release an updated TSM.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Do you wanna know what the Scandinavia DLC AND American Truck Simulator will look like, in video form? Well one lucky youtube LPer has given us some sneak peaks of what is to come!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wow, apparently Canada has the highest percentage of ETS drivers.

True North Spergy and Free!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm part of that statistic!

:canada:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I'm a statistic! :canada:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Do you wanna know what the Scandinavia DLC AND American Truck Simulator will look like, in video form? Well one lucky youtube LPer has given us some sneak peaks of what is to come!

Hey look, no more 'every right lane is an exit only lane!' That's pretty nice of them. Also I guess since they're doing it in sections instead of "here's a map, we'll add things later," there are side streets and houses and other exciting things. Looks pretty great!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

EvilJoven posted:

Wow, apparently Canada has the highest percentage of ETS drivers.

True North Spergy and Free!

Meanwhile the goon with the highest ETS2 playtime is american

ME :goleft:

Also, apparently 1.16, in addition to being the first truly stable 64 bit build (it was added experimentally in 1.15 iirc) adds an option to have the cruise control automatically use the retarder if the truck is equipped with one to maintain the speed set in the CC (for those of us that go full :spergin: and follow the speed limits)

or it was added in 1.15 and I didn't notice because a basically took a break for the entire life of 1.15

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Kilonum posted:

Also, apparently 1.16, in addition to being the first truly stable 64 bit build (it was added experimentally in 1.15 iirc) adds an option to have the cruise control automatically use the retarder if the truck is equipped with one to maintain the speed set in the CC (for those of us that go full :spergin: and follow the speed limits)

or it was added in 1.15 and I didn't notice because a basically took a break for the entire life of 1.15

how many hours are you up to now?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kilonum posted:

I'm pretty sure that was in for 1.15.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Al Harrington posted:

how many hours are you up to now?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Kilonum, have you ever thought about taking up trucking for a living?

A 40 hour work week amounts to around 2,080 hours in a year. You have played this game for over half that. You've done over half a year's worth of virtual trucking.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'm going to start turning off fatigue and letting the game run while I'm at work to catch up to Kilo and to make silly amounts of cash

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It'll be like ETS2 and Progress Quest, all rolled in to one!

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Captain Novolin posted:

I'm going to start turning off fatigue and letting the game run while I'm at work to catch up to Kilo and to make silly amounts of cash

Just fast travel between your garages.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Kilonum, have you ever thought about taking up trucking for a living?

A 40 hour work week amounts to around 2,080 hours in a year. You have played this game for over half that. You've done over half a year's worth of virtual trucking.

I have. The hard part is finding a school that can take me from having no diver's license at all to even a class C CDL.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Zenostein posted:

Hey look, no more 'every right lane is an exit only lane!' That's pretty nice of them. Also I guess since they're doing it in sections instead of "here's a map, we'll add things later," there are side streets and houses and other exciting things. Looks pretty great!

I do like what they have so far. I'm a little disappointed that we'll be stuck with only a few states at first but it's understandable, the US is huge. I'm just hoping they don't skip ALL the boring states. I was looking forward to driving around the Midwest since I'm from there originally.

Having actually driven across a big chunk of the country, I really hope they "save" the Great Plains for last. :stare:

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Akion posted:

Just fast travel between your garages.

That doesn't inflate my play time and my power bill!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't been able to watch the video yet, did they mention any plans for Canada?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't been able to watch the video yet, did they mention any plans for Canada?

Given that it's American Truck Sim, I hope they do include Canada and Mexico. Maybe even make it so someone can make a coyote mod.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
Well I remember back when these guys were making the 18 wheels of steel games you could go down into part of Mexico in at least one of them so it's not out of the question

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The video says they'd really like to do Canada and Mexico as well. They just don't have enough people to do what they want to do right now. I'm hoping they'll hire some more map builders.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
They also said that they aim to be constantly working on this so when they initially release California, for example, then they will already be working on Nevada (as they showed with Las Vegas) so we aren't waiting a year for the next state.

