Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just saw three different LNP ads in the space of 3 minutes while sitting here donating blood. Haven't seen a single add for someone else all hour.

QLD is going to vote them in for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Lol, Labor hacks on my FB feed criticizing the Greens for refusing to allocate preferences in marginal seats (can someone a bit more in the know fill me in on this?) AND for getting Adam Bandt to come up and show his curtains to prove that DST won't fade their curtains. Apparently it's patronising.

(it's not. I've listened to enough talkback radio to know that there are a lot of people who actually do believe that DST will fade their curtains).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

starkebn posted:

Just saw three different LNP ads in the space of 3 minutes while sitting here donating blood. Haven't seen a single add for someone else all hour.

QLD is going to vote them in for sure.

"Hey kids, want some strong choices?"

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

norp posted:

Wow, the Sir Prince thing even has Paul Murray editorialising that it's one-term-tony.

I can't believe how hard he media has turned on him

I guarantee it wouldn't have happened to anywhere near the same extent without that tweet from Murdoch.

On one hand, there's great schadenfreude to be had, and the fact that Tones is expending political capital on something that's completely meaningless is great. On the other hand, it's incredibly hosed precisely because it's meaningless. How is THIS the thing that has caused the public and the media to turn on him. How many incredibly damaging hosed up things has Tony done that could severely damage the future of Australia? Free pass for those. But dare to make an incredibly out of touch, but ultimately harmless gesture of worship to the royals? That's just going too far.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Shakugan posted:

I guarantee it wouldn't have happened to anywhere near the same extent without that tweet from Murdoch.

On one hand, there's great schadenfreude to be had, and the fact that Tones is expending political capital on something that's completely meaningless is great. On the other hand, it's incredibly hosed precisely because it's meaningless. How is THIS the thing that has caused the public and the media to turn on him. How many incredibly damaging hosed up things has Tony done that could severely damage the future of Australia? Free pass for those. But dare to make an incredibly out of touch, but ultimately harmless gesture of worship to the royals? That's just going too far.

Pretty much what I have been thinking. Breaking every election promise and causing real suffering to thousands of people is fine, but some relatively harmless but ill-thought out gesture results in media evisceration.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Shakugan posted:

It's more of a case of the straw that breaks the Camel's back, he has been on very thin ice since the great Medicare fuckup earlier this month.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

It's a pretty bleak reflection on the quality of the average Australian that it wasn't inhumane asylum seeker treatment, privatizing and deregulating education and health, slashing welfare, tearing down the NBN, giving the finger to the environment, introducing draconian police and ASIO anti-terrorism powers as well as the endless list of cuts to vital social, scientific and arts institutions that really broke the camels back. None of that poo poo made any of the rusted-on liberals sit up and really think, this is a bit crook, but rather something entirely inane and (in practicality) essentially a non-event on account of how 'un-Australian' it is.

efb

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

:cripes:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Lizard Combatant posted:

You bumpkin mush-heads are going to re-elect Newman, I can just feel it.

No. I fully expect a hung parliament to ALP minority. My brain just cannot accept otherwise. :smithfrog:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

cpaf posted:

It's a pretty bleak reflection on the quality of the average Australian that it wasn't inhumane asylum seeker treatment, privatizing and deregulating education and health, slashing welfare, tearing down the NBN, giving the finger to the environment, introducing draconian police and ASIO anti-terrorism powers as well as the endless list of cuts to vital social, scientific and arts institutions that really broke the camels back. None of that poo poo made any of the rusted-on liberals sit up and really think, this is a bit crook, but rather something entirely inane and (in practicality) essentially a non-event on account of how 'un-Australian' it is.
Those things aren't especially unique to Abbott though. Replace him with Bishop, Turnbull or Morrison and almost all of them would still happen. They're bad policies but they're not inherently unpopular (and imprisoning and torturing refugees certainly isn't).

This is a glimpse at what Abbott really wants, and what he'd do more of if he could.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anidav posted:

No. I fully expect a hung parliament to ALP minority. My brain just cannot accept otherwise. :smithfrog:

Labor win and Hung Parliament both paying $6. Where's the value for the lower probability? :argh:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Anidav posted:

Speaking of which, there is a massive ad screen outside Toowong Village (so people using Coronation Drive can see it). There are a few political ads that come up on it, but my favourite is the one that's a black background, with the words "HUNG PARLIAMENT. CHAOS." in white (authorised, I'm assuming, by LNP hack, Brisbane). Which is hilarious when you consider that Julia Gillard's government managed to pass a ton of quality legislation while dealing with a hung parliament. So basically what the LNP are saying is that they're incapable of negotiation.

tbh, I would love a hung parliament because it means there might be an ounce if bipartisanship/meaninful review of our legislation. Imagine that: a QLD government actually having to negotiate with indie/Green MPs to get legislation passed.

it's more likely to be PUP or KAP MPs but a girl can dream :allears:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Mithranderp posted:

Lol, Labor hacks on my FB feed criticizing the Greens for refusing to allocate preferences in marginal seats (can someone a bit more in the know fill me in on this?) AND for getting Adam Bandt to come up and show his curtains to prove that DST won't fade their curtains. Apparently it's patronising.

