Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's more or less unplayable with a joystick so use a game pad.

But yeah, no technical issues. There's a bug where the camera goes off a mile behind you when you brake then accelerate (fixed by cycling the camera, or just staying in cockpit view at all times), but that's it. It runs flawlessly otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

BiggerJ posted:

Every single continuity error in Myst can be explained by the fact that, officially, every single game and book in the series is metafiction from the universe in which they take place. For example, the novels place D'ni's entrance somewhere in the Middle East or something, but in the game's it's on the Zandi property in North America. The in-universe explanation is obvious - they wanted to keep the location secret.
Going off on a bit of tangeant here, I hated the fact that Myst had seemingly such a well constructed universe and the creators seem to have put a lot of effort to provide depth for the characters and the D'ni civilization (mainly in Riven and in the three books), and then they squandered it all with retcons and "artistic license" excuses (and kind of crappy or subpar sequels; it's the chicken and the egg).

And then they come up with the RealMyst Masterpiece Edition last year, where they basically remake (in some cases, while taking away a few stuff) RealMyst, with no additions whatsoever to improve or fix on what they for years have claimed was design forced by technology limitations. Oh wait, no, they added a flashlight(!) rendering stupid one of the main puzzles in Stoneship Age.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

AbstractNapper posted:

And then they come up with the RealMyst Masterpiece Edition last year, where they basically remake (in some cases, while taking away a few stuff) RealMyst, with no additions whatsoever to improve or fix on what they for years have claimed was design forced by technology limitations. Oh wait, no, they added a flashlight(!) rendering stupid one of the main puzzles in Stoneship Age.

So they added a flashlight (which sounds like it's only useful for one point in the game), but they couldn't remove the maze from the Selenitic Age, which was tedious even if you knew which way to go, and near impossible if you didn't first play through the Mechanical Age and figure out the sound/direction correlation.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Rogue Squadron

Gamepad support initially didn't work for me but disabling compatibility mode fixed it. I haven't encountered any problems at all since then.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

AbstractNapper posted:

Max Wilco posted:

So they added a flashlight (which sounds like it's only useful for one point in the game), but they couldn't remove the maze from the Selenitic Age, which was tedious even if you knew which way to go, and near impossible if you didn't first play through the Mechanical Age and figure out the sound/direction correlation.

While I'm not sure how big the team was that worked on rMM was, I didn't think Cyan was really in a position to start radically changing what they had. I was under the impression they were down to pretty much a skeleton crew at this point, and are only ramping back up for Obduction. And honestly, going back and fixing 20 year old game design...at that point they're basically making a new game anyway, for all the changes they'd have to make to "fix" Myst.

What was removed from realMyst Masterpiece?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 2, 2015

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

moot the hopple posted:

If we don't get Yoda Stories out of this then what was the point of it all??

Word. Yoda Stories was a very fun, very dumb, game.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

John Murdoch posted:

While I'm not sure how big the team was that worked on rMM was, I didn't think Cyan was really in a position to start radically changing what they had. I was under the impression they were down to pretty much a skeleton crew at this point, and are only ramping back up for Obduction. And honestly, going back and fixing 20 year old game design...at that point they're basically making a new game anyway, for all the changes they'd have to make to "fix" Myst.
You are of course correct. Cyan would not put much effort on the rM:Masterpiece, but it seems to me that since that excuse of "we couldn't do that back then because limitations and because artistic license and now it is retconned so go with it" they had numerous releases of the exact same game, and the chose day to night transitions every 5 or so minutes. I mean come on...