All I've got to say is they better hurry up with this poo poo because it's looking gorgeous compared to the shitfest that was rig 'n roll! :catstare:

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I tried the demo out of curiousity. I live in Swansea, so I started from there, and managed to get as far as Cardiff before I rolled the truck over, killing who knows how many pedestrians. Good game!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MyFaceBeHi posted:

it's looking gorgeous compared to the shitfest that was rig 'n roll! :catstare:
You didn't like the tires glowing with bloom? The zombie-looking cops? The AI competitors that stop dead in their tracks while you stand for an hour in the middle of a highway waiting for the emergency service to come and fill your empty tanks? The plot triggers forcing you out of the current job if you happen to pass them on the road? The release version where loading a quick save immediately after you died, wrote that into the save file and killed you every time you loaded it? Come on, it took them 8 years to add all those features.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Uuuugh, I've been wanting to get back into Eurotrucking ever since my old hard drive died, but I can't muster the :effort: to check up on my mods and stuff.

I wasn't very far though, so I could just delete my save and start over from scratch, with a mapmod from the get-go, and get a truck faster than last time... An opinions?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
It doesn't matter which mods you were using. When you load a profile with different mods enabled than indicated in the save file, it simply clears the current mission and puts you back in your home garage.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

SelenicMartian posted:

You didn't like the tires glowing with bloom? The zombie-looking cops? The AI competitors that stop dead in their tracks while you stand for an hour in the middle of a highway waiting for the emergency service to come and fill your empty tanks? The plot triggers forcing you out of the current job if you happen to pass them on the road? The release version where loading a quick save immediately after you died, wrote that into the save file and killed you every time you loaded it? Come on, it took them 8 years to add all those features.

You also forgot the mission where you have to drop off a trailer right in the middle of a very specific part of I80 between Oakland and Sacramento, and the map gave you no clue as to where. Oh, and those zombie cops would arrest you even if the AI drove into you! That was an interesting game (that I put 40 hours into).

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I think I have more hours than that now, mainly because i've been off sick since the start of January.

Honestly I didnt realy care about ATS, but after seeing how rad the map looks i'm pretty interested. As long as someone ports one of the scanias across to it so I dont have to use a gigantic stupid american truck.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so I configured my controller to play the demo again, and had a grand old time making my way to Liverpool at a good clip and with no accidents or speeding tickets, when suddenly my controller's battery died and my truck drifted onto a railway line, coming to a stop just as a train was approaching. Delivery was not made.

But yeah I'm gonna buy this

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

HondaCivet posted:

I do like what they have so far. I'm a little disappointed that we'll be stuck with only a few states at first but it's understandable, the US is huge. I'm just hoping they don't skip ALL the boring states. I was looking forward to driving around the Midwest since I'm from there originally.

Having actually driven across a big chunk of the country, I really hope they "save" the Great Plains for last. :stare:

That sounds all fun and games until you realize that would mean that for a period of time you'd potentially be running from Portland to Portland via Tex. And that would be pretty awful.

Well, probably not too awful; apparently it's the same engine, so presumably there's the same distance/time compression effects.

Actually, it'd be really neat if the effect scaled, just so you're not spending hours running coast to coast, but also so that a trip within a state doesn't take like two minutes. But that's probably asking a bit much.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
In one of the Squirrel videos at SCS, they talked about potentially warping between different areas. That way they could release the northeast US DLC next after the initial Southwest content and potentially let players warp between. That would also be useful if they have 12 DLCs all across the US or Europe; it would allow players to buy something on the east and something on the west without requiring the content in the middle.

They also talked a lot about "warp" mechanics when it comes to ferries. They started to add realistic ferries everywhere in Scandinavia but then realized that players could bypass most of the driving by skipping time on a ferry. They're working on strict ferry time tables to solve that, but that then complicates the available freight logic quite a bit.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Wait a second, is there any sort of dynamic scaling effect going on at all in ETS 2? I thought the game was was just a static, miniaturized map of Europe.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
The map design itself is scaled so that the city areas are closer to real scale and the areas between cities are all vastly smaller. There's also time acceleration that happens as you leave cities.

• Locked thread