Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Section Z posted:

When I said Asakim's plans would involve making sure Setsuko couldn't enjoy ice cream, I was JOKING :doh:

Stop taking your plans from care bears villains, it's embarrassing.

I'm pretty sure that's her doing it to herself. Remember how Rand was getting worried about what could happen if she kept using her powers and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Catching up on some of the latest updates and it's pretty silly that Setsuko only gets one chapter of being happy and moving past her despair before doubling down on the sorrow again. And that Rand only gets one chapter of being upset before he goes back to the hot-blooded rage.

It makes the development that occurred in the chapters before the upgrades seem kind of pointless.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Catching up on some of the latest updates and it's pretty silly that Setsuko only gets one chapter of being happy and moving past her despair before doubling down on the sorrow again. And that Rand only gets one chapter of being upset before he goes back to the hot-blooded rage.

It makes the development that occurred in the chapters before the upgrades seem kind of pointless.

That was the point, though. Asakim needed her to feel onemore ping of hope and happiness just so he could take it away and push her over the edge.

Her growth over the past chapters was accounted for and, in the end, was just completely undone by her trauma.

Section Z posted:

When I said Asakim's plans would involve making sure Setsuko couldn't enjoy ice cream, I was JOKING :doh:

Stop taking your plans from care bears villains, it's embarrassing.

: Does this annoy you? Does it make you...despair?

By the way, you'll find Setsuko doesn't need Asakim to get bad things to happen to and around her.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 31, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

That was the point, though. Asakim needed her to feel onemore ping of hope and happiness just so he could take it away and push her over the edge.

Her growth over the past chapters was accounted for and, in the end, was just completely undone by her trauma.

I know, I just find it lame. I liked how through the power of friendship Setsuko moved past some of her sorrow and looked to be growing as a character. Same with Rand, how something managed to break through his positivity and hot-blood and seemingly affect him deeply. But then in the next chapters all these developments do is be used as a stepping stone for them to double-down on their existing character traits, which I find a little disappointing.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know, I just find it lame. I liked how through the power of friendship Setsuko moved past some of her sorrow and looked to be growing as a character. Same with Rand, how something managed to break through his positivity and hot-blood and seemingly affect him deeply. But then in the next chapters all these developments do is be used as a stepping stone for them to double-down on their existing character traits, which I find a little disappointing.

OK, I'll give you Setsuko but I would've found it more jarring if Rand actually remained broken shell of a man.

Rand and Mel are both strong enough to withstand that kind of trauma - the point of Asakim's gambit was just to break their bond in a bid to make Rand succumb to the pain (we saw on previous chapters how Rand was too tough to yield to regular, physical pain).

Mel herself is shown to be fine regarding being dead, so the main issue is for Rand to earn her forgiveness for his mistakes. By committing to fix what he broke (while embracing his more violent side to do so, too), he earned just that and, with their bond reforged, he himself became emotionally stronger.

vvv Edit: Fair enough. I suppose it could've been paced a bit slower.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 31, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wouldn't want Rand to stay that way either, as he'd probably become much less entertaining. It's just that it only lasts like the epilogue of a single chapter, it just seems to happen too fast. Same with Setsuko, i'd be more fine with Setsuko's hope getting broken again as part of Asakim's plan but she only has hope again for half a chapter. I just think both could have used another chapter between them because as it is I feel like the changes are too brief and seem almost pointless in the grand scheme of things because it just ends up strengthening their pre-existing character traits..

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Brunom1 posted:

By the way, you'll find Setsuko doesn't need Asakim to get bad things to happen to and around her.

I don't think that was ever in question given she comes from the zeta gundam universe. Good things happening is a rare exception.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Whelp, while we're on the subject, Setsuko losing her sense of taste is just plain dumb: tragedy (her power in a nut-shell) very much requires pathos for it to work, and that fails if a character is suffering the good ol' Trauma Conga Line. See, the audience HAS to believe that there is a chance things will work out in the end: people NEED that ray of hope that might keep the characters from breaking, because they to have a very real reason to believe that the protaginists will succeed and that things will work out (relatively) ok for them in the end. When bad things happen nonstop? It doesn't work: the audience will fall into a state of nihilism, and they'll feel that the characters are stupid for not doing the same.

