Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

There are 9 people not voting. Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

U mad :mrgw:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Rascyc posted:

Read pages 22-23, don't have time to post big post nor read more yet.

I think Ernie looks worse coming out of the yuming thing. He comes off a megapost with a wide net over people and then seemingly launches into a "it's you or me" with yuming which seems misplaced. At that point it's not helping the game, it's just blasting a single person repeatedly.

There's a lot of content being dwarfed by Ernie at this point IMO.

Ras, just so this doesn't get buried in the latest discussion bonanza, I'd agree with your read in terms of how Ernie looks after he decided to single in on yuming and why, but not the content side. Ernie's jus one of several larger discussion that have happened. Someone said all scum are lurking, and while I think that there are probably one or two active scum, I'd agree that everything happening right now is letting some scum lay low.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

True and Real posted:

There are 9 people not voting. Lmao.

The other problem with a bigger game; just getting enough bloody people to vote.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

f u bish

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Byers2142 posted:

The other problem with a bigger game; just getting enough bloody people to vote.

bring the deadline 24 hours forward, i guess

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
There's not enough people talking either. That isn't an issue with a big game as much as it is just SA Mafia nowadays.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Looking at the lurkers really quickly, these Meinberg posts are pretty scummy:

Meinberg posted:

My first reaction to Ernie's claim is that it's complete and utter bullshit. But on the other hand, if Ernie actually has that role, it's good that he claimed it this early. I would expand, but my thoughts are still in process, and I don't want to risk the possibility of exposing other town power roles to scrutiny due to me being accidentally correct in my random flailing.

I have my doubts about whether Keane is joking or not. On the one hand, my finely honed instinct says that Keane is being ironic. On the other hand, my ~gut~ tells me other things, that Keane is hiding behind his typical irony in order to, in fact, soft claim that he has a power role. Or perhaps, and this is the most likely, that he's actually a vanilla town, and that is his powerful role. There is too much irony to properly parse.

Chic is attempting to generate content without generating content. You might say that I'm engaging in the same sort of behavior, but my ambivalence is due to the inherent ambiguity of the situation.

Meinberg posted:

I see what you're saying with your Byers case, Wins, but I feel like it's a bit of a stretch.

These posts say so much nothing that they almost say something.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

So after a reread, here's what I see with merk. His cases? They aren't his cases.

merk posted:

This feels like a good vote. Around the whole Ernie claim thing, Byers happily dove into it and didn't really say much about anything else. This post is especially indicative of content that doesn't matter in the slightest:

merk posted:

Someone somewhere said yuming's vote on Ernie is scummy. It is. yuming's only content is only the Ernie claim.

##unvote; ##vote Byers - I think this is the best vote for the day though.

merk posted:

##unvote; ##vote Rarity

I like that potential scum slip.

However, the real thrust of this case is that every Rarity post is safe. There isn't a single post that advances scum hunting in a positive way.

With the exception of his case on Diqnol, every case he has pushed forward today has been adding to or just agreeing with someone else's case. In many cases, he's now pointing at posts as scummy that he didn't not consider scummy when he first read them; as evidence, look at all of the sequences where he's quoting posts after the eventually identified "scummy" post. He did it with me, Rarity, and yuming. He was beyond them, but only calls them scummy afterwards because he's no looking for scum, he's just looking for cases to make.

Also, he is asking a lot of question which, when answered, he then ignores the answers to. Particularly when that answer doesn't fit into the narrative he's constructing. For instance, just about me, he's asked questions such as...

merk posted:

Did you think Ernie was town when you made this post?

merk posted:

I don't think Byers ever intended to get Ernie lynched. Where did you get that read?

... and then ignored the answers given.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
How is adding onto content from other people scummy?

I ask a lot of questions and don't remember all of the questions that I ask. If I saw a response that I wanted to get something from, I would probably say something about it. How is that scummy?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

There's not enough people talking either. That isn't an issue with a big game as much as it is just SA Mafia nowadays.

I'd agree; lurking's starting to become the go-to scum habit, or what people do when they don't get a role they really like.