John Murdoch posted:

What was removed from realMyst Masterpiece?
If I recall correctly a few users reported that some Ages (excluding the bonus one) no longer had day/night cycles as they did in the original rM. And Stoneship seemed to be always in night time. I don't own the game myself and I can't verify this, other than this seemed to be the case from a few gameplay videos I watched (I was considering of buying it). The game did get a few updates though, and the latest 2.0 was released only a few days ago.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Some of my first gaming related memories are of, as a small child, watching my dad play Myst on our old Macintosh. And I am pretty sure he literally /mapped out that entire maze by hand/ when he played. Although, if I recall correctly, there's actually not much to the maze off the intended path, and going the wrong way usually leads to a dead end fairly quickly. But yeah, even if you do know the way to go, there's something like a dozen separate movements you have to make, and there's kind of a long animation that plays between each one.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Looks like Night Dive's convinced Tommo Inc., the people who own Humongous Entertainment's games, that there's money to be made in doing the impossible. They've teamed up to create a new brand, Retroism, for their endeavors in rescuing games languishing in back catalogues and rereleasing the unrereleasable.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BiggerJ posted:

Looks like Night Dive's convinced Tommo Inc., the people who own Humongous Entertainment's games, that there's money to be made in doing the impossible. They've teamed up to create a new brand, Retroism, for their endeavors in rescuing games languishing in back catalogues and rereleasing the unrereleasable.
They've been doing that for the last few months.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog posted:

They used to be hosted on Startopia Post over a decade ago, but I've preserved the site and all mods here (not guaranteed to be perfect): http://www.mediafire.com/download/owwz99tq5r5naqs/startopia_post_backup.7z
Looks like I was missing a mod, and it's a good basic one, the Custom Skirmish Mod, which lets you fine-tune the kind of competitive sandbox play you want. http://www.mediafire.com/download/53myuehuv6ny2w3/DMA57361+-+Custom+Skirmish+Mod.zip

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 4, 2015

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Codiekitty posted:

I've never heard anyone argue that Tales is the worst Monkey Island. For one thing, it doesn't have the Monkey Combat game (which I admit I haven't tried first-hand because Escape is basically unplayable on XP and above, but it sounds atrocious)

I can see arguing that Tales is most departed Monkey Island game, what with the episodic format and the puzzles generally being more straightforward than the previous games'. And I'll be first to admit that the French doctor feels less like a Monkey Island character and more like a Sam & Max reject. But it has some brilliant puzzles like the doctor's chair in the first episode and the quiz at the beginning of the third episode (well I liked it), the way you get Guybrush out of jail in the fourth episode is one of the funniest things I've seen in a game, and the final boss (for lack of a better thing to call it) is deliciously chilling and brutal. Consensus seems to be that Escape peaks with the swamp puzzle in the first Act.

I think Escape would be a lot more fondly remembered if it weren't for the Monkey Kombat. Does it suck? Yes. Does it make the pacing of the game grind to a halt? Absolutely.

Does the rest of the game suck too? Hell no. It's got some of the funniest gags in the entire series (the SCUMM -> LUA bar, the pirate academy, the diving competition, I could go on). I personally think the reason it has such a bad reputation is because the Monkey Kombat happens so close to the end that it's the main thing people remember afterwards. Maybe a re-release would help redeem it a little bit. :allears:

Also I've been a Monkey Island fan since like 1997 and Tales is the only one I've never finished. They had all the right ingredients but forgot to make it funny. Or interesting.

Or good.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Also I've been a Monkey Island fan since like 1997 and Tales is the only one I've never finished. They had all the right ingredients but forgot to make it funny. Or interesting.

Or good.
If it helps I remember the later chapters being noticeably better than the first couple. I thought in total it hit the Monkey Island formula better than Escape did (although obviously it varies from person to person what they think makes a game more "Monkey Island").

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Trapezium Dave posted:

If it helps I remember the later chapters being noticeably better than the first couple. I thought in total it hit the Monkey Island formula better than Escape did (although obviously it varies from person to person what they think makes a game more "Monkey Island").
Yeah, I agree with this too.Although, I played the whole "season" of episodes when all 5 of them were released, so I didn't have to wait for long periods in-between which could have killed my interest, given that I didn't enjoy much some parts (and a puzzle) of the first episode. Then again, iirc the episodes were released in quite a timely manner, following a much tighter schedule than TellTale seems to have now for their episodic series.