To give an example: losing Setsuko's sense of taste *just* after gaining her power that doesn't actually *help* her do anything is just plain dumb. Instead, she really should have been made to sacrifice a sense in order to save some of her comrades: effectively exchanging a 'self-centered' happiness to preserve an altruistic one, which would also set up the others as desperate to stop her from having to perform such a sacrifice again, leading to the kind of heroics someone actually expects in the mecha genre.

Compared to Rand, who's actually working to earn his and other's happiness, Setsuko has a lot less agency in her actions, which is slowly edging her into Evangelion territory. Small wonder people prefer the Rand route...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

: Does this annoy you? Does it make you...despair?

Damnit, he's really good at this :argh:

I am also not surprised in the slightest by that second thing. I'm Imagining Asakim being busy with something and deciding to finally get around to making Setsuko sad only to find she has already had to mercy kill Santa Clause in front of a bunch of orphans or something.

Maybe the real tragedy is that Setsuko is just incredibly bad at everything outside of shooting and stabbing people with robots?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 2, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Section Z posted:

Damnit, he's really good at this :argh:

I am also not surprised in the slightest by that second thing. I'm Imagining Asakim being busy with something and deciding to finally get around to making Setsuko sad only to find she has already had to mercy kill Santa Clause in front of a bunch of orphans or something.

Maybe the real tragedy is that Setsuko is just incredibly bad at everything outside of shooting and stabbing people with robots?

Well I mean look at how she started, attached to the Titans during Zeta Gundam. If this had never happened her fate was likely to be killed in battle. She comes from the universe of emotioanlly stunted human beings who are hit by tragedy after tragedy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
20-year head start. Somehow that strikes me as a rather optimistic timeframe in regards to the end of the world.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chapter 33: When the Stars Shine

Back outside, we’ve taken all of the town’s refugees into the King Beal, though we've had to put some in the holds of the Beal II and III.
Either way, the aliens quickly arrive and it's a bunch of Zeravire - more than we've seen, and with some new faces in their ranks. Looks like they mean business this time and, from what Löwen’s heard, this situation has been happening in many different regions of the world.
Kappei isn’t impressed and asks Hamamoto to watch as the amazing Kappei tears these creeps a new one!

Our rescuees are all cheering for Zambot 3, even the ones that blamed the Jins the hardest.
Setsuko takes it as a good sign since it means more and more people are starting to understand what our fight’s all about , and everyone flies out with a renewed sense of duty - especially Zambot 3!

We're ready to go! The objective is to beat every single enemy. The Battle Mastery is to win the stage without the King Beal getting attacked. It's rooted to the splot, and while it can snipe things if something attacks it we lose the mastery.

Boss is moved to the ground because he has a B Rank in Air and he casts Spirit.

Luckily most of the enemies are solo, to make up for our lessened unit count.

Not bad. Sticking a Barrier on the Venus A to share with Boss was a good idea.

The tricky part of this stage is spreading out enough so that I can stop the various enemies before they get close to the King Beal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzcjgJV5R3Q

Löwen begins fulfiling his destiny as Setsuko's personal Accel Bot.

You know, this wasn't super apparant at first but God Sigma's has a real lack of a good post move attack for early stage use. It takes a while for Toshiya's Will to get high enough to use his good attacks. I've used God Tomohawk more then any other of its moves.

Gravion has the same problem. Plus the ranges for his post move attacks are wonky.

Hooray, they all stay away from the King Beal, finding Setsuko and others more interesting to attack.

Boss in particular is a popular target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJiM1aKt7hE

Another whack and Mazin Power starts up.

That one is going to be trouble. It ignored all my mechs and is dangerously close to the battleship.

So let's start taking it down.

Boss can probably finish this one off.

Annd it's dead!

Jun and Setsuko bring this one down to single digit HP.

Ordinarily I'd just go for the counter kill, but I don't want to risk losing the Battle Mastery.

Sayaka learns Invincible(15) from it.

As the battle rages on, Ichitaro tags new enemies incoming and, this time, it’s a combined Gaizock and Vega group!
Maria wonders if they've come to help out the Zeravire as fellow aliens but Jun remembers the Zeravire have never shown any interest in cooperating with others; Tetsuya figures they’re just taking advantage of the confusion to have a go at us and, either way, Kappei is eager to take them all on.

Reinforcements! Some dangerously close to the King Beal too.

At least that's one less current enemy to deal with.

Enemy phase comes with the Zeravire thinking Jun is a great target.

