Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Diggle's upper arm is practically the size of Roy's head :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I follow Arrow moderately because of the Flash, does Laurel have any combat training at all? I mean, you'd have to be extra special dumb to try to fight crime without it. Or is it one of those "My dad is a cop, grrll power!" things?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hiddenriverninja posted:

I follow Arrow moderately because of the Flash, does Laurel have any combat training at all? I mean, you'd have to be extra special dumb to try to fight crime without it. Or is it one of those "My dad is a cop, grrll power!" things?

She as trained by Wildcat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She also had some decent self defense training from her dad in season 1 that seems to have been dropped now.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
^^^^^ Beaten like Laurel by some two bit mook

bobkatt013 posted:

She as trained by Wildcat.

Which is funny because she actually fought better in Season 1 when she just had some self defense training and a law degree.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Laurel is just an idiot with "some self-defense" training and anger issues, but her career is just starting.

I expect she'll be doing Roy level flips-n-stuff next season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Canary in the comics is a hell of a lot better fighter than Oliver and one of the top martial artists period, so I'm curious who they're going to have train her (or if they'll just downgrade her permanently.)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

She also had some decent self defense training from her dad in season 1 that seems to have been dropped now.

I still miss the Laurel that straight up pulled a drat shotgun out on a home invader.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It's actually kind of refreshing that she's pretty bad at this and not some unstoppable engine of destruction from the get go. There are clear levels of competence in the fighting area. Like, Roy can clown on goons all day but he fights somebody like Nyssa and gets his rear end kicked who in turn loses to guys of Oliver and Slade's level who would get rocked by Ra's al Ghul. It's like a food chain of rear end kicking.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Aphrodite posted:

Black Canary in the comics is a hell of a lot better fighter than Oliver and one of the top martial artists period, so I'm curious who they're going to have train her (or if they'll just downgrade her permanently.)

Clearly Ra's al Ghul. Fully repaying the blood debt from the dead sister with a life one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

adhuin posted:

Clearly Ra's al Ghul. Fully repaying the blood debt from the dead sister with a life one.

That would actually be cool. Canary and Ra's have a comics history too.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I still wish Laurel would have become Ravager

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Aphrodite posted:

I hope he has a breakdance fight with Ollie Roy.
Yeah, an early twenties, Thea-kissing LoA member is definitely a setup to a duel for Roy. In fact I found some leaked shots from their upcoming fight.

Reo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 29, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Ollie seriously upped his game during the missing time of One Year Later, enough that he was able to fight Deathstroke to a standstill.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

Laurel is basically Iris but worse in every possible way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ollie seriously upped his game during the missing time of One Year Later, enough that he was able to fight Deathstroke to a standstill.

Yeah but that was the old universe.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Rurea posted:

Laurel is basically Iris but worse in every possible way.

I would've disagreed before yesterday, but I think Laurel has become even more annoying since she tried to replace her dead sister. Last night's episode was a real shark jumping moment, wherein even Felicity - the one who's supposed to be smart - gave in and accepted that a female ADA with a month of boxing training and a metal stick can fight crime as a vigilante. That being said, any Iris-related subplot in Flash is easily the worst part of that show.

Gumption.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't really understand why they didn't follow-through on the boxing training Laurel's been doing. I assume she's still been training there but we've had a bunch of episodes where they had the opportunity to establish that she's getting better really quickly and they just ignored it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I am wondering if they're going to ditch the Arsenal name just to go with Red Arrow for Roy. While they had the scene where Oliver said they'll start calling him Arsenal they still haven't really committed to the name. I'm not sure if it has even come up since.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Mooseontheloose posted:

dude Colton Hayes is killing it.

Yeah. He was great this episode.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
They've called him Arsenal a handful of times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I don't really understand why they didn't follow-through on the boxing training Laurel's been doing. I assume she's still been training there but we've had a bunch of episodes where they had the opportunity to establish that she's getting better really quickly and they just ignored it.

