Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

RottenK posted:

I do not understand the desire to stay fair and avoid dirty tricks when fighting against evil pieces of poo poo that cheat and lie all the time.
Well for one it means you can still criticise them for that.

Also, no one gives a poo poo about extramarital affairs, they can go weeping to the people who might care, and be forgiven because they are One Of Us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Well for one it means you can still criticise them for that.

Also, no one gives a poo poo about extramarital affairs, they can go weeping to the people who might care, and be forgiven because they are One Of Us.

Their base won't give a poo poo but people on the fence might turn on them. "Oh, they can't even stay faithful to their own wives, why do they give so much of a poo poo about the sanctity of marriage?" You're never trying to turn believers with strategies like that, you're trying to sway people in the middle.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kegluneq posted:

It's an ad hominem attack. Unless she's personally been smeared by anti-LGBT lawmakers it's not actually tit for tat. Plus she would almost certainly be found guilty of slander if she's going off rumours.

Ad hominem means "to the person", which is perfectly fine if the person is deserving of attack. Ad hom is only a bad word if you're trying to use it to prove you're right about something else, if the point is just to say "gently caress you, you're a prick", then its perfectly valid.

And I was assuming she was revealing true poo poo and not random rumors

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I feel like it would also make sense to attack your opponent if what they propagate is "Family Values", while they break "Family Values". It's not strictly ad hominem, I don't think, but just displaying their dishonesty.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It's not like she'd be wrong. Alabama politicians are all about family values, while they're all scummy. My local sheriff had a problem lately. His wife walked into his office, slapped him so hard he fell down, and yelled at him telling him that she would take everything he owns.

See, recently the sheriff has been porking his secretary, and given her promotions where she's making almost as much or more than the head detective.

I love small town usa. :911:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Best headline: "Mormons condemn discrimination of gays and demand the right to discriminate gays" (transl.).
I like the NY Times treatment:

And then the LDS church put out a release saying, "Aw guys, these other news outlets have headlines like 'LDS Church is cool with gay people,' can you please focus on that instead of the rest of what we were saying?" :rolleyes:

I'm so disappointed. If the message had limited itself to marriage then fine, I would just smile about the empty rhetoric and ignore it. But trying to reserve the right for "religious exemptions" to non-discrimination laws is a pile of bullshit.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Kegluneq posted:

Plus she would almost certainly be found guilty of slander if she's going off rumours.

It is nearly impossible to slander a public official.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Macaroni posted:

I like the NY Times treatment:

And then the LDS church put out a release saying, "Aw guys, these other news outlets have headlines like 'LDS Church is cool with gay people,' can you please focus on that instead of the rest of what we were saying?" :rolleyes:

I'm so disappointed. If the message had limited itself to marriage then fine, I would just smile about the empty rhetoric and ignore it. But trying to reserve the right for "religious exemptions" to non-discrimination laws is a pile of bullshit.

That's why I was saying this is a positioning thing rather than changing what they're selling. They're trying to support changes to the law that will INCREASE discrimination while trying to claim the opposite. They're quite used to their "flock" meekly accepting this type of thing so it bothers them when they try it in public and people don't lap it up. The only reason they felt it necessary to try in the first place is that a LARGE number of young people are dropping away. It's also the reason they built a church owned mall in SLC. Gotta diversify their revenue streams, you see.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Three Olives posted:

It is nearly impossible to slander a public official.

It's also only slander if they can prove that she doesn't believe what she's saying is true, right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

paragon1 posted:

It's also only slander if they can prove that she doesn't believe what she's saying is true, right?

It's only slander if they can prove she acted with actual malice, which in practice means actual knowledge the statement is not true. This is only true for public figures though - if I were to slander you it'd be a much lower standard.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

RottenK posted:

I do not understand the desire to stay fair and avoid dirty tricks when fighting against evil pieces of poo poo that cheat and lie all the time.

It's the same sort of logic that causes conservatives to agree torturing the "bad people" is ok because we're the good guys. Yes publicly exposing someone's sexual history isn't nearly as bad as waterboarding or forced feeding but the point is if we're actually the good guys we should be above their tactics.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

It is not underhanded at all to demonstrate that a "family values" politician is full of poo poo via exposing infidelity. As soon as you claim to support the "sanctity of marriage" or whatever as a reason to discriminate against LGBT people, the fact that you're totally ok with cheating on a spouse is relevant information and absolutely should be exposed to the public. It's the public figure's infidelity combined with their politics that makes publicly exposing their hypocrisy fair game. That isn't on the people doing the exposing.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's the same sort of logic that causes conservatives to agree torturing the "bad people" is ok because we're the good guys. Yes publicly exposing someone's sexual history isn't nearly as bad as waterboarding or forced feeding but the point is if we're actually the good guys we should be above their tactics.

This isn't about sexual history, its about lying.