And great, the reinforcements are in squads.

Hah! They're doing literally no damage.

Player phase comes.

: Go ZEUTH! Kick some butt!
: Aww, music to my ears. We got our own cheer squad for this one!
: Then let's not keep them in suspense!
: Go, go! Beat up the ba—

*click*

: !

: What was that?!
: Status report, Ichitaro!
: Uh.... explosion in Beal III cargo bay 2, where the evacuees are!
: Did it get hit?!
: No! No external damage! And that bay was supposed to be empty!
: Then...
: Grandpa, the Gaizock fortress is here!

: OHOHOHO! Kaboom! I'm glad I made it down to the surface!
: Killer the Butcher!
: So the Gaizock boss makes a special visit!
: But aren't my human bombs a delight?
: Hail, Butcher. The first wave of timers in the humans dropped here have just collapsed.
: H-human bombs?
: So those amnesiacs had explosives implanted in them by the Gaizock!
: And that’s the reason for the mysterious explosions in this region?!
: Precisely. Did you enjoy your gift?
: Gift? Are you kidding me?!
: Does he see living people only as toys?
: B-bomb? Are we...
: What do we do, Grampa? Half of those people are in the Beal II!
: And we can't tell when they'll explode...
: Keep fighting! Focus on the Gaizock carrier!
: But...
: Don't hesitate!
: We can't drop them off now! They'll be sitting ducks! Use the King Beal to shield them!
: Okay, Gramps! We'll take out the Gaizock's boss right here!
: Turning people... into weaponry...
: That's... gh...

: All units, the King Beal could explode at any time!
: Sink that ship ASAP!
: Rie, we're going to try to extract those bombs! Make the preparations!
: But Professor...
: Stay focused! Those people are far more terrified than we are!
: Right!
: How rotten can you get, Gaizock!
: You are below the lowest of the low!

: Here we come, Butcher! Brace yourself!
: Oh, goodness, the howls of monkeys are so vexing.
: I'm bored with you people. May as well crush you all with the Bandock now!

That's.... that's something. All right. OK. Good. Now then, there's now a time limit on the stage. For uncomfortable reasons. However, the game doesn't tell you it. So for now we need to rush and beat the Bandock and punch Butcher's face in.

These things are close enough for the Ion Cannon to hit.

The UFOs survived, sadly.

Jun having 10 SP Vigor is handy.

She then sucessfully takes out another enemy.

This gives her another level of Prevail!

The Chaos Leo has a post move ALL attack, and these Zeravire are in squads, so it takes the lead for a turn.

Around a 4th of its HP isn't bad.

It's a bit tricky. Advancing while still being killing the ones behind me.

And it's gone.

Time to take out those UFOs

Not quite as impressive as Shin Mazinger's version no.

And Toga nearly oneshots it!

The Zeravire move up, lining up to hit Löwen.

They get smacked resonably hard for their troubles.

The Gaizock stay still for this turn.

And, then, um... a problem comes up. Namely that I either lost it or forgot to record the next turn. Ooops. Fortnuately the last turn wasn't super eventful! I don't think anybody even moved. Everybody stayed in place, shooting their ALLs when possible. Got some counterkills, and the Gaizock moved up.

Anyways this turn things happen. First, Setsuko casts Zeal. It's time to show what it can do.

Look at this mini-boss. Say bye to it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiUtNf4wPZ4

I move Boss out of the way...

Then blast a High Straight Turret down at a line up of Gaizock.

That clears out a nice chunk of the remaining.

More sniping from the old people.

Time to actually move some people!

That's another new enemy squad leader down.

And Toshiya wipes out its squad mates.

Enemy phase comes and most of the remaining mooks beat themselves against a brick wall.

Tetsuya manages to hit Prevail Level 7 from it!

Player phase comes and this is what's left. The hard part is going to be boxing in Butcher and beating him.

First I have Toshiya, who has not moved for several turns, clear out the last Zeravire.

Time to start sealing him off.

Not any energy to use any bigger attacks

Now it's Toga's turn.

: Sandman gave us Gravion so we could be the fangs of the fangless...
: And you're turning completely innocent people into weapons!
: And? You've got billions of humans. Surely there's enough to spare for me.
: You think that's the problem?
: Gaizock... that's what sets you apart from us.
: We can't let him go...!
: Get him, Touga! Don't let him beat up Gravion!
: Gaizock! The Gran Knights are a sword that stands in defense of the people, and you must face its judgment!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpY35nP9s_8
"Gaizock...I cannot allow your existence!"

