Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

modernist mac, roasted broc and cauliflo

Yes please.

Baked apples stuffed with cranberries, pecans, cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, and oats. Pictured here while I was browning the tops and bottoms before tossing the whole thing in the oven for half an hour.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Casu Marzu posted:

modernist mac, roasted broc and cauliflower, italian sausage

homemade ricotta, olives, garlic pickled mushrooms, pane sciocco

lard braised carnitas, cotija, pickled onions, roasted tomatillo salsa verde

By lard braised carnitas do you mean "carnitas"?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Tacier posted:

Baked apples stuffed with cranberries, pecans, cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, and oats. Pictured here while I was browning the tops and bottoms before tossing the whole thing in the oven for half an hour.

Looks like you've found the best use for apples!

I decided that it was time to make my own stock for the first time, so I put a gigantic tupperware box in my fridge and collected all vegetable cut-offs for a while, and luckily got to add two duck bones in the mix as well. When the box was full, it was time to do some stock making, I added another onion, a tablespoon of black peppercorns, two bayleafs and a bit of dried thyme to the pot and let the stuff simmer for about three hours. Used that time to wonder about the enormous amount of veggies I would normally have thrown out.
Anyway, the pot:

It tasted great, even though I found out that I use A LOT of spanish peppers...the stock almost burned a hole in my tongue. I think that there will be a lot of Thai soup in my future.
The tupperware box is in my fridge again, to collect new stuff for the next batch.

Then there were two days this weekend on which we had snails as an appetizer. We found out that my new grocery store sells little cans of snails, so that will be had often from now on.

And some chicken, baked sprouts in a red wine sauce/glaze and homemade fries....new stock bones, yay.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Woof! Woof! posted:

By lard braised carnitas do you mean "carnitas"?

I had to differentiate because a lot of people are braising pork in stock or something else and calling then carnitas, and that's bullshit.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Finally got to cook a meal this weekend.

Pan seared chipotle red snapper with a lemon butter sauce on top of pureed spiced sweet potato and crispy roasted brussel sprouts.

I really liked it :shobon:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brown butter seared beef tenderloin medallions over goat cheese polenta, with sweet tomato chutney.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 26, 2015

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Doh004 posted:

drat that looks delicious LOOK AT HOW CRISPY THE FISH IS.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Smoked a few racks of back ribs, and a few mergeuz sausages tonight.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 26, 2015

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Doh004 posted:

Pan seared chipotle red snapper with a lemon butter sauce on top of pureed spiced sweet potato and crispy roasted brussel sprouts.

I really liked it :shobon:

Hell yeah, that looks delicious. Nice presentation.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Echeveria posted:

drat that looks delicious LOOK AT HOW CRISPY THE FISH IS.

It was crucial to get the crispy skin. I'd never cooked red snapper before but figured I could cook it like I do when I want crispy skin on salmon.

Tacier posted:

Hell yeah, that looks delicious. Nice presentation.

Thanks. I really wanted to get good color on the foods. A shame I don't have a better camera, just my dumb phone.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Doh004 posted:

It was crucial to get the crispy skin. I'd never cooked red snapper before but figured I could cook it like I do when I want crispy skin on salmon.

What's your method for crispy skin? I continually fail to get good skin crisp on fish...

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Ayem posted:

What's your method for crispy skin? I continually fail to get good skin crisp on fish...

put it down and don't move it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ayem posted:

In addition to Not loving With It you could try a higher heat if you're pan frying, or a broil for the last tiny bit if you're using the oven.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 26, 2015

franco
Jan 3, 2003

That's Dou Ban Yu (Lowtax's catchphrase), right you never tell us what things are! ? Ingredients and result look like it is, as far as I can tell, and it looks great!

paraquat posted:

Then there were two days this weekend on which we had snails as an appetizer. We found out that my new grocery store sells little cans of snails, so that will be had often from now on.

Ugh, so very jealous. I can't get them anywhere around here; canned or not. That's a pro-app right there :cool:

Doh004 posted:

Echoing all the :vince: going on here. That's completely mouth-watering.

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008

Woof! Woof! posted:

VelociBacon posted:

Not loving With It

Therein lies my mistake. To the fish store!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

franco posted:

Ugh, so very jealous. I can't get them anywhere around here; canned or not. That's a pro-app right there :cool:

They're in every super walmart I've been in. Some of the cans even come with shells to serve in.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

franco posted:

That's Dou Ban Yu (Lowtax's catchphrase), right you never tell us what things are! ? Ingredients and result look like it is, as far as I can tell, and it looks great!

Yep, dou ban xian yu/豆瓣鲜鱼 from Fuchsia Dunlop's "Land of Plenty". It turned out okay except for grabbing it from the wok by the tail. I added warm tofu to the leftover sauce which was also awesome.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

CrazySalamander posted:

They're in every super walmart I've been in. Some of the cans even come with shells to serve in.

Sadly I'm in the UK :( I did just have a search around for online suppliers though, and there are quite a few, although they be hella pricey.

Bob_McBob posted:

Yep, dou ban xian yu/豆瓣鲜鱼 from Fuchsia Dunlop's "Land of Plenty". It turned out okay except for grabbing it from the wok by the tail. I added warm tofu to the leftover sauce which was also awesome.

