Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

MisterBibs posted:

I'm playing it for the first time, and I don't think I can bring myself to call Duke Nukem Forever a horrible game. It's simple as gently caress and the "Duke Is Totally Awesome In Every Way!" poo poo is tiresome from minute one, but the weapons are designed so similarly to DN3D that the nostalgia is smoothing over the varied annoyances I've had so far.

Are you playing the Steam version? FWIW, it was patched to remove some of the biggest garbage irritations from the game.

Namely:

* If you can carry more than two weapons at once, you're playing the patched version.
* If you aren't having textures randomly change to their 64x64 LOD versions, you're playing the patched version.
* If your save games aren't randomly corrupting themselves, you're playing the patched version.
* If steam.exe isn't pegging one of your CPU's cores at 100%, you're playing the patched version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ullerrm posted:

Are you playing the Steam version? FWIW, it was patched to remove some of the biggest garbage irritations from the game.

Yeah I'm not having any of that, fortunately. I mean, I've had brief lovely textures when I alt-tab but they get replaced pretty quickly.

Tis a weird game when the actual playing of it illicits a :geno: reaction, but it's from something that's so innately your childhood that you can't help but feel :3: about it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I remember the two-weapon limit being especially bad because there was a trophy for keeping duke's golden handgun for the entire game, which meant you basically had one weapon and one peashooter.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I didn't get more than an hour into it but what I played of DNF was pretty drat mediocre as a shooter, and that was the patched version. I don't see how it's a respectable game on any level, since even the most standard fare in the genre play better, look better, etc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Excels posted:

Reminder that the Metroid Prime Trilogy will be on sale in eShop in a few days for like 11 dollars. 3 whole amazing games for the price of a big mac combo

Thank you for this reminder, I've been jonesing for some Metroid for a while

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can this post be used as the description of the Games forum? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529734&pagenumber=1249&perpage=40#post440750446

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

why wouldn't you put your phone and wallet in your front pockets

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

it's only a bad game in the sense that it would have been cool if it had come out like ten years ago. you can cut it in half and see the layers of FPS trends it's been shoving in since the 90s

Even ten years ago the jokes about WMDs in Iraq and the Olsen twins wouldn't cut the mustard in a GBS photoshop thread, let alone a major video game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

better yet, keep your phone and wallet in your coat pocket and hold both of them at all times. trust no one, not even yourself.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

better yet, keep your phone and wallet in your coat pocket and hold both of them at all times. trust no one, not even yourself.

+1

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Just play the games on your phone

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I didn't get more than an hour into it but what I played of DNF was pretty drat mediocre as a shooter, and that was the patched version. I don't see how it's a respectable game on any level, since even the most standard fare in the genre play better, look better, etc.

If you don't pay much attention to the bad attempts at humor or the context of the game being in development so long, it's no more mediocre than most console shooters. It's even got some parts that are kind of fun and a couple of unique levels which arguably makes it better than most console shooters.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i remember i bought a brickbreaker game on my phone to play at school and then they charged me $3 monthly or something, even though i never bought anything else. it was pretty bullshit

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

lmao what kind of loving moron takes their wallet out and sits it somewhere. nobody in their right mind has the capability to always remain focused on the wallet being there, even with distractions or emergency shits or whatever. i hate that guy real bad

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

and put your phone in your other back pocket? thats what bitches do that work at like mcdonalds

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

sorry i must dedicate 35% of my brain reserves to wallet watch for you see this is better on my back. i guess i could just not put a thousand business cards and other assorted poo poo in there but it is far easier for me to instead set it down at my workdesk and focus on it for 8 hours

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

I really love video games that don't fit in my front pocket.

Actually, more precisely, I want to play the hell out of Dreadnought. Did anyone see or hear a beta date / release date for it at PAX South?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hello, I am an adult. Excuse me while I stand around awkwardly in front of this train seat and block foot traffic while I reach into my back pockets. No, I'm sorry miss, this seat is taken for my wallet and phone. I'm not going to put them in my front pockets like some kind of teenager! What the-?! They're both gone?! Driver, ho there! Call the subway police, before some pickpocket gets my valuables to a Thieves Guild fence!!