"Lord Butcher! The Gravion's incoming!"
"This day will be your last!"

With Accel Setsuko catches up quickly enough. Boss gets closer too.

Your turn Kappei!

Surpringly enough Kappei doesn't have any dialogue against Butcher this stage.

The sum total of the actions taken the enemy phase is Butcher moves 3 squares. :v:

Toshiya spent like, the entire stage tossing God Strings everywhere. So I refill his energy.

Doesn't get to attack this turn though.

Boss gets in some chip damage. Can't afford to do much else with it EN wise this turn.

Go for it Kouji! :black101: Show him the power of Boss Borot!

: So you're responsible for the mysterious explosions all over!
: OHOHOHO! A gift from me to you. I do hope you like it.
: Can it! I've got no patience for monsters like you who treat lives like toys!
: Get ready for a good long think about what you've done in Hell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ois6bvEGjTg

Meanwhile Setsuko ties up a loose end. She oneshots both squaddies.

And Butcher is now completely boxed in.

Since he can't move, on the enemy phase he targets Setsuko.

: ...
: Well, what is it? Are you paralyzed in fear of the might of the Bandock?
: ...my sorrow is turning my heart to ice. But if that will give me power...
: Then I won't hesitate! I'll destroy you with the Virgola!

It's time to take this guy down, so Analyze!

The King Beal uses the last of its energy. It's safely out of the Bandock's range.

Thanks to SP Regen, Setsuko has just enough SP to cast Zeal again!

This lets me move her closer to better take advantage of Support Attack.

Not a ton of damage, but it helps

Snipe is actually pretty handy on Toshiya! Bringing his finisher up 2 range is pretty useful.

: So, the Gaizock were kidnapping people to turn them into bombs all along?
: Exactamundo! Way more bang for your buck than throwing all those Mechaboosts!
: Bang for your buck?! You can't put a price tag on human lives!
: You won't get away with that! This is our anger and the regret of all the dead!
: I thought there'd be more like Teral among you aliens...
: But you're just the lowest of the low, and I'll put a stop to you!

And he's almost down, hooray.

I decide to give Toga the kill.

Though the game doesn't show subpilot level ups, this is the level in which Eiji learns Valor(35). Meanwhile Brunom is on the Super Robot Route and has yet to get one character with it. :smug:

Oh and Kouji gets another level of Prevail.

:toot:

: Take that, Butcher! We win!!
: OHOHOHO! Bravo! Bravo! Buuuuut…we weren’t playing for keeps just yet!

: What?!
: They can still fight?!
: So, how about we cut that ship of theirs down to size. Give me ramming speeeeeeeeeed!
: By your will, Butcher!
: There’s no way in hell you’re getting the Beal!!

: AAAARGH!!
: Kappei! Uchuuta, Keiko!
: That’s insane! Pull back, Zambot!
: Never!!
: Kappei…you’re—
: I promised Hamamoto that I’d protect them! So I’m not running!
: Kappei…
: Uchuuta, Keiko! We’re gonna bust that fatass wide open with a Moon Attack!
: I-it’s too big! Even the Moon Attack won’t—
: We’re still going! I…WE can’t lose this one!
: Kappei! Grab the King Beal’s Ion Cannon!
: Huh?!
: Hook the Ion Cannon to the Zambot and pour energy into it!
: Right on!

: What’re they up to?!
: Gaizock! Get a load of all of our anger!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP_OnVxQ52M
The Ion Cannon is a Combination Attack between the King Beal and Zambot 3. It can only be initiated by Zambot, it's a fairly powerful long range ALL attack, but it's not post movement so it's a bit impraticial for anything but Boss smashing.

Butcher’s Bandock can’t keep going after that and, in anger, he tells his cronies to blow all the remaining human bombs; they can’t do that, though, as the things only work via timers (Butcher thought that’d be more fun).
Without a choice, they’re forced to cut their losses and retreat – “There are still plenty of human bombs around, though. This lil’ game of mine will continue.” Butcher says.