Boxing is pretty useless outside of a boxing ring or like blindsiding someone.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Laurel has been perfectly fine through this whole arc and her move towards superheroics has been no more ridiculous than Roy "I have training from Oliver and YEARS ON THE STREETS" Harper's. Deal with it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

adhuin posted:

Ted should refer her to his friend Sandy from Detroit who has her own dojo.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I am wondering if they're going to ditch the Arsenal name just to go with Red Arrow for Roy. While they had the scene where Oliver said they'll start calling him Arsenal they still haven't really committed to the name. I'm not sure if it has even come up since.

It has. The red arrow thing is just the cops/media's name for him, like The Hood or The Red Streak.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I wouldn't be shocked if Arsenal just gradually gets dropped in favor of Red Arrow and this is how people finally start to refer to Oliver as Green Arrow in the process.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Diggliver is real yall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hcreight posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if Arsenal just gradually gets dropped in favor of Red Arrow and this is how people finally start to refer to Oliver as Green Arrow in the process.

Pretty sure that's where it's going. Ollie comes back, and the people have started taking to his replacements. Pretty sure them calling Laurel 'the woman in black' is how they're getting to "So... if you're the Green/Red Arrow, guess I'm the Black Canary?"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

imperialparadox posted:

Diggle doesn't give a gently caress. He should just start leaving behind 8x10 glossies of himself with "Bring it" scribbled on the front in marker.

I wish Diggle would at least wear like a chest rig or plate carrier. But I guess that's part of the charm of his character; dude gives no fucks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
We are in the wrong universe for Red Arrow

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

zoux posted:

Diggliver is real yall.

O-Diggity, O-doubt.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would like a gif of Laurel jumping on top of the van and eating poo poo please.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

I would like a gif of Laurel jumping on top of the van and eating poo poo please.

Would have been hilarious if she busted her ankle and became incapacitated the whole fight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's why you wear heels. The heel acts as a crumple zone for the ankle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was fully prepared to scoff at how good at crimefighting Laurel came after a week of boxing training but I guess the show knew better.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

hcreight posted:

Laurel has been perfectly fine through this whole arc and her move towards superheroics has been no more ridiculous than Roy "I have training from Oliver and YEARS ON THE STREETS" Harper's. Deal with it.
Except the actor has the physicality to back it up. Laurel's actress doesn't. She was swinging that staff like a baseball bat, it looked painfully stupid and awkward and unwieldy. And why would you even use a staff if you've been training in boxing? Nothing about what she did made any sense.

But then there was a lot of cringe-worthy stuff in this episode, from the blatant law-breaking by Laurel setting up the mook to be killed in prison if he didn't talk to the 'one of the aldermen has a pacemaker that has to be recharged(?!)' I mean I'm nothing like a cardiologist but seriously? Also Felicity's sudden nano-quantum-electrical microchip engineering skills. Why is she working as a personal assistant again? Maybe one of those howlers an episode I'd be able to overlook but one right after another, sheesh.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Oracle posted:

Except the actor has the physicality to back it up. Laurel's actress doesn't. She was swinging that staff like a baseball bat, it looked painfully stupid and awkward and unwieldy. And why would you even use a staff if you've been training in boxing? Nothing about what she did made any sense.

But then there was a lot of cringe-worthy stuff in this episode, from the blatant law-breaking by Laurel setting up the mook to be killed in prison if he didn't talk to the 'one of the aldermen has a pacemaker that has to be recharged(?!)' I mean I'm nothing like a cardiologist but seriously? Also Felicity's sudden nano-quantum-electrical microchip engineering skills. Why is she working as a personal assistant again? Maybe one of those howlers an episode I'd be able to overlook but one right after another, sheesh.

I think that maybe TV in general may not be for you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Oracle posted:

...The whole point is that she's awkward with the staff and is only using it out of sentimentality? Roy even asks if it's a good idea and points out that the Arrowcave has a ton of other weapons she could choose from.

And Felicity's Palmer Tech's VP in charge of Applied Sciences, I believe. The office Ray keeps coming into is hers. She has her own PA and everything (that we only saw the one time).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oracle posted:

The entire point of those scenes was that she's not adequately prepared to go out there. Laurel swinging the staff around like a bat was deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I gotta admit, I didn't like him at first, but that DJ has some killer beats.

• Locked thread