Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Remember, Dean Ambrose had a dominant 351 day run with the US championship, and is better in every aspect of the job than Reigns. Other than, of course, being tall. But he's not good enough to pull the trigger on getting a solid PPV win, much less a world title shot.

Calling Ambrose's US Title reign anything but a joke makes you more delusional than Vince.

I think he may have defended it twice, and that's including the match he lost it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dexo posted:

Dean is actually an inch taller than Reigns. Ambrose's posture usually just has him hunched over.

True, I always forget that because he hunches and they don't shoot him to look tall and imposing. I take it back, Ambrose is better at literally everything.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Great White Hope posted:

Calling Ambrose's US Title reign anything but a joke makes you more delusional than Vince.

I think he may have defended it twice, and that's including the match he lost it!

Also this.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

sonicice posted:

They're not going to salvage last night and you're just going to be left with the taste of poo poo in your mouth as usual.

I know, but they're gonna try something. Even if that something is doubling down on the "gently caress you". It's probably going to bomb. That's where the schadenfreude kicks in.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

triplexpac posted:

Really though did you honestly think that they would make Wyatt or Rusev the focal point of the Wrestlemania build?

Maybe.

- Rusev would make sense if Cena walked out of RR with the title
- Wyatt would make sense if somehow Undertaker came back and won the title at Fast Lane or something

Brock/Bryan is the match most of us want to see. I'm not sure what the appeal of Reigns/Brock is. Reigns' in-ring stuff just isn't there yet.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dean Ambrose almost managed to get that awful blow-up doll segment over, he is truly a God among men

Red posted:

Brock/Bryan is the match most of us want to see. I'm not sure what the appeal of Reigns/Brock is. Reigns' in-ring stuff just isn't there yet.
You don't want to see David v Goliath, you want to see not-quite-Goliath v Goliath

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

What, like Sheamus never defending it was better? At least he was on TV and the belt was being seen.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
At least you guys aren't as mad as this guy http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2tp1v3/here_is_a_letter_i_wrote_to_the_wwe_as_i/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Red posted:

They think he is the Okada to Cena's Tanahashi.

He's at best Tetsuya Naito.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I actually had to shut off that backstage interview with Rock/Reigns. They were both really visibly flustered.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Liquid Communism posted:

What, like Sheamus never defending it was better? At least he was on TV and the belt was being seen.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and two people never defending makes one dominant by simply being seen.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Oh no, they finally broke Foochs.

(jk I think you're okay, dude)

You have to give WWE one thing tho, they always outdo themselves. Last year one of the most popular babyfaces of all time got nuclear heat for not being Bryan. This year, literally the most successful wrestler of all-time got nuclear heat because he was by Reigns' side. Can't wait for RR 2016 where they get a Texas crowd to boo Jesus Christ himself.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Dean Ambrose and Ziggler are why anyone who says that the crowd wouldn't accept anyone other than Bryan winning is stupid as hell.

Ambrose was over as gently caress in his feud with Rollins after the Shield Break up. He was literally carrying Raws on his back, dumb segments and all, his gear was actually selling. He then never gets any payoff to the Rollins feud, and ends up in a nothing feud with Bray Wyatt that is used as nothing but an advertisement for the next PPV, and has it's blowoff match on a loving RAW.

Ziggler, is like perpetually over as the Babyface being held down by the Man. He had a jesus pop while he was fighting off the Authority by himself at Survivor Series.

The Problem with Reigns is that he was over, but the second they started to want to push him it's like they don't know how and why he got over and instead tried to turn him into the Rock/Cena character which he completely is not.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

God what a nerd.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like having the belt on Brock also hamstrings a lot of things they could have done. I still don't understand why Brock needs it. He should just be the guy who pops up every few months and crushes someone.

If they were really hellbent on having him take it from Cena as Summerslam, they could have just had him quit and vacate the title again. Basically make his character want nothing to do with belts, just kicking people's asses.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
According to Dave, Rock was pissed that WWE put him in that position.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They're going to turn Rusev and have him win the 2016 Rumble because if the fans really got behind him last night even as a heel, think how much they'll love him as a face!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

St Evan Echoes posted:

They're going to turn Rusev and have him win the 2016 Rumble because if the fans really got behind him last night even as a heel, think how much they'll love him as a face!

this is a top flight avatar/post combo

Red
Apr 15, 2003

St Evan Echoes posted:

You don't want to see David v Goliath, you want to see not-quite-Goliath v Goliath

The triple threat title match was amazing, fun stuff, and made me think, "Wow. This is why I put up with all the stupid poo poo. Awesome stuff like this is why I love wrestling.".

All those positive thoughts were gone half an hour later.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Niwrad posted:

I feel like having the belt on Brock also hamstrings a lot of things they could have done. I still don't understand why Brock needs it. He should just be the guy who pops up every few months and crushes someone.

If they were really hellbent on having him take it from Cena as Summerslam, they could have just had him quit and vacate the title again. Basically make his character want nothing to do with belts, just kicking people's asses.

B rock should have the title because it being on him elevates the title to actually mean something. It isn't just a prop it's being worn by the best wrestler in the world and if you want to be the best you have to go through Brock. Having Brock as a sideshow would leave "yeah Cena is champion but he's ducking Brock" etc. you want your champion to be a champion and be willing to take on all comers.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

His Tweet from this morning cemented that.