Victory may be ours but it tastes quite bitter; Löwen and Setsuko are appalled that such a crime was commited, war or not and, to make things worse, Kazami tells Kappei that the bombs can't be safely removed.
The Zambot kids are not taking this well…

Back in town, Hamamoto is going with the rest of the doomed to somewhere remote where they won't hurt anyone else. Kappei apologizes, but Hamamoto apologizes right back - he, and Kozuki, knew somewhere inside that the Jins weren't to blame, even as they said and did all those cruel things. And he apologizes to Toshiya, too.

Toshiya Dan - a relative of Taiichiro Dan, right? Hamamoto reveals that Toshiya's dad is a captive of the Gaizock through the Eldar, and so is a lady named Jane.
Julie doesn't reveal to the others that Jane is his sister, but he is disturbed - Jane should be on Earth, with their mother. Can it just be someone with the same name?
Hamamoto adds that Aki, Michi Kouzuki and many others are still captive and begs Kappei and Toshiya to save them all, at least – before they end up like him.
They both promise to do everything they can and Hamamoto moves to leave before the bomb goes; Kappei’s about to stop him and Hamamoto, laughing bitterly, asks to at least let him act all cool in his last moments.

: …
: We…we can't give them anything other than mere words…
: Gch…GODDAMN IT! Can’t we do anything but watch?!
: There’s…nothing. Even after we fought so hard…
: We’re...powerless...
: Th-there must be something, right?! Prof. Kazami, if they had some more time, maybe—
: The bombs are wired to their vital signs. So long as they remain alive, the countdown will continue…
: And a star-shaped scar is left on all humans that underwent the bomb implantation process...
: A star-shaped scar...a permanent mark of death…
: Aah...aahh...
: Forgive me…please...
: Gch…aaaahh…drat it…drat it…! drat IT!!
: I’m sorry… I’m so sorry…! Aah…AAAAAH…!

: Mom? Wh... where are we going?
: Somewhere far, far away, where nobody else is.
: Huh?
: But... I'll always be with you... so there's nothing to be afraid of...
: Okay...
: W-well... my mom and pop already went in the war, so... I'm just going to join them...
: I... I can't... I don't want to die without my mom and my pop...
: I... I don't want to die alone!!
: Stop! You can't go back! None of us can...
: No! I'm scared! I'm so scared, mom! Pop!
: I can't take it! Someone, anyone, help me!! Mom!! Pop!!
: I haven't done anything! I've barely even lived! I can't die! I can't die! I—

*click.*

: HAMAMOTOOOOOOOOO!

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Well... that sure was something.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Oh 80s Tomino, you so crazy!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Zambot 3 everybody! I hope you didn't think anyone was going to be happy on Setsuko's route. Ahahahahahahahaha AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh god that's loving super depressing...

Dr. Psychobabble
Jun 14, 2009
I knew about the human bombs before I watched Zambot 3.
And when they're first introduced I simply thought "That's it?". Sure, it was a terrifying concept, but it stayed mostly in the background during the first episode that dealt with them. But then the concept carries over the next few episodes and when this scene hits I finally understood why the Human Bombs is the thing Zambot 3 was most notable for. The kid crying for his parents while waiting for an uncertainly soon and inevitable end.

And the best part is that Kill 'em All Tomino isn't done yet.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
In the race to be the most hated antagonist in the game jam packed full of utter douches and amoral fuckwits, The Butcher proves that often times the most simple methods are the most effective.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

TheLastRoboKy posted:

In the race to be the most hated antagonist in the game jam packed full of utter douches and amoral fuckwits, The Butcher proves that often times the most simple methods are the most effective.

In that race, while everyone else is at the starting line, Butcher beats the referee to death, steals the starting pistol and starts firing wildly into the crowd.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

LeadSled posted:

Oh 80s Tomino, you so crazy!

And to think, this is the same guy who did Trider G7 and Daitarn 3. Dude is bipolar as gently caress.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 5, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Alacron posted:

In that race, while everyone else is at the starting line, Butcher beats the referee to death, steals the starting pistol and starts firing wildly into the crowd.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

And to think, this is the same guy who did Trider G7 and Daitarn 3. Dude is bipolar as gently caress.

Tomino's actually pretty famous for following really depressing shows with really cheerful shows. Which caused a lot of disconnect with people watching Gundam because after he finished Zeta he moved directly into ZZ, which was cheerful and upbeat and silly and it's like "Wait what happened" for most people. But if you follow his work he followed Zambot 3 with Daitarn 3. Ideon was followed by Xabungle. Dunbine was followed by L-Gaim.