I'm not sure why exposing someone for cheating isn't a good thing regardless of the context, you're essentially arguing that it would be "the tactics of the bad guys" if you don't let these people get away clean with foul acts.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

She's just upholding the Alabama government's oft-stated commitment to family values. Family values are very important to Alabama, don't voters deserve to know that the politicians they elect will uphold their deep commitment to a bible-based marriage?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think liars and hypocrites should be exposed regardless of which side they are on. There are numerous examples of liberals whose private behavior has discredited their own issue advocacy, they should have known better. If you don't want to be exposed as a liar and a hypocrite don't be one in the first place.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

MaxxBot posted:

I think liars and hypocrites should be exposed regardless of which side they are on. There are numerous examples of liberals whose private behavior has discredited their own issue advocacy, they should have known better. If you don't want to be exposed as a liar and a hypocrite don't be one in the first place.
I think this is an ok rule, but "Blackmail liars into altering their public political stance" is bad, and "Publically blackmail liars into altering their public political stance" is just bad strategy since anyone who does drop family values rhetoric will look guilty of something.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

twodot posted:

I think this is an ok rule, but "Blackmail liars into altering their public political stance" is bad, and "Publically blackmail liars into altering their public political stance" is just bad strategy since anyone who does drop family values rhetoric will look guilty of something.

Yeah I agree in these sort of situations it would be best to just expose the information outright or stay quiet rather than make a spectacle about it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

twodot posted:

This. Also, I just feel that issues of fidelity and expectations of fidelity are between a person and their significant other(s). They deserve all kinds of misfortune in the cosmic sense, but I'm seeing literally the exact same logic people use to justify the death penalty even as they oppose abortion rights--that doing a bad thing makes a person fair game for any and all indignities that may be inflicted upon them. I keep thinking back to that famous quote about an eye for an eye leaving the whole world blind.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This. Also, I just feel that issues of fidelity and expectations of fidelity are between a person and their significant other(s).

The same should apply to homosexuality, rather than make it a legal issue.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
gently caress these people. Their whole stated position is that homosexuality is a sin and as such we're not deserving of equal rights. If I"m a politician my public stance is "abortion is evil" and it turns out I made my mistress get an abortion like that one guy, it should absolutely be made an issue.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

RagnarokAngel posted:

No.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This. Also, I just feel that issues of fidelity and expectations of fidelity are between a person and their significant other(s). They deserve all kinds of misfortune in the cosmic sense, but I'm seeing literally the exact same logic people use to justify the death penalty even as they oppose abortion rights--that doing a bad thing makes a person fair game for any and all indignities that may be inflicted upon them. I keep thinking back to that famous quote about an eye for an eye leaving the whole world blind.

Having true things said about them: any and all indignities.

Okay.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

This phrase is a pragmatic argument not a moral one

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I don't feel like outing people because you decided they deserved it is something I'm very interested in participating in, and I wouldn't be very impressed with anyone who claimed to do it in my name.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

SubponticatePoster posted:

gently caress these people. Their whole stated position is that homosexuality is a sin and as such we're not deserving of equal rights. If I"m a politician my public stance is "abortion is evil" and it turns out I made my mistress get an abortion like that one guy, it should absolutely be made an issue.
Agreed. Particularly since I think part of the implication here is that some of these people are having homosexual affairs. Checking privilege and all, I don't have a terrible problem with outing hateful people who actively work to harm others.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Freudian posted:

I don't feel like outing people because you decided they deserved it is something I'm very interested in participating in, and I wouldn't be very impressed with anyone who claimed to do it in my name.

Pretty much. I've always held it as a cardinal rule that outing gay people is just something you don't do and it seems really twisted to use it against someone just because you're the good guys. Road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 29, 2015

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

he is the poster child for modern forced-outing. Babeu is the standard for the vile human piece of poo poo in politics which needs to be revealed for who he is and what he does.

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 29, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Do It Once Right posted:

he is the poster child for modern forced-outing. Babeu is the standard for the vile human piece of poo poo in politics which needs to be revealed for who he is and what he does.

Would.

As a side note, does anyone have any good op-eds or articles about why religious freedom exemptions are a crock of poo poo? I keep telling my rear end in a top hat brother this but he's all 'that's just your opinion maaaaaaan' and I'd like some reading for my own edification.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Are you a vulnerable 16 to 18 year old mexican twink? No? well, you're not going to be this man's type. As an elected sheriff who played an integral role in John McCain's national presidential campaign, he'll have to deport you rather than rape you for years until you get too old.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

As a side note, does anyone have any good op-eds or articles about why religious freedom exemptions are a crock of poo poo

This is an important and good thing that I want to know - I do paperwork every day - why can't I claim that my paperwork, for certain people, is bad, unchristian and and disgustingly wrong?
As a person who fills out secular paperwork, why can't I sue the US gov't because Obama is bad and did bad benghazi thing? I have a religion and everything?!? LOWTAZX? Why are you bad and wrong?