(it's not. I've listened to enough talkback radio to know that there are a lot of people who actually do believe that DST will fade their curtains).

DST? Like, daylight savings? :catstare:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's more of a case of the straw that breaks the Camel's back, he has been on very thin ice since the great Medicare fuckup earlier this month.

It's definitely the thing that's finally turned the media against him, but yeah, he's been gradually getting looked at worse and worse as things have gone on. I'd guess that it might be seen as this huge, horrid mess because it's something that the media can safely lambast him for while still flying the Liberal flag; if they criticized him for the Medicare stuff then they're probably going to get called out for it when it comes back and they start spruiking it again. But this poo poo's so ultimately harmless that they can capitalize on the public's widespread anti-Abbott sentiment without actually having to back it up later.

It's also, possibly, a way to try to get rid of him. This sort of gently caress-up is so quintessentially Abbott that we can only sling poo poo at him for it. It's not going to happen if/when they turf him for Morrison, Hockey, Turnbull, Bishop, Bishop, Pyne, Dutton, Truss, or whoever the gently caress gets to win that tussle over the seat. It only exists as a wedge against the dead weight that is Abbott.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I for one am shocked that the Human Rights Commission would be biased in favour of human rights.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Tommofork posted:

What else has the power to fade curtains?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

cpaf posted:

efb

In my opinion this is pretty much what happened to the ALP. Never mind the actual performance/quality of the government, the only important thing is that Gillard was a "back-stabber" therefore it was the worst government ever.

Certainly not defending them too much though, but they certainly did worse things than change leader a few times.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Tommofork posted:

Upon arriving in Queensland airspace yesterday I was advised to turn my watch back 30 years.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Palmersaurus posted:

I for one am shocked that the Human Rights Commission would be biased in favour of human rights.

Lets have an inquiry into something we don't like, with the intention of abolishing it due to bias.

Something in this case is the Australian loving Goddamn Human loving Rights commission. Jesus loving christ. How the gently caress, what the gently caress. I am inconsolably furious over this. Yet loving knighting someone is the poo poo that sticks.

I think you're right, it's the way to criticise Abbott without criticising the Libs, because they want to condemn their publicly toxic leader without condemning their lovely terrible policies.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

No really, there are people allowed to vote who believe adopting daylight savings will fade their curtains?

Also gently caress the libs and there penchant for going after anybody that rightly calls them out as human garbage.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Those things aren't especially unique to Abbott though. Replace him with Bishop, Turnbull or Morrison and almost all of them would still happen. They're bad policies but they're not inherently unpopular (and imprisoning and torturing refugees certainly isn't).

This is a glimpse at what Abbott really wants, and what he'd do more of if he could.

I think a certain level of burgeoning depravity in conservative policy over the last decade can be attributed directly to Tony Abbott's leadership, in the same way he has sought to imitate his political dad John Howard, and I think that particular comparison also supports the idea that Tony Abbott's crudeness and crash-or-crash-through style has been essentially tolerated by the electorate over the last five years compared to Howard's more subtle-yet-evil style which was openly embraced in the period after the GST up until Work Choices. If Turnbull had been leader of the opposition since 2009 I sincerely doubt the treatment of asylum seekers would have continued to spiral so badly into the gutter, and I don't think malicious bullies like Morrison or Dutton or Mirabella would have been promoted so heavily and I don't think the spineless career types like Bishop and Hockey and Pyne would have so voraciously pursued the disciplined combative style in opposition either. Turnbull or Hockey would have never come as close to forming government in 2010 either I guess

If the coalition were to act so drastically as to replace their leader I'm sure they would abandon, at least ostensibly, some of their most unpopular policies as a show of good faith. Things wouldn't sincerely improve of course, but they would probably dump things like the co-payment and the university deregulation completely, as well as (obviously) PPL.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Tommofork posted:

No really, there are people allowed to vote who believe adopting daylight savings will fade their curtains?

Also gently caress the libs and there penchant for going after anybody that rightly calls them out as human garbage.

http://www.nodaylightsavingqld.com/

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The number of people who actually believe daylight saving fades curtains is small enough to be irrelevant. I don't understand how it's become a left/right issue either, the whole debate is just pathetic.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I have a fund raising idea. How about every single vote your party gets if you win government causes you to pay $7 to healthcare for all Australians. Literally the only way to argue against this is that you say you hate Australians for voting for you or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shakugan posted:

People will rationalise all sorts of dumb positions on big important issues because they're not informed enough to have real opinions and will just assume that the people in power know what they're talking about, at least nominally, but stupid positions on trivial matters like knighthood are easy to have opinions about because they're shallow and completely unambiguous.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The opposition to daylight savings in WA and QLD is a complete mystery to me.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Hurman Rights 'bias': questioning a program of locking up people indefinitely, without charge or conviction, denying them access to the justice system, all in worse conditions than convicted criminals

