Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NTRabbit posted:

ReachTel
PM's Ratings:
Approve: 22 (-10)
Disapprove: 62 (+10)

Preferred Liberal leader:
Abbott: 18
Turnbull: 44
Bishop: 30

Prince Philip Knighthood:
Support: 12
Oppose: 72

Diamond Joe not even featuring in preferred leader

Given the ongoing crucifixion of Hockey for "loving up" the budget (ie, getting it the way they wanted), his chances of ever ever ever sniffing the leadership role have permanently hosed off to the Antarctic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Oh, rumor dead. 54 to 46 to Kate Jones due to a surge of Greens primary in Ashgrove. Margin of error not reported yet.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Reachtel Federal is the same.
Also Knighthoods more unpopular than a tax increase
Malcolm Turnbull preferred Liberal leader 44.6%
Bishop 33%

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Watching the Liberals drown in a pool of their own cum, bile and leadership speculation is pretty amazing.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Splode posted:

So that you don't wake up at 5 in the morning because the sun is up earlier? Because it means you can do outside stuff after you come home from work.
A personal preference which shouldn't be applied to an entire state without majority approval.

Splode posted:

Because the rest of the country is doing it and your stupid time lag makes doing business with Queensland even more painful than it already is (being full of Queenslanders, you see).
So Queensland votes that they don't want DST but because NSW and Vic voted for it, they still must follow suit (because convenience). Tones is going to be happy when I tell him that the LNP are now running SA and Vic since the other states voted for an LNP Gov.

Sparticle fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 28, 2015

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Are the libs purposefully trying to make Abbott look as poo poo as possible to minimise backlash when they swap leaders?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Since we're all about the science in here, have a study about the health effects of DST:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/29/us-heart-daylightsaving-idUSBREA2S0D420140329

quote:

Daylight saving time linked to heart attacks: study

(Reuters) - Switching over to daylight saving time, and losing one hour of sleep, raised the risk of having a heart attack the following Monday by 25 percent, compared to other Mondays during the year, according to a new U.S. study released on Saturday.

By contrast, heart attack risk fell 21 percent later in the year, on the Tuesday after the clock was returned to standard time, and people got an extra hour's sleep.

The not-so-subtle impact of moving the clock forward and backward was seen in a comparison of hospital admissions from a database of non-federal Michigan hospitals. It examined admissions before the start of daylight saving time and the Monday immediately after, for four consecutive years.

In general, heart attacks historically occur most often on Monday mornings, maybe due to the stress of starting a new work week and inherent changes in our sleep-wake cycle, said Dr. Amneet Sandhu, a cardiology fellow at the University of Colorado in Denver who led the study.

"With daylight saving time, all of this is compounded by one less hour of sleep," said Sandhu, who presented his findings at the annual scientific sessions of the American College of Cardiology in Washington.

I'm sure seeing more Baby Boomers dropping off the perch is something we can get behind but if you're looking for quote unquote "objective evidence" here it is.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Les Affaires posted:

Since we're all about the science in here, have a study about the health effects of DST:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/29/us-heart-daylightsaving-idUSBREA2S0D420140329

I'm sure seeing more Baby Boomers dropping off the perch is something we can get behind but if you're looking for quote unquote "objective evidence" here it is.

You've convinced me. Daylight Savings for Queensland.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They were having another crisis at the time.

The one thing that dumping Abbott has that dumping Rudd didn't is that people would understand why. I think it'd still be a big risk and a likely disaster for them.

They're always in crisis. They're not so much a political party as a marketing association. A really poo poo one. No, people would have understood dumping Rudd had it been properly explained. The guy was melting down from his own hubris. But all the media could see was popularity polls beep boop does not compute danger will robinson! This time around, people would understand, but you're right, it won't save them. But to them, they have a holding pattern idea that sort of worked before with Downer and Howard. They've got nothing else to go on. They don't have a plan outside of wishing hard for a miracle.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Apparently 22-62 is the second worst approval rating ever recorded for a sitting PM

tithin posted:

Given the ongoing crucifixion of Hockey for "loving up" the budget (ie, getting it the way they wanted), his chances of ever ever ever sniffing the leadership role have permanently hosed off to the Antarctic.

