Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah try cleaning the contacts with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol for both the game and the system.

I had games where the battery started to leak and those still loaded fine. Both my copy of Banjo kazooie and Super Mario RPG had their batteries break off in the cart itself and they still loaded.

Assuming that another game works, yeah, Q-tip and rubbing alcohol.

If that's not good enough try, in order, using stronger rubbing alcohol, a mix of strong rubbing alcohol and Brasso, and lastly a pencil eraser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'll pick up a 3.8 security bit and some Brasso (have the other stuff) and give al these a shot. Shining a light inside the cartridge shows some residue of some sort on the contacts, so hopefully getting that off fixes my problem. Thanks guys

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I fondly recall Harvest Moon 64 as a game filled with spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation errors galore. That and they loving misspelled their own company's name on the title screen. :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Orange Mage posted:

That and they loving misspelled their own company's name on the title screen. :allears:

There's argument to be made about Natume still being a kind of technically correct romanization, but when they never used it before or since, and the logo on the previous screen says "NATSUME", well.. it's just sloppy.

Confirm the origin of fire!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Bah, my Dreamcast decided to stop reading my Utopia boot disc (which, obviously, I have on a CD-R). This thing worked perfectly fine when I used it to boot up my US copy of Illbleed a while back, but now the Dreamcast isn't co-operating and doesn't even try to read the disc any more. I tried burning another copy, but that one didn't work either.

I'm guessing my GD-ROM drive is about to kick the bucket, as it has already had some problems reading discs before. :saddowns: Oh well, I was meaning to grab a US Dreamcast at some point anyway.

edit: looks like an issue with the specific brand of CD-Rs I'm using (Maxell), as my old backup of Crazy Taxi boots up fine from a TDK brand disc. Now if any of the stores in my area actually stocked any other brands besides Maxell these days... :argh:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 31, 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: looks like an issue with the specific brand of CD-Rs I'm using (Maxell), as my old backup of Crazy Taxi boots up fine from a TDK brand disc. Now if any of the stores in my area actually stocked any other brands besides Maxell these days... :argh:

I use tons of Maxell discs with my DC and never have problems (both the Japan made gold ones and the regular silver/green dye ones, whichever they have at the pharmacy). My DC has stopped booting my legit copy of Virtua Tennis for some reason, though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah, I did some more testing and it seems like my DC just decided to stop reading burned discs altogether, except for that Crazy Taxi one for some reason.

I just wanted to get that bootdisc running so I could play my US copies of Hydro Thunder, Vigilante 8 2nd Offense, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 :negative:

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

The Orange Mage posted:

I fondly recall Harvest Moon 64 as a game filled with spelling, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation errors galore. That and they loving misspelled their own company's name on the title screen. :allears:

I just bought the game the other day and I was curious about that whole misspelling their name on the title screen thing. I turned it out and yep, they totally did. Classic.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Doc Morbid posted:

I just wanted to get that bootdisc running so I could play my US copies of Hydro Thunder, Vigilante 8 2nd Offense, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 :negative:

Wait, there's a Dreamcast version of Episode 1 racer? Well poo poo.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cubey posted:

Wait, there's a Dreamcast version of Episode 1 racer? Well poo poo.
There certainly is, I had no idea they made a DC version either until I saw it myself. The N64 version is more than a bit rough to look at and play nowadays, so I figured I'd give this one a shot since it was pretty cheap.

According to the box, it even has a feature allowing you to "Upload your HIGH SCORE Through the Sega Dreamcast(tm) Network!" :pcgaming:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I bought a Nintendo 64 and I'm not getting any video from it!

Power light comes on, but my tv says no signal. I've tried the composite cables that came with it, and the S-Video cables which I have working with my SNES. I popped it open and there isn't anything but a little bit of dust here and there.