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Your daily dose of schadenfreude:

So Rachel Maddow just revealed that Bryan Fischer has been fired from the American Family Association. Fischer has said a shitload of offensive things in the past, and not just about the LGBT community, so I want to know what the hell the final straw was.

For those of you unfamiliar with Fischer (you lucky, lucky bastards): http://www.glaad.org/cap/bryan-fischer

E: vvvvv I knew he was anti-Muslim, but I didn't know he was anti-Semitic as well :stare:

katium fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 29, 2015

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

katium posted:

So Rachel Maddow just revealed that Bryan Fischer has been fired from the American Family Association. Fischer has said a shitload of offensive things in the past, and not just about the LGBT community, so I want to know what the hell the final straw was.

For those of you unfamiliar with Fischer (you lucky, lucky bastards): http://www.glaad.org/cap/bryan-fischer

He recently said Jews don't have religious rights here, and he previously said they don't deserve any protections

The AFA is sponsoring a trip for Republican politicians to Israel, and Israel found out :lol:

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

He recently said Jews don't have religious rights here, and he previously said they don't deserve any protections

Bryan Fischer would have been a king-maker goldenboy in 10 years, if he would have kept his (anti-semitic) mouth shut.

Lol.

Sorry you were 'too' christian for america's christians. They don't talk about how they 'really' feel about the jews. See page 2 of any thread about Israel for confirmation of this fact.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

*Edit: goddamn it, double post*

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Do It Once Right posted:

*Edit: goddamn it, double post*

Amazing post/name combo.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

katium posted:

E: vvvvv I knew he was anti-Muslim, but I didn't know he was anti-Semitic as well :stare:

He is a effectively a slightly more palatable Westboro member, in that he proclaimed patriotism in order to hold onto his listeners. Dude was insane about everything, not just social issues. This is a man who once wanted to stone a whale to death.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Pretty much. I've always held it as a cardinal rule that outing gay people is just something you don't do and it seems really twisted to use it against someone just because you're the good guys. Road to hell is paved with good intentions and all that.

Outing gay people can put their lives in physical danger, which is just like when a straight bigot is found to be porking his secretary because

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Would.

As a side note, does anyone have any good op-eds or articles about why religious freedom exemptions are a crock of poo poo? I keep telling my rear end in a top hat brother this but he's all 'that's just your opinion maaaaaaan' and I'd like some reading for my own edification.

Race-mixing is against my religion so I shouldn't have to hire blacks.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Outing gay people can put their lives in physical danger, which is just like when a straight bigot is found to be porking his secretary because

Disclosing anyones personal details, because they are idiots and you don't agree with them is a weird way to try to win an argument.

* Firstly, it is tabloid-politics. Because of some percieved scandal, you don't have to engage with their politics or help muster opposition against them? He slept with not-his-wife, clearly he is unfit for office. That's the stuff that make people tired of politics and the press and less likely to want to hear your real argument for your cause.
* Secondly, while having an affair exposed may not threaten his life, it can have vast ramifications for those around him, that you cannot predict and want no hand in causing. Even if he may have it coming in your optics, his wife and childrens and friends lives could be sunk by having it dragged through the press. To say nothing of the secretary that you are using as leverage for your crusade.
* Thirdly, there is so much wrong with these peoples lines of reasoning that it is really not necessary to resort to underhanded tactics like "exposing them".
* Fourthly it's a weak-rear end argument. All they have to do to get out from under it, is to issue a not-apology, have a nice photo-op with the wife holding hands and say something contrite about how this crisis reaffirmed their understanding of the importance of their idea of family values (giving them a platform to talk about exactly the type of vile poo poo they want to say). You'll likely end up helping him spread the message in the end.

The way you deal with evil shits in office, is you convince enough people they are evil shits by reasoned argument and then hopefully get them voted out. You don't call the paparazzi! This is no different than a pro-LGBT politician losing political clout, because Fox News starts a rumour that they are secretly gay and porking the poolboy. Fucks sake, you don't accept these tactics when used against your cause, so don't use them yourself.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 30, 2015

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Wrong. Private sex lives (assuming adult consenting partners) aren't anyone's business. This holds true regardless of the orientation of who they are loving. I know there's this idea that somehow we can out somebody and make Ted Haggart II happen, but honestly that won't happen and also moves you away from the moral high ground. Besides, people in these kinds of positions tend to self-immolate anyway, so you don't need to give them a nudge over the edge.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

GhostBoy posted:

Fucks sake, you don't accept these tactics when used against your cause, so don't use them yourself.

Have you considered that it's because it's bad when our cause is hurt, and good when their cause is hurt.

I don't see a point in caring what tactics are used to beat them down as long as they end up beaten.

It's not like the other side is going to start playing fair any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Of course, the woman we're talking about has to go to work every day and be demonized for her private sex life, why shouldn't she try to stop it by challenging the people doing it to imagine what it would feel like to have it done to them?

All they have to do to avoid her apparently evil plot is...to stop doing the thing they don't want done to them.

• Locked thread