The only double-whammy notable is Daitarn was followed by Mobile Suit Gundam... followed by Ideon.

So to me, ZZ following Z was just the usual pattern.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
And this is just going to keep going.
Hey Pepper, could you do subtitles for Boss's GS Rocket Punch video?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

drat, that's gotta be one of the most depressing missions I've ever played through in SRW (tied with the bad Ideon finale in Alpha 3).

Earlier in the LP, I always assumed this kid's death wouldn't bother me because of how much of an rear end in a top hat he was but I was way off... :qq:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kouji using the Borot's attacks with absolute seriousness is great. Also I've played this game multiple times and I had no idea about the Ion Cannon combo attack. Wow.

About Butcher...yikes. There's something to be said about that kind of evil. The player can very easily see why even the other villains, with few if any redeeming qualities, see THIS guy as a monster.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Blaze Dragon posted:

About Butcher...yikes. There's something to be said about that kind of evil. The player can very easily see why even the other villains, with few if any redeeming qualities, see THIS guy as a monster.

His actual name is Killer the Butcher. That is easily the most evil and alarming name in all of Z, crushing Z3's Space Satan (who is literally a black hole).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:stare:

Tomino's hatred of children: strong!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
That scene was aberrant the first time and will always be. Seriously, the mere concept disgusted me.
While all the enemies in the giant robot show (there was no distinction) appeared as cruel mosters with only one or two sympatethic characters, maybe, Butcher was really an abomination. What is really surprising is that Tomino himself than changed the rules creating Gundam.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wounded Land posted:

And this is just going to keep going.
Hey Pepper, could you do subtitles for Boss's GS Rocket Punch video?

If Caphi or Brunom feel like translating what's said I'll put some in.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

If Caphi or Brunom feel like translating what's said I'll put some in.

Eh, there really isn''t much going on there. Just a bunch of generic stuff.

Getting hit:

Mucha: Hee, hee! That attack won't take us out!
Boss: Yo, Mucha! Don'tcha go stealing my lines!

Attacking:

Boss: Bah! Screwing around with me, are you? Here I go!

URYAURYAAAAAAA! :black101:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Brunom1 posted:

Eh, there really isn''t much going on there. Just a bunch of generic stuff.

Getting hit:

Mucha: Hee, hee! That attack won't take us out!
Boss: Yo, Mucha! Don'tcha go stealing my lines!

Attacking:

Boss: Bah! Screwing around with me, are you? Here I go!

URYAURYAAAAAAA! :black101:

That's some bloody Shakespeare, that is.

And I went from :stonk: to :stonklol: throughout this update. I love me some crazy-but-entertaining villains, but this isn't even an interesting way to kill people; it's just down right awful: no irony, no chance at surviving, just...bombs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Don't forget the Holocaust symbolism.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't forget the Holocaust symbolism.

Don't forget? I didn't even notice! I thought it was supposed to be an upside-down pentagram, to show that Butcher is literally Satan, but the Star of David makes way more sense given that the writer is Japanese.

Either way, this whole...thing is pretty drat close to plain bad-taste.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This whole bit hits way harder than it really should considering how kind of ridiculous it is. It's built like a massively triumphant moment for Kappei and Zambot, he's beginning to reconcile with Hamamoto, the people who hated him have come around, people are cheering, then BAM, exploding girl. That final scene with Hamamoto and the other people really brings it home at just how loving awful it all is and how much of a motherfucker Butcher is.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alacron posted:

This whole bit hits way harder than it really should considering how kind of ridiculous it is. It's built like a massively triumphant moment for Kappei and Zambot, he's beginning to reconcile with Hamamoto, the people who hated him have come around, people are cheering, then BAM, exploding girl. That final scene with Hamamoto and the other people really brings it home at just how loving awful it all is and how much of a motherfucker Butcher is.

My mind goes to some pretty twisted places sometimes after the initial shock wears off.

Still, there's no doubt in my mind this is something Butcher would do.