I only have one cart to test it with, but I figure if it was the cart I'd just get a black screen or something. Any ideas?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dr. Dos posted:

Power light comes on, but my tv says no signal. I've tried the composite cables that came with it, and the S-Video cables which I have working with my SNES. I popped it open and there isn't anything but a little bit of dust here and there.

I only have one cart to test it with, but I figure if it was the cart I'd just get a black screen or something. Any ideas?

Is this on a CRT or a newer LCD screen (if the latter do other non-HD consoles work?) Do you get sound? I think most N64 games will have some sort of audio after not being on long even if you don't do anything. What game is it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Dos posted:

The most common cause is the expansion pack has wiggled loose. That little thing always causes problems, even if you don't have the extra memory in the slot. Pop the cover off, reseat it, and try again.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
It's LCD and hasn't had any problems with getting a picture from a NES and a SNES. Pokemon Snap is my cartridge. I get the same blue screen and No Signal text on the tv with the N64 on as I do with it off. Nothing different after reseating it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Reseat the expansion module as mentioned. You need to open a compartment in front of the system and use a spoon (yes, a spoon) to pry the thing out. If you do not have expansion module in that compartment that would be your issue.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I used the expansion slot cover itself to pry the jumper pak out when I was gifted an expansion pak last year.

One thing to be aware of, if you weren't already, is that N64 games actually take a bit of time to boot up and output a video signal (not sure if technically accurate) compared to the NES and SNES. Different TVs can also take a different amount of time to actually receive/display a signal from the No Signal state, so these two factors can combine to make the gap between startup and getting a picture be somewhat absurd for a cartridge system.

I'm still occasionally too hasty with this and think I need to clean/reseat the cart whenever I hook the N64 for the first time in a while.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 31, 2015

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Doc Morbid posted:

There certainly is, I had no idea they made a DC version either until I saw it myself. The N64 version is more than a bit rough to look at and play nowadays, so I figured I'd give this one a shot since it was pretty cheap.

According to the box, it even has a feature allowing you to "Upload your HIGH SCORE Through the Sega Dreamcast(tm) Network!" :pcgaming:

Internet... on a game console? :aaa:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Dr. Dos posted:

It's dirty. Clean the game with qtips and alcohol if you dont have a bit for opening it. Trust me. Your poo poo is dirty.
Most common cause of blackscreen on n64 when you get a power light.

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

A buddy of mine gave me a TG16 that was in pretty rough shape as a fixer upper. Does anyone have suggestions on cleaning a hu card slot?

It's uh in rough shape

:nms: http://i.imgur.com/IJnzXcw.jpg

Someone said it wouldn't be bad to go after it with a water pick, but I don't have one of those. Could I get with the spray attachment from my sink?

The problem is that some of the gunk will stay inside the metal shielding if you blast it with water. Use a toothpick or something and gently try to dislodge the stuff. You could give it a go but I wouldn't recommend it.
If you do put the PCB in the oven at 10 or 20 degree over room temperature (preferably with the fan on if it has one) to drive all the moisture out after you're done for a few hours. It's going to take longer time to get all the moisture out due to the metal shield.
If you do have a big soldering iron you could just remove the top part of the shield but your basic lovely rat shack iron probably doesn't have the capacity for that.

Codiekitty posted:

Yay, I replaced the batteries in Pokemon Blue, Gold, and Silver without destroying any of them, and only singed a finger once.

Anyone have any tips for getting the solder to actually stick to the contacts instead of balling up around the iron? For some reason, Blue was a bitch to resolder.

