Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win The Royal Rumble?
:krakken: Batista
:mrapig: Bray Wyatt
:lol: Cesaro
Daniel Bryan
:fut: Dean Ambrose
:gay: Randy Orton
:chillout: Roman Reigns
:ussr: Rusev
:fella: Sheamus
:wcw: Sting
:waycool: Us, the viewers!
View Results

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hace posted:

You mean the 34 year old dude with a hosed up neck might not be the new top guy?

They made Austin the top guy at 34 with a hosed up neck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Hace posted:

You mean the 34 year old dude with a hosed up neck might not be the new top guy?

Cena's 37 and has had a hosed up neck for years. It's practically the only way to be allowed to be the top guy.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

EugeneJ posted:

austin actually changed his style

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

EugeneJ posted:

Austin doesn't do top rope headbutts to get over.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Roman getting roundly booed made me so happy. The guy is utter shite, always has been and should have been released ages ago. He does literally two moves, has zero charisma and wears a flak jacket to cover his gut.

There must be a scramble on now to book something that people actually give a poo poo about for Mania.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hace posted:

Austin doesn't do top rope headbutts to get over.

Austin wasn't 5'8.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

spudsbuckley posted:

There must be a scramble on now to book something that people actually give a poo poo about for Mania.
Paige-Natalya is gonna tear the house down :woop:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

Roman getting roundly booed made me so happy. The guy is utter shite, always has been and should have been released ages ago. He does literally two moves, has zero charisma and wears a flak jacket to cover his gut.

Hey!

He does that 'run around the ring and dropkick the guy in the face' spot. That's a third move.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
drat Raw is canceled. This was going to be the first one in months I was gonna watch, just to see the boos shake the heavens

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
It's funny watching the crowd pop for Rollins' phoenix splash before it hit; that doesn't usually happen. I'm assuming they knew what it was as soon as he leaped off the top.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is it weird if i'm kinda bothered by the supposed top hated heel in the company doing super-hot highspots that get huge pops

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

is it weird if i'm kinda bothered by the supposed top hated heel in the company doing super-hot highspots that get huge pops

It didn't help that the entire rest of the match was Brock just doing suplexs (we get it, he can do suplexs. we're all really impressed) and John's five moves.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Alain Post posted:

He should do more chinlocks. Lull everyone to sleep, that's good heelin.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

spudsbuckley posted:

He's not that horrid. With proper coaching he could be the next Sheamus :fella:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Alain Post posted:

yes i too hate my wrestlers doing cool poo poo that gets them over

wait i dont and thats a loving weird way to think

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

spudsbuckley posted:

There's actually a problem that I have with Romans moveset. Why does he do three moves that require running at an opponent when one of them is his signature move and one is his finisher? He has the running forearm, superman punch and spear which all have the same set up. It's like if John Cena had a samoan drop and firemans carry gutbuster in his arsenal.

Hammerstein posted:

He's not that horrid. With proper coaching he could be the next Sheamus :fella:

Honestly at least Sheamus looks good when he gets to just throw down with other big dudes. Roman doesn't even have that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Yuriy posted:

for context, i am also perplexed when Rusev does poo poo like doing a comeback and persevering through pain to apply his finisher because that's total babyface poo poo

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

for context, i am also perplexed when Rusev does poo poo like doing a comeback and persevering through pain to apply his finisher because that's total babyface poo poo

Based on crowd chants at the end of the Rumble last night, Rusev is a face simply because he isn't lovely Roman Reigns.

Reigns is so awful he can make people boo the Rock.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I don't like Reigns at all, and the Rumble was terrible, but drat...as a person who's no fault of their own they are in this situation, I really do feel bad for Reigns. This should have been a night for him to feel elated and on top of the world. Now he's probably so dejected and jaded that he's contemplating his future as a wrestler.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

spudsbuckley posted:

It didn't help that the entire rest of the match was Brock just doing suplexs (we get it, he can do suplexs. we're all really impressed) and John's five moves.

If you got bored of Brock throwing men 40 feet in the air and looking like the loving Juggernaut, I feel sorry for you.

