Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Haruharuharuko posted:

"Hey we need this table"
"But I'ts holding up"
"Taking it!"

Hospital. Has to be. Classic health care worker approach to IT.
(Yes, I work in hospital IT.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haruharuharuko posted:

"Hey we need this table"
"But I'ts holding up"
"Taking it!"

Why does the monitor cable disappear into a hole in the wall?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tiggum posted:

Why does the monitor cable disappear into a hole in the wall?

It's wired up to a monitor and/or projector elsewhere in the room, usually.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Jabor posted:

It's wired up to a monitor and/or projector elsewhere in the room, usually.

Or another room. Like in an operating room where as much as possible must be sterile it's nice to have such hard-to-clean dust traps outside, typically with just a touchscreen in the OR itself, often with disposable foil wrapping.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

:boom:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
More fun about the bridge, looks like the land owner had not applied for any permits or approvals for the work at all. It's both a known hazardous area with a lot of clay + the stream running in that small valley is protected because of the fish in it.

Google translated link.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Supradog posted:

More fun about the bridge, looks like the land owner had not applied for any permits or approvals for the work at all. It's both a known hazardous area with a lot of clay + the stream running in that small valley is protected because of the fish in it.

Google translated link.

Wow. I guess now everyone is going to frown sternly at him, until he promises not to do it again. :ohdear:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Supradog posted:

Google translated link.

Sounds slightly like what happened in Delaware last summer. A contractor was dumping dirt in a pile against the support of a bridge over the Christina River. It eventually pushed a column out of line and started cracking it. Thankfully it was noticed before it hurt anyone.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Supradog posted:

Google translated link.

"This bulldozer is in the mudslide."

indeed

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
What the hell were these guys even doing? And are they now dead?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's clearly a grenade so I'd guess they're in a pretty bad way yeah.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Sham I Am posted:

Look at the city boy who has never been fishing

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Sham I Am posted:

Fishing with dynamite, apart from with a grenade instead, and a fundamental failure to understand grenades.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
They were fine.

link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2181552/When-grenade-fishing-goes-terribly-terribly-wrong.html

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Sham I Am posted:

It's fake. They're face and hands disappear as soon as the explosion starts.
edit: guess I'm an idiot!

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
:laffo:they cooked the grenade to long.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

tragic. they should have died.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm way beaten on this but holy :stare:

My dumb OSHA story:

When I was about 13 years old I was with my dad while he was running errands and he had to stop in to the warehouse of the pool table and general pub/fun game place he works at. There was a customer there who was picking up a pool table or something that he had to put together. However, for some reason it was stacked on top of the warehouse shelving in an area where the forklift couldn't get the forks underneath it and lift it up. This customer worked in construction, so my father, in his infinite wisdom, had the customer get in the forklift and drive it, and my dad stood on the two forks of the forklift as it lifted him about eight feet in the air. Then, he bent over and slid the table onto the forklift, then stood on the pool table that was on the forklift while the customer turned the forklift around and lowered the table.

I didn't know much about jobs or workplace standards or anything like that yet, but I was old enough to know that what I was seeing was absolutely ridiculous.

I used to temp at a small company warehouse where one day the VP tried getting me to stand on a forklift and go up on a shelf to count some merch because they were to lazy to get it down. I basically said lol no and when they threatened to let me go if I didn't, my manager informed the VP that he used to work for OSHA and just mayyyyyyybe they'd like to hear about this and some other stupid poo poo going on in the warehouse.

When they went to get the pallet down later that day the forklift driver moved back too far and clipped a sprinkler line which soaked quite a few shelves :v:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ople-ntsb-says/
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20140531X12318&key=1

quote:

The accident flight was not recorded. The GoPro recordings revealed that the pilot and various passengers were taking self-photographs with their cell phones and, during the night flight, using the camera’s flash function during the takeoff roll, initial climb, and flight in the traffic pattern.

quote:

Based on the wreckage distribution, which was consistent with a high-speed impact, and the degraded visual reference conditions, it is likely that the pilot experienced spatial disorientation and lost control of the airplane. The evidence is consistent with an aerodynamic stall and subsequent spin into terrain. Based on the evidence of cell phone use during low-altitude maneuvering, including the flight immediately before the accident flight, it is likely that cell phone use during the accident flight distracted the pilot and contributed to the development of spatial disorientation and subsequent loss of control.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Or maybe he was just a lovely pilot and/or made a mistake.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A bunch of oil refinery workers are on strike. Collectively they'll be shutting down about 10% of the US's gasoline production capacity.

http://www.ibtimes.com/oil-refinery-strike-steelworkers-strike-against-big-oil-nine-plants-across-country-1803888

One of the key issues is excessively long working hours (like, 15+ days of 12+ hours a day straight) and safety conditions (there have been a slew of accidents lately, many involving injuries and a few fatalities).