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/559640942974488576?s=09

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

The worst part of this is I just cannot see WWE reversing course 2 years in a row. Also, I think enough people like Reigns that he's not gonna get poo poo on as bad as Batista did.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
I have to wonder if Rock didnt try to break the news that this trash is not working to Vince or Trips. Not that it would make any difference at this point, I think a burning bush could tell Vince to hang it up and hed piss on it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

quote:

For those wondering, Vince McMahon reportedly has no plans on adding Daniel Bryan to the WrestleMania main event title match citing that it will be a repeat of last year's show and that he does not want that to happen.

quote:

While the WWE were prepared for some sort of backlash for Reigns winning the Rumble, they did not expect it to be as much as it was.

quote:

Reportedly, the WWE panicked and changed a lot of things right before the show and that the Rock was said to be very unhappy about those changes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Daniel Bryan posted:

He should be. They need him a hell of a lot more than he needs them, and that sort of poo poo is really damaging to a guy who won't be around to earn back the good will he lost last night.

Listening to his podcast Jericho feels pretty burnt over the whole Fandango thing now too. Seems like they're doing a hell of a job alienating former stars.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rocky needs to add a little PM cardio to his AM cardio routine. And maybe at all the times between the two. He looked exhausted after his little cameo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Orgophlax posted:

The worst part of this is I just cannot see WWE reversing course 2 years in a row. Also, I think enough people like Reigns that he's not gonna get poo poo on as bad as Batista did.

Here's the thing. Perception is a terrible thing. You have a couple of live crowds booing him, and then you have more people booing even though they don't know why, then even more and even more.

Like at first Batista was only getting booed by Smarks then as he participated in Matches and was unable to go long before gassing, as well as talking like a face on the mic more and more people started booing him. And that ends with loving Del Rio somehow being a more appealing option than your returning star face.

If they keep scripting Reigns poorly then it's very much possible, although Reigns can go better in the ring than Batista(at the start of Batista's run last year anyway).

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Dias posted:

Can't wait for RR 2016 where they get a Texas crowd to boo Jesus Christ himself.

They are somehow bungle it so bad that they're going to get a Texas crowd to boo Steve Austin.

Book it.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Mahoning posted:

Ugh, I wish I could re-cancel my subscription. I wondered why he never made it, dude had a ton of goofball charisma. We did a bunch of theater and improv in college.

I bought his book a while back and it was pretty entertaining.

Seams posted:

Maybe they're still (still!) in denial about Bryan being over. Who knows.

"He's just catchphrase over."

Also, I joined the club:

I have no doubt that WWE's response to people canceling the network will be to pull NXT and the specials from Hulu as soon as humanly possible.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Viper_3000 posted:

They are somehow bungle it so bad that they're going to get a Texas crowd to boo Steve Austin.

Book it.

You know, Nah, I don't think even the WWE could do that.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I hope Maffew is furiously working on the new Botchamania. It should be good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Aurain posted:

Rocky needs to add a little PM cardio to his AM cardio routine. And maybe at all the times between the two. He looked exhausted after his little cameo.

Well, he's got four more movies announced, one being Shazam! where he needs to bulk up to comic book levels again to play Black Adam. He's probably not doing a ton of cardio just now. :p

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Connecticut just issued a state-wide travel ban starting at 9 p.m. tonight and Raw might get cancelled.

A banner week for WWE.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

triplexpac posted:

This Rumble seemed to really emphasize how weak the roster is right now. WWE makes so many of their guys afterthoughts, it's amazing.

Like imagine NJPW doing a battle royal (a real one, not the jobber one from WK). Or ROH, or any other company. You'd have 30 guys who cover the entire spectrum of "possibly could win this match"

In WWE it's "well it's either Roman or DB. That's it. Rest are all anywhere from 10% chance to 0%"

Not really, i mean there were a ton of jobbers in this rumble dont get me wrong but yea. I gues you can say like, theres a lot of dudes in NJPW t hat can be "title contenders" goto, makabe, etc.. but nowadays you can't expect those guys to win poo poo!!! and ROH had a battle royal and the winner was Ruckus. and then there was a Nigel McGuinness vs. Ruckus title match and it was stupid.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

WWE Discussion is remember when Ruckus won that battle royal......

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Connecticut just issued a state-wide travel ban starting at 9 p.m. tonight and Raw might get cancelled.

A banner week for WWE.
Roman's prayers are answered

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
If Vince doesn't want to put Bryan in a 3 way at mania again then kayfabe injure Roman, get Bryan in there somehow then Roman returns and gets his shot at summerslam or whatever.

Just give me Bryan/Brock. :colbert:

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

sportsgenius86 posted:

A banner week for WWE.

has raw ever been outright canceled before?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

sportsgenius86 posted:

A banner week for WWE.

Well... it's been a long time since they had an empty arena match and the last one was a classic.

Someone get Dean Ambrose vs Seth Rollins on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

A banner week for WWE.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Roman's prayers are answered

Seriously. Probably the best thing for WWE right now is for RAW to get cancelled so that things can blow over (no pun intended).

• Locked thread