Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Buffis posted:

I prefer to carve out my chairs from solid blocks of stone.

Both footprint and cycles are kindof awkward, but it looks cool.

I had the exact same idea, doing a sort of milling operation is far, far easier to me. Hell, I did the whale mission the same way, mill a perfect cube then get rid of the eyes/spine and extrude only meat/blubber logs for the processors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Buffis posted:

I prefer to carve out my chairs from solid blocks of stone.

Both footprint and cycles are kindof awkward, but it looks cool.

This is hella cool

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Buffis posted:

This reddit thread has some pretty extreme examples of rotator abuse for low cycles:
http://www.reddit.com/r/infinifactory/comments/2ts3md/spoilers_a_cycle_optimization_trick/

Uuuuuuuugh I have a lot of solutions I need to remake. God dammit. :(

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Finally, a solution I am reasonably proud of. Not the top of the charts, but certainly in the 90th percentile in both cycles and footprint.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 28, 2015

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
This game is amazing, but god rotators loving suck. I can't stand them. I guess it's early access for a reason because I seriously can't imagine rotators being unchanged in the final release.

That being said, I'm going to continue putting up with them because jesus christ this game is fun

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
To those that have solved 6-2/relaxant formula 13: what the heck are the non-top cubes of the goal supposed to be? I can't really tell from the
highlighted goal image, and the "your solution is wrong" message is zoomed weirdly and looks even more different.
(Yes, I understand what the machine does).

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

OddObserver posted:

the "your solution is wrong" message is zoomed weirdly and looks even more different.

You can rotate the stuff in that message box to make it more clear what the issue is. No, you're never told this.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

GuavaMoment posted:

You can rotate the stuff in that message box to make it more clear what the issue is. No, you're never told this.

Thanks.. Doesn't help much, though --- it just seems to bug out on me:

Is the bottom one supposed to be wood? Or filled in glass? And what about the one that looks transparent here --- it doesn't seem transparent on
the goal image. Maybe. can't really tell.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

OddObserver posted:

Thanks.. Doesn't help much, though --- it just seems to bug out on me:

Is the bottom one supposed to be wood? Or filled in glass? And what about the one that looks transparent here --- it doesn't seem transparent on
the goal image. Maybe. can't really tell.

Yeah, you got a display bug. It's (from bottom to top) wood log - filled glass doodad - the cap piece. 3 things total.

e:

quote:

[

You could probably cut down on the footprint a tiny bit (and the cycles) by moving the conveyor belt to be up against that preexisting wall.

Oh, also: :getin:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 28, 2015

Idiot
Dec 21, 2006
AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?
This is the first half of my solution for puzzle 3-3.

It feels completely arbitrary which conveyor takes control when they're all pulling in different directions.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Idiot posted:

It feels completely arbitrary which conveyor takes control when they're all pulling in different directions.

This makes the game look a whole lot like spacechem.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Idiot posted:

This is art.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Idiot posted:

I believe the rules are that two conveyors pulling it in opposite directions cancel out entirely, and after that, one axis consistently gets priority over the other.

You can see that in your setup - after the first rotation there's only one conveyor touching it, so that's straightforward. After the second rotation, there are two conveyors, and the sideways one gets priority. After the third rotation, the two sideways conveyors cancel each other out, so it moves back just like after the first rotation.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I wonder what Zach thought people needed all thet superfluous space in Javelin Point Defense for...

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

how me a frog posted:

I wonder what Zach thought people needed all thet superfluous space in Javelin Point Defense for...

I though that area is the temple that is mentioned by the woman seeking to escape. It looks like there are ruins of arches and an altar at the end so it fits :shrug:.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009
3-3 is pretty fun; found another way to handle the rotation:

Then went a bit crazy with it:

https://gfycat.com/AngelicInexperiencedHairstreakbutterfly

Moog
Sep 14, 2013

Met48 posted:

That is so beautiful to watch. I actually skipped that puzzle because I didn't know you could attach blocks to pushers/blockers.

