Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

http://icantgetlaidinthistown.blogspot.ca/2011/07/summer-of-89-part-3-hundered-million.html?m=1

Interesting essay about GB2. I'm not sure if all of his facts are correct, though; near the end, he states that Reitman is the reason gb3 'will never happen' (written in 2011). Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

I hope the movie turns out to be the original Ghostbusters exists in the new film universe as the 80s movie, its sequel, a video game and a few cartoons series and comics.

Then, the entire film is everyone commenting on their every action, choice and personality and judging it by the standards of what happened in the original film.

Aykroyd and Sony and Filmation lawyers replace Peck as the main red-tape antagonist, showing up and telling them to shut it down, shut it all down, due to unapproved use of the names and trademarks owned jointly by those groups.

I love that idea.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Timby posted:

Amazing that people are giving up on a movie just because the starring cast members don't have testicles.

I'm not giving up on it as much because of sex as I am that those are some huge, HUGE boots to fill, and given the current styles of movie making, isn't going to be anywhere near as awesome as the original. And no matter how much it's shouted and repeated this is a reboot, it's still going to be compared to the original that it will not measure up to

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

http://icantgetlaidinthistown.blogspot.ca/2011/07/summer-of-89-part-3-hundered-million.html?m=1

Interesting essay about GB2. I'm not sure if all of his facts are correct, though; near the end, he states that Reitman is the reason gb3 'will never happen' (written in 2011). Is that true?

Incredible read.

They wouldn't make Ghostbusters 2, but they had to make Leonard Part 6 :psyboom:

After reading the article maybe the reboot can work if it comes from a place of trying to be original and entertaining, and not being made for the sole purpose of making money through nostalgia.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 1, 2015

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

JediTalentAgent posted:

I hope the movie turns out to be the original Ghostbusters exists in the new film universe as the 80s movie, its sequel, a video game and a few cartoons series and comics.

Then, the entire film is everyone commenting on their every action, choice and personality and judging it by the standards of what happened in the original film.

Aykroyd and Sony and Filmation lawyers replace Peck as the main red-tape antagonist, showing up and telling them to shut it down, shut it all down, due to unapproved use of the names and trademarks owned jointly by those groups.

This is clever and it would be an awesome way to take everyone's complaints head-on and make it work to their advantage.
Everyone in the city would have to doubt ghosts are real except for the few who actually are getting spooked, until it blows up in a big catastrophe much like the first film.
It would be a way to make the structure of GB1 work for you without it feeling like a total rehash, and even though it IS a reboot if done properly it wouldn't necessarily feel like one.

I like it. It won't happen.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The one sort of downside to it is that it could become something like another Sony big-budget supernatural comedy remake: Bewitched. A film that treated the idea of the concept of Bewitched was not only an in-universe TV show, but there was an in-universe plot that was playing out that mirrored and was aware of that 'fictional' property, too.

I'll throw this out there. SF/Fantasy/Horror-Comedy is a very difficult genre of film do to well and be received well. No matter the opinion on the new GB cast and direction, it's a genre that has produced several huge budgeted flops in the last 20 years, all things considered, in addition to the hits.

It' seems like a formula that is hard to try to get to work right.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It is not, and the author makes a ridiculous leap of logic to reach that conclusion. He's right in that no sequel could move forward without the consent of Reitman, Aykroyd, Ramis and Murray, but Murray was always the hold-up, and while Sony commissioned scripts with and without his character, they were always reluctant to move forward with a Murray-less sequel, seeing him (correctly) as the glue that really brought the first movie together and as the biggest marketing asset they could get.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SocketWrench posted:

I'm not giving up on it as much because of sex as I am that those are some huge, HUGE boots to fill, and given the current styles of movie making, isn't going to be anywhere near as awesome as the original. And no matter how much it's shouted and repeated this is a reboot, it's still going to be compared to the original that it will not measure up to

This 'lightning in a bottle' poo poo is straight ridiculous. Fans have lost all sense of perspective, and it's like "oh woe! Nothing will ever be as good as the first time. There'll never be a funnier comedian than Ernie Hudson! His powers were sent by Zeus himself, and now the gods have forsaken us!!!"

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This 'lightning in a bottle' poo poo is straight ridiculous. Fans have lost all sense of perspective, and it's like "oh woe! Nothing will ever be as good as the first time. There'll never be a funnier comedian than Bill Murray! His powers were sent by Zeus himself, and now the gods have forsaken us!!!"

Now your post makes no sense.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

This 'lightning in a bottle' poo poo is straight ridiculous. Fans have lost all sense of perspective, and it's like "oh woe! Nothing will ever be as good as the first time. There'll never be a funnier comedian than Ernie Hudson! His powers were sent by Zeus himself, and now the gods have forsaken us!!!"

To me, "lightning in a bottle" means a film that was in the right place, right time, and achieved some sort of inexplicable je ne sais quoi. Ghostbusters is a fine example because they made the same movie, same ingredients, in 1989, and it was just off.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ave Azaria posted:

To me, "lightning in a bottle" means a film that was in the right place, right time, and achieved some sort of inexplicable je ne sais quoi. Ghostbusters is a fine example because they made the same movie, same ingredients, in 1989, and it was just off.

