Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The part that bothers me the most is that she apparently can't speak like a regular person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Hazo posted:

I saw a couple of these on late night tv yesterday. It's pretty much the live action version of that image-- her being bathed by female servants interspersed with clips from past Game of War commercials. It's hilariously condescending and weird, and the worst part is that at the end they said something like "see more tomorrow," which means we might actually see a Super Bowl commercial for this stupid generic freemium game. I have no idea how they have the budget to do this unless Kate Upton's boobs and monotone have really been that profitable for them.

Yeah, I'm...genuinely amazed that these commercials are still happening, at this point. They're so laughably bad, and Kate Upton so clearly has no idea what she's doing in them. I'd be interested to find out how effective they actually are, although the answer will probably depress me. It's one of those things where my initial reaction is, "Holy God, this is so bad, there's no way this can lead to the sales they want." And then I remember, "No, there are people that are that easy to manipulate actually."

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Sash! posted:

The part that bothers me the most is that she apparently can't speak like a regular person

She really can't act to save her life.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, she's not an actress, she's a model. Unfortunately models seem to believe that they can totally make that transition.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For all the actors who we say 'can't act', it can be tricky to remember that the actual baseline- able to read lines with inflection- is not very common.

Upton actually cannot do that and it's rare to see.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
So since no one seems to have broken the ice, i'll just do it and say the superbowl is bad and its commercials are bad and i was barely paying attention during the breaks, did I miss anything fun

other than nationwide's "I'm a dead child haha" ad

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

snickers brady bunch ad owned completely

E: oh yeah you saw it last page

E2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2iurDi8mrc oh my god the teaser :lol:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 2, 2015

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Vicas posted:

So since no one seems to have broken the ice, i'll just do it and say the superbowl is bad and its commercials are bad and i was barely paying attention during the breaks, did I miss anything fun

other than nationwide's "I'm a dead child haha" ad

There was Budweiser with "We're not a puny weak micro-brewery, we're a MACRO-brew :smug:"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siHU_9ec94c

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I did see that one and it was amazing. My favorite part was them opening Bud with a bottle opener for no reason, or possibly the "just drink beer, don't enjoy it" vibe that permeated the whole thing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vicas posted:

I did see that one and it was amazing. My favorite part was them opening Bud with a bottle opener for no reason, or possibly the "just drink beer, don't enjoy it" vibe that permeated the whole thing

I could have sworn that Budweiser made a statement a while back that they were going to drop the Clydesdales this'd year for an ad targeting hipsters. Making fun of a peach pumpkin ale certainly isn't going to do that.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
it's the hipster double down: all the hipsters in your hipster social group are drinking cool microbrews so to be different you're gonna go mainstream (ironically) and drink your Budweiser from a Red White and Blue America can

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
All of this in the wake of them announcing that they purchased Elysian Brewing just last week.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, it's not like Anheuser-Bush/InBev doesn't already own some microbreweries, and also bottle a lot of beers that LOOK like some fancy microbrew but aren't.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked the Chevy "buy our huge rear end truck because it'll get you laid" ads. My friend and I were playing a game where we would try to guess what product the commercial is for before it finished.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Iron Crowned posted:

I could have sworn that Budweiser made a statement a while back that they were going to drop the Clydesdales this'd year for an ad targeting hipsters. Making fun of a peach pumpkin ale certainly isn't going to do that.

I think the "getting rid of the Clydesdales" was somebody misinterpreting what Bud wanted to do, but they definitely wanted to target younger people. The Macro-Brew ad feels like a big misstep to me. Younger people drink craft brew in way higher numbers than older people, and Bud has been losing market share because of that. Going around and insulting a huge swath of the country that normally drinks craft beer is a good way to make sure those young people stay very far away.

It's pretty funny too, since Anheuser-Busch has bought out a bunch of craft breweries, so they're essentially making fun of their own products. They own Goose Island and Elysian, plus tons of foreign brands. Also, the whole ad just reeks of, "we make crap beer that you guzzle by the gallon, you don't really want to try and actually taste it."

