Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheSpookyDanger posted:

jesus christ this loving mine mission is awful someone mod it to be less lovely tia
do the zombies still take a billion hits to kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

IronicDongz posted:

do the zombies still take a billion hits to kill

the miner guys? yeah they take for loving ever, but there's only three and you can run them back to the other dudes who will slowly plink them down so that's something? too bad the boss hits for a million damage and summon those little poo poo spitters. also you have to start from the beginning if you die. it's loving shamefully designed.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

actually its hardcore and it owns

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

nah

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlbmi1hhV_0

On a less entertaining note, this is still incredibly tedious to play.

Seriously, like, terraria gives you so many more options than this poo poo. There's nothing for me to do other than what the drat game tells me to do at each point.

It's a loving sandbox game, why would you reduce the number of options available to me over previous builds?

I genuinely cannot bring myself to do the boring poo poo the game keeps asking me to do in order to have the pleasure of doing anything else.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012
Starbound is def more of a game now. Unfortunately most of the good changes are the fixes to things that shouldn't have been like that in the first place. Fighting still sucks.

Anyway, how do I get to that moon mission people are always talking about? Do I get it after I make coffee?

edit: just got killed after having beamed up. Come on.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Horse boobs spotted

Start seems to be okay so far. Manipulator is actually good and doesn't take forever to dig/chop

Not keen on that mining mission though going by what has been said about it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

actually it's an early access game and those quests are placeholders, so you're not allowed to be dissatisfied with something, especially if you didn't pay for it.

oh

oh

Musluk
May 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

It's a loving sandbox game, why would you reduce the number of options available to me over previous builds?

dark souls

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Tin Tim posted:

Start seems to be okay so far. Manipulator is actually good and doesn't take forever to dig/chop

Not keen on that mining mission though going by what has been said about it

The matter manipulator also gets upgrades.

The easier way iv'e seen to deal with the mining base mission is to get a crossbow and keep your distance. Shields will not help you against their blood-vomit attack.

Crossbows are usually easy to find in random chests around caves and the surface of planets.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

actually it's an early access game and those quests are placeholders, so you're not allowed to be dissatisfied with something, especially if you didn't pay for it.

oh

oh

That's another thing I don't understand, why the hell would you build such an agonisingly strict progression system, and then populate it with the most boring loving gating quests I've ever seen.

If you haven't got any worthwhile content, don't loving make me play your lovely content.

Jesus Christ I cannot believe how bad this game has gotten since the last stable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 29, 2015

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I made a safe space for whoever bought all the really lovely AV's for people in this thread to own up to it

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697698

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

OwlFancier posted:

That's another thing I don't understand, why the hell would you build such an agonisingly strict progression system, and then populate it with the most boring loving gating quests I've ever seen.

If you haven't got any worthwhile content, don't loving make me play your lovely content.

Jesus Christ I cannot believe how bad this game has gotten since the last stable.

it's probably because they made another minecraft knockoff and guess what? all the autists making mods are still modding minecraft. now the dev team feels like they have to make a 'game' whatever that means to them, lol.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

TheSpookyDanger posted:

jesus christ this loving mine mission is awful someone mod it to be less lovely tia

you can run past literally every enemy in the level if you have double jump and boost, but the boss keeps killing me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm going to just say it, the update hasn't added anything. Oh sure it's got like, more sprites and stuff, but in terms of actual playable content? Way less. Because the quest gating has completely annihilated the one part of the game that was implemented half decently, which was the sandbox. Now you get no sandbox, just some lovely fetch quest slog. No alternative paths because those still haven't been added, just do dumb quests that are mind numbingly boring.

It is more of a game in that it is structured more like one, it is not anything I would actually want to play because it has zero content in the game department.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
why do people keep talking about "sides" in this thread

the game is too one-dimensional to have sides

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Is this thread still bad

I bet it's still bad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

(i may or may not be making images for the new thread)

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 29, 2015

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Same

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Install Wizard is the best thing about the game

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

????, starbound, common

yes, this does seem true

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Is this thread still bad

I bet it's still bad

You're an extremely bad poster

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Is this thread still bad

I bet it's still bad
Thread was alright.
Then the update dropped and some people showed up to tell everyone how bad their taste is and they like the game and one of them bought avatars for other people.

I miss the old times...

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

oddium posted:

You're an extremely bad poster

you're an eve goon lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it was alright

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going to just say it, the update hasn't added anything. Oh sure it's got like, more sprites and stuff, but in terms of actual playable content? Way less. Because the quest gating has completely annihilated the one part of the game that was implemented half decently, which was the sandbox. Now you get no sandbox, just some lovely fetch quest slog. No alternative paths because those still haven't been added, just do dumb quests that are mind numbingly boring.

It is more of a game in that it is structured more like one, it is not anything I would actually want to play because it has zero content in the game department.