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Mate it upsets the cows.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, I don't really get the opposition to daylight savings either. It kind of annoys me for two days a year, but that's basically it, I don't know if there's even a proper argument otherwise.

cpaf posted:

I think a certain level of burgeoning depravity in conservative policy over the last decade can be attributed directly to Tony Abbott's leadership, in the same way he has sought to imitate his political dad John Howard, and I think that particular comparison also supports the idea that Tony Abbott's crudeness and crash-or-crash-through style has been essentially tolerated by the electorate over the last five years compared to Howard's more subtle-yet-evil style which was openly embraced in the period after the GST up until Work Choices. If Turnbull had been leader of the opposition since 2009 I sincerely doubt the treatment of asylum seekers would have continued to spiral so badly into the gutter, and I don't think malicious bullies like Morrison or Dutton or Mirabella would have been promoted so heavily and I don't think the spineless career types like Bishop and Hockey and Pyne would have so voraciously pursued the disciplined combative style in opposition either. Turnbull or Hockey would have never come as close to forming government in 2010 either I guess

If the coalition were to act so drastically as to replace their leader I'm sure they would abandon, at least ostensibly, some of their most unpopular policies as a show of good faith. Things wouldn't sincerely improve of course, but they would probably dump things like the co-payment and the university deregulation completely, as well as (obviously) PPL.

And I can definitely agree with that. The LNP's approach over the Abbott years has been as bullheaded as he is, basically going full-pelt instead of taking it slow and steady. That actually worked really well for them in opposition, when they could just scream 'NO!' at the top of their lungs for years on end and have it actually work, but they don't have the subtlety to pull anything off when they've actually got power.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Daylight savings would lead to an increased risk of skin cancer

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
You see, there's more sunlight with daylight savings and we can't let ordinary mum and dad battlers get skin cancer so there

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People will rationalise all sorts of dumb positions on big important issues because they're not informed enough to have real opinions and will just assume that the people in power know what they're talking about, at least nominally, but stupid positions on trivial matters like knighthood are easy to have opinions about because they're shallow and completely unambiguous.
This is Parkinson's law of triviality, also known as the bicycle shed effect.

To paraphrase the example that gave it that name, if a committee is established to discuss funding for a new nuclear power plant, they'll spend more time discussing the location, material and location of a $500 shed for the employees' bikes than the $10 billion nuclear plant itself, because $10 billion is an unfathomable amount of money and discussing it requires major technical expertise, while everyone knows enough about bike sheds to participate in that discussion. Maybe they can even save $50 if they really put in the effort!

Also I agree with your suggestion that it's having an effect here. University funding, taxes and regulation, and health policy all require effort and research to come to an informed opinion. Knighting a duke on the other side of the planet is just plain dumb and anyone can see that.

T-1000 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 28, 2015

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Leo Showers posted:

Daylight savings would lead to an increased risk of skin cancer

I read this and lost it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cpaf posted:

If Turnbull had been leader of the opposition since 2009 I sincerely doubt the treatment of asylum seekers would have continued to spiral so badly into the gutter,

Turnbull fully supports all LNP policies and has done sweet FA to oppose any of them, in fact he has helped champion them. But a myth persists that he is 'the good Liberal'.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Vladimir Poutine posted:

It's complicated. A major part is due to the size of our state.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Whether SA should stick stubbornly to our half hour behind timezone or bite the bullet and switch to EST is something that businesses occasionally bring up here, but most people ignore them

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

V for Vegas posted:

Turnbull fully supports all LNP policies and has done sweet FA to oppose any of them, in fact he has helped champion them. But a myth persists that he is 'the good Liberal'.

This. He's complicit in all the nasty stuff, gutless but somehow condescendingly smug if at all challenged on what he's responsible for. I honestly don't see how people like him.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

V for Vegas posted:

Climate change is a pretty obvious exception, but otherwise it's a good point.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I don't really get the opposition to daylight savings either. It kind of annoys me for two days a year, but that's basically it, I don't know if there's even a proper argument otherwise.

Doesn't it make sense to oppose something that vaguely annoys you though? Especially if you weren't aware of the actual positives of it.

Jamus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

Ugh, even some of my otherwise very politically-savvy friends believe this. I just point out that while he was opposition leader he could have moved a conscience vote on gay marriage, or changed refugee policy or any other number of things. He gets a lot of credit for going down with the original carbon pollution reduction scheme (I'll even give him credit for that), he's the most articulate LNP minister and the halo effect* from that spills over into peoples' perceptions of all his other policies. Once in a while he'll drop an impressive speech (eg: Whitlam's funeral) to refresh this in people's minds.

When I handed out HTVs last election, the more talkative liberals doing the same were confident that Turnbull would turf Tony within 12 months, and this is only a couple of electorates away from Tony's and very similar in a lot of ways. Turnbull really appeals to the kind of upper-middle-class LNP supporter who cares about the environment as well as paying lower taxes.

*sorry to keep citing wikipedia for all my opinions, I think I have a problem

• Locked thread