For a good example see MiB compared to RIPD.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mooseontheloose posted:

For a good example see MiB compared to RIPD.

Or even better;

MIB to MIB II.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Or even better;

MIB to MIB II.

I appreciate what MiB 2 was trying to do, much like GB2.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I should have known that you'd eventually out yourself as a white supremacist.

Look, some movies just capture the spirit of the age and just capture the work and vision of many people working well together perfectly and beautifully, like flies in amber. It would be like trying to make more Star Wars movies after the early 1980s, which thank god nobody has tried.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ave Azaria posted:

They switched cinematographers from László Kovács to Michael Chapman - which isn't a downgrade, but is going to have a much different result.

And more importantly: despite having a similar plot structure the sequel is, thematically, completely different. The whole narrative centers around a single mother's fears that her baby will grow up 'wrong'. The original film was about Venkman trying to prevent Dana from falling in love with Louis - an 'unnatural' pairing that he likens to "dogs and cats, living together!"

With such a totally different meaning, the only way to 'keep things the same' would be to take a totally different approach and make Dana the protagonist who takes over where the four guys left off.

Hopefully you see the joke here: the simplest way to save Ghostbusters II would be to take the focus off the four dudes and have it center around a female protagonist.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

CelticPredator posted:

Or even better;

MIB to MIB II.

Hangover 1 to Hangover 2.

You can't simply 'repeat' an original product. This is what most sequels fail to realize. Books understand this (such as Harry Potter and in turn the movies), where the original concept gets expanded instead of repeated.

Even this year had Dumb and Dumber To, which was almost the exact same movie as the original. In fact this is the biggest issue: Dramas, Thrillers, Action movies are kind of pre-designed to have sequels. People like watching explosions and violence and just mixing it into different scenarios will make it work. Comedies are different - especially funny ones. You can't simply "repeat a joke" and you also don't know if the new jokes will work either. The exception seems to be animated movies because the target demo is different.

I just rewatched Ghostbusters the other day and what still makes the movie "click" is:
1. Every scene introducing a character tells you everything you need to know about that character - without spoon feeding.

2. The movie has perfect pacing- scene by scene.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hopefully you see the joke here: the simplest way to save Ghostbusters II would be to take the focus off the four dudes and have it center around a female protagonist.

Secret Ghostbusters movie: An entire film is about a non-Dana character dealing with horrific supernatural stuff happening in her life and her baby and no one believes her, she's all alone facing the horrors of the otherworldly, then the final 10 minutes of the film is her finally calling Ghostbusters who solve all her problems and leave her with a bill and a wrecked apartment.

Ghostbusters theme song cheerfully blaring and taking us to credits as she curls up in what's left of her ruined apartment, clutching her baby, speechless.

Sort of an American version of Big Man Japan.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

My favourite part about this was about Columbia CEO David Puttnam who apparently hated every single facet of the modern Hollywood blockbuster.

Also that word of mouth effect on Star Trek V, wow.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

Or even better;

MIB to MIB II.

MiB 3 was pretty good though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Antti posted:

My favourite part about this was about Columbia CEO David Puttnam who apparently hated every single facet of the modern Hollywood blockbuster.

Also that word of mouth effect on Star Trek V, wow.

I like the idea that the original GB was supposed to be Aykroyd and Belushi fighting ghosts in outer space.

In other words, fittingly, Men in Black.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JediTalentAgent posted:

Secret Ghostbusters movie: An entire film is about a non-Dana character dealing with horrific supernatural stuff happening in her life and her baby and no one believes her, she's all alone facing the horrors of the otherworldly, then the final 10 minutes of the film is her finally calling Ghostbusters who solve all her problems and leave her with a bill and a wrecked apartment.

That's not entirely necessary, but think of the ending of Ghostbusters 2:

Which character is missing from this painting? You have the four guys arranged inside that circular composition, each holding their symbolic object. But where's Dana?

Sidenote: Egon erroneously identifies the painting as "Late Renaissance, I think. Caravaggio or Brunelleschi." Filippo Brunelleschi died over fifty years before the Late Renaissance and, though he did paint (and is often credited with developing fixed-point perspective), he was really an architect. The painting looks nothing like Caravaggio either, most obviously lacking his trademark high-contrast chiaroscuro.

The painting more closely resembles (to the extent that it resembles anything) the work of High Renaissance artists like Raphael or Del Sarto, albeit with chintzy rays of light and anachronistic studio-lit photorealism. In the Late Renaissance, you would typically see complex, exaggerated poses designed to show off the painters' technical virtuosity. You also wouldn't really see this sort of symmetrical composition, which would be considered unfashionably 'rational' and 'balanced'.

It's most notable that the characters aren't interacting with baby Oscar in any way - not even looking at him. That's something you'd never get in a real Renaissance painting. They took a few stabs at including symbolic hand gestures, and have Murray staring up at heaven, but that's about it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sidenote: Egon erroneously identifies the painting as "Late Renaissance, I think. Caravaggio or Brunelleschi."