That said, I haven't replayed the game, and apart from some story highlights and a few characters and locations, I can hardly recall details.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I think Escape would be a lot more fondly remembered if it weren't for the Monkey Kombat. Does it suck? Yes. Does it make the pacing of the game grind to a halt? Absolutely.

Does the rest of the game suck too? Hell no. It's got some of the funniest gags in the entire series (the SCUMM -> LUA bar, the pirate academy, the diving competition, I could go on). I personally think the reason it has such a bad reputation is because the Monkey Kombat happens so close to the end that it's the main thing people remember afterwards. Maybe a re-release would help redeem it a little bit. :allears

On top of Monkey Kombat making me quit the game, the rest of it wasn't that funny to me. Elaine's character becomes deeply obnoxious and everything else seems just off frankly, and not that funny.

I love the swamp puzzle though, I thought that was super clever.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Is there even any way to play Escape any more, barring having old hardware handy? It's not been re-released, and it's not supported by Residual or Scumm either, according to their compatibility lists.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JustJeff88 posted:

Is there even any way to play Escape any more, barring having old hardware handy? It's not been re-released, and it's not supported by Residual or Scumm either, according to their compatibility lists.

Escape's very nearly supported by Residual. The current daily build supports it, just not the latest release client.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

JustJeff88 posted:

PCSX2 for the PS2 version maybe?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Let us English posted:

PCSX2 for the PS2 version maybe?

You need a pretty swish machine to run PS2 emulation; I don't know if my modest rig could do it.

In any event, I'm not impatient. I believe Neddy and I fancy that Residual will be updated within no more than a few months so that the public build support Escape. In the meantime, there's still Secret, Revenge and Curse, and that is a lot of game (and monkeys!).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

JustJeff88 posted:

You need a pretty swish machine to run PS2 emulation; I don't know if my modest rig could do it.

In any event, I'm not impatient. I believe Neddy and I fancy that Residual will be updated within no more than a few months so that the public build support Escape. In the meantime, there's still Secret, Revenge and Curse, and that is a lot of game (and monkeys!).

PS2 emulation isn't that demanding these days, but it largely depends on the game.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I am excited for the hardcore strategy experience that is Flatout. I guess 'milestone' is to be taken literally?

That said, AI War Collection for $5.00.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Port Royale 2 looks pretty sweet. Is the combat as terrible as the reviews say it is?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Port Royale 2 looks pretty sweet. Is the combat as terrible as the reviews say it is?

It's really bad. Basically it's your one ship alone vs half their fleet. If your ship dies, the next ship in line steps in and IIRC you can retreat to get a fresh ship (if you have one in your fleet) but it's always 1 v 5. It's stupid and laborious. However, unless you want to raid pirate bases or get a town of your own, it's skippable.

The rest of the game as a trading simulator is pretty sweet, though, if you're into that kind of thing.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy poo poo, they released Cyberia? I never could beat that loving game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Huh, I just found out there was a localised Swedish version of The Longest Journey. But it seems Gog only has it in english, can anyone confirm?

Actually, I wonder whether my original disk has all the different languages...

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Overwined posted:

It's really bad. Basically it's your one ship alone vs half their fleet. If your ship dies, the next ship in line steps in and IIRC you can retreat to get a fresh ship (if you have one in your fleet) but it's always 1 v 5. It's stupid and laborious. However, unless you want to raid pirate bases or get a town of your own, it's skippable.

The rest of the game as a trading simulator is pretty sweet, though, if you're into that kind of thing.

As dumb as the concept of ship combat in PR2 is, I actually kind of prefer it to the later Patrician/Port Royale games that has 3-on-3 (or whatever) fights. In those the braindead AI takes control of whatever ships you're not controlling and tends to get them killed. If you get good enough at the 1-on-many battles in PR2 you can survive with minimal damage, especially when swapping out ships.