I'm so stumped by this whale level.

I'm cutting the tail off and the very first bit of the front and then cutting it into four identical slices but I can't for the life of me figure a good way to break them down. I think I'm fretting too much about getting the maximum amount of output per slice, but it feels so dirty to do it any other way.

EDIT: woop, solved it and finished the "story". Time to go back and wrack my brain and feel even more stupid trying to get top scores. Feel kinda disappointed that right as they introduce some other characters they don't give you any more story.

Moog fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 28, 2015

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Wild M
Oct 19, 2007

Assignment Complete! REACTION ERROR: Collisions between atoms are not allowed in reaction programs. The reaction will now be stopped.

Man, I was going to post this later today. :(

But yeah, lifters are handy for all kinds of cheating.

Idiot
Dec 21, 2006
AM I DOING THIS RIGHT?

Met48 posted:

Something like that was my original plan but I can't stand how you aren't able to push anything on ground level. It'd be nice if you had more control over how objects attach to each other. Also it would be cool if you could activate rotators with the positive edge of a signal from a conduit. Rotators ought to have differently colored arrows too, orange on orange is really hard to make out from any kind of distance.

Edit: Attachment control would also make conduit systems WAY more compact.

Idiot fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 28, 2015

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a block wiki somewhere or something ? I dont understand how the sensor block works , the one without the orange thing.

edit:nevermind lmao its apparently just facing down

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Idiot posted:

Something like that was my original plan but I can't stand how you aren't able to push anything on ground level. It'd be nice if you had more control over how objects attach to each other. Also it would be cool if you could activate rotators with the positive edge of a signal from a conduit. Rotators ought to have differently colored arrows too, orange on orange is really hard to make out from any kind of distance.

Edit: Attachment control would also make conduit systems WAY more compact.

Attachment control and rotation improvement are literally the only two things I think NEED 'fixed' before out of early alpha. The rest like logic blocks or whatnot I think are just things that would be nice.

This is Not Alf XXX
Jul 12, 2004

Forer posted:

Attachment control and rotation improvement are literally the only two things I think NEED 'fixed' before out of early alpha. The rest like logic blocks or whatnot I think are just things that would be nice.

Eh... those things would just take away some challenge. I don't get why everyone is complaining about rotation, it's pretty simple. And it's not like there aren't ways around the attachment problem anyway:

Idiot posted:

Something like that was my original plan but I can't stand how you aren't able to push anything on ground level.

Why push when you can pull? (And also push on ground level)

This is Not Alf XXX fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 29, 2015

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

This is Not Alf XXX posted:

Eh... those things would just take away some challenge.

That can be said of any block in the game, but with steam workshop you can say "this puzzle can't be completed using X blocks" so it evens out, you can make puzzles and then say now do it without X block or y block group or whatnot.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I must be insane. It's the only explanation.

Why do I do this to myself?

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Before I finish my solution for Furnished Studio Apartment, could I get a confirmation that the wall piece doesn't need to be rotated 180 degrees?

It seems that way from the top tile pattern, but I haven't tried yet.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

TheKnife posted:

Before I finish my solution for Furnished Studio Apartment, could I get a confirmation that the wall piece doesn't need to be rotated 180 degrees?

It does not need to be rotated. It comes out with the correct alignment.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

TheKnife posted:

I didn't even notice that, someone should send zach a message about it.

Also no, if you did then it wouldn't be in the tier it's in.

Edit:

Buffis posted:

It does not need to be rotated. It comes out with the correct alignment.

if you don't see it now, He means the wall that the TV sits in, it looks like it's been rotated 180 degrees

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Stuff like this makes me wonder why the metric is footprint rather than parts used.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

This is Not Alf XXX posted:

Eh... those things would just take away some challenge. I don't get why everyone is complaining about rotation, it's pretty simple. And it's not like there aren't ways around the attachment problem anyway:

rotators are just kind of clumsy pieces with annoying rules, especially with single block rotation. the fact that your ability to move things off rotators is limited makes them kind of lovely.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Parts used is an even more annoying metric, because then you just remove all your conveyors and have the blocks make their way anywhere by stepping on the backs of their previously-created brethren.