And the Phoenix Splash was fine, as long as he doesn't do it in every Raw or B-PPV match, it's cool as a super-finisher.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Hace posted:

Time to cry about internet smarks actually putting their money where their mouth is when they are tired of the product.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I don't think Bryan is being buried by Vince or whatever, I just thought what happened in the Rumble was really lovely. I have no problem with Reigns in the title picture instead of him. It's just taking your number one underdog guy and making him look like a jobber punk is just horrible. He should have gone out when Show and Kane were dogging all the fan faves.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Had Bryan gone out in some blaze of glory late in the match then it might have worked. Like doing a suicide dive on Bray, Kane and Big Show and taking them all with him.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Jetfire posted:

It's funny watching the crowd pop for Rollins' phoenix splash before it hit; that doesn't usually happen. I'm assuming they knew what it was as soon as he leaped off the top.

It helped that he finished the 450 and still had like 5 seconds before hitting the mat. The hangtime was unreal.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

Yuriy posted:

whether you agree with it or not i dont think a basic principle of the business that was held to for decades and still is in some markets is 'loving weird'

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Spermgod posted:

whether you agree with it or not i dont think a basic principle of the business that was held to for decades and still is in some markets is 'loving weird'

I dont get how cool moves and selling and being tough are innately good guy qualities in 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
nobody gets heat in 2015 either

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

in 2015 a ppv ended with the rock getting booed out of the building, if there's no heat it's not because of the talent

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The biggest heel is the company.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

in 2015 a ppv ended with the rock getting booed out of the building, if there's no heat it's not because of the talent

the fact that the only things that elicit a real emotional reaction are meta-angles like "daniel bryan is being booked badly" or "roman reigns is being shoved down our throats" is hardly a good argument against my point

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Spermgod posted:

nobody gets heat in 2015 either

seth rollins, not booed at all and not called a sellout.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NutritiousSnack posted:

he's a super heel outside of the ring, don't get me wrong. and the stomp is a great heel (heh) finisher, I just sometimes wonder if heels really should be trying to get huge positive pops from the crowd

like, maybe this is silly, but imagine if Bryan or Sami Zayn started doing eye rakes and poo poo

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

NutritiousSnack posted:

compare the reactions he gets to any other top heel from any point in history prior to the past 10 years

edit: of course i don't mean to say that that's because he does flips. but when it comes to the matches themselves, it is probably a big reason why crowds are silent for everything except the big spots these days

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 27, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Alain Post posted:

he's a super heel outside of the ring, don't get me wrong. and the stomp is a great heel (heh) finisher, I just sometimes wonder if heels really should be trying to get huge positive pops from the crowd

like, maybe this is silly, but imagine if Bryan or Sami Zayn started doing eye rakes and poo poo

At the height of Hulkamania face rakes and back rakes were like half of Hogan's offense

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Alain Post posted:

You mean like Hogan did, constantly, while being the biggest face in the company for most of a decade?

Edit : Fatherdog representin'

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

At the height of Hulkamania face rakes and back rakes were like half of Hogan's offense

Hulk Hogan was American exceptionalism in wrestling form. "I can use whatever dirty tricks I want because they're the bad guys!"

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Sami jumped Tye Dillinger before a match this past week and beat the poo poo out of him before the bell even rang. The crowd popped huge for it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think Hulk is just a special case of someone being insanely over because they looked so great at the right time, he could have done anything in a ring and still gotten huge cheers. it's not like Hulk is considered a master of in-ring psychology these days or something

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Jetfire posted:

There were a couple guys behind me who didn't know what it was after he landed, let alone before he took off. I presume much of the crowd knew going up top was A Thing and reacted based on that.

Keep in mind that came after the flight from the corner to the table, so they knew Rollins was capable of crazy shot from the top rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Alain Post posted:

i think Hulk is just a special case of someone being insanely over because they looked so great at the right time, he could have done anything in a ring and still gotten huge cheers. it's not like Hulk is considered a master of in-ring psychology these days or something

I think there's more to it than that -- he wasn't just beating heels, he was bullying them. It's even more of a power fantasy.

• Locked thread