I know, I just wanted to use Diamond Joe in a sentence :downs:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 28, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
DST is the #gamergate of time discussions. Your opinion is wrong and you should feed bad. Everyone you look at is wrong and they should feed bad too.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Les Affaires posted:

We can offset that by increasing the number of cardiologists' conferences: http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2038979

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Anidav posted:

Reachtel Federal is the same.
Also Knighthoods more unpopular than a tax increase

Woah, woah, woah, wait, what?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

hooman posted:

I know, I live here too Perth buddy.

I wouldn't call it daylight, by 7-8pm I would have called it twilight given our longest day of the year still has the sun setting at 7.20pm, but you're right, with daylight savings it's light until about 9pm.

Tonight's sunset is 7:21 (last light 7:45), longest day of the year is around the 18th of December.

As for content, I feel bad for people who don't get any sunlight during the work week in winter. Arguing over daylight saving in Australia is like a Saudi prince arguing over whether his car is better than his brother's.

norp fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 28, 2015

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Mr Chips posted:

We can offset that by increasing the number of cardiologists' conferences: http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2038979

That's hilarious, I wonder what's behind it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

cpaf posted:

It's a pretty bleak reflection on the quality of the average Australian that it wasn't inhumane asylum seeker treatment, privatizing and deregulating education and health, slashing welfare, tearing down the NBN, giving the finger to the environment, introducing draconian police and ASIO anti-terrorism powers as well as the endless list of cuts to vital social, scientific and arts institutions that really broke the camels back. None of that poo poo made any of the rusted-on liberals sit up and really think, this is a bit crook, but rather something entirely inane and (in practicality) essentially a non-event on account of how 'un-Australian' it is.

efb

Borrowing this for FB.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Has there been any recent polling in Davenport?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Woah, woah, woah, wait, what?

That's what the 7 Newscaster said. Knighthood of Phillip is more unpopular than raising taxes.

Also, look at this massive fuckoff Greens spike which is saving Kate Jones

Anidav fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 28, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Has there been any recent polling in Davenport?

If there has been, I can't find it. Liberals supposedly throwing all of their money at the seat though, their internal polling must be pretty dire.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

open24hours posted:

That's hilarious, I wonder what's behind it.

My reading of it is that it's the high-risk patients whose mortality decreases when the cardiologist's away, because fewer risky interventions are performed. Cardiologists seem to have come in for a bit of a battering over the last couple of decades from the stats/evidence based medicine crowd

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 28, 2015

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Can't wait for Mad As Hell to come back and react to all this.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

hooman posted:

Watching the Liberals drown in a pool of their own cum, bile and leadership speculation is pretty amazing.

It's a long bow but what does this mean for Kevin Rudd's leadership ambitions?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Lid posted:

It's a long bow but what does this mean for Kevin Rudd's leadership ambitions?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm from WA and voted against daylight savings, the reason being, that place is too loving hot as it is. Every sunset in summer is like a damp cloth being placed over a burn. Why anybody would want to prolong 40-degree sunlight is beyond me.

If Perth and Queensland were to have daylight savings at all it would be better suited to winter. It's not that cold, you can still do stuff after work.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

freebooter posted:

I'm from WA and voted against daylight savings, the reason being, that place is too loving hot as it is. Every sunset in summer is like a damp cloth being placed over a burn. Why anybody would want to prolong 40-degree sunlight is beyond me.