The main reason is probably a lack of flux (which will sort of remove the surface tension of the tin making it flow better), a lack of heat could be a reason as well. The batteries acts as large heat sinks so you need to apply heat fast before it dissipates to the rest of the battery. It is also generally a good idea to start off with cleaning the solder points up with alcohol.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

http://www.amazon.com/Marijuana-T-Shirt-Chronic-The-Hemp/dp/B0053D9NMA

It does my heart good to know that, even after 20+ years, "Chronic the Hemphog" is still a valid and relevant parody.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The fact that you have all of these handy irritates me massively.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So i picked up shining force on iOS because, hey shining force on my phone. drat there is no effort in this port. It's a turn based strategy so I thought it might have actual touch controls instead of a virtual controller thing. Lame.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That new "Monster Boy" game most resembles Dragon's Trap (Master System) / Dragon's Curse (TG16) and Monster World (Megadrive) / Dynastic Hero (TGCD). Of those, I'd recommend Dragon's Curse (proper saves, looks a little better) and Monster World (the TG16 changed all the music and a lot of characters sprites for no reason, the original is better).

So Monster World IV on the Mega Drive is really loving good. Thanks for recommending it!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Monster World IV is indeed really loving good. A port is available on PSN with a proper translation, achievements, and even speed-run challenges. Definitively worth your money/time.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Looks like the thrift stores by my parents house finally cottoned on to Ebay pricing. The local Savers at least uses only half the lowest price, but the Goodwill is pricing things exactly at it. This sucks. I found Super Mario Advance and Zelda a Link to the Past for the Gameboy Advance, and Oracle of Seasons there for a buck each not too long ago. :(

On the bright side, I'm finally hauling away the last of the Nintendo stuff I left at my parents house years ago. It's way more than I even thought. I'll post haul pics when I get back home.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Sure enough, some compressed air to the cartridge and ram port got my N64 functioning just fine! Now I can become a master of Pokemon photography.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Does anyone know if there's a MWIV repro that uses the official translated ROM from the Wii? I would like to own that

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Dr. Dos posted:

Sure enough, some compressed air to the cartridge and ram port got my N64 functioning just fine! Now I can become a master of Pokemon photography.

You're going to need to buy a Blockbuster Pokémon Snap Kiosk for that. :colbert:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

X68000 Update

So, I finally got my hands on a Win98 machine. After two afternoons of tinkering I'm finally to the point where if I try to write an x68000 floppy I have about a 25% chance of success. I was able to get one very important floppy written:

This Master Disk contains special drivers that allows the SASI port on my X68000 to use SCSI devices. With this I can run games off a compact flash card... once I get a keyboard... and make a special custom SCSI cable by hand... and get a special CF adapter.

Hey folks, think owning a Sharp X68000 would be cool? Well, it kind of isn't. This thing is easily the biggest pain-in-the-rear end retro project I've ever undertaken. Maybe I'll change my tune once I have this thing specced out the way I want; who knows. But right now if I had this to do over again I don't think I would.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

The Game Boy Micro I ordered arrived today. First time owning one, but I'm already digging it. Kinda neat how the Start and Select buttons glow when it's charging.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Hey folks, think owning a Sharp X68000 would be cool? Well, it kind of isn't. This thing is easily the biggest pain-in-the-rear end retro project I've ever undertaken. Maybe I'll change my tune once I have this thing specced out the way I want; who knows. But right now if I had this to do over again I don't think I would.

If I had to put my x68k setup together piece by piece I would probably not have gotten into it. I guarantee it will be worth it once you get some games running though :unsmith:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hey, remember that jacked up Master System board I posted? Cleaned up the edges a bit more with Brasso and replaced the capacitors. It works now!

I'll be doing a bit more work to clean it up, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hell yes! Now mod it for FM sound and get an RGB SCART cable :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

McCracAttack posted:

X68000 Update

So, I finally got my hands on a Win98 machine. After two afternoons of tinkering I'm finally to the point where if I try to write an x68000 floppy I have about a 25% chance of success. I was able to get one very important floppy written:

This Master Disk contains special drivers that allows the SASI port on my X68000 to use SCSI devices. With this I can run games off a compact flash card... once I get a keyboard... and make a special custom SCSI cable by hand... and get a special CF adapter.

Have you thought about getting a SCSI CD-ROM and using that as a transfer mechanism, via burning CD-Rs on your main machine and writing floppies on the X68000 directly? Along these lines, perhaps?

• Locked thread