Ernie. posted:

bring the deadline 24 hours forward, i guess

Too late at this point, I'd argue; you'd make it in seven hours. No way you can fairly get 11 votes together, giving scum even more power to shift the votes to a mislynch without being obvious.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Does a case have to be original for it to be coming from a Town player?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
In some instances, like my vote on Rarity, I built the case off of responding to something that didn't even move the needle for me alignment-wise from another player. Is that scummy? How is that scummy?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
You read through me and came up with stuff to support a theory that I'm scum that actually doesn't support any theory about my alignment in any way.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

How is adding onto content from other people scummy?

I ask a lot of questions and don't remember all of the questions that I ask. If I saw a response that I wanted to get something from, I would probably say something about it. How is that scummy?

It's the same problem with how you're building your cases; you pick and choose posts, you're picking posts that you know already have support as being seen as scummy, and you're picking response that support your prebuilt ideas without allowing the other responses to make you have to change your mind on something. You've known since Saturday who you want to vote, and there's nothing anyone can do to change it because you will ignore anything that goes against that vote order. Town should want to find scum, you came in predeclared. It smacks of foreknowledge.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm still catching up.

Byers2142 posted:

At the time you posted this, we were two days (roughly) into the game, and I'd been pursuing you and EP for half of that . Yeah, "a while now" seems warranted, and you continue to evade actually talking about yourself by trying to attack me. Diqnol asked bowmore and Punt a question on their claim, and you came after him for it. You called it trying too hard, when it was a single sentence. and when I tried to get something out of you about it, you explicit refused to answer the questions and said it was answered by a comment I made about Ernie's claim, which was unconnected to the matter at hand.

You're scum. You're trying to keep pressure up on me to avoid having to answer questions about your own play. I've tried to address every question that people have asked of me. Of the posts in which I've asked you questions, you've ignored two of them and responded to the third by refusing to answer any questions.

##vote TNL

At the time I made that post, it was Saturday the 24th and the first time you had mentioned me was that morning. Feel free to try and prove me otherwise.

I don't need to avoid questions about my play because there aren't any. You're the only one who asked me anything and I was swift to answer what you've posted. What have I been avoiding?

Please don't accidentally pull a muscle trying for this reaching case of yours.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Byers, you sound like a truther.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

In some instances, like my vote on Rarity, I built the case off of responding to something that didn't even move the needle for me alignment-wise from another player. Is that scummy? How is that scummy?

Help me parse that first sentence, but I think you're saying that the post didn't move you to consider alignment either way until someone else made a case on it. If on a reread you find it scummy, why wasn't it scummy on the first read? Look, I'm not saying that every cases needs to be fresh, that's insane, and I get seeing a post in a new light, but you have a pattern here of recasting posts as scummy to agree with the cases people are making. You're a serial recaster. It suggests that your first read through, you weren't consider whether a post made the person scum or not, because you know who the scum are. Instead, you're looking for cases you can make, and you're borrowing ones you think you can get behind after they're made.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Byers2142 posted:

Help me parse that first sentence, but I think you're saying that the post didn't move you to consider alignment either way until someone else made a case on it. If on a reread you find it scummy, why wasn't it scummy on the first read? Look, I'm not saying that every cases needs to be fresh, that's insane, and I get seeing a post in a new light, but you have a pattern here of recasting posts as scummy to agree with the cases people are making. You're a serial recaster. It suggests that your first read through, you weren't consider whether a post made the person scum or not, because you know who the scum are. Instead, you're looking for cases you can make, and you're borrowing ones you think you can get behind after they're made.

Someone pointed out the scum slip. I read Rarity in response to reading that post. I came up with my own conclusion about Rarity's alignment that had little to do, if any at all, with the scum slip. I said that conclusion in the thread. I put a vote into the thread.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

It's because nobody can believe that the posts you're quoting produce enough heat to melt steel beams.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

Which one's are truthers again? Birther's are the "Obama's a Kenyan Muslim terrorist, and the lack of a birth certificate proves it," but I can't remember which crazies are the truthers.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Byers posted:

If on a reread you find it scummy, why wasn't it scummy on the first read?