Is this real life?
Are you fuckers trolling or what?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
You can have all the opinions you want about daylight saving but good luck getting into heaven if it doesn't get dark at 9 in summer and 5 in winter where you live

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NTRabbit posted:

ReachTel
PM's Ratings:
Approve: 22 (-10)
Disapprove: 62 (+10)

Preferred Liberal leader:
Abbott: 18
Turnbull: 44
Bishop: 30
Counterpoint:

quote:

Poll Preferred LIB Leader (L/NP Voters)
Abbott 39.6
Bishop 27.9
Turnbull 27.1
Hockey 5.4

E: Abbott's unpopular but the opinions of people who would never vote for the Coalition regardless won't really affect who is the leader.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is this real life?

He's from W.A. and its still 1985 over there. Hawke will be dropping in next week to speak to Brian Burke.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Vladimir Poutine posted:

You can have all the opinions you want about daylight saving but good luck getting into heaven if it doesn't get dark at 9 in summer and 5 in winter where you live

What if you live in the Nordic countries and the sun rises at 11am and is going down by 12:30 in the winter.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Prime Minister Dutton. Say it with me now.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is this real life?

Is it really that hard to understand that people might not want to prolong the latter part of the day. WA heat typically peaks at around 3-4pm, so you'd be pushing that peak to commuting time. Its perfectly reasonable to prefer the extra daylight afforded by summer at the start of the day rather than dragging out the end of it.

Its the kind of thing that should be majority voted because there really is no objectively better option for this trivial problem, just loads of personal preferences based on circumstances.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Prime Minister Dutton. Say it with me now.

Generic Liberal does poll pretty well a lot of the time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: Abbott's unpopular but the opinions of people who would never vote for the Coalition regardless won't really affect who is the leader.

PPM polls are totally meaningless when it comes to voter intentions anyway, they're just fun to read

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

PPM polls are totally meaningless when it comes to voter intentions anyway, they're just fun to read

Yeah, and you can read it in several ways (Turnbull could draw in new voters vs Turnbull's popular amongst people who won't vote for him). I don't think the specific figures matter as much as the general trend.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is this real life?

Please clarify which part of Australia you're from before offering opinions about heat and the desirability of heat.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Air temperature is currently higher than body temperature in most of Perth and it's 8pm. Today wasn't really excessively hot.
Try moving that heat to 9pm and getting to sleep without air conditioning

Disclosure: I live in a house with aircon in every room so really don't care about it, but I have lived without and it sucks hard

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

These polls speak volumes to not us but Liberal Party staff. If it continues to speak well for Turnbull. They may very well do the deed. The only problem is that rather large Climate Change denial bloc within the party room which removed him in the first place.

Would Prime Minister Turnbull be the same as Opposition Leader Turnbull? That is, pro-ETS, pro-free marketNBN and anti-Ute?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

freebooter posted:

Please clarify which part of Australia you're from before offering opinions about heat and the desirability of heat.

Adelaide.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

norp posted:

Tonight's sunset is 7:21 (last light 7:45), longest day of the year is around the 18th of December.

As for content, I feel bad for people who don't get any sunlight during the work week in winter. Arguing over daylight saving in Australia is like a Saudi prince arguing over whether his car is better than his brother's.

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/australia/perth?month=1&year=2015

According to that the longest day of this year was like 8th of January and the sun set at 7.27pm. For some reason I thought it was in December too :eng99:

homebrew posted:

He's from W.A. and its still 1985 over there. Hawke will be dropping in next week to speak to Brian Burke.

I've got a good feeling about this Skase guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

hooman posted:

http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/australia/perth?month=1&year=2015

According to that the longest day of this year was like 8th of January and the sun set at 7.27pm. For some reason I thought it was in December too :eng99:

I've got a good feeling about this Skase guy!

The summer solstice is on the 22nd of December which is the shortest night of the year, so It would be understandable to assume that the longest day would be both days either side of it, but this only works if sunrise and sunset move in opposite directions at the same rate, which it probably does equidistant from the south pole and the equator.

I've also heard that this Alan Bond bloke is safe as houses.....

• Locked thread