During the stoppage, managers are doing the jobs of the workers, which is obviously perfectly safe and not a problem at all, one assumes.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Cool!

Leperflesh posted:

During the stoppage, managers are doing the jobs of the workers, which is obviously perfectly safe and not a problem at all, one assumes.

This will almost certainly end in tears. And a CSB video. You know, with the 3D animated people.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 4, 2015

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

A bunch of oil refinery workers are on strike. Collectively they'll be shutting down about 10% of the US's gasoline production capacity.

http://www.ibtimes.com/oil-refinery-strike-steelworkers-strike-against-big-oil-nine-plants-across-country-1803888

One of the key issues is excessively long working hours (like, 15+ days of 12+ hours a day straight) and safety conditions (there have been a slew of accidents lately, many involving injuries and a few fatalities).

This terrifies me cause the same can happen in my industry and I'm in no way as experienced and capable of driving a haul truck as someone who's done it for 20 years. Basically any time you make the managers with college degrees run equipment productivity is going to drop like a rock and people are gonna gently caress up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Leperflesh posted:

Process Safety Management requires formal training for any operations job on covered processes (ie everything in a refinery) so scabs are technically held to the same standards as any green operator. Pay no attention that formal training isn't independently accredited and the main criteria during safety audits is "training exists y/n."

Management and engineer scabs are usually sufficient for normal operation but it starts getting terrifying on safety and efficiency standpoints during start-ups or preparing for major maintenance work. If something goes on long enough there's contract scabs too, which can know a lot about chemical operations to help during the crazier stuff, while coming along with the baggage that there's often a reason they are doing contract work and don't have permanent employment.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

That sucks, and I hope their demands are met...

But goddamn, hands up all around who else thought "Well gently caress, gas just dipped below $2 a gallon!".

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

That sucks, and I hope their demands are met...

But goddamn, hands up all around who else thought "Well gently caress, gas just dipped below $2 a gallon!".

I dunno I'd pay a few cents on the gallon if it means I'm not filling my tank with gasoline harvested from the corpses of a hundred oil workers. :shrug:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Minrad posted:

I dunno I'd pay a few cents on the gallon if it means I'm not filling my tank with gasoline harvested from the corpses of a hundred oil workers. :shrug:
Not to demean improved safety since its a separate and easier to address issue, but never read Private Empire, oil's human toll from geopolitics dwarfs a dozen workers in as many years.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
More MSHA fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cXnxGIDhOA

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Holy gently caress!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUnOpL4pKoY

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Jesus, is that the one that just happened?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chicken Doodle posted:

Jesus, is that the one that just happened?

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iw3v-uM4E

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A related video on that first one has an angle from another car:

http://youtu.be/-4iw3v-uM4E

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Why do Asian countries have so many problems with airliners?

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Saying that "plane clips bridge and crashes" is not like "Titanic clips iceberg and sinks." That looks like a pretty horrendous stall unless the distortion is throwing the angle off, poor bridge just happened to be in the way of crashing plane.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Having seen this several times it still seems amazing that there were no injuries from this happening with how fast it must have happened. How fast can you evacuate a mine?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

VelociBacon posted:

Why do Asian countries have so many problems with airliners?

most of them modeled their pilot training programs after the japanese air force

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Lutha Mahtin posted:

most of them modeled their pilot training programs after the japanese air force

i thought they used 9/11 training videos

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Serious answer- lots more people, lots more airplanes and flights. You would expect more total accidents in that part of the world than anywhere else.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I was about to get on you about posting an obvious fake but then I scrolled down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Actually unbelievable. Came to post a screenshot I saw of the crash, got the video instead. :psyduck:

• Locked thread