Except he doesn't say that at all. The line is:

Egon posted:

"Early Renaissance, I think. Raphael or Piero della Francesca."

Both of whom are firmly Renaissance artists and did do pieces similar in style to the GB painting.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The_Doctor posted:

Except he doesn't say that at all. The line is:

Both of whom are firmly Renaissance artists and did do pieces similar in style to the GB painting.

Welp, I was quoting the final draft of the script. I guess someone tried to fix the art-world technobabble.

However, they didn't do too well. That painting doesn't look like Della Francesca's work at all, and Raphael was around seven years old when the Early Renaissance ended. In fact, the entire High Renaissance roughly corresponded to Raphael's lifetime, ending with his death in 1520.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Also, it's a joke.

:haw:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Jokes are meaningful. The entire conflict of the film is summarized by the painting being changed from an angry man standing by himself to an innocent baby surrounded by these guardian figures. The ghostbusters are saving Oscar from a lovely single-parent upbringing, which is a bizarre message.

And then they depict this metaphorically through the restoration of a "Renaissance" painting.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 4, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

All I can say is that it would have been better had the guys been surrounding Dana, who was holding Oscar.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Welp, I was quoting the final draft of the script. I guess someone tried to fix the art-world technobabble.

However, they didn't do too well. That painting doesn't look like Della Francesca's work at all, and Raphael was around seven years old when the Early Renaissance ended. In fact, the entire High Renaissance roughly corresponded to Raphael's lifetime, ending with his death in 1520.

lol jesus christ

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I wrote that the dialogue is not accurate and, in fact, neither version of the dialogue is accurate.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

That's not entirely necessary, but think of the ending of Ghostbusters 2:

Which character is missing from this painting? You have the four guys arranged inside that circular composition, each holding their symbolic object. But where's Dana?

Important question, would she have been depicted as semi-topless to match the outfits of the rest of the gang? I don't fully know how the artists of the referenced era depicted female characters in such works and I want to imagine Dana there with some cultural/artistic/historical accuracy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

computer parts posted:

MiB 3 was pretty good though.

It really was yes. That is a good sequel. It takes the idea, expands upon it, and even adds in a nice emotional core to the whole thing. It's a little slow, and not as flashy as the other films; but the story isn't rushed and ends up working out in the end.

It still gets me all vlakempt. :unsmith:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JediTalentAgent posted:

Important question, would she have been depicted as semi-topless to match the outfits of the rest of the gang? I don't fully know how the artists of the referenced era depicted female characters in such works and I want to imagine Dana there with some cultural/artistic/historical accuracy.

Well here's an actual painting by Raphael, of the Madonna with child flanked by two saints. The second is a slightly later painting by Del Sarto, and depicts roughly the same subject matter (although the two saints are different characters).

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

It really was yes. That is a good sequel. It takes the idea, expands upon it, and even adds in a nice emotional core to the whole thing. It's a little slow, and not as flashy as the other films; but the story isn't rushed and ends up working out in the end.

It still gets me all vlakempt. :unsmith:

I've only seen the first half of MiB3 but I thought Tommy Lee Jones looked completely bored with the whole thing, it was kind of distracting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's only it in it for a little bit and is replaced by the Josh Brolin, who's amazing as Young Kay.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Clipperton posted:

I've only seen the first half of MiB3 but I thought Tommy Lee Jones looked completely bored with the whole thing

He really was. Dude had no interest in doing the movie which resulted in them coming up with the time-travel idea.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Timby posted:

He really was. Dude had no interest in doing the movie which resulted in them coming up with the time-travel idea.

That's annoying to hear, since by all accounts he was absolutely having a ball throughout the first one.

I remember hearing stories of how, like, Will Smith hated the slime scene at the end and was constantly complaining about how gross it was, and in response Jones was all like MORE SLIME :haw:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Data Graham posted:

That's annoying to hear, since by all accounts he was absolutely having a ball throughout the first one.

I remember hearing stories of how, like, Will Smith hated the slime scene at the end and was constantly complaining about how gross it was, and in response Jones was all like MORE SLIME :haw:

I hope that's the reason why Edgar's thorax survives the gut explosion just to get blown up by Linda Fiorentino and drench them in a second wave of hideous brown bug goo, that's magnificent.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

McSpanky posted:

I hope that's the reason why Edgar's thorax survives the gut explosion just to get blown up by Linda Fiorentino and drench them in a second wave of hideous brown bug goo, that's magnificent.

Apparently, Linda Florentino is a terror to work with :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Apparently, Linda Florentino is a terror to work with :allears:

I've heard that a few times. I remember Kevin Smith being very diplomatic about it, but also dropping major hints that Dogma wasn't a fun shoot due to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MIB3 is a perfect sequel to MIB1. They're directly related in events and themes. It's actually BETTER for the overall story to ignore MIB2 because it's so out-of-place.

• Locked thread