Concerned Citizen posted:

rotators are just kind of clumsy pieces with annoying rules, especially with single block rotation. the fact that your ability to move things off rotators is limited makes them kind of lovely.

Single-block rotation is easy though? (At least, it is since they patched it). It literally Just Works unless your factory is getting backed up somewhere after the rotator.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
This game is already doing terrible things to me.

Think I might have a close-to-max cycles on the shuttle propulsion unit level:

93 cycles with this. I followed the spacechem tournaments so I know that state machines are 9 out of 10 times the solution for speed.

(Need to set up one of those gif creators to show this in action...)

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 29, 2015

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Jabor posted:

Parts used is an even more annoying metric, because then you just remove all your conveyors and have the blocks make their way anywhere by stepping on the backs of their previously-created brethren.

If you can make blocks move that way (it isnt as universally possible as you appear to claim) then thats just efficient engineering. Using lifters for horizontal movement is just stupid.

Lektor
May 1, 2013
Lifters for horizontal movement is really only an issue on that one stage, with those critters running around when not being actively moved.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

how me a frog posted:

If you can make blocks move that way (it isnt as universally possible as you appear to claim)

I honestly can't think of a level where you wouldn't be either doing that, or deleting the majority of your conveyors because your multi-part piece moves just fine even when half of them are missing.

Finding a way to fit everything you need into a single vertical plane is a cool engineering challenge. Minimising the number of parts you've used is 90% fiddly bullshit.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lektor posted:

Lifters for horizontal movement is really only an issue on that one stage, with those critters running around when not being actively moved.

What critters? I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Jabor posted:

I honestly can't think of a level where you wouldn't be either doing that, or deleting the majority of your conveyors because your multi-part piece moves just fine even when half of them are missing.

Finding a way to fit everything you need into a single vertical plane is a cool engineering challenge. Minimising the number of parts you've used is 90% fiddly bullshit.

Minimal part counts require solutions that do complex things while being simple. Minimal footprint allows solutions that work by dumb brute force. Your gif is a simple lifter-pusher setup repeated 15 loving times. I don't find that very interesting or challenging at all, unless tediousness is part of the challenge. I'm not sure how rebuilding the same machine 15 times can possibly be less annoying than "delete every other conveyor block" or "design your conveyors to use the least number of turns" (which actually can be interesting engineering challenge).

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Olpainless posted:

This game is already doing terrible things to me.

Think I might have a close-to-max cycles on the shuttle propulsion unit level:

93 cycles with this. I followed the spacechem tournaments so I know that state machines are 9 out of 10 times the solution for speed.

(Need to set up one of those gif creators to show this in action...)

Optimizing cycles in this game isn't exactly like SpaceChem because you have a lot more parallelism at your disposal. You can get 91 cycles just by counting out 5 blocks and staggering their landing locations: http://gfycat.com/SilverEnchantedHuemul

I don't think you can input more than 5 blocks per 6 cycles on this level due to the orientation. But it's possible to optimize the travel time more than I have. Jabor got 88 cycles.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Relay Satellite without any lifters was an interesting puzzle.

If you assemble the horizontal layers separately and then stack them, you have to keep the solar panels all on one level, which leads to some slow, cramped horizontal sprawl: http://gfycat.com/SharpFrailHerald

If you assemble the central column first, you need a mobile welder or you have to wait for a solar panel to finish falling before moving toward the output: http://gfycat.com/YellowImpressionableBillygoat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Jabor posted:

My opinion is the inverse. Especially since you literally would do the having gaps in convayors anyway to minimize the footprint. v:shobon:v

• Locked thread