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
I thought they were done airing this awful Charter commercial but it came on during the Puppy Bowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA6GLHTdcVo

I hate it so much.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DapperDinosaur posted:

I thought they were done airing this awful Charter commercial but it came on during the Puppy Bowl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA6GLHTdcVo

I hate it so much.

I will cause unspeakable harm to everyone involved in the production of this.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Meltathon posted:

I think the "getting rid of the Clydesdales" was somebody misinterpreting what Bud wanted to do, but they definitely wanted to target younger people. The Macro-Brew ad feels like a big misstep to me. Younger people drink craft brew in way higher numbers than older people, and Bud has been losing market share because of that. Going around and insulting a huge swath of the country that normally drinks craft beer is a good way to make sure those young people stay very far away.

It's pretty funny too, since Anheuser-Busch has bought out a bunch of craft breweries, so they're essentially making fun of their own products. They own Goose Island and Elysian, plus tons of foreign brands. Also, the whole ad just reeks of, "we make crap beer that you guzzle by the gallon, you don't really want to try and actually taste it."

I dunno why people think they should be concerned about attacking their own brands, if anything the ad will get people who like Bud to keep drinking Bud and people who like craft beer to keep drinking craft beer, and they win both scenarios. Obviously Budweiser themselves are pretty concerned with their flagging sales but along with Bud Light it's still the most popular beer brand in the US by a significant margin (that said, Bud Light does more than 2/3rds of the work in that figure, it's insane how popular it is)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm torn on the Budweiser ad because on the one hand beer snobs usually are pretty insufferable. But on the other hand, despite the fact that I drink it when I go for cheap domestic beer, Bud is pretty bad.

The best commercial during the Super Bowl was the Snickers one. The second best was the dead kid Nationwide one because it spawned this:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I sorta stopped paying attention at some point so I missed that it was about a ghost

That was a tl;dw commercial for me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can't believe Clash of loving Clans had a superbowl ad. And that it was hilarious and I enjoyed it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

I can't believe Clash of loving Clans had a superbowl ad. And that it was hilarious and I enjoyed it.

Their ads in general are kind of cute but they play them so drat often.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TMMadman posted:

I'm torn on the Budweiser ad because on the one hand beer snobs usually are pretty insufferable. But on the other hand, despite the fact that I drink it when I go for cheap domestic beer, Bud is pretty bad.

The best commercial during the Super Bowl was the Snickers one. The second best was the dead kid Nationwide one because it spawned this:

My god, that Nationwide commercial was so bad that it spawned a microcosm of this thread discussion amongst my friends for about ten minutes afterwards. It was loving special.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PT6A posted:

Still not gonna make me want to play Clash of Clans, though.

On the subject of terrible Super Bowl commercials, my wife dug up this one from 1999 that I somehow don't remember seeing or hearing of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6fDLMKsf6U

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

raditts posted:

Still not gonna make me want to play Clash of Clans, though.

On the subject of terrible Super Bowl commercials, my wife dug up this one from 1999 that I somehow don't remember seeing or hearing of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6fDLMKsf6U

Fun fact: Just For Feet sued the add agency that made it, JFF lost and went bankrupt less than a year afterward.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, it's not like Anheuser-Bush/InBev doesn't already own some microbreweries, and also bottle a lot of beers that LOOK like some fancy microbrew but aren't.

Reminder that Darren Rovell thinks Blue Moon is the pinnacle of microbrewing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't remember many ads from super bowls past but goddamn I will never forget one by Monster.com from either the 98 or 99 super bowl.