:

Have you heard the news? Everyone's talking
Life is good 'cause everything's awesome
Had an idea, it's a new opportunity
More fun ways to destroy a community

I feel more awesome than an awesome possum
Injected humans with a load of bombs
Kids, dads and even moms!
Smellin' like death and there's that last breath
Bombs go off, now bring the booze
It's awesome to win, and it's great when they lose

OHOHOHO! Everything is awesoooooooome!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Alacron posted:

The whole idea of a bunch of people going "Welp, we're hosed...I guess all we can do is try not to explode on everyone," and then doing that, and then spending their last minutes going "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" and waiting to die... yeeesh.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 6, 2015

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
...Well.

That was a Thing.

ON THAT NOTE, I wouldn't call Setsuko's and Rand's routes the real and super ones, if anything it seems to me Setsuko has more of the super robots on board. Here we've got Zambot, Gravion, Mazinger, Godsigma, and Baldios, while Rand's only really got Aquarion and Getter. Rather it's more like...Rand has a lot of unusual entries that don't fall easily into that dichtonomy and play in a lot of somewhat different ways (and may well be very responsible for that becoming the trend in the DS games), while Setsuko's is basically a traditional SRW going horribly wrong.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Butcher is wonderful because he's a big blue manchild. He goofs around, he's self-absorbed and doesn't take anything seriously, and he gets huffy when people demand he does. Instead of being all "Mwaahahahahahaaa! My evil Human Bomb plan is working perfectly!" or something like that, he's pretty much just "Hey guys, check this out. Human bombs! Pretty cool, huh? :haw:"

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

...Well.

That was a Thing.

ON THAT NOTE, I wouldn't call Setsuko's and Rand's routes the real and super ones, if anything it seems to me Setsuko has more of the super robots on board. Here we've got Zambot, Gravion, Mazinger, Godsigma, and Baldios, while Rand's only really got Aquarion and Getter. Rather it's more like...Rand has a lot of unusual entries that don't fall easily into that dichtonomy and play in a lot of somewhat different ways (and may well be very responsible for that becoming the trend in the DS games), while Setsuko's is basically a traditional SRW going horribly wrong.

Baldios is with Rand - the Blue Fixer folks didn't want to get bogged down by THE MAN in their fight against the aliens.

So, both groups have pretty much equal amounts of Super series.

Of course, that might be changing very soon...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gyra_Solune posted:

Really I'd say that Rand and Setsuko's routes are more divided based off tone.

Rand's side tends to have the more lighthearted shows. Xabungle, King Gainer, Aquarion and so on.

Setsuko's side has the darker shows, Zeta Gundam, Seed Destiny, Zambot 3..

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Tomino's mental health issues are very much reflected in his work up until Garzey's Wing, where he finally got over most of his depression/mood slumps. Zambot is one of the big examples of just how down he got from a mental health standpoint (the other two big ones being Ideon and Victory Gundam), and by God, does Butcher just take the cake in terms of being the lowest of the low when it comes to villainy. I'm honestly amazed there isn't a special bad ending in this game that is based around Zambot 3's canonical ending (there is one for a different featured show, though).

Remember folks, it is Zambot 3, not Space Runaway Ideon, that gave Tomino his legendary "Kill 'Em All" nickname. Ideon merely cemented it.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Butcher is wonderful because he's a big blue manchild. He goofs around, he's self-absorbed and doesn't take anything seriously, and he gets huffy when people demand he does. Instead of being all "Mwaahahahahahaaa! My evil Human Bomb plan is working perfectly!" or something like that, he's pretty much just "Hey guys, check this out. Human bombs! Pretty cool, huh? :haw:"

He's a brilliant contrast to all the other self-righteous and pretend-noble alien villains he's hanging around with in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr Pepper posted:

Really I'd say that Rand and Setsuko's routes are more divided based off tone.

Rand's side tends to have the more lighthearted shows. Xabungle, King Gainer, Aquarion and so on.

Setsuko's side has the darker shows, Zeta Gundam, Seed Destiny, Zambot 3..

It's as easy as seeing which Gundam is in their own world (or the world they start in, in Rand's case). Setsuko is from the UC Gundam world, which is specifically experiencing the Zeta Gundam events once the game begins. Zeta is a depressing series in which nothing ever goes right and people die left and right. Rand starts on the same world as Gundam X, where poo poo went to hell in the past, yet it is currently extremely optimistic and with a serious hope of progress and a shining future despite the odds.

The divide between lighter series/story for Rand and darker series/story for Setsuko is plainly clear from their very first stages by simply comparing Gundams, which is a really good way of showing how things will go in my opinion.

• Locked thread