This can't be a serious question.

Can we get rid of this guy please?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

Someone pointed out the scum slip. I read Rarity in response to reading that post. I came up with my own conclusion about Rarity's alignment that had little to do, if any at all, with the scum slip. I said that conclusion in the thread. I put a vote into the thread.

Is she your number 3 at this point, or am I?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

I have some time to play today so I'll try to make a good post about why I think Rarity is scum.

You still planning to do this?

Byers2142 posted:

Which one's are truthers again? Birther's are the "Obama's a Kenyan Muslim terrorist, and the lack of a birth certificate proves it," but I can't remember which crazies are the truthers.

9/11 was an inside-jobbers.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

But you've done this same thing multiple times; why does it take other people to make you realize you think a post is scummy?

True and Real posted:

It's because nobody can believe that the posts you're quoting produce enough heat to melt steel beams.

Oh, gently caress, it's the 9/11 is an inside job crew, isn't it? Not cool, merk.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

Is she your number 3 at this point, or am I?

She might even be #2. I'm not really sure.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Byers2142 posted:

But you've done this same thing multiple times; why does it take other people to make you realize you think a post is scummy?

Get out of the game.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk posted:

She might even be #2. I'm not really sure.

Burn!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
SO YOURE TELLING ME

THAT YOU READ A POST THAT YOU HAD READ BEFORE

AND CAME TO A ***NEW*** CONCLUSION AFTER READING IT?

MERK IS SCUM

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

This can't be a serious question.

Can we get rid of this guy please?

No, that's a 100% serious question. Why do you need to have posts pointed out to you before you think they are scummy? I'm saying it's because you're not reading to find scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Byers on cross examination:

Byers: So you read that first on Thursday, is that right?

merk: That's right.

Byers: Then you read that post again on Saturday, is that right?

Byers: And you're telling me that you came up with something new on Saturday that you didn't say on Thursday, is that right?

Byers: The prosecution rests, your honor. Move for a directed verdict.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

merk posted:

Get out of the game.

No, you first.

See, Ecco, this is why I always need a gun. That was the perfect spot for a dayvig.

##unvote
##vote merk

merk posted:

Byers on cross examination:

Byers: So you read that first on Thursday, is that right?

Byers: Then you read that post again on Saturday, is that right?

Byers: And you're telling me that you came up with something new on Saturday that you didn't say on Thursday, is that right?

Byers: The prosecution rests, your honor. Move for a directed verdict.

This isn't about one post, it's about a continued pattern of behavior. You changed you mind about every post you're now using to pursue your scum cases, with the possible exception of Diqnol because I don't know what your read on him is any more. it's very simple; you didn't consider posts as scummy because you weren't looking for scum. You weren't looking for scum because you know who the scum are by opening the scumdoc.

You're trying to turn it into about one post because you're right, you can change your mind about posts. But how you approached the posts in total, that speaks to mentality you went into reading them, and it was a scum mentality.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Ok this is that merk spazzing I was referencing

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

##vote merk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
SA Mafia is boring nowadays. I am taking my ball and going home. My vote is on Byers.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

Ok this is that merk spazzing I was referencing

Yeah, but it's funny spazzing this time.

Somb, read Yuming, Merk, and Byers.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What a waste of time reading those pages.

I don't think Ernie is scum. I still think Byers is scum. Maybe I'll make a condensed case on Byers but for now I'll just say that considering I'm supposed to be one of Byers' top suspicions, I have never seen him actually state why he is suspicious of me, and he seems to forget about me when I am not directly addressing him.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

SA Mafia is boring nowadays. I am taking my ball and going home. My vote is on Byers.

I'm rusty.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

You and me both, man. You and me both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I agree with merk. Our unity in making these games fun stands divided.

Why don't we all reward ecco for returning to moderating by ecco gambitting our way through the player list alphabetically?

• Locked thread