Ha! I was going to prod you about it being weird to be squeamish about the tail and not the head - that makes a lot more sense! I did Dunlop's last year (posted it in a previous thread, I think) and it really is super.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Made some tuna kimchi jjigae. Was good but a bit too much kimchi. So delicious though.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 27, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

franco posted:

Sadly I'm in the UK :( I did just have a search around for online suppliers though, and there are quite a few, although they be hella pricey.

I'd find snails in Waitrose, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and even bloody Asda when I lived in the UK. Check the canned fish or fancy food sections.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

cryptoclastic posted:

Was good but a bit too much kimchi.

Is that a thing? I didn't think that was a thing.

(would eat)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sage and smoked paprika porkchop stuffed with ricotta, spinach, prosciutto, and cranberries,white rice, portabella and onion wine reduction. Came out pretty good but the pork was a little drier than I would have liked.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

The Midniter posted:

Is that a thing? I didn't think that was a thing.

(would eat)

Taste wise it doesn't matter. May cause intestinal issues though!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

FrancoFish posted:

Sage and smoked paprika porkchop stuffed with ricotta, spinach, prosciutto, and cranberries,white rice, portabella and onion wine reduction. Came out pretty good but the pork was a little drier than I would have liked.

That's beautiful...

I had a quick computer dinner last night, fried rice, quick pickled cucumber and a chicken thigh from the oven.
(made enough fried rice to last me six dinners apparently, so that means more computer/netflix time in my future)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

blixa posted:

I could have spent more time taking a better picture but my nice camera's batteries were dead so cell phone photo it is. With terrible lighting. Oh well :)

I'm sure it was great, and from looking at pictures of risotto on Google it seems like it just isn't an easy food to take pictures of.

Gnocchi with butternut squash:

Sandwich on baguette, 10 month grana, emmental, breseola, greens and Maille mustard

baw fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 28, 2015

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

paraquat posted:

That's beautiful...

I had a quick computer dinner last night, fried rice, quick pickled cucumber and a chicken thigh from the oven.
(made enough fried rice to last me six dinners apparently, so that means more computer/netflix time in my future)

That skin on the chicken looks amazing. How do I do this!

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Susical posted:

How do I do this!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Seriously though, pretty much anything you're cooking that has skin will have crispier skin if it isn't hosed with. Duck, chicken, fish, human etc.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
yep, I marinated it, then shoved it in the oven, skin side up, for 40 minutes on 180 Celcius, no movement, no effort.

today was another day at the computer:
quick summer rolls (because it's winter) with salad leaves, chicken filet, carrot, spring onions, pickled jalapenos, and enormous amount of ginger to clear the nostrils and soothe the throat, and because it tastes awesome.
All was had with a storebought thingy of satey sauce, because I felt particularly lazy today

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Rice paper outsides I assume? Those look delicious and I want to steal this idea

But I'm going to put a few shavings of Carolina Reapers on each piece :getin:

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Doh004 posted:

Seriously though, pretty much anything you're cooking that has skin will have crispier skin if it isn't hosed with. Duck, chicken, fish, human etc.

I find my cooking has improved as I've gotten older mostly because I've stopped doing the things I used to think were "helpful secrets."

Klenath
Aug 12, 2005

Shigata ga nai.
Made another winter time slow oven recipe a few weekends ago: Candied Pork with savory mashed sweet potatoes

The roast's recipe is here:
http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/chefs_recipes/7213/Candied_Pork_Recipe_ft_Pork_Shoulder.htm

I had a larger pork shoulder than the recipe called for, so it cooked for ~7 hours and pulled apart easily with a fork. Not fall apart levels, but very tender.

Need to do some seasoning tweaks for my tastes, but it was pretty drat good and I'll be doing it again. The glaze was sassy because I didn't keep it warm between applications, so it wanted to seize up and turn into sugar again. A touch of water and low heat to keep it warm and fluid fixed that, though.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I Soup'd!

Carrot and coriander. Finished it with yogurt and tahini and garnished with cilantro and sesame seeds.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Pasta con le sarde.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Nelson Mandela posted:

Pasta con le sarde.

Hell. Yes.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

paraquat posted:

computer dinner/netflix

Nelson Mandela posted:

Pasta con le sarde.

Oh hey there fellow computer dinner/netflix/piles of pasta lovers. I was feeling especially lazy on a rare day off so quickly blitzed some radish leaf/parmesan/pistachio/chilli/garlic/oil/etc. pesto, threw it in some spaghetti and added some grilled chicken (because why not?) and then covered it in more parmesan than is healthy for anyone. Eaten in front of a newly renewed Netflix account movie. Movie was awful, food was not. That makes me even, I think?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oooh, you just gave me an idea. I have some carrots with their tops sitting in the fridge. Wonder if I could make a pesto from the carrot tops?

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Nelson Mandela posted:

Pasta con le sarde.

Looks great! That reminds me to eat more sardines.

Made spicy roasted ratatouille pasta tonight (recipe) and it was delicious! Sorry for lack of plating but we were hungry and this is what's left.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Nelson Mandela posted:

Pasta con le sarde.

Colle sarde :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

angor posted:

Oooh, you just gave me an idea. I have some carrots with their tops sitting in the fridge. Wonder if I could make a pesto from the carrot tops?

Absolutely. They make a very good pesto indeed,

• Locked thread