I hope all those kids grew up to get the jobs they wanted :unsmith:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Vicas posted:

I dunno why people think they should be concerned about attacking their own brands, if anything the ad will get people who like Bud to keep drinking Bud and people who like craft beer to keep drinking craft beer, and they win both scenarios. Obviously Budweiser themselves are pretty concerned with their flagging sales but along with Bud Light it's still the most popular beer brand in the US by a significant margin (that said, Bud Light does more than 2/3rds of the work in that figure, it's insane how popular it is)

Well they don't really win because despite Bud owning some craft breweries, there are way way way more that they don't own. Craft beer sales as a total, just passed Budweiser not too long ago. Bud's problem is that the people who like to drink Bud are old and getting older, and so they're going to continue to lose market share unless they attract a younger crowd, which they won't with this ad because it insults that exact crowd.

I drink plenty of craft beer, but I also drink plenty of macro-brew beer when I want to drink something either cheap or light. Lots of people who drink craft beer do the same thing. To me this ad just says to me to never ever drink Bud, even if I want something cheap, which is why it's a bad ad.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Meltathon posted:

Well they don't really win because despite Bud owning some craft breweries, there are way way way more that they don't own. Craft beer sales as a total, just passed Budweiser not too long ago. Bud's problem is that the people who like to drink Bud are old and getting older, and so they're going to continue to lose market share unless they attract a younger crowd, which they won't with this ad because it insults that exact crowd.

I drink plenty of craft beer, but I also drink plenty of macro-brew beer when I want to drink something either cheap or light. Lots of people who drink craft beer do the same thing. To me this ad just says to me to never ever drink Bud, even if I want something cheap, which is why it's a bad ad.

The kind of people who got insulted are the kind of people who wouldn't consider Bud often anyway, so its no big loss.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

This is probably my favorite Super Bowl ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crq3FJ_vE2Q

Well, apart from Terry Tate: Office Linebacker, but I think that goes without saying.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

McSpanky posted:

I haven't found like, production credits for the ad or anything but yeah, that's totally Brandon Keener a.k.a. Garrus from Mass Effect. That commercial placement sounds about as magical as this infamous one from BSG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zcum6lPrRo

It's five in the morning and I'm cackling like a loving idiot

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
pretty much every single Super Bowl ad was a huge overreach. though the Brady Bunch Snickers one was really funny. actually now that I think about it Snickers has had pretty consistantly funny commercials for a while now. the Patrick Ewing one they were running 6-7 years ago still cracks me up.

that said, the rest were mostly cringeworthy, that McDonalds "pay with lovin" idea is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard from a major corporation, the bonercar ad made no sense whatsoever, Clash of Clans w/ Liam Neesons was pretty awesome, lol @ at this Game of War: Fire Age garbage.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Hoz2ZHYZM

this goes here

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
But I don't hate any of that

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's pretty fantastic

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ninjahedgehog posted:

This is probably my favorite Super Bowl ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crq3FJ_vE2Q

Well, apart from Terry Tate: Office Linebacker, but I think that goes without saying.

Phone postin, this better be the dancing monkey

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ayn rand hand job posted:

Phone postin, this better be the dancing monkey
Of course it is

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Little Ceaser's gimmick is you walk right in and buy a premade pizza they just reheat. Cool, they're cheap and if you just want a quick dinner that's okay I guess. The problem is that they keep trying to burn Pizza Hut and Dominos with this line of thinking "Who wants to go on such a COMPLICATED website and order a pizza!?".

I've used the Pizza Hut site. It's literally just picking what you want, it's doesn't require an advanced degree Little Ceasers.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Little Ceaser's gimmick is you walk right in and buy a premade pizza they just reheat. Cool, they're cheap and if you just want a quick dinner that's okay I guess. The problem is that they keep trying to burn Pizza Hut and Dominos with this line of thinking "Who wants to go on such a COMPLICATED website and order a pizza!?".

I've used the Pizza Hut site. It's literally just picking what you want, it's doesn't require an advanced degree Little Ceasers.

but what if you end up with a none pizza with left beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Vicas posted:

but what if you end up with a none pizza with left beef

The newest commercial shows a guy using the COMPLICATED site and going insane when he needs to choose his topping and ~GASP~ enter a coupon code.

"You could do that...or just walk in :smug:"