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Hello, I am an adult. Excuse me while I stand around awkwardly in front of this train seat and block foot traffic while I reach into my back pockets. No, I'm sorry miss, this seat is taken for my wallet and phone. I'm not going to put them in my front pockets like some kind of teenager! What the-?! They're both gone?! Driver, ho there! Call the subway police, before some pickpocket gets my valuables to a Thieves Guild fence!!

lmao

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

seriously gently caress that guy i hate him

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

seriously gently caress that guy i hate him

I didn't mean for you to hate anyone. I just love that post, I figured it was a joke, but should be used as the Games description.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
how the gently caress does having your phone and wallet in your front pockets give you a bad back

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Problem Sleuth posted:

how the gently caress does having your phone and wallet in your front pockets give you a bad back

Putting them in your back pockets is the one that gives you the bad back. Front pockets makes you look like a teenager... somehow.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He'll be the one laughing when one of you pierces your scrotum with your keys, while he merely has to have his locks changed and call the landlord every time that he steps out.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

I could see the argument in someone who's trying to dress sharp but sticking a huge phone and a fat wallet in his front pockets, and it fucks up their silhouette.

The catch is, unless you're a model, or work in PR in New York, nobody gives a poo poo. I'll put poo poo in my back pockets if I'm wearing a suit and facing members of the press, which is basically once in a blue moon. 99% of the time tho I'm wearing plain pants and a short sleeved shirt and do not give two shits and prefer to be able to sit comfortably.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
As an adult I need to keep my pockets free for game consoles

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Adam Bowen posted:

If you don't pay much attention to the bad attempts at humor or the context of the game being in development so long, it's no more mediocre than most console shooters. It's even got some parts that are kind of fun and a couple of unique levels which arguably makes it better than most console shooters.

I play a lot of pretty lame console shooters and I honestly can't think of many that impressed me less than DNF, once again acknowledging the caveat that I'd be crazy to form a permanent impression off of the bit that I did play

Lucavi
May 12, 2002
I like to play games on my tv

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
much like my role model, jerry seinfeld, i wear a man purse

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

much like my role model, jerry seinfeld, i wear a man purse

it's a european handbag

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Excels posted:

it's a european handbag

carry-all

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i have literally never heard of "putting your phone and wallet in your front pockets makes you look like a teenager" until just now

like seriously, what the gently caress? is that a real thing? front pockets are for wallets, keys, phones, whatever. back pockets are stupid and make you look dumb if you put your phone in them

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have a slim kickstarter wallet that doesn't show any profile through the pockets of my tight pants. Thanks for reading.

edit: This is a terrible post, but I'm leaving it up to make an example of myself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I have a slim kickstarter wallet that doesn't show any profile through the pockets of my tight pants..

you must be as Prince said a sexy mother effer

that reminds me I was in the grocery store the other day and "nothing compares 2 u" came on. good stuff.

video games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

there sure are a lot of kickstarters about wallets.

there's an ironic joke in there somewhere.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I tried to play that The Next Big Thing: Hollywood Monsters game and the writing was so devoid of charm and humor that I gave up 6 minutes in. It has pretty favorable user reviews so maybe I'm just crazy? Or maybe the game loses a lot in translation.

It's weird, I usually love adventure games. Well, except the Telltale Jurassic Park game, but gently caress that disaster.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ullerrm posted:

Some other Wii stuff that's worth playing:
* Madworld
* No More Heroes 1/2

I have these, don't bother honestly. It's 100% style over substance, you can get the same effect watching the whole thing on Youtube. No More Heroes 1 has one of my favorite stories in a game but the actual game part sucks

Edit: Also the story in NMH2 is worse/more rushed, and they fixed some minor annoyances with the gameplay but it's not good enough to be worth it

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 27, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I have these, don't bother honestly. It's 100% style over substance, you can get the same effect watching the whole thing on Youtube. No More Heroes 1 has one of my favorite stories in a game but the actual game part sucks

That's a terrible lie. Both of those games are intensely satisfying to play.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: Also the story in NMH2 is worse/more rushed, and they fixed some minor annoyances with the gameplay but it's not good enough to be worth it

Sounds like someone has trouble with the simplest, best motion controls from the original wii. NMH owns, play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nasgate posted:

Sounds like someone has trouble with the simplest, best motion controls from the original wii. NMH owns, play it.

No trouble, it's just fun for about 1/4th of the games runtime

The fighting gameplay is shallow as gently caress, just mash A until it's time to press B for a finisher. Sometimes you dodge.

• Locked thread