At one point I had a profitable business in PR2 selling other peoples' ships--getting into combat, killing off all everyone on enemy ships with the cannonballs that target crew instead of hull, boarding and stealing the now-empty ships, and then selling them. I tried doing that in Port Royale 3 with little luck because the stupid AI controlling my other ships would either sink the enemy ships or take so much damage that it no longer became profitable.

But yeah, combat is kind of not the point of those games.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Toonstruck is now on GOG for $9.99

http://www.gog.com/game/toonstruck

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
The Void is now on GOG for $9.99 with 50% discount that will last until next week.

http://www.gog.com/game/void_the

I guess now would be as good of a time as any for me to grab it. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pengu! posted:

The Void is now on GOG for $9.99 with 50% discount that will last until next week.

http://www.gog.com/game/void_the

I guess now would be as good of a time as any for me to grab it. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

The Void is a weird game. It's very hard and not very user-friendly (also not recommended if you are already feeling somewhat depressed or even have the general blues). It is atmospheric, has original mechanics (that sort of work sometimes and other times they can get you frustrated) and I'd say worth it to see to the end -if you get hooked, but it's definitely not for everyone.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

That's interesting, a GoG game I'd hardly ever heard about and never got a chance to play.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oh, this is wonderful! This is a prime example of those transitional games from DOS to Windows, where nothing's ever easy to set up (or, heck, get to work!) properly.

And the game is pretty much Who Framed Roger Rabbit, but with raunchier jokes and Christopher Lloyd having a ball.

E:

That bloody fetishist cow! :ghitler:

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 10, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Void is obtuse, pretentious, unforgiving, and one of the best games I've ever played.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I enjoyed The Void, as weird as it was, once I installed the mod that disabled head bobbing, because that was giving me terrible motion sickness. gently caress if I understood the ending though (I guess that's to be expected with Ice-Pick Lodge).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yet another thing to remind me that I used to be able to watch things Ben Stein did.

Game is still pretty good though, in that 90's adventure game more concerned with its world and characters than gameplay way.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There's also a contest to photoshop yourself (and your friends if you have any) into Toonstruck. http://www.gog.com/news/contest_put_yourself_in_toonstruck

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
There's a new version of the Timbres of Heaven MIDI soundfont out now. It's probably my favorite soundfont. Make all your old DOS games sound great! Here's a sample of it with the Doom 2 level 1 theme.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1285124/d_runnin.mp3

Download here: http://midkar.com/soundfonts/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Void is the kind of game Roger Ebert would have some good things to say about because it has boobs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Commander Keenan posted:

There's a new version of the Timbres of Heaven MIDI soundfont out now. It's probably my favorite soundfont. Make all your old DOS games sound great! Here's a sample of it with the Doom 2 level 1 theme.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1285124/d_runnin.mp3

Download here: http://midkar.com/soundfonts/

I've hit a wall trying to do this a couple times before. I think I need a MIDI driver of some kind to make use of this, configure the driver to use the sound font, and then configure DOSBox to use it?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It's my fault for ignoring the warning signs but: wow, Paper Sorcerer is a real piece of poo poo. This game may have one of the worst user interfaces I can remember in an RPG, it's all console-RPG menus, only laid out even worse, with weirdly unresponsive lags between pages of the menus so everything takes absurd amounts of time. On top of that, it has an awful soundtrack you can't turn off: it sounds like the dev(s?) just trolled the internet for "royalty free video game music" and picked the first things they found. I just wanted a playable first person dungeon crawler for my laptop, my standards were pretty low, but this game feels awful. It's not just that it's ugly, it's slow and cumbersome.

It's a shame because there are glimmers of cool ideas, like the combat system seems okay, and the art style during exploration is really great, but the experience of playing it is so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It was also kind of made by one dude.