Pretty much this. Everything's so gated and controlled. Do this mission. Get this ore. They literally FORCE you to make the right tier of armour to progress. You can't get lucky and get propelled forwards a whole bunch like you can in Terraria. In Terraria you could use bombs to mine things you can't normally and get some equipment long before you'd normally be able to get it. That was good! That was loving good! In Starbound you just point your MM at your feet and hold down left mouse button. Occasionally you'll fall into a cavern and fight some boring monsters and get a little ore so you can make your next tier of armour and weapons which let you fight the current crop of enemies as effectively as your old gear let you fight the old enemies from the previous planet. There's no feeling of your power increasing there. You literally can't do something smart or get lucky and get a little more power than is expected for your current 'level'.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Slime posted:

Pretty much this. Everything's so gated and controlled. Do this mission. Get this ore. They literally FORCE you to make the right tier of armour to progress. You can't get lucky and get propelled forwards a whole bunch like you can in Terraria. In Terraria you could use bombs to mine things you can't normally and get some equipment long before you'd normally be able to get it. That was good! That was loving good! In Starbound you just point your MM at your feet and hold down left mouse button. Occasionally you'll fall into a cavern and fight some boring monsters and get a little ore so you can make your next tier of armour and weapons which let you fight the current crop of enemies as effectively as your old gear let you fight the old enemies from the previous planet. There's no feeling of your power increasing there. You literally can't do something smart or get lucky and get a little more power than is expected for your current 'level'.

Most of this is pretty valid, but also it's not like Terraria's monsters (except for some bosses) were especially interesting.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Babe Magnet posted:

Should I start work on the new thread? I have some stuff prepared but I stopped working on it a few weeks go because I'm easily distracted

Yes, I think there's plenty of people who have been waiting for new content and are unaware, and the thread could use the new blood.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
People are saying a hotfix pushed earlier today is missing the directx build and as a result lots of people are getting lovely performance after updating again.
I can understand leaving in some bugs and sometimes even overlooking gamebreaking bugs will happen (though less understandable) but how do you leave out an entire executable, wow.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I'm working on images for it now so it's not boring. I don't have too much experience with the new stable but I played a bit of the latest unstable and it seems largely the same.

Going to be a section for goon modding, who knows, maybe all the cool modders will come back.

Someday~

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Slime posted:

Generally I agree. At least they don't lock out hazardous worlds until you get the suit for them, so you can go to an airless or super hot or whatever world early if you want to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slime posted:

For me the biggest poo poo is that in terraria, I have multiple choices about where to go, where to explore, or even what to do. I can go build a base, go mining for different types of ore or different items, explore along the surface for useful stuff, or fight a boss, and I can do them in any order.

Not only does starbound not have a big chunk of that, and what it does have doesn't contribute positively to your success like it does in terraria, but I couldn't choose whether I want to do it or not even if it did have it because of the stupid gating.

deadly_pudding posted:

Most of this is pretty valid, but also it's not like Terraria's monsters (except for some bosses) were especially interesting.

They're infinitely better than the starbound ones, which thus far are all basically identical except for cosmetic differences. They also actually have predictable or telegraphed attacks, which starbound ones don't because of the lovely animations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

post thread titles, I'm using "Starbound: But The Future Refused To Change [Early Access]" unless someone gives me something better

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Bring cooked food and red stims to the mining mission. The miner zombies at the bottom are a little too tough to face tank, but all the chaff enemies before then can be damage raced if you start with full health (or half, but I imagine you'll hate everything if you get overconfident and die). In my three attempts I used about 30 stims and 8 good food items. I would've preferred relying on the food, but what can you do when you only get 30% uptime on the regen from it?

The boss is a "puzzle" with a heaping side of avoid the lasers. If you need more than 3 tries on the boss that's (technically) not the developers' fault. That said, a boss designed around basic pattern recognition with 3 patterns that will kill you if you gently caress up even once is pretty poo poo when you have to walk all the way back down there. Because, you know, it's kind of rough to read developer minds to get each pattern correct before you've seen it. Do note that gently caress up means getting hit more than once per pattern. If you need to regen your health you can drop below the boss into a safe zone, the pattern you're on will restart once you leave it.

Honestly, I've played worse. The first balance pass on Hardmode Terraria springs to mind. Mind you, I've also played better.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

post thread titles, I'm using "Starbound: But The Future Refused To Change [Early Access]" unless someone gives me something better

Starbound: Has A Big Dick

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Babe Magnet posted:

Starbound: why do people keep talking about "sides" in this thread [Early Access]

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Starbound: Are You The Keymaster? [Early Access]

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

OwlFancier posted:

For me the biggest poo poo is that in terraria, I have multiple choices about where to go, where to explore, or even what to do. I can go build a base, go mining for different types of ore or different items, explore along the surface for useful stuff, or fight a boss, and I can do them in any order.
I mean I could say "it's not finished yet", and it might be relevant to this topic to bring up the alternate progression the game plans to have eventually, but speaking solely for what's right in front of us and can actually be played, that definitely stands out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Starbound: A bee